Sign in to follow this  
tylenthus

I am going on a bear hunt!

Greetings!

My name is Tylenthus, and I have played this game for a short period of time. During my journeys I have come across some amazing sights, whimsical animals and some elaborate housing. During my short stay on the Freedom server, my girlfriend and I have set up a small home, purchased a Deed and have begun collecting some resources, etc. 

One of the items I have found was a Bear Hat.. Sort of like a bears head I wear like a beanie on my head. I love it. I want more. I would like a black bear helmet, but I have no idea on how to go about getting one.. but that's besides the point. In the next few hours I plan on a big bear hunt, so I can have a bear rug in my home.. I already have a "cave bug" as a trophy in my home, which I overpowered with m y massive battleaxe. It stood no chance with its ferocious pincher, thanks to my shining plate armour (Can I change the color of this? I would like another colour to my armor). I slowly lugged it back to our home, and it now resides on the floor, as a trophy of my power and strength.

Whilst asking some questions in the CA HELP chat (Big shout out to Fireriders for all the help) I have discovered there are actually two kinds of bears in this game, despite the fact I've only ever sighted a brown bear!. I would not only like to see a black bear, but I would like to conquer one. Return home with its hide as my trophy. Unfortunately, due to my lack of knowledge in this game I fear I cannot do it alone. I have been informed that I might need a fight statistic of 25 to overwhelm this foe. I have also learned that we can retreat to water if it is indeed a black bear that we find, as they cannot swim (Where as their friend, the brown bear can indeed swim). I have only got a fight statistic of 1.23. Despite my mighty axe, I do not believe I can do this alone.

I am asking for anyone who has the spare time, muscle and know-how to come to my house located on the map provided, to help me slaughter this mighty foe. I have a well at my home, so I can provide refreshments, however I'd suggest you bring a water skin as this will be a big expedition I am sure.

http://prntscr.com/84k1sg Here is a map of the general area I am in. My home is called "Shady Hollow" if that helps any.

http://prntscr.com/84k2av This is a picture of the map someone showed me so I could point out my general area. 

The battle-plan here, is that we go into the forest near me. I have seen a brown bear there before, although it was a while ago.. If you have any better plans let me know! I am sure we can put our minds together and form a battle-plan that'll guarantee us a bear!!

Once we have hunted the bear down, the body will be bought back to my home, and placed on the floor for all to marvel at. You are welcome to come inside and view it, alongside my cave bug!

Please add me to your friends list (if you can do that? my game name is Tylenthus) and send me a message letting me know you're coming, what you can bring and what strengths you have against a bear!

You can also comment here, so people can see the army we have ready to combat this fierce predator. :)

• Like 6

Both hats look the same, I hope I didn't ruin your day.

That's okay. I still want to hunt the bear. You're welcome to join if you're up for the adventure!

Sign me up for this challenge. No doubt you'll want someone with some bear experience, and I can safely say that I've looked at over twenty bears in my Wurm career. I am willing to start discussing tactics with you immediately, so look out for my 'friend request' in-game. See you in the field!

Wonderful! I am thinking we will be needing several more for our company before we embark.. get onboard everyone!!

Thanks Warlander!

You seem like you know your stuff! Any tips for taking on the bear? And tracking one down..??

Am I missing something? On which server is this hunting adventure embarking? If it's Deli maybe I can send my Fo in case of healing needs.

*looks at tylenthus quizzically*

*ponders the concept of sincerity*

I can't bear it !!

*He ain't heavy, he's my brother.* ~The Hollies~

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

• Like 2

LorraineJ we are embarking out on Xanadu! I put some pictures in of my whereabouts so people know where to find me so we can begin!!

Thanks Ayes for the well wishes! Let's hope for the best! Maybe we'll find a black bear.. that'd be cool!

• Like 1

Don't forget you can make a rug out of its hide if you are lucky enough to have some salt!

I do not have any salt, but I did not know this!! I would love a rug.. How would I go about obtaining some salt? I am very keen on that idea!

Good luck with your hunt :) I hope you have fun and get all the bears you need!

I do not have any salt, but I did not know this!! I would love a rug.. How would I go about obtaining some salt? I am very keen on that idea!

Very rarely, mining will provide salt.  However, any priest has a mountain of the stuff so it should be easy enough to obtain in trade.

You seem like you know your stuff! Any tips for taking on the bear? And tracking one down..??

A vyn priest can cast Reveal Creatures.

Any tips for taking on the bear? 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 9

Greetings!

I must point out that the brown bear is capable of swimming, but you already knew that right, because you've already perused the Wurmpedia like all adventurers-to-be.

The black bear, on the other hand, seems to like dark, damp caves. Slightly stronger than the brown cousin, but we don't tend to find many of these in the forest.

Happy hunting!

• Like 1

Slightly stronger than the brown cousin, 

are you sure? I am almost positive the black bear is weaker, both in real life and in wurm. In Wurm, I am much more likely to attack a black bear in a newbie character as I have better chances to survive. I also used to raise champion brown bears which are incredibly tough.

In USA at least, brown bears are typically large and aggressive, while black bears are small and timid. 

(I have lived in Alaska + Oregon the past 30 years, and we get both types of bears here.)  

We need a BEAR FIGHT SCIENCE TEST!

Five black bears, five brown bears, one person in lightish armor, and someone with a notepad and healing kit. 

Here is wikipedia data on black vs brown bears, although there is no guarantee ROLF ever read Wikipedia:   The brown bear (and also polar bear) is the largest land-based predator on earth. Polar bears are thought to be an offshoot of brown bear.  In North America, two types of the subspecies are the coastal brown bear and the inland grizzly bear.  Sweden and Europe has the "common brown bear" aka Eurasian brown bear. I do not know if black bears exist at all in sweden -- or any other part of europe. There is either the American black bear which are very common here in Pacific Northwest/USA, or the asian black bear which are mostly in china and the SE part of asia..   Asian black bears (large white spot on chest) are pretty dangerous but those are mostly in ... well, asia. and they have a telltale white chest splotch. I think the only "normal" black bear (no special white markings)  is the north american one. Adult male brown bears and females with cubs are highly aggressive    Compared to brown bear attacks, aggressive encounters with black bears rarely lead to serious injury as bck bears are more likely to flee. However, the majority of black bear attacks tend to be motivated by hunger rather than territoriality, and thus victims have a higher probability of surviving by fighting back rather than submitting (ie -- do not pretend you are dead with a black bear, it probably wants to eat you anyway. But it might work with a brown bear as they are asserting dominance in their territory and will accept submission)

** edit to add, I have never once had a newbie character die to a cave bug but I  often had them die to brown bears. 

• Like 4

Any tips for taking on the bear? And tracking one down..??

If you killed a cave bug, you can kill a bear.

You're more likely to find black bears underground than on the surface.

Hi all, I hit the hay and slept like a baby, as no one has joined the company yet. 

I will be on from now, if anyone would like to join. Thanks to everyone for the tips, I don't have chain armor or anything fancy to use, so we will have to use what we can find. 

Just a reminder that everyone is encouraged to join me. Thanks.

are you sure? I am almost positive the black bear is weaker, both in real life and in wurm. In Wurm, I am much more likely to attack a black bear in a newbie character as I have better chances to survive. I also used to raise champion brown bears which are incredibly tough.

According to the wiki Wurmian black bears indeed are stronger than their brown cousins. If that's (not/no longer) true, it would be a good idea to have the wiki updated.

Also Tylenthus might find this Xanadu map useful.

Yes I am pretty sure he took that from the wurmpedia, I think the wurmpedia has its information wrong and that the error may go back many years, as far back as a 2009 guide by Dannyiron, but we may need player testing to solve it.

Or a dev willing to check the code.