Sign in to follow this  
Docterchese

News #72: Client Updates and Goblin Leaders

News%20Header%20(old).jpg?dl=1

Hey Everyone!

Welcome back to another week of News. We've continued with bugfixes and general development this week, and also have some art to show off too.

Last week, we asked you informally what kind of things you'd like to see us work on once we put dev time towards big new features come Fall. There were lots of suggestions, and it just goes to show how hard a job we'll have of picking what to work on for the next big features for Wurm! Exciting times are ahead, as ever.

In addition, please take special note of the 4 hour downtime notice for next Tuesday below.

Downtime Planned for the 18th August

Next Tuesday, we will be taking the servers down for 4 hours to maintain server hardware. The downtime is planned for 10am to 2pm CEST (4am to 8am EST for those in the U.S.), so we hope that the replacement of the hamster's wheel some server components will affect as few people as possible.

Keep an eye on the forums, our Twitter and our Facebook for live updates on the day.

The Week in Patch Notes

Below are all the patch notes from this week's updates. Users of the unstable client will have noticed a large number of new usability changes - ranging from container windows that remember their size and position when re-opened, to new keybinds like DROP_AS_PILE - which we will roll out to the stable client once we're certain of their stability. The new updates require Java 8 to run the unstable (and soon, stable) client.

Also of special note are the fixes to the premium re-imbursement system this week. It should now function better, and will give monthly rewards of increasing value to players who remain premium for a number of consecutive months.

10/08/15
  • Added Black Sheep / Rams / Lambs.
  • Can Milk (female) sheep now – and make feta cheese from that.
  • Can Milk (female) Bison now – and make Buffalo cheese from that.

11/08/15
  • We have been looking at retroactively fixing the premium time awards and these should start ticking in during the next day or two. You need to be off the Golden Valley server for it to work. Rewarding will be a bit off but in general you will receive a bit too much. Also you need to still be premium for the code to detect the missing awards.
  • The Unstable client now uses Java 8, so if you want to use it please update to the latest Java version at
    . If this works well the standard game client will soon be using Java 8 as well, so it’s a good idea to update anyways. The unstable client can be downloaded at
    (You can find more details on the improvements in the thread
    .)
  • Some issues with bridges and gates were fixed.
  • One reason for creatures moving through walls was found and fixed.
  • Fix to reduce bridge decay. Should not take any decay for a week after its been used.
  • Changed the QL levels between different bell sounds, as some sounds were not being played at all.

Goblin Leader Model

What's royalty without a crown to wear? This week, Saroman worked towards solving identity issues of Goblin Leaders across all servers by kitting them out with a new hat, shoulder pads and leather trousers.

Goblin%20Leader.jpg?dl=1

Can We Have Permission To Permission Your Permissions?

Permissions? Permissions! Tich continues to outdo herself with her total overhaul of the game's permission systems, and this week asked for feedback on the permissions of buildings. Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Screenshot of the Week

This week's screenshot comes from Kristof on Celebration, of the "Cathedral of the Gods." It looks huge and is very nicely furnished, well done!

Screenshot.jpg?dl=1

If you give us permission to, then we'll conclude this week's News. But what's that I hear you say... you want the News to be never-ending? But but but, even the PR team have to sleep occasionally! :c

Edited by Docterchese
  • Like 20

New Goblin Leader model! \o/

And I hope that the server downtime means they're being upgraded!

Edited by Firestarter
  • Like 1

the servers down for 4 hours

I do not think Wurm players can survive such a thing.

• Like 5

It's a shame that Wrath of Magranon doesn't seem to work anymore with newer Java versions. It's an old game that Notch made in 2005 to test some LWJGL things, I remember playing it while waiting for 1.0 with it on one screen and IRC on the other! http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Wrath_of_Magranon

• Like 2

I don't think our Forum Mods can survive such a thing. :P

Guys! Stock up on coffee!

• Like 1

Even the goblin leaders get king armor models before the players do :<

• Like 4

Will his cohorts in the back ground spawn and fight when he does, and more so??

Goblin Leader Model

What's royalty without a crown to wear? This week, Saroman worked towards solving identity issues of Goblin Leaders across all servers by kitting them out with a new hat, shoulder pads and leather trousers.

Goblin%20Leader.jpg?dl=1

Please say that we can LOOT his new crown  (and also steal his pants and even equip his shoulder pads  ...)

even if it has no special stats, players will fight like mad over it.

ps: this is also a good time to introduce GOBLIN MASKS crafted from wood+horn+leather (uses Tailoring skill rather than leatherworking/cloth tailoring)

goblin_mask_by_taromodelmaker.jpg

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 9

I guess we'll have to make inde's goblin leader hand over it's crown to me soon :)

• Like 1

Looks nice :)

Edited by bawat

Are the goblin leaders live with that armour?

Not yet, though I imagine they will be soon. Keep an eye on patch notes.

I LOVE the new Goblin Leader model, very well done.  He is now much more distinquishable and regal in command of his lair.    Stunning screenshot of the cathedral in balance and realism.  I'd aspire to make something that grand yet because of mats and time I hardly build even more than a two story.

• Like 2

"replacing the hamster wheel" sounds appropriate, not sure why that would be crossed out when it seems to be the truth. Also very disappointing even the highest level of staff don't have any idea what they're doing in the game, no sense of direction - they're hoping for the community's help to tell them what to do? Every single day I see why this game has so few players. *yawn*

EDIT1: I noticed a tag on this thread called "bugix." What's a "bugix?"

Edited by TrofeoLover1

Upgrading to guinea pigs? You do know they squeak worse than rusty hamster wheels...

Will the DROP_AS_PILE keybind work as a standard DROP keybind for items not like dirt, sand, etc?

Edited by Xallo

Really hope that the server changes end up fixing some of the lag issues with xanadu or improving spawn rate.  Nice GL image change.

Goblin Leader Model

Shoulder pads confirmed!

I love the weekly news, to the PR team, thanks.

To the dev team, i have been on ustable for some time, and the newest changes were cool, but, it would have been better if we had a list of items to check.

I mean to say, if we know what is new, we can look for it and then hit the forums if we find issues.  The only things i knew of were the new and improved options window(Thanks for that, as i have a hard time seeing i had to have text very large which pushed items off the bottom of the old one), and windows holding there position from game to game.

What else was added?

Perodin/Ratheden

• Like 1

omg.... brashe! you dont really want the goblin trousers, do you? im sure that thing is a really stinky one. not to mention that there are bugs and other creepy things in it!   :D

but i like that modell too! and his crown looks very well on him!   :)

• Like 1

I want that mask, the Goblin Crown is amazing too!!!  Now if we could have to wear ourselves if we kill him, like the cow helm the Troll King wears, I'd want to sharpen up my fight skill and have a crack at them.

No visual sword/shield models on the goblin leader like trolls have visual weapons?

Really loving that goblin leader model! Well done team! :D