Sign in to follow this  
Slickshot

New Player Research: Sunny Skies or Gloomy Overcast

a land structure that is so bad they lowered the sea level, has the same workable terrain as a 16x16 map. I could go on but I'll stop there.

Haha sea level never changed on Xana - that was a 1st of April joke of the devs :-)

But I agree on big unusable land masses - mountains were not scaled down on the map generation just look at the numerous height capped hilltops on the mapdump.

Still I like the size of Xana and even the long travels, last time rode fron NE corner to home on west south. For me the old servers feel too small for a good ride out since Xanadu

Edited by Jaz

Wurm is different. It's like change, people don't like change and in order to enjoy wurm you need to change the way you look at it (away from hand led, quest driven, monster slaying MMOs)

• Like 1

you have no real data, all you have is what you feel. Secondly, let the company that we pay money to, do what we pay them to do. They have the tools, knowledge, and ability, you don't.

That pretty much ends this topic.

the game lacks efficient means to undo all that when the player has left

What about decay? I thought all structures outside of deeds will slowly turn into perish.. Besides, I kind of a enjoy "archaeology" and exploring ruins.

A small suggestion, when conducting research.  It is best to let the findings dictate the answers or point towards answers.  The way you set up the case suggests problems and negativity imposing them into the "research".  This can only result in skewed findings that won't be very meaningful other than to assert a point you may already hold

A small suggestion, when conducting research.  It is best to let the findings dictate the answers or point towards answers.  The way you set up the case suggests problems and negativity imposing them into the "research".  This can only result in skewed findings that won't be very meaningful other than to assert a point you may already hold

I take it you've never really conducted much research or surveying?  It's fine that you disagree with the way this is setup, but so far the results it has generated have been quite useful.  At the end of the day I'll take the results I'm getting, over the negative opinions which are being proven wrong at this point.  Thank you, however, for sharing your opinion.

Addendum to things that may drive newer players away:

"How DARE you provide input!?" 

Toxic-ass community sometimes I tell ya.

Addendum to things that may drive newer players away:

"How DARE you provide input!?" 

Toxic-ass community sometimes I tell ya.

1. If you can make it, then you can undo it. It is really dumb a f2p can't bash fences or destroy pavement. (IMO), it's not possible to grief off deed and on deed permissions block action.

Enclosures are gone. Any off-deed fence is free for all to be bashed. On deed fences can't be bashed assuming permissions are set right. Thus, there is no reason to block F2P from bashing fences.

Tearing up pavement does have potential problems for roads.  I think the disappointment a new player gets hit with after realizing a mistaken pave action can't be undone is far worse than the hypothetical griefing of roads. Its not that hard to fix a road either. I would most likely allow them to remove pavement or perhaps block F2P from paving action. A compromise might be to allow F2P to pave and destroy gavel. Also, block them from creating or destroying any other pavement type.

2. The effort to undo something is far in excess of the effort it took to make the alteration/construction. I'd like to see this changed. For example, salvaging an abandoned large cart for planks, shafts, and small nails. On deed there would be permissions to block salvaging deconstruction. Another example, if a house is off deed, and each individual wall has more than (if even one wall has less than 75% damage it's safe) 75% damage (wall plan counts as 100 damage) it can be salvaged.

3. include the option for a small free no-upkeep-deed with premium. Say a 5x5 or even a 7x7. It would have no upkeep as long as mayor has premium and no guards. I'm not sure about the decay reduction benefit or many of the other deed benefit. The one thing that is an absoute are all the permission protection offered to deeds.

Edited by joedobo

Something I'd started which never came to life (plans changed), but would make a kickass sort of starter deed:

Bit o' background:

At first I was looking around for the "NPC village for new players", which of course doesn't exist, no such thing.

Later on when already deeded up for a long time, all "uber" with my 10-story house, I set up a deedlet to take in potential recruits without busting the entire alliance open to them, kind of a buffer deed.

15x35 split into 7x7 plots, road down the middle, so 7 plots on one side, 6 on the other + mine entrance.  Idea was to build 2x2 and 3x3 houses on the different plots, with some basic setup to keep a couple of critters, and some on-deed basic farmland (with the option to farm more on each plot's 7x5 piece of perimeter "at your own risk", walled off mostly against mobs but separate from deeded enclosures).  

Idea was to give people a spot to not only hide in but RETURN TO during their first week or two, since picking a good spot on Wurm isn't something that should be done on "first one i like" basis.

It would take a different subset of CA-like players to run a couple of those per server, but would go MILES toward player retention.... think back to your first day of Wurm.  The finer details of maximum time allowed to live there and such, well, that's a thread of its own...

But would give people a chance to actually TEST Wurm beyond falling off terraforms into the arms of a bear, as well as a chance to see some security basics, learn what a deed actually IS, and a place to stash their non-newbie stuff so they can afford to truly explore relying on more than a tent and blind luck finding their corpse (seen veterans have issues finding their corpse).  Naturally, they wouldn't hold house writs but at least it'd be a confirmed staff member holding them, drastically reducing the chances of new players falling into "newbie trap villages".

Would also make their overall welcome to Wurm warmer, as they'd have a chance to meet their potential neighbors a couple of days in advance with all the drama-reduction involved when compared to just "ooo.. I'll build here.. wtf...per-ee-meh-tuuur? Why can't I build my own house!?"... heck, even a safe place to build their first rowing boat to THEN find a spot to deed as opposed to a vulnerable enclosure.

My two iron.

• Like 2

When living on celebration I would take new people in all the time.  First thing I tell them figure out what would make you happy to play wurm and what You enjoy doing in game.  I give them a spot on deed and say here are some mats make your house.  Then after they made there house and maybe make some tools.  I would ask them ok  now that you have a house and some tools.  When doing and getting mats.  What did you really enjoy doing while doing your project.  Some would say well I really enjoyed black smithing and wood cutting.   So I would say well we have 3 black smithing people but if its something you would enjoy then do it. I would take new people in all the time the 4 years I played wurm.  The last 2 times I took a new player in was Kamal and he grieved the crap out of me.  So I sold all my tools and my toon and now seeking another game to play.  I have taught a lot of people how to play wurm.  Most quit with in a week some lasted for years.  I think when you have someone join your village and they are paying for there premium time I think they should be able to play and do as they want.  People quit all the time sometimes they play for a few days and quit.  In the end days when I played on Piperlane.  I really did enjoy playing wurm.  I do still have some alts and I will get one to say hi or maybe even start playing somewhere else.  As this game is so much fun to play but sometimes when someone grieves you you just want to quit to make it all go away.  This time as I played wurm for 4 years was a lot of fun and I really did enjoy myself.  Most people that I taught I would always say please what ever you do if your cutting down a tree sprout the tree so you can replant.  You want to make sure you have an endless supply of what you need.  I do not find it good that you can supply what you need instead of not sprouting stuff so you can replant.  I do also think that a 30ql lantern would be good for newbies to have and maybe a sickle as well. 

Something I'd started which never came to life (plans changed), but would make a kickass sort of starter deed:

Bit o' background:

At first I was looking around for the "NPC village for new players", which of course doesn't exist, no such thing.

Later on when already deeded up for a long time, all "uber" with my 10-story house, I set up a deedlet to take in potential recruits without busting the entire alliance open to them, kind of a buffer deed.

15x35 split into 7x7 plots, road down the middle, so 7 plots on one side, 6 on the other + mine entrance.  Idea was to build 2x2 and 3x3 houses on the different plots, with some basic setup to keep a couple of critters, and some on-deed basic farmland (with the option to farm more on each plot's 7x5 piece of perimeter "at your own risk", walled off mostly against mobs but separate from deeded enclosures).  

Idea was to give people a spot to not only hide in but RETURN TO during their first week or two, since picking a good spot on Wurm isn't something that should be done on "first one i like" basis.

It would take a different subset of CA-like players to run a couple of those per server, but would go MILES toward player retention.... think back to your first day of Wurm.  The finer details of maximum time allowed to live there and such, well, that's a thread of its own...

But would give people a chance to actually TEST Wurm beyond falling off terraforms into the arms of a bear, as well as a chance to see some security basics, learn what a deed actually IS, and a place to stash their non-newbie stuff so they can afford to truly explore relying on more than a tent and blind luck finding their corpse (seen veterans have issues finding their corpse).  Naturally, they wouldn't hold house writs but at least it'd be a confirmed staff member holding them, drastically reducing the chances of new players falling into "newbie trap villages".

Would also make their overall welcome to Wurm warmer, as they'd have a chance to meet their potential neighbors a couple of days in advance with all the drama-reduction involved when compared to just "ooo.. I'll build here.. wtf...per-ee-meh-tuuur? Why can't I build my own house!?"... heck, even a safe place to build their first rowing boat to THEN find a spot to deed as opposed to a vulnerable enclosure.

My two iron.

It's funny and weird how so many people of the community are attempting to take on unofficial roles in analyzing game "data". First of all, you have no real data, all you have is what you feel. Secondly, let the company that we pay money to, do what we pay them to do. They have the tools, knowledge, and ability, you don't.

This is just another thread that makes the game look bad.

Edited by geode
  • Like 1

I think the strongest point of Wurm is also the weakest one.

Freedom, to be whatever you want or do whatever you want, the fact that there is no classes, no real endgame, its an open history, and you need to exercise your imagination to model your own adventure.

Most people if not all, need goals, maybe there is a few that play with no fixed objectives, just wandering around .But most people choose a goal, either get x level on certain skill or a group of skill, make a house, fund a deed, become a farmer, whatever goal we choose, there is a point sooner or later wen we reach it, then you need to choose a new goal, and i think there is why most people quit, because they feel that the game gets either dull or tiresome.

Its true the game is grindy, and for a certain percentage of people quitting maybe a less grindy environment will help with retention, but lets face it, there is a good amount of popular games with the same or even worst grind than Wurm, and that's because the game fix the objectives for you, you make a certain amount of Quests to reach 100 lvl, and then a new expansion add 50 new levels, or there is a new challenge with the next armor/weapon tier as reward, new quest, etc. etc.

The downside of course is that this kind of games limit you a lot, you have to choose to be a rogue or a berserker, you can be a carpenter but not a blacksmith, or you can be a crafter but not a warrior at the same time, you can't have a house, or if you can it has to be a choose between a fix amount of models, and you can't place it anywhere, it has to be at certain location, or area, and you can't modify the area or even the house once you place it.

So there is people that enters Wurm, but can't left behind their pre concepts about what an mmo should be, this people will hardly survive the firts day, then there is people that thinks GTA is an open world sandbox game, even wen you find hundreds of places where you can't enter just by walking 5 blocks, even wen you need to go trough a fixed set of quest and execute a fixed set of actions on a limited time and space environment to advance. If you had to kill certain npc you can't play a merciful role and let it live, because you fail and the quest blocks you advance. People coming with that ideas, wen face a true sandbox game as Wurm, maybe survive 2 days.

So yes, Wurm it is a niche game, and require a particular mindset to be enjoyed.

How do you make Wurm more appealing to the common mmo player mindset whitout loosing what it makes it so attractive for the current loyal player base?

That's the fundamental question developers need to find an answer for. And I don't know if there is a right answer or even an answer at all.

Thing is many .. many... many new players will have come from some form of WoW clone or another... 

Took me a few moments to realize that there wouldn't be a single quest npc, not even for q20 leather armor (had I known what q20 was at that time).  And no NPC's scattered near the starter area to show one some basics....  and a troll/hell hound can be 2m from the starter area just as well as on the opposite side of the server... 

Luckily I'd come from Ryzom where you're fodder the second you leave your starter town but, you get the idea.

Not saying Wurm should have those, but it may help to have that explained a bit more clearly in the first 20 minutes heh heh heh

Working on this kind of concept at the moment, but not exactly in the way you described it.  I'd be willing to let you in on the details if you're interested in actually helping with the whole process of implementation and sustainability.

Not playing anymore, but some friends still LOVE it so, anything that improves the game would do them a favor.  Why I take special interest in lashing out at a certain Trolls' Guild around here, but threads like these are actually relaxing to participate in =P

• Like 2

Hi,

If you'd be interested in helping out, please comment [...]

I'm no new player so I may be biased. Take my opinion as of a person that has a special role for friendly newbies on every deed, and that has had good numbers of them as villagers during the recent years.
We're friendly people, and we like to be helpful. So if a new player comes into our local and says "Hello", or if we hear it getting eaten by some nasty monstrosity, we usually offer help - defending, meals, healing, maybe even gear. And if the newcomer decides to stay in the area, and shows as a nice person, we usually offer a temporary villagership, to reduce the travel times from the Howl.

We're not enslaving them, we're not telling 'em what to do, we tell them what, please, not to do ("Be so kind and spare the two decorative oaks left and right of our deed entry, will you?"), and we offer advice and help.

Only a minuscule number of them ever returned still after 3 weeks, and only a very selected few became at least periodically playing premiums. Server: Independence. From my talks and experiences with them:

• Population density
    Must be managed carefully. ATM Indy has to few inhabitants, after the "freebie opening"/ "tree-locust invasion" it had much to many. Server population could be managed with offering the servers with the lowest population most prominently. But I don't think it's such a big factor when handled with a little care at least..

Still this is a very important point, opening Indy to the freebies made many long-time Prems leave for good, and made, as well, many newbies leave immediately after seeing the shanty towns around the Howl. Very few ppl want to play in a dump site ...
  • Complicated game mechanics
    Wogic rulez ... Different kinds of settings for this and that, lots of really strange ways to-do-the-thing, huge difference in game-play to, let's say WoW and nearly no education about before getting thrown into the real Wurmian World, here I see problems.
  • Friends
    Since fresh newbies don't have any education how to behave in a sandbox community, they often do things that make ppl angry. Some will accept it when you explain it to them (that they are just chopping the decorative oak at your deed entry ..), some will get angry themselves.
    Not the best condition to become friends - it often needs a lot of good will from both sides.
  • Slow beginnings
    Don't think it matters this much. Wurm is a slow game, and after all it's fastest in the beginning anyways!
  • Premium
    Well, Wurm isn't exactly cheap anymore. Considering the costs for premium, a small deed, a bit of pocket money to not be dependent of gifts anymore - this adds up.
    And since meanwhile the market is starving there's not much a new player, with low skills for quite some time still, can do to pay for its Premium with in game work.
  • Goals
    Guess goals don't matter for a newbie at all. They are checking the game, trying to find out if it suits them or not - goals would come later, they, at first, have to get the knowledge to formulate a goal anyways!
  • Resumee:
    In my opinion the main problem is that the fresh players/ try-outs are thrown into the real Wurm without any education. They don't know what to do, they don't know how to behave, they know nothing, and have no gear/ no skills at all.

Nevertheless just outside the Howl not only hungry trolls & hell hounds are waiting for them, well, there's a whole community completely alien to them that they must quickly adapt to. Besides learning the game, building skills, getting gear, surviving ...

Could be made in a better way, IMHO.

Hope my biased opinion may help.

Have fun!

Why do new players quit???  Your seriously asking this???

A) You arrive in Golden Valley from there is a (Wonderful) or (Annoying) Tutorial that can or can't be skipped and is Always skipped because it takes so much time (Atleast that is how a new player feels regardless as they don't yet understand that wurm takes time)

B) So now they just gotta get out of this horrible place (Golden Valley) and Get somewhere where there are people-  But where?!?  OMG all these options (Epic, Chaos, Freedom, Deliverance, Serenity, Affliction, Elevation, etc.... *CONFUSED*

- Ended up on Freedom, Cant PvP wtf.... I want to smash some face this game sux's

- Ended up on Affliction, I want to build something cool wait why did I just get killed??? PvP I hate pvp....

C) Finally get to where you want to go...

- New PvPer ends up on Affliction, where is everyone, how do I talk, HELP chat, (Uhm how do I talk) ....  Wait 10 minutes for a 33% Chance of STFU noob or 66% Chance of (Random advice that could be of use)

-5 Minutes latter bored 60-70 FS 6 Month old account on the verge of quiting Wurm because there is not enough action and too much grind decides I am going to go hunt this newbi that talked in help chat!

- Shortly after newbi gets killed by totally different guy who's deed he came to close too...  

- Winds up at the started town where the guy hunting him is waiting at....

D) New Builder type player makes it to Freedom only to find out he really can't build anything cool....

E) Most players that quit never fully experience wurm because they are not allowed to with the 20 Skill cap restrictions on the account.  May or may not have stayed if they actually could have built a home with Brick and Mortar and it didnt fall down 5 days after they built it, off deed terrible QL.  Unknown to them that there wood shack would decay in 5 days. After it took them 5 Days to actually build it because omg finding the Iron to make that Large Anvil took all of day 1....

then chopping all the planks took an entire day...  And the nails omg the large nails and small nails....  what a pain....  (No idea a normal player can build there 5 day project in about 5 minutes of time)

F) So they never go premium, the community kills them, tears down there wooden eye sore of a house in 3 hits (ONLY 3 hits) took me all day to make that!!!  And all they see is the worst part of the Wurm Grind...  Being New!

How do you fix the community???  How do you fix stupid???  

-For the most part you can't

You have to make the community start being nice?!?  Stop accusing everyone of being spys???  How on earth do you do this???  

-Ingame moderation might help but then again we could end up with more of the silly OMG you typed a curse word into global chat I must beat my chest and show off my ability to moderate because I am a CA crap!

***So let me Rephrase, In Game Professional Moderation could help***  Not player volunteers on a power trip!

This however will never happen as that would require Paying people!  

Maybe try asking the playerbase to be nicer....  reward niceness...  masquerade as a new player and see if you get helped maybe give a title or some premium time to folks that do good...

(We already have that "The Referal system") - LOL You mean the system that allows a new player to sell his referal for some silver to any random dude that could be the first guy to kill a new player!

I don't think the referal system should be removed is functions as well as can be expected... Simply have a GM or Dev interact in the world masquerade as a new player from time to time and reward people who are worthy would possibly start to change the community for the better???  Maybe???

Thats one idea!

A almost mandatory Tutorial is needed

- Who can avoid the mandatory Tutorial, Player's refered by premium accounts of good standing IE I talked my buddy into playing wurm and I play to teach him how to play he doesn't need to go thru the tutorial

- Alts of Premium accounts, obviously should not have to go thru a mandatory tutorial....  (Though they should get some sort of Infamy when mis-used as spy alts)

What would the Mandatory Tutorial be

A land of low difficulty mobs, plentiful guard towers, Mines that have been reinforced with plentiful veins so they are not destroyed by dumb mining, and plenty of mountains where people can dumb mine!  

You Graduate it when you reach a certain skill gain amount or you create a boat and sail away....

A land where the starter town has Large Anvils PLANTED Forges PLANTED Ovens PLANTED etc to make it easy to craft!

A land with lots of FLAT land for lots of 1*1 wooden shacks!

when Writs leave said land they vanish and you never can return too....  No Veteran can travel there and grief! 

*** I believe if the normal random new wurm player was put into this type of environment, No Trolls, or Veteran players, easy access to resources, that they could learn the basics of wurm in a peaceful less hectic way!***

That it would help player retention!

Edited by sulfurblade
  • Like 3

@sulfurblade 

I've never seen new players that are asking questions in the help chat being responded to like that, ever.

Good point on new players have no idea that things get 50x easier with higher skills.

• Like 1

ive quit cause of my mrs. After divorce i am my own boss. and to be honest would disagree with most of your stuff

Premium woes game premium cost 8 eur a month - just dont smoke for a day and here we go. and even if you are f2p you can still ride a cow and sail the seas. 

Slow beginnings you dont go for leveling skills up in the beginning. Wurm has so much to offer that you dont even notice how you reach that 20 cap in most if the useful skills.

Unfriendly players/staff i thought there was a reason why GMs are GMs... My first ever corb was build with a help of Pagani and Bloodscyhe, who made items otherwise uncraftable for ftp players (didnt even charge for a posting expenses!). Thus, i doubt something changed since.

Complicated game mechanics i thought that is one of the things that makes games interesting. 

Population density I am sorry i dont see any problems here.

I believe different games are for different people. Some like racing, some like football, others prefer Wurm. And if someone gives it a try and doesnt like that type of game doesnt mean there is a problem.

I am with this guy. 3+ years of active play on current char, and more before that during the buggy times when I spawned the first time in legoland Newtown.

It's niche, not for everyone. It's for some, I am one of those who came here because of what it is. If it's not for you, then no harm done, you get to keep searching for the great game.

Apart from being divorced, my situation lines up with the poster I quoted above, and as for complicated game mechanics... i love it, it makes this true sandbox nature something that is long lived and difficult, and adventurous. Hoping every day for more complex recipes, discoveries and formulas, and that they would be documented less and left for us to find.

Totally new player here, 1 month into Wurm and never before played that game. Actually, never heard of it until a month ago :)

What brought me to Wurm world?
Boredom of the regular MMO games. "Go kill 20 of those, bring back their tales and ears" style isn't for me. The need to grind experience to unlock next level spells, which you have like 200 eventually and usually only use 5-10 of them... No, really not my style.

Then a lucky googling session gave me Wurm review. I liked it, downloaded, played a few days... subscribed. No regrets thus far.

I think of myself as a quick learner, when it comes to games. First day in Wurm was like in any other game - don't know what the hell I'm doing or supposed to do. The somewhat crude tutorial through the starter area didn't help much. Somehow I got to the portal and it gave me server options. That's where I started doing research and found wurmpedia (browser version). *Phew*

That's the first big hurray - up to date and awesome wiki for the game.

Moving on. I saw a recruitment board somewhere. "Nah, thanks, but I'll go solo!". Made my way to the nearest forest. It was night. And oh hey, the night in Wurm is actually dark! And there's no map with red YOU ARE HERE dot. "Mkay, I think we're lost..." That's when I saw a rooster. Its day had come. I double-clicked my sword and started hitting the thing. After 10 minutes the creature was slain and I was bleeding. "Ok, we're going back to that recruitment board..."

First drawback - if a rooster gives me such hard time... should I even be here?

Coming dawn, I had found my way back. Scrolled through the ads for villages. I liked that it showed who was online so I knew I could get a quick reply. Some guy named "Beach" was online, offering free building plots and advice and tools and treasures and fun and blackjack and...

Ok, I joined a village, got a free teleport there. Somewhere. A guy picks me up and says "I'll give you a tour in the village".

Sure, no problem, let's go. After the tour, I wasn't any smarter (love ya B, but as a first timer I was looking at trees and flowers, didn't remember a thing about public forge or Neverwinter villa).

Then I got my plot. To build my own house!

"You should start with a fence, I recommend low stone wall. Here's some stuff to get you started" says the tour guy from his cart and drops a barrel, some crates (BSB as I now know) and a lanter. "It gets dark in Wurm" he says and takes off. "If you have questions, just ask!"

And I did ask. Asked him, asked the other people who came online soon after. Asked wiki. Built the wall. And you know what? Wurm was not so complicated at all as I had felt after killing that Rambooster.

If you are persistent and dedicated and care enough to do some research, you will get stuff done.

On the third day I almost fell down a hellofahigh cliff. "This could use a fence here, or something..." and when I told that to the others, they sort of agreed. Third day in Wurm and I started building iron chain fence. Didn't have to kill 20 anythings to unlock it. True, there are skill level limitations at different abilities, but they're mostly "real" life level, if you know what I mean. Don't really build a 10-story house right off the bat. You build 10 cottages first and fail a lot doing so. But hey, I can try forging nails, even though they're most likely to be crappy! And color my cart!

You learn and gain skill by failing a lot. You try, try, and try again. That's life, people.

I upgraded my house, because somehow I gained carpentry skill. Apparently I did something useful. After the house v.2 was done, I noticed I had gained enough knowledge to build it bigger. Done again. Then I found an aged hen in the forest and brought it home. Still waiting for eggs, btw. Then some more animals. I got to see a scorpion walking in the village and killing a guard. I learned that a bow without string is not really effective. I made wine. I built a boat!

So much to do and redo! 

Every now and then we have strangers appearing in local. It's kind of interesting for me because so far the village members are the only people I know. Although I cannot say I miss big crowds. Having 5-10 people to talk nonsense to feels enough. I went for a walk in the forest the other day. 40 minutes and not a single human. It felt so real! Nobody was killing giants or rats at every corner possible.

If I go look for a quiet place to talk to squirrels or just wander around, I can do that.

A month in and I love it so far. I haven't had much "outside" contact and don't know anything about the GM's or other VIP's of the game. I don't really care at this point. I'm playing my game as I want it. The game does have somewhat complicated crafting system for newcomers, but I think it keeps the game at certain maturity level and keeps the whiners out. Not all games have to be easy.

Another big plus for the game - it's not pay-to-win. Sure, you can get better tools and slight boost in skillgain, but that's it. Limited bonuses. Please don't fck that up!

I would not want to go into speculations what I think about the game in 6 months. Would I get bored of building and exploring? Maybe. Things change, interests change, lives change.

Without leavers we would not have quiet and empty roads, strange monuments in the midst of nothing, deserted and haunting houses and settlements guarded by scorpions.
My village elders have been in and out of the game for years. Something brings them back again and again. I suppose every game can become somewhat dull at some point and people need to take breaks.

Don't make the game too easy and we're good :)

• Like 5

Good report Shmeric.  Nice to hear from a newbie that things are going well. :)

:Condensed Post, Full content Linked:

Totally new player here, 1 month into Wurm and never before played that game. Actually, never heard of it until a month ago :)

What brought me to Wurm world?

Boredom of the regular MMO games. "Go kill 20 of those, bring back their tales and ears" style isn't for me. The need to grind experience to unlock next level spells, which you have like 200 eventually and usually only use 5-10 of them... No, really not my style.

Then a lucky googling session gave me Wurm review. I liked it, downloaded, played a few days... subscribed. No regrets thus far.

I think of myself as a quick learner, when it comes to games. First day in Wurm was like in any other game - don't know what the hell I'm doing or supposed to do. The somewhat crude tutorial through the starter area didn't help much. Somehow I got to the portal and it gave me server options. That's where I started doing research and found wurmpedia (browser version). *Phew*

That's the first big hurray - up to date and awesome wiki for the game.

First drawback - if a rooster gives me such hard time... should I even be here?

If you are persistent and dedicated and care enough to do some research, you will get stuff done.

You learn and gain skill by failing a lot. You try, try, and try again. That's life, people.

So much to do and redo! 

If I go look for a quiet place to talk to squirrels or just wander around, I can do that.

Don't make the game too easy and we're good :)

Updated the thread to incorporate positive results into the research collected as well as negative outcomes. Edited by Slickshot