Sign in to follow this  
Jberg

[DONE] Rarity System

Okay, started a new page on the wiki that I was supremely surprised hadn't been started yet. It is still in its infancy and could do very well with further examples, expansion and additions. If anyone have proven maths in regards to this, it'd be an impressive addition.

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Rarity_system

• Like 2

A small data point: a rare carving knife gives product (e.g. a shaft or kindling) max 1QL higher than the raw resource (which is usually the cap).

Coal Piles

When a coal pile goes rare (which has a better chance of happening when you use a rare item), it has an increased chance of churning out rare tar, ash, or charcoal.

Sacrificing Rares

I've noticed that heavily damaged rares do not always grant a refresh. It's more of a chance, with the higher QL/less damage yielding a higher chance. 

Rare Tools

As Pandalet mentioned, rare tools often yield a higher QL. My carving knife gives me a 1QL bonus off of the material max (i.e. as Pandalet explained, 50QL log yielding 51QL shafts) - this is also true for making additional materials. 50QL Log -> 51QL Shafts -> 52QL pegs. A friend of mine has also said the same for rare saws.

Coins

As this is asked often in CA HELP. Rare coins are worth the same as their face value, and may be sacrificed the same as other rares for a refresh or for skill in the case of supreme+. 

Also, we have Rare item, and Rare item Talk. There's also Supreme item and Fantastic item - it seems to me that we may want to merge all of these into a more concise page. 

Edited by Keenan
Found rare pages

I kind of think that's a great idea. Let me see what I can do while I am sitting here doing an order for 1k planks

Edit: 

So after looking over all of the pages that Keenan listed I think I have a fair sense of what information should be put onto what pages. I think that I am gonna use Jberg's Rarity System page as the main page and just make sub lvls of text on that page one for each rarity level. Keeping it brief of course. 

Edited by Zachariah

well thats looking good so far,but i think the rare coins would go better in a page about money distribution or how to make money or something,since as i understand it,they only reused the rarity system because they wanted to do something fast and that was the easiest way.

and lol i fixed a typo in the horse shoe section it said they get a "seed bonus"

Edited by Brynden

well thats looking good so far,but i think the rare coins would go better in a page about money distribution or how to make money or something,since as i understand it,they only reused the rarity system because they wanted to do something fast and that was the easiest way.

and lol i fixed a typo in the horse shoe section it said they get a "seed bonus"

:| thanks I thought I caught them all when I did the spell check. Guess not :P 

Also, about the rare coins, I think it has a place here on the Rarity System page but I do agree that it does have a spot on another page about wurm currency. 

In fact it already exists, Bank of Wurm, mentions "Foraging and botanizing give a very low chance to find coin", as well as, "Killing creatures gives a very low chance to find coin, double chance if they are domestic animals."

The same page also mentions that, "Any coin generated by the last two points above will be tagged as rare. This is simply for aesthetic reasons and they do not hold any special functions. Once deposited into the bank they become standard coin."

The final sentance there is technically incorrect - rare coins can be sacrificed for refresh (and skill ticks for supreme and presumably fantastic), which normal coins can not be.  The point is that they don't have any additional financial value over non-rare coins.  As above, I'm fairly sure rare coins are rare for convenience reasons, not aesthetic ones.

Might want to add to the armor section that it also increases glance rate. I can do testing and publish if you would like but I think anyone that has fought against a player in full rare plate, be it spar or legit pvp, can back this up. You glance like a mofo.

Might want to add to the armor section that it also increases glance rate. I can do testing and publish if you would like but I think anyone that has fought against a player in full rare plate, be it spar or legit pvp, can back this up. You glance like a mofo.

Got a rarity event when i killed a Ram(mind you I'm not sure if Wurm Online and Wurm Unlimited share enough data for this to appear on the wurmpedia but since I can't find a resource site for unlimited I figured I'd leave this here) I'm not sure what exactly happened, the corpse seems normal quality, no loot on it, and I was planning on using it for a spit so I'm not sure if i should just butcher it and see if it influenced that or if it was a damage event which wouldn't of mattered since it was already near death...

Edit: Apparently if you get it while fighting you'll get a rare item in your inventory?(found a rare five coin copper in my inventory)

Edited by Arctic_Howler
spelling and found why it happened...

1 hour ago, Arctic_Howler said:

Got a rarity event when i killed a Ram(mind you I'm not sure if Wurm Online and Wurm Unlimited share enough data for this to appear on the wurmpedia but since I can't find a resource site for unlimited I figured I'd leave this here) I'm not sure what exactly happened, the corpse seems normal quality, no loot on it, and I was planning on using it for a spit so I'm not sure if i should just butcher it and see if it influenced that or if it was a damage event which wouldn't of mattered since it was already near death...

Edit: Apparently if you get it while fighting you'll get a rare item in your inventory?(found a rare five coin copper in my inventory)

Yes, upon killing or burying you get a rare coin in your inventory if you have a rare roll.

9 hours ago, Jaz said:

Yes, upon killing or burying you get a rare coin in your inventory if you have a rare roll.

Addendum, if there's money in the coffers for it. Not 100% certain if the roll is killed before being sent if that is the case.