Sign in to follow this  
Sorien

Cannot get game to launch with Oracle Java

I recently upgraded my installation to Fedora 21, and ever since then I have not been able to get Wurm to run. It loads and logs me in, and just before all of the models load the game freezes and crashes. I get an alert saying there was a problem with the java-1.8.0-openjdk package. I installed Oracle java following the instructions here:

http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2014/install-oracle-java-8-on-fedora-centos-rhel/

And it definitely says that my system is now using that version:

$ which java
/usr/bin/java
$ /usr/bin/java -version
java version "1.8.0_51"
Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_51-b16)
Java HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.51-b03, mixed mod

However, every time I launch Wurm I get the same error, so apparently Wurm is using the open version still. How can I get it to use the correct version?

-Sorien

Edit: I edited the shortcut becuase it was launching the wrong javaws, and now I get the same crashes but with no error message, so it may not be an issue with openjdk java. Is there a way to launch the program without going through the web start, using Java directly, so I can gather some debug info? Thanks.

Edited by Sorien

Seems to be an issue regardless of which Java I am using, is there anyone who can help debug this?

The unstable client has the same behavior apparently. I did find the crash logs, if any of teh devs think those might help identify the issue.

-Sorien

Sorry, can't help with Fedora. I know nothing about it.

I'm running Linux Mint, no issues with Java 8 here, runs well, is easily installed.

No Idea how linux is but this is what I did with Windows. 

I opened the java icon from control panel and under general settings, temporary files I clicked delete files. all is good now.

No Idea how linux is but this is what I did with Windows. 

I opened the java icon from control panel and under general settings, temporary files I clicked delete files. all is good now.

It loads and logs me in, and just before all of the models load the game freezes and crashes.

Does that mean you can see the interface before it freezes? With Interface I mean the chat, logs, inventory and such.

If this is the case it may be a problem with the graphics driver.

Can you please give details what kind of graphiccards driver you use (reeingineered open implementation or proprietary implementation), its version and the graphic cards vendor.

Make sure openjdk is completely removed, for one. You can open via command line by right-clicking and saving the jnlp file, then just pass it to javaws.

If you're sure the correct Java is loading, then I would branch out towards things like associated drivers. Primarily the graphics driver. Most Linux flavors work just fine with the free/generic versions of their drivers, but they don't support 3D rendering.

Knowing your graphics card will help going forward. I know with Ubuntu, it's as easy as adding a repo and installing via apt-get. Fedora is likely different, but I'm usually good at finding guides for such things. (Like this one here for nVidia) (And this one for AMD/ATI) Basically if you are using Nouveau - you're not going to run anything. 

Not sure if Nouveau is running?

lsmod | grep nouveau

Failing that, running the jnlp file in the terminal should give you some useful info as to why it dies.

My guess is I am using nouveau?

$ lsmod | grep nouveaunouveau              1437696  4video                  20480  1 nouveaumxm_wmi                16384  1 nouveaui2c_algo_bit           16384  1 nouveaudrm_kms_helper        122880  1 nouveauttm                    94208  1 nouveaudrm                   331776  7 ttm,drm_kms_helper,nouveauwmi                    20480  2 mxm_wmi,nouveau

So guessing I need to switch to nvidia drivers?

$ /sbin/lspci | grep VGA01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2)

-Sorien

So guessing I need to switch to nvidia drivers?

yes

The nouveau driver has some issues with the 3d acceleration. that cause the engine to crash.

You need to use the nvidia drivers. You can downlaod the driver from the homepage.  The provided *.run file needs to recompile the drm kernel. This often causes problems as the linux headers may contain changes that are not reworked. That's why you may need some expertise to do that.

I suggest you to search for repacked driver in the repositories of your distribution. Latest Version for you is 340.76. The newer verisons doesn't support your grahiccard anymore.

Regards

Davidius