Sign in to follow this  
Histaty

crafted ingame currency

On 14/08/2015 at 5:13 PM, griper said:

It all sounds well until someone introduces fractional reserve banking and thereby starts robbing their fellow citizens.

Haha, that's what I was thinking.

Didn't Led try something like this on Epic?  I don't think it went over well.

I did this on golden valley, tried it with gold rings, it did not take off too well.

I would recommend forges, rings are just too easily stolen.

• Like 1

Why not corpses? No one would willingly make a corpse, and the origin is never in question!

It isn't that much about what to use as money.. but how to make it worth something to players. Silver is worth something in game, because for each silver you get services from Code Club (prem, deed upkeep, traders). So if someone wants to create money, put some value behind it first. How to fight counterfeiting etc comes later.

• Like 1

Another game allows users to create it's own kingdom currency "haven and hearth" and it's the only form of currency in that game, anyone can make it but only a few select kingdoms have markets dedicated to it. I am not sure Wurm really needs crafted currency as we have a better alternative.

Edited by Niki

-100 Wurm absolutely doesn't need any additional form of currency that is already established in game - Every item in the game has a value already based off COINS called iron, copper, silver, gold that cannot be duplicated by any player. ( Unless purchased on store )

This is an idea and suggestion and needs to moved to such thread.

Edited by Bramson

Besides being player made (and sorta cool and more RP), would these player-made currencies add anything new mechanically?

There's no way to avoid having the new currency tied to real life money. Assuming the player-made currency became common enough, it'd eventually become tied to real life money the same way everything is in the game.

If, say, 5 gold rings is equal to 1000 planks and 1000 planks is equal to 1 silver and 1 silver is equal to 1 euro, then in the end 5 gold rings is equal to a Euro.

The only way to escape tying it to real life money is by having items only purchasable by this (and not saleable to other players).

It's a potentially nifty idea that just isn't worth the trouble except for hardcore RPers. And more power to those guys.

Having another player created in game currency only opens the door for people to manipulate the system in their favor. I can purchase game time with silver, I cannot do so with rings. What happens when the person holding the value of the currency decides to quit the game? I end up with a ton of rings I can do nothing with. 

It's a mess waiting to happen. There is an already established system that works well. Don't try to reinvent the wheel.

• Like 1