Sign in to follow this  
Haverstrom

OOC vs IC

Send me an invite, when you do!

Roger that! This is something I would love to recreate (although the thought probably works better than the practical implementation). But imagine something at least similar: High, along a mountain ridge, layered, walled and huge. Only roleplayers, only IC allowed, locked doors. It could be magical. 

Minas_Tirith_2.jpg

Edited by Malena

Will there be bridged walkways around the deed so people can observe roleplayers in their natural enviroment?

• Like 1

Roger that! This is something I would love to recreate (although the thought probably works better than the practical implementation). But imagine something at least similar: High, along a mountain ridge, layered, walled and huge. Only roleplayers, only IC allowed, locked doors. It could be magical. 

Minas_Tirith_2.jpg

Tell you what, if you find a small community of people interested in role playing IC in Wurm (lets say 12+ people) I will donate some silver to the founding of a deed, and I'll even build a good chunk of it.

So if you really want it, make it happen, and I'll do my part. ;)

• Like 1

I've always found roleplaying so creepy. People start using this weird 19th century English language, act overly polite and act more like they are starring in a bad amateur victorian play than actually roleplaying the game.

Edited by Edge

Ok, so i might have read this wrong, but seems to me that the OP was at the same time saying its all good fun to grief and be a rude bastard to everyone around him as long as he's "In Character", all that while urging people to be nice while off character?

That's some messed up stuff there.

Role playing is NOT an excuse to be a griefer or have any other kind of negative attitude towards any one else, if you see it that way, you're doing it wrong and if you think a bipolar attitude towards Role playing will help you any. You're sadly mistaken.

You can't go over to someone like "I'm sorry man, i just stole your stuff and killled all your horses cause i was role-playing a savage troll that thrives on everyone's misery, but of character i'm actually a nice person. So i hope you understand and don't report me or anything".

I think he's talking about respecting others, not changing the design of the game

the thing with Wurm is that it is both friendly and unfriendly to RP at the same time due to its sandbox nature; RP is a choice that is neither encouraged nor discouraged directly by the game's design

where things get problematic is PvP where there are no roles to play, you will literally get slaughtered 10/10 times if you try to RP in a PvP situation

I'm making this post to explain an important concept to role playing, which applies to all games from Alien Invaders, to Pong, to real life sports like tennis, to Wurm Online. 

*snip*

I'm sorry, I couldn't make it past the first sentence.  How exactly does RP apply to Pong?

...your ingame actions are your "IC", or "In Character", and your communication to other players is your OOC, or "Out Of Character." The idea I'm trying to make is about good sportsmanship, and about being mature enough to understand the difference between the two personalities of gamers and apply it to how you treat other players both in the game, over the forums, and through all other methods of communication.

This is well said, and some of us can indeed be friends and respectful  across kingdom borders etc as we see that the toon is the game char and that we chat as players.