Sign in to follow this  
Cista

Donald Trump's solution to the biodiversity crisis

- would be to build fences!

Just throwing this out there

If the following is true:
1) Not only are South Xanadu mob spawns meagre, the mobs also tend to drift North
2) Devs are not going to fix it within a year

- then a Great Wall community effort could be something to consider. Fence the buggers in once and for all!

Worth discussing is:
1) Do the mobs really drift north? My opinion is certainly that they do, I have many anecdotes of mobs coming from South and simply racing North within an hour. But others may disagree?
2) Do players really want long disruptive fences (although with many gates) across the server? No we don’t! But desperate times can call for desperate measures.
3) Where should the fences be? This is where it gets interesting. Isthmuses where the critters are restricted by lakes are obvious. North edge of deserts and steppes too.
4) Who will build them?  I am out, establish your own local community crews.

What will be the result?
It is no miracle cure, but the fence zone would create natural paths for hunters to travel by. Since mobs move around a bit, they would not just be standing AT the fence, but the zone 50 tiles closest to the fence should be more profitable for hunting than anywhere else in the South.
Fences would probably never span the entire server, but that is irrelevant. Any region with a fence will see an effect.

Edited by Cista
  • Like 1

- then a Great Wall community effort could be something to consider. Fence the buggers in once and for all!

Wouldn't it be easier to just travel to the North, or live there, if you wished to hunt, rather than building a huge wall?

• Like 3

Wouldn't it be easier to just travel to the North, or live there, if you wished to hunt, rather than building a huge wall?

It would be easier to just travel to another server, or another game, too. But true wurmians do not shy away from true challenges! ;)  

Edited by Cista

It would certainly be cool to see a wall going all the way across the server east to west.

This wouldnt really do anything other than keep what little mobs head south down south. Sides have you done a tile count for how big the Xanadu map tiles are wide? Would take a mountain being farmed by Mags to handle that many shards.

• Like 1

A theoretical 8192 x 10 so 81,920 shards, but minus a lot of water. Not that crazy, theres deeds with more materials.

Wooden fence will do the trick. And just having a few fence stretches in strategic places would mean a world of difference - inner Xanadu is lake after lake.

Edited by Cista

This. I love where I live on Xan, but if hunting ever again became a priority of my gameplay then I would either move to the North or set up a smal deed up North.

I will say I am opposed to any "great wall" idea for Xan. I never did like fences running forever out in the wilderness anyways.

Edited by geode

It would certainly be cool to see a wall going all the way across the server east to west.

I agree with that :P

Can imagine quite a few angry players though.

82k shards would only take about 40 hours for 5 people to mine. (Assuming 1 shard per 10 seconds. You can mine faster, but to allow time for storing/eating/etc)

I agree with that :P

Can imagine quite a few angry players though.

82k shards would only take about 40 hours for 5 people to mine. (Assuming 1 shard per 10 seconds. You can mine faster, but to allow time for storing/eating/etc)

You will get more than enough shards from surface mining all the mountains in the way to a level that can support walls (39 slope with 94 skill) :P

• Like 1

If the following is true:

1) Not only are South Xanadu mob spawns meagre, the mobs also tend to drift North

2) Devs are not going to fix it within a year

To base your suggestion on these unsupported conjectures provides no justification to build some sort of fencing all the way across the server from east to west at some mystical point that will be effective to prevent the passage of all animals from south to north.

A bizarre idea that will disrupt player travel more than your supposed inferment above. No doubt some will delight in building a wall/fence of this sort just to upset others without consideration, as a sort of testament to their own "prowess" of building the "great wall of Xanadu". Possibly this is not your intent but as an idea of any effective significance other than this, I see no value in it.

Just keep it well away from any areas that I wish to pass freely through and your wall replacement unit will have a bit lesser work to do replacing sections that have mysteriously evaporated due to excessive decay spikes. If this decay spike theory is true, which it just as well could be as your points above.

I don't see how D. Trump has anything to do with this, nor that he would condone investing time and coins for such a poor return of investment resources. Possibly this is just a bad joke and better suited to Woodscraps?

=Ayes=

• Like 1

A bizarre idea that will disrupt player travel 

I fail to understand how a gate would disrupt player travel? Last time I checked, players can pass through gates while unled animals can not.

A problem though would be that fence gates are probably not allowed to be built across any north-south going highways. So some strategic thinking would have to be done by any guild that would want to hold back wildlife from disappearing north.

The mountains mentioned above pose a challenge as well, but while mountains are a barrier for building fences, lakes are natural barriers for the traveling animals, so as I mentioned before, a fence only needs to be planned for between lakes.

The Trump reference was simply because the suggestion channels the kind of draconian and over-simplified measure that he would put forward. But while I am not personally wishing to see fences across the server, I do think it would have an effect. Any local community could do it for their own region.

Edited by Cista

Just creat a mob pit to trap them at the base of a mountain. Rolfs new ai makes most climb dowb the mountains. Unless there is water at the base they will stay on mountains. Your cab wiki a way to make a hunters pit in fighting / hunting guide.

I fail to understand how a gate would disrupt player travel? Last time I checked, players can pass through gates while unled animals can not.

The Trump reference was simply because the suggestion channels the kind of draconian and over-simplified measure that he would put forward. But while I am not personally wishing to see fences across the server...

Mmmm, the thing is that there would be vast expanses between highways/roads with no gates available for player access. I doubt anyone building this "great wall" will be responsible enough to create gates every 20 tiles or so to allow for player access through wilderness areas. Also, Trolls, Lava Fiends and Goblins can pass through unlocked gates, which any erected would have to be. They must also have unlocked gate locks attached or anyone can (and will) put one on and lock them up to everyone else.

Even D.Trump would realize these things and build properly if he were so foolish to take on a project like this, which I seriously doubt, so let's not make him the scapegoat here and give credit where it is due. *points at you*, since I don't see his signature on this topic, heh.

=Ayes=

We could have a new group, THE NIGHTS WATCH, that patrols the walls to make sure nothing evil gets through. Keep those bloody northerners from crossing down to raid our farms etc.

• Like 2

A theoretical 8192 x 10 so 81,920 shards, but minus a lot of water. Not that crazy, theres deeds with more materials.

When you break it down like that, it's really not even that many shards. I live alone and the two access tunnels to my deed were a bit over 20k shards =/

We could have a new group, THE NIGHTS WATCH, that patrols the walls to make sure nothing evil gets through. Keep those bloody northerners from crossing down to raid our farms etc.

i want this make it happen guys

I have wondered off and on if Trump is doing some kind of "false flag" or "black flag" stunt. Basically making Republicans look really out there by playing the more far right elements.

For example afaik Trump was a registered Democrat prior to 2008? In addition he knows the Clinton family very well socially. Then again its not out there for any wealthy real estate investor to be cozy with a high profile political family, especially in New York.

Meh... anyways,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKoBwwNaa2g

Edited by Klaa

Trump would accuse those lame Freedomers of taking all the good digging jobs on Chaos while hiding behind his enormous dirt walls on epic