• Large Metal Shield
    • Medium Metal Shield
    • Small Metal Shield
    • Large Wooden Shield
    • Medium Wooden Shield
    • Small Wooden Shield
    • Tortoise Shield
    • No shield

This question is directed to players on Freedom.

What type of craftable shield do you use?

• Like 2

"The Gods gave you two hands, and you use them both for your weapon... I can respect that."

• Like 6

Depends how I feel, but lately Small Metal Shield. Grinded it to 90 for fun. :D

Why to use shield, when I can finish most "threats" in two swings of my huge axe? :P

• Like 1

Why to use shield, when I can finish most "threats" in two swings of my huge axe? :P

Because you can't tank 10 trolls with a huge axe :)

Moved to Town Square as the post isn't asking for advice, help or support.

True, 10 trolls could be too much, but 3 trolls easily, while sitting on cart ...

But I have to admit, there were times, when large metal shield was useful for me and probably saved me in tough situations :)

This thread implies that anything other than a huge axe is acceptable, totally false.

• Like 10

As Budda stated, Huge axe is the way to go.

Everything else is for fun/hobby/experiment/annoy that veteran/fail intentionally/etc... ;)

Currently dualwielding small axes, which one of those above is it?

I voted large metal shield, although on my main character I do not use one, because I use a large maul. However if I did, I would go with large metal shield. 

Large metal but I often use medium metal aswell. 

• Like 1

Have used large metal ever since archery became worth it to work on (a bit too much at the time), and I've never had a reason to stop using them.

Nasty pointy things... arrows

I never understood why people use metal shields, they require hot forge/lumps to improve, they also come out low QL. U can't improve em while moving (on horseback), the tools are heavier.

Wooden shields come out high QL, they require just a log and lightweight tools, u can also improve ur shield while hunting/moving.

Pls someone explain me why so many people use metal shields and not woodens.

• Like 5

I use large wooden because it looks the best and you can not imp the tortoise ones or i would likely be using that one.  

If you leave a shield+lump in the forge a while, you can imp on horseback. As I carry a full kit of tools on me, I have spent time imping metals shields on horseback :) I use both LMS and MMS, I haven't gotten around to using more shields because we can't dual wield shields :( ALSO why can't we wield a small shield with 2h weapon?

I would use a shield, since my affinity is medium mauls, but there's something immensely satisfying about using a large maul to hit something "deadly hard." 

A friend did give me a really good medium maul recently, though, so I'm definitely going to keep my eye on this thread.  Once I get my large maul skill to 50+, I'm planning to switch over to the medium maul, and I'll need to use a good shield with it. 

I voted no shield preferring my huge axe on most occasions.I do admit to using a lms rarely in order to tank. Especially when hunting with friends

Whatever I think looks best at the time.

Although for practical use? 2h all the way on freedom.

There just isn't anything dangerous enough to warrant a shield. (Generally, if you've got 10 trolls on you, that's something you've done wrong and should/could have avoided)

Didn't see "2hander with Lt" so I voted no shield

• Like 1

I like to dual wield large axes with LT in aggressive stance.  But from time to time I like to punish myself leveling shield bash with a medium metal shield.

Only reason I use a large wooden paper weight is because I found it with bits and pieces of armor lying about. Otherwise I wouldn't even have one.

I couldn't tank even one Troll and from my meager fighting experience Tanking, as I know it from other MMOs, does not exist here, at least not in a way I would recognize it as "tanking". Tanking in other MMOs is my preferred role.   ( Tanking in Wurm probably requires high shield skill and FS. I am no fan of Wurm's combat system. I hate the FS system so much I won't skill it up. Fighting to me in Wurm is like hitting myself in the face with a frypan instead of hitting the goblin.)

Small Metal shield is what I use. I did try using medium and large shield but those shields seemed to make no discernable difference so I switched back to small.

Edited by geode

I used to use medium wooden, then large wooden then went for using a scythe instead... :D

Actually turns out you can :D

• Like 1