Sign in to follow this  
adonies

Best Crudist Area on Xanadu

I have thought of doing this very thing when seeing the update on crude tools.  I'd like to hear more

I intend to make a crude diary on some post about the adventures we'll have.

• Like 1

Starter tent and toolbelt, these are the only items we'll take.

Even though I think taking a tent along sort of defeats the purpose of "survivalist" mode, I can understand the reasoning behind it.

What I don't understand is why the toolbelt?  As far as I'm aware, that item offers nothing but convenience and is something that should be worked towards ... especially if you're starting from crude tools.  What am I missing?

• Like 1

Starter tents

Our game time is of necessity limited, unfortunately, and we don't want to spend it on endlessly walking back and forth the starting town from accidental deaths. We had decided to deed wherever we would toil, which would help with resurrection distances on Xanadu. However it turned out that it is hard to come to a good spot, so we'd probably incur more cost moving the deed once or twice. Enter starter tents: we will use them as resurrection points until we decide on the correct point to deed, whether it be one or twelve days...

Toolbelt

We feel that it is a convenient item to have; it is GUI/HUD oriented, so it doesn't really affect the survivalistic spirit of our project. We could easily do without, and the in-game experience would be exactly the same (times, failures, etc), just ourselves as users less comfortable. It doesn't seem to affect the adventure we'll be having at all...

What do you mean hard to come to a good spot? Xanadu is loaded with places to willingly die over and over again. Huge tracts of unpopulated land.

• Like 2

What do you mean hard to come to a good spot? Xanadu is loaded with places to willingly die over and over again. Huge tracts of unpopulated land.

Being unpopulated is only part of the equation; water, iron, woods, etc. being among the rest of the factors to decide to deed a place. And so few only because we're simply 'cruding', as opposed to 'devoting' our in-game life to that deed.

That being said, I totally agree with you: ΑÎΔΡΩΠΕΠΙΦΑÎΩΠΠΑΣΑ ΓΗ ΤΑΦΟΣ (The whole earth is the sepulchre of famous men) * replace Earth with Xanadu :)

What time zone are you playing in? I am almost tempted to join you if you are allowing people you don't know. I even have an alt that I have registered but never logged in yet.

I am in Arizona at GMT-7.

Incidently, mining is kinda my thing so I would be happy to spearhead the mining resources end of things.

Edited by Kyleshandra
  • Like 1

I play at GMT+3, but the other two guys are at GMT-5 (Iowa and Texas iirc).

We are already creating alts and familiarizing ourselves with the area of Linton. However, the official start will be on Monday, Aug 10th 13:00 GMT.

We'd be happy to have you with us!

Edited by adonies

Sounds good :) I can't promise to stick with it but I will give it a shot :)

Look for Slythe (or Slyther) to show up within a day or two :)

As I see it, until we find 'the spot' the hard part might be coordinating move if we are on at different times :) Until we can set up the strings and tin cans (note to self-prospect for tin) we may have to rely on this not so crude forum for communication!

• Like 1

As I understand it, the idea isn't that anything we can make is off limits, just that we are starting from crude tools instead of the ready made starter set, and then creating others as we can? right?

I wonder if you can prospect with the crude pickaxe... hmmm... is there a crude pickaxe or do I not have one until I can find enough iron rocks for one... it has been a while since I read up on the crude tools :)

Edited by Kyleshandra
  • Like 1

buy a legacy GV toon ...no skills over 20 and no items anywhere cos they decayed long ago.

you only have what you can make ...and imp to 20ish

kinda permadeath too, cos you'd respawn in the tutorial with no way back to GV

Edited by JDBooker
  • Like 1

That would work... but I don't think I will be paying extra for a limited character :)

• Like 1

Look for Slythe (or Slyther) to show up within a day or two :)

Will do. Keep your eyes open for Raemus and Remulous (the third alt is yet to be named); they are currently loitering around Linton's token...

As I understand it, the idea isn't that anything we can make is off limits, just that we are starting from crude tools instead of the ready made starter set, and then creating others as we can? right?

I wonder if you can prospect with the crude pickaxe... hmmm... is there a crude pickaxe or do I not have one until I can find enough iron rocks for one... it has been a while since I read up on the crude tools :)

We dropped everything, except the toolbelt and tent, before going to Linton.

Like you say, only what we can make with our own hands.

That extends to not using what other players have made, or receiving help, or lucky finds (e.g. newb corpse drop piles, guard towers, existing abandoned deeds & mines, etc).

About crude toolset you can read more here:

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Crude

and here (recent addition):

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Crude_axe

We've had a discussion about when the project will be finished, as two of the guys have prem-ed their crudist chars, and the other two haven't.

I think that a suitable goal for a non-prem char in the crudist setting is to come the end state of having all the items of the starter kit (http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Starter_kit).

At that point, the char will be a starting newbie like any other, and the concept will have been proven.

Any thoughts on that?

I agree... I just managed to open the iron mine and realistically, tomorrow I could have every tool I want. The only hard part is the steel and flint... the lava spiders may be our only shot and without a guard tower, I can't imagine how many times we will die to kill one...

And flint is just a waiting game in terms of mining it... or praying for it if we were followers.

• Like 1

I will say, mining with the crude axe is tense, it damages fast! I am on my third to simply tunnel and open one square.

• Like 1

It can be a lot of fun.  I did it several years ago when you lost your nube tools the first time you died.  I ended up taking the avatar premium for a while. 

• Like 1

I guess the backpack will take a bit... although there are bison up near the lava spiders... do they give hide? Although, even fighting a bison could be a challenge for a group of new crudists!

As soon as I can, I will get to work on weapons and armor!

• Like 1

If you can find a deer or wild horse those would be a much easier kill to get a hide.

Bison are tanks. :angry:

• Like 1

Good point Bachus :)

Well, I didn't make it to camp last night but I now have a full set of basic tools :)

Pickaxe, hatchet, shovel, rake, carving knife, butcher knife, and chisel I think.

Tonight I think I take long enough to make a longsword and then head down... gotta figure out what to leave here though... to much stuff foraged to carry it all :)

• Like 1