Sign in to follow this  
tylenthus

I am going on a bear hunt!

Thanks for all the advice, friends. Sadly I have not had any one join the team yet, but I have began searching the area for bears.. 

I'm yet to find anything but fiery dogs (Of which one bit me on the crotch.. ouch) and spiders..

The hunt is still on, and anyones welcome to join!

According to the wiki Wurmian black bears indeed are stronger than their brown cousins. If that's (not/no longer) true, it would be a good idea to have the wiki updated.

How "strong" a mob is in Wurm is hard to say, there are at least 4 different ways of being "strong": combat rating, damage per hit, hit-point pool and armour.

Black bears are usually easier to kill than brown ones for new-ish players: black bears have less armour than brown ones.

So I am best off looking for a black bear? I will keep my eyes peeled.. I have found some spiders, a dog, even a mountain lion, but still no bear. If anyone sees any near my location please let me know.

If you were on Deli I'd bring you out on a hunt, but I don't sail.

http://prntscr.com/86r6dd I also have evidence beyond a doubt that bears can move across water! The brown ones that is.. I discovered this on a boat adventure to distant lands in search of bears. I'm hot on the trail now!

• Like 1

are you sure? I am almost positive the black bear is weaker, both in real life and in wurm. In Wurm, I am much more likely to attack a black bear in a newbie character as I have better chances to survive. I also used to raise champion brown bears which are incredibly tough.

To help put that number in perspective...

More people have died from medical malpractice in a single year.

doctor-white-coat.jpg

And yet no one freaks out when a doctor wanders into their camp.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 2

Yep, perspective is everything. It's an incredibly low chance of occurrence however when the night is dark and a bear is crashing through the woods towards you it all becomes a lot more intense- grin.

~Nappy

I have similar tip as Brash, but instead of 2H I prefer faster single hand - short sword, long sword or large axe.

Switch to aggressive combat mode.

Set combat loging ON.

Lure that beast (bear or anything similar) to your door or gate, where you can hide.

One step outside, swing your weapon and immediately step back inside. Wait short while (2-3 seconds for bear hit your door) and repeat it ...

With light weapon and aggressive you should hit faster that bear, you will have chance to land hit, while in time when bear will hit you, you will be covered behind door/gate.

Do not forget heal your wounds. More wounds means less stamina, less stamina make your slower. And you need to be as fast as possible.

It is not easy to keep precise timing of such actions, but once you mastered it, you can solo kill even trolls and scorpions with noob's short sword and FS 1.00.

Well, there is one weak point. You are on Xanadu and with permanent xana-lag, timing of such actions will be even harder.

I partially miss times, when bear was challenge to me. Now I can't hunt bears, just butcher them in two swings of my axe ... to fair fight I should drop weapon and armor and equip belaying pin or something similar

Edited by Zakerak

Just remember to bring more than the *bear* necessities to your hunt.

=Ayes=

Thanks for the reminder Ayes! I have plenty of things ready to go, even took a boat ride all the way around the map to a huge market, to gear up with Weapons, and Armour!

still looking for able bodied adventurers!!!

• Like 1

This thread reminded me why I liked wurm.... Wish I was a wurm virgin again :)

Hey awesome! I'm going to go on an adventure to find a mailbox (I think I can find one at the starting towns, right?) so I can get that salt!! Thanks so much! I will have ot make an awesome rug with it when I finally fight a bear. I will let you know when I do that!

Yes there should be mailbox at every starter town. You can also ask at local chat while traveling does folks have mailbox at their deed. Remember healing covers and cotton to your glorious battle with this beast! And also leatherworking skill 30 required to make animals rugs.

Hey awesome! I'm going to go on an adventure to find a mailbox (I think I can find one at the starting towns, right?) so I can get that salt!! Thanks so much! I will have ot make an awesome rug with it when I finally fight a bear. I will let you know when I do that!

Yes ask in local, hopefully someone nearby has one. If you need more salt let me know, idk if it's possible to fail making the rug.

Thanks! I found a mail box and received the salt.. last step is to find a bear, and take it on!

Thanks again! :)

I had this bear stuck in a lake for weeks, paddling and paddling and paddling

This was back when I used shaders

It was a time of innocence

Zqea3Lp.jpg

Edited by Tipper

Sadly it hasn't taken place. I've been very busy out of game lately and haven't had the time to undergo the hunt!

I got as far as the long wavy grass. But seems you can't go over it and you can't go under it.

Not quite sure what to do next  :(

I got as far as the long wavy grass. But seems you can't go over it and you can't go under it.

Not quite sure what to do next  :(

I plan to spend some time pondering the meaning of this one

.Is it as metaphor for life? The offbeat name of a Xanadu deed? Or a coded message for enemy nations?

• Like 1