Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

PvE Event : Libila's Spear's

Currently PvE offers little reason to travel regularly save for big events like unique hunts and even then most go by boat rather than road.  There is also very little vE in the PvE part of the game and I think, using some existing assets and mechanics, this could be rectified.

Essentially this suggestion involves random "spears" (black pillar/obelisks/shrines etc, whatever fits) appearing on tiles in the wilderness.  These spears convert a 5x5 area into mycellium and create an AI microdeed that has a couple of guards.  These deeds grow over time (1 tile in diameter per 3 days?) but cannot expand when they go up against the perimeter of existing deeds, they cannot be deeded over and nor can deeds be expanded over them.

This gives the effect of the area of corruption slowly spreads outwards (with a little random spotting occurring nearby on non-deed tiles to make the transition smoother).

As these deeds get larger they may start to send out patrols every wurm week (small groups of mobs from previous tiers) into a surrounding area that attack guards at guard towers on sight AND players.

The "guards" on these deeds are related to their size, some rough ideas (guidelines) on the size of groups that can take them down :

5x5 - 2 QL20 geared, 20 FS characters (Spawn in groups of 1, 4 guards total) - No patrols

15x15 - 4 QL40 geared, 40 FS characters (Spawn in groups of 2, 8 guards total) - No patrols

25x25 - 6 QL60 geared, 60 FS characters (Spawn in groups of 4, 16 guards total) - Weak Patrols (2 QL20 geared, 20 FS characters can take em down, max 4 patrols at any time, 2 mobs in patrol)

35x35+ - 8 QL80 geared, 80 FS characters (Spawn in groups of 8, 32 guards total) - Moderate Patrols (4 QL40 geared, 40 FS characters can take em down, max 6 patrols at any time, 4 mobs in patrol)

These mobs have low chances to drop low QL tools and items made from more exotic materials (Bronze tools/Weapons) however nothing of value is dropped.  When a "spear" is destroyed (all guards defeated and bashed a few times) they drop some unique items, the bigger the area of corruption the better the odds of something good dropping (So a 5x5 is likely just to drop some QL30 materials while a 35x35 might give you some lumps of ada or glimmersteel).  Maybe items that are currently only PvP obtainable at the moment?

• Like 5

I think it would be cool also as an add on to your idea, when the spear or token, whichever is drained or bashed has a possibility to spawn a boss of some sort. So maybe a 5x5 area it spawns a slightly harder character where as a 35x35 spawns a very hard boss which could maybe even have a tiny chance of dropping a moon metal armor piece or tool/weapon at a random ql.

• Like 1

+1 to adding random events on Freedom servers - something like this and other kinds od similar events would be a great addition. :)

• Like 1

It would just introduce another whole host of bugs when wurm is already saturated with them.

Like this idea. Sounds like it could be fun to search around for spawning ``spears``, then gather a group to defeat it.

+1 for adding more PvE to PvE.

Right now you could remove all hostile mobs and it wouldn't make much difference to PvE in most places.

+1 to some actual pve content of course

but this idea needs scaling the difficulty WAY up

Personally I think if there is to be tricky PvE "end-game" type attractions, they need to be opt-in in some way (really trying to avoid the word "instance"). This idea sounds nice for high FS players. But for people who play only to craft and trade rather than fight, plus newbies, it removes any ability to make travel truly safe.

While theoretically some kind player could come and clean out my backyard, I don't want to be dependent on that. So basically I'm -1 to the idea as it stands, but like the model if it can be made opt-in.

This idea sounds nice for high FS players. But for people who play only to craft and trade rather than fight, plus newbies, it removes any ability to make travel truly safe.

While theoretically some kind player could come and clean out my backyard, I don't want to be dependent on that. So basically I'm -1 to the idea as it stands, but like the model if it can be made opt-in.

Some folks are already dependent on others for clearing out their yard. I was asked to clean mobs out of a mine for someone today. Also, there are Uniques on PvE that could jump anyone too. If this "spear" was visible from a distance (taller than trees), people would be able to see it, and possibly avoid it. I think this idea could use some brainstorming, there's lots of experienced and knowledgeable players who could definitely contribute to improving this.

• Like 1

I don't play PvE but I still like it, possibly have the spears make a beam in the sky, similar to the BL the bone altar generates

These mobs have low chances to drop low QL tools and items made from more exotic materials (Bronze tools/Weapons) however nothing of value is dropped.  When a "spear" is destroyed (all guards defeated and bashed a few times) they drop some unique items, the bigger the area of corruption the better the odds of something good dropping (So a 5x5 is likely just to drop some QL30 materials while a 35x35 might give you some lumps of ada or glimmersteel).  Maybe items that are currently only PvP obtainable at the moment?

I can see so much drama coming from people destroying pillars that were being "farmed"/left alone to grow for better rewards.

I can see so much drama coming from people destroying pillars that were being "farmed"/left alone to grow for better rewards.

If potential drama is a deterrent to implement features, then we should get ride of 95% of the game, terraforming = drama, mining = drama, raids = drama, cutting trees = drama, emotes = drama, etc, etc, etc.

This idea would be a interesting idea if these areas are instanced, when you get near perhaps there is an orb object to enter the scenario. This game could benefit greatly with dungeons and raids like this, as it's the only thing that's really missing from Wurm let the PVE players have some fun. Let people do something different for a change but please let everyone be able to do this these should stay around for a while so multiple groups can enjoy the content. So +1 for a clever idea.

If spear would slowly become bigger and bigger, then the last stage could send server-wide beam to the sky. Enemies coming from spear would need to be slow enough to allow low FS characters to escape, but - if spear is attacked - all enemies should instantly aggro on attacking character and receive speed bonus.

• Like 1

An absolutely terrible suggestion/idea. First of all Libila and mycelium are pvp features and should not be allowed to *creep* into the PvE servers under this guise. Secondly, world transforming environmental destructive effects should not be introduced into the PvE servers either.

Worse yet, you propose that these areas will block deed placement/expansion and will even grow and expand over time. Then add onto that you want NPC humanoids (?) or some other type of unknown aggressive mobs to spawn from these what you term "deeds" that will then harass the local residents within their vicinity.

Further growing in *worseness*, these infected spaces with their NPC's (?) must be fought by groups of players. No mention then is even made about any ability to remove these infected areas through group efforts, which requirement then would impose impossible hardship on individual players who do not wish to go begging to other players for help, thus depriving them of their ability to play normally without a dependency upon others. 

There are enough aggressive mobs within the game that continually harass players endlessly but at least these do not damage the environment and expansively block deed placement and expansion as per your suggestion. With the current aggro's Wurm PvE has as much "E" in it as other popular PvE games, with I would add much worse fighting capability within the game to eliminate them. As an example open your Combat tab and watch all the "misses" one after the other even at what within other games would be very high fighting skills.

The Wurm fighting mechanics are simply not designed to handle a suggestion such as this, nor is the game even designed as a aggro fighting experience. To endorse more disruptive and unavoidable conflicts such as this should they invade/spawn within ones local area only disrupts the other core mechanics of the game such as building Villages/areas and crafting, which really is what Wurm is all about.

Put something of this sort only on a server which is designed and intended for it, then I would have little objection to those who desired this sort of thing moving and living there under whatever conflicts emerged. An idea of this sort is way to disruptive to life on the current PvE servers and should never be considered for them.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes