Sign in to follow this  
Roken

Repairing change

Simple yet effective:

My idea is to get rid of the "repairing" skill itself and make it so your corresponding crafting skill is taken into account where the repairing skill would. What does that mean?

It means that if you have 90 "blade smithing" and 10 "shield smithing", you would repair blade weapons as if you had 90 "repairing" and shields like you had 10 "repairing". Simple.

Logic behind that: A master blacksmith would not only know how to create tools etc. but also how to fix them more efficently than his neighbour carpenter. It's illogical to have an ultimate knowledge of repairing everything in existence in just one skills.

Pros:

- Opens market for repairing services and "mend" casts.

- Easy to code.

Cons:

- People with already skilled "repairing" would lose it (although the already gained titles could be left as a legacy, no longer achievable (and so elite-ish) - that'd prevent some ranting on their side I think).

• Like 3

We would spend 99% of our time sending items to be repaired and waiting for them to come back, or riding forth and back, not to mention the moments when the "master" crafter is not online, and you NEED that tool or weapon or piece of weapon or whatever.

Don't even want to start counting the expenses, and how every 3 hours of mining or fighting or woodcutting you would have to say bai bai to your weapon/tool, will see you when you come back from repairing.

Edited by Evening

naw it's good as is, everyone can maintain their junk

I like the change.  Things don't honestly need to be repaired THAT often...and the things that truly take damage (weapons, shields), you can have spares.  You wouldn't have all the enchants on them, but if you're grinding on PvE, you don't need enchanted gear to hunt. On pvp, things are mostly give out for free, anyway, right? So no major loss there.

It could also stimulate the economy and increase player interaction while at the same time allowing hermits to continue their hermiting...just requiring them grind some trade skills.

And, really, repair skill is generally much more difficult to raise than a crafting skill.  What are most people's repair at? 30? 40? You can hit that in a full day's grind for most skills.

The only thing I would change is some additional compensation for the repair skill loss.

Maybe keep the repair skill in tact, but use the average of the specific trade skill and repair? 

Edited by Hailene

You can grind repair just like any other skill its not really difficult its just that it comes slow as a by product of doing other things if you don't focus it.

-1 While I can see your point about a master knowing how to repair something, I also feel the system is fine the way it is as another skill to play with and would cause more hassle and frustration than improving any enjoyable playability.

It's a general upgrade for most Wurmians--at least on PvE.  I've only been on PvE servers, so that's where my experience is speaking from, but...

What's probably the most commonly repaired items on PvE? Probably blacksmithing tools and maybe some carp tools.  I'm going to guess, more often than that, that a main's blacksmithing and carpentry skills are higher than the person's repair skill.  It's easy to get 50 carp just by building homes and tossing together some carts and barrels.  It takes some dedication to get 50 repair.

And if repairing was seriously an issue, then it's much more likely someone in your alliance (or even the local area) will have the specific tradeskill significantly higher than the highest repair skill in the same area.

It's a win if you're more casual about repairing your goods...and a win for those who care about getting the most of their gear.

Looking at the absolute best repairers in Niarja, it looks like they top out in the mid 80s.  The 50th person doesn't even have 60 repair skill.

How likely is someone in the area going to have 60 in a given craftskill?  Very, very likely in all but the most remote of regions.

• Like 1

It takes some dedication to get 50 repair.

No... it really doesn't.  I have 81 repairing without even trying to grind it, if you tried to grind it properly and I don't mean by repairing everything you have that takes 2 seconds to repair then you can get 70-90 in less than a week

+1 I would like to able to sell repairs for steppe.

-1 I've always liked the repairing system nothing wrong with it at all

Another one of those suggestions that reduce the gameplay, simply because someone sees an opportunity to make money from it.

• Like 3

I sort of get where the OP is coming from, (I have a few crafting skills FAR higher than my repair skill) but....

not really liking the idea of getting rid of repair in general.

What if the game did a check to see which was higher?  the skill associated with the item you are repairing... or the generic repair skill, and then used the one that was better.

So, as an example, a player has:

70 Blacksmithing

50 Repair

30 Carpentry.

S/he repairs a mallet and a hammer... 

Since repair is higher than carp, repair skill is used to repair the mallet, however as blacksmithing is higher than the repair skill, it is then used to repair the hammer.

-1 why remove a skill we need more things to grind not less.

Well played satire my friend. 

Why do you think wurm is one of the most famous games on the net, yet it has so few players? Most people don't stay long. Also, they don't post on the forum that much cause they have to argue with the massive hoard of whales that love the grindfest. So, their opinions don't exist in the developer's eyes. Sorry but its true.

No... it really doesn't.  I have 81 repairing without even trying to grind it, if you tried to grind it properly and I don't mean by repairing everything you have that takes 2 seconds to repair then you can get 70-90 in less than a week

Uh huh.  90 in less than a week.  So it's faster than regular skills to level?

I'm impressed.  Sure.

assumptions based on not having done so or experienced it themselves, 70-90 in a week isn't 1-90 in a week, and what are 90 damage meditation rugs for 200, please.

• Like 1

Well played satire my friend. 

Why do you think wurm is one of the most famous games on the net, yet it has so few players? Most people don't stay long. Also, they don't post on the forum that much cause they have to argue with the massive hoard of whales that love the grindfest. So, their opinions don't exist in the developer's eyes. Sorry but its true.

Bud. Welcome to wurm. Don't like it you know where the door is. WE masses pay for the membership and huge deeds. We masses are what line rolf's pocket. Why in the hell would he listen to one person when the rest of the noobs want to complain about it being so hard? Wurm is hard. To get somewhere you have to do something. Repairing is by far the easiest out of the skills to not even notice you're grinding it up because no matter what you are doing you are repairing.

I'm a crafter with several master titles, still -1.

The current way repair lowers ql works fine.

Maybe an added - but not major- modifier based on the crafting skill? But really unnecessary...

+1

sensible logic, not that that means it belongs in the game lol..

I know for sure, that if we were good at repairing the things we were good at making... there'd be a hell of alot less pig-ignorant people going around fixing ships that need to rot.
Your idea is great, well done.

Edited by Steveleeb

It is funny, but when I was new, I thought repair was exactly like the OP suggested. It is completely logical. It is how it should be. +1

No thanks, I need to pay for new weapon/shields/armor and subsequent imps and its enough, no need to pay for repairs too.

Any idea that removes a skill is a bad idea.

-1 i have to agree with above...one of the good qualities of Wurm is the multitude of things to grind....Don't take from that..

I'll even throw in an example - Dragonrealms a text based role-playing game was pretty good back in the 80's 90's because of it's indepthness.....they combined skills and removed skills from the skill tree...Pretty much ruined their whole Role-playing aspect of the game and therefor the game itself.

As an alternative, how about a bonus based on other skills?

Like the "Repair" skill would work the same as a baseline, but if I was repairing a Knarr, I would get a repair bonus added to the baseline repair calculations based off my shipbuilding skill.

I can see that being a possible compromise.  Not a removal, not a change, but an enhancement.

• Like 1