Sign in to follow this  
Kyleshandra

Another horse killer

Everybody should keep.an eye out for Blasterheime (spelling uncertain)

He was nice enough to come by and kill 8 horses that we had hitched to wagons. Yes, they were rescued wagons so could be properly secured and were off deed by a couple.tiles. Our mistake, but seriously, what do people get from this hoodlum behavior?

One of the horses was a wild one so perhaps a tiny fraction of fighting skill. No, from the slap emote he sent my villager, it is clear it was simply to cause hate and discontent.

If we had spirit guards insread of guard towers, he would be on KOS... anyone in our area, feel free to add him to your lists! Speaking of which, this is in SE Xanadu.

• Like 1

I think I'll start referring to all my stolen items as rescued.

I am not condoning any actions here, but I see misinformation to correct.

While you do not get Fighting gains off of named animals, you do get other related skill gains such as weapon use.

Never turn down free leather, even if it's attached to a wagon.

• Like 1

Good to know that tower guards on deed WILL attack KoS listed individuals - independent of whether or not you have a spirit templar. So DO use KoS - if you have a guard tower, then they will at least attempt to bug the person whom you would like to keep out (guards are sadly somewhat useless).

Incidently, my definition of rescued-taken from abandoned deeds where the buildings are gone or nearly gone and generally at very high decay percentages. It makes no sense to me to let useful things rot away.

If someone had come by and found one of my horses had died in harness and butchered it before I got there, I would consider that a 'rescued' horse.

Never turn down free leather, even if it's attached to a wagon.

If it's attached to a Wagon it's not free. The leather belongs to the owner of the Wagon.... which I would say in this case was either the original Owner, or the Salvager. Certainly not a Passerby.

For situations just like this and a hundred others I wish Wurm had a "Salvage System" where ownership could change to the finder of items when extreme decay and inactivity crossed a predetermined threshold.

Edited by geode

If it's attached to a Wagon it's not free. The leather belongs to the owner of the Wagon.... which I would say in this case was either the original Owner, or the Salvager. Certainly not a Passerby.

For situations just like this and a hundred others I wish Wurm had a "Salvage System" where ownership could change to the finder of items when extreme decay and inactivity crossed a predetermined threshold.

Well it was off deed and the owner abandoned it, so it's free to take for anyone. Like OP who is complaining now, but he did the same thing earlier by taking a wagon that isn't his.

Edited by Edge

I don't really see how the salvager has any more right to the wagon than the passerby to the leather.

At any rate, while killing horses you don't own is rude - using horses on a wagon you can't secure is stupid.

A wagon isn't that hard to build.

Everybody should keep.an eye out for Blasterheime (spelling uncertain)

He was nice enough to come by and kill 8 horses that we had hitched to wagons. Yes, they were rescued wagons so could be properly secured and were off deed by a couple.tiles. Our mistake, but seriously, what do people get from this hoodlum behavior?

One of the horses was a wild one so perhaps a tiny fraction of fighting skill. No, from the slap emote he sent my villager, it is clear it was simply to cause hate and discontent.

If we had spirit guards insread of guard towers, he would be on KOS... anyone in our area, feel free to add him to your lists! Speaking of which, this is in SE Xanadu.

I take it you actually saw this person kill these horses? Clearly a jerk move if so and no doubt will earn support of your cause in this area to hold this individual in contempt. Possibly they were just passing through and will have little concern of any repercussions. Who knows.

Anyway, always best to use utmost caution when hitching horses and putting contents into wagons/large carts of which you are *Not* the owner and have not attached a large padlock to. I would never then take these anywhere off a deed that is not locked up to others. Bad move there. Always have to protect your items in the most effective way possible or you expose yourself to these types of *surprise* situations.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
  • Like 1

Well it was off deed and the owner abandoned it, so it's free to take for anyone. Like OP who is complaining now, but he did the same thing earlier by taking a wagon that isn't his.

You and Bdew did not fully understand what I was suggesting.... nor did either of you appear to have seen the potential benefits to help minimize all this "he said, she said" stuff regarding players "finding" things... so nevermind.

Edited by geode

My villager was present when the guy came by and killed the horses. He sent a 'faceslap' emote his way as he did this.

Now, regarding the salvaging... I realize some people never take any item.they didn't make with their own hands. That's good on you. I am confident that I didn't pick up anything someone still wanted based on my evaluation of the situation, I understand people have different feelings on this subject. There is a difference here... had anyone been in the local when I found the wagons, I would have asked. I sure as heck wouldn't have openly mocked the person standing right there while I did it.

• Like 1

I would suggest branding your horses. So next time someone unhitches them and doesnt kill them and takes them you may have a chance to recover then. Also it might, avoid the death's of your horses but not certait just depends on the person debating on killing them or not.

• Like 1

That's a good point Vortex, I had branded some but then haven't stayed up on it.

I have found many carts around our deeds over the years that belonged to people i have not seen for ages. Do I use them yes. Did I steal them no.  If i had any idea where the player was i would contact them and ask if they needed the cart back.  Remeber that until recently if you moved far away or to another server you could not transport carts or wagons.

That's a good point Vortex, I had branded some but then haven't stayed up on it.

Even if your horses are branded, if they are off of deed tiles on perimeter or anywhere else they can still be killed by anyone. Branding kill prevention only works on your own deed tiles, so in this instance would have been of no help.

=Ayes=

That may be the case but just depends on the person, maybe a noon would be scared to kill a branded horse in fear of it leading back to him. Or some crazy person out there killing horses if he find some un branded or just a pure cold hearted anything goes lol its just a novelty to brand your horses it might help in some way but as a bigger picture probably not at all. But for future theifz instead of killers it helps

• Like 1

I have found many carts around our deeds over the years that belonged to people i have not seen for ages. Do I use them yes. Did I steal them no.  If i had any idea where the player was i would contact them and ask if they needed the cart back.  Remeber that until recently if you moved far away or to another server you could not transport carts or wagons.

I don't see any problem with people salvaging carts or wagons, i'm just saying that if a player is going to leave them off deed with animals and/or goods they care about, they should probably invest the time in making a proper secure cart/wagon of their own.

I agree bdew... and I had just gotten my FC to 40 like 2 days before this happened... literally "missed it, by this much"