Sign in to follow this  
Palgolak

Savage Lands

The trailer looks nice but I saw two things in the description that puts it on my  *pfft-no-way-in-hell*  list......  Steam and perma-death.   :)

• Like 2

looks cool, though when the dragon appeared it immediately reminded me of skyrim

edit: also, seems to only be private servers

Edited by Fireflyb
  • Like 1

Q. Is there any permanent death in Savage Lands?

A. No, this game lets you respawn when you die. Upon death you will be given the option to respawn which will place you at one of the spawning points on the beach. You are able to construct a 'Pike of Resurrection' which will let you activate, and thus change your respawn point. You can create many different pikes, as it is only the one that you most recently activated that will act as your respawn point. When you do respawn, you will not have any of your items, so you will have to find your old body to recover your items....unless someone found your corpse first.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=391466315

Interesting, because on the page from your first link it says........ "Every decision counts. One mistake can mean permanent death."

Instant turn off.  They should change that if it's not the case then.

I often look forward to your posts for they are normally very funny.  Nice trailer and looks like it could be fun,.....

played it for a few hours.. meh

first off what wurms has that we love

persistent online world

terraforming

huge selection of buildings

changing seasons

over 200 skills

quality system

boats

community

none of which are in savage lands

its basically a small map that you can run across in about 10 minutes, with a few mods and some horrible game mechanics,

its like most of the single dev early access games out there, which is the basic engine with very little work actually coded into it

probably using some pre made assets from a free website or the unity store

but im gonna fire it up and check it once more if much has changed or not in the last month....

and its really hasnt..  i alt f-4'd like 2 mins in

mining a rock is actually slower than wurm

ark:survival evolved is worth its money, epic epic game and super awesome devs, much more wurm esq than savage lands, i would buy it twice instead of savage land, but you need a decent rig to atleast run it, like an i5 and a 770 atleast and MUCHO RAM like u need 8 atleast for this game 16 would be better

http://store.steampowered.com/app/346110/

currently im also into this early access game cause its kinda close to No Mans Sky (which i cant wait for) with a hint of Space engineers , and has a good feel to it , you can terraform sorta when you mine , build ships, take off into space, land on planets, build bases, and survive, its pretty legit

http://store.steampowered.com/app/383120/

• Like 2

The trailer looks nice but I saw two things in the description that puts it on my  *pfft-no-way-in-hell*  list......  Steam and perma-death.   :)

• Like 4

persistent online world

terraforming

changing seasons

over 200 skills

quality system

boats

community

its basically a small map that you can run across in about 10 minutes, with a few mods and some horrible game mechanics,

its like most of the single dev early access games out there, which is the basic engine with very little work actually coded into it

but im gonna fire it up and check it once more if much has changed or not in the last month....

ark:survival evolved is worth its money, epic epic game and super awesome devs, much more wurm esq than savage lands, i would buy it twice instead of savage land, but you need a decent rig to atleast run it, like an i5 and a 770 atleast and MUCHO RAM like u need 8 atleast for this game 16 would be better

currently im also into this early access game cause its kinda close to No Mans Sky (which i cant wait for) with a hint of Space engineers , and has a good feel to it , you can terraform sorta when you mine , build ships, take off into space, land on planets, build bases, and survive, its pretty legit

I can't like any game with private servers that don't have a longrunning world where players come together. It's so...fleeting.

• Like 1

I can't like any game with private servers that don't have a longrunning world where players come together. It's so...fleeting.

Edited by Tinderlog

persistent online world

terraforming

changing seasons

over 200 skills

quality system

boats

community

Dabbling with this currently in single player mode.  A few coworkers watching over my shoulder while I played have decided to try it out also. Certainly intense.  Just staying alive takes up a majority of time. Cold and starvation both take their toll quickly if you don't take the proper measures.  Certain mobs I can't seem to kill no matter what I do. Perhaps they require several players. Very reminiscent of Skyrim with the nordic touch in some ways.

It's fun. Was scary my first night when I locked myself in an abandoned house fearing that the skeletons and animals outside walking around the house would push the door open and come inside. Now, I stay outside and kill what I can.

With more content this might be a good game, once you get past the point of just surviving and start thriving which is where I'm starting to find myself. For now, it's a nice distraction when I need a change of pace.  I probably wouldn't get it if I had to pay full price of $19.99 for a pre alpha, but on sale it's a good deal, you'll get your money's worth.

Edited by Fineal

Raph Koster told mmorpg.com recently the following

By makingCrowfall a PvP game, not a content-driven game full of quests, Crowfall is able to rewind time on things like costs, hugely. Quests are easily an enormous amount of the cost of a modern MMO. By not doing a PvE extravaganza, they're able to instead spend those dollars on other things.

The good and bad about all these sandbox/survival games is how they can be tossed together like a medieval salad.