Sign in to follow this  
Postinglels

Get a Dev to sit on the sidelines during a raid to see how dumb and boring it is, and from this perhaps find ways of making it less bad

Yeah because I know when I log into Wurm, I'm expecting dynamic fast paced action.  I mean, that's why we're all here am I right?

Oh that was sarcasm by the way.  Could you tell?

• Like 1

dynamic? yes

fast paced? no

I'm expecting some reasonably balanced PvP that isn't purely about turbonerding, shield of the gone, "creative use" of mechanics, and other general nonsense, but about who actually plays better

the fast pace of today's mainstream PvP games is what makes them suck; Wurm's slow pace makes PvP deaths matter enough to give you that adrenaline rush that no other game does, but the slow pace is too slow, especially considering most of it is due to way too much RNG (enchanting, fix ralf pls) and not enough meaningful player input and gameplay

TL;DR grinding sucks, we need more actual meaningful and fun gameplay and better balance with less grinding and less RNG

Wurm is about who plays better.  Who has better accounts and better gear from playing the game.  Who has better organization and cooperation.  Who has better command of the rules and how to work within them to be stronger than their opponents.  Who is better at preparing and controlling their character.  You need to master to all of these areas to be good at this game.  If part of this list bores you then maybe Wurm PvP on Chaos is not for you.

Speaking strictly about Chaos where the rules clearly state you need 25 individual accounts to form a PMK, you should expect to need to have 25 individual players for success on raids.  If you don't have the social skills to maintain and lead a group of 25 players in an MMO you should not be rewarded with rules changes to make it easy or as you call it "fast paced, dynamic".  

TL;DR grinding sucks, we need more actual meaningful and fun gameplay and better balance with less grinding and less RNG

If you are opposed to grinding and RNG then you are definitely playing the wrong game and should find one with rules that suit your expectations of fun in a game.

Edited by madnezz
  • Like 3

Wurm is about who plays better.  Who has better accounts and better gear from playing the game.  Who has better organization and cooperation.  Who has better command of the rules and how to work within them to be stronger than their opponents.  Who is better at preparing and controlling their character.  You need to master to all of these areas to be good at this game.  If part of this list bores you then maybe Wurm PvP on Chaos is not for you.

Speaking strictly about Chaos where the rules clearly state you need 25 individual accounts to form a PMK, you should expect to need to have 25 individual players for success on raids.  If you don't have the social skills to maintain and lead a group of 25 players in an MMO you should not be rewarded with rules changes to make it easy or as you call it "fast paced, dynamic".  

If you are opposed to grinding and RNG then you are definitely playing the wrong game and should find one with rules that suit your expectations of fun in a game.

• Like 1

Long hard work is associated with boring. Quick fast paced is fun.

Edited by Arronicus

Oh crap! They know about MrC getting preferred treatment!?

Raids in wurm have nothing to pvp. 99% of them takes place when defenders are off-line.

But looking at the current situation on elevation, I would certainly increased the damage on off deed buildings. 

Edited by Kuciak
  • Like 1

"Long hard work is associated with boring. Quick fast paced is fun."

because we play video games to engage in long hard work after we get home from a long hard work day /sarcasm

do these plebians even think before they type? 

"Long hard work is associated with boring. Quick fast paced is fun."

because we play video games to engage in long hard work after we get home from a long hard work day /sarcasm

do these plebians even think before they type? 

• Like 1

For all you know some of the people pvping ARE GMs.

Varying degree of controversy over this during the years. Some even QQ and whined about Devs pvping. One GM in particular even voluntarily stepped down as a GM so they could pvp more with less drama.

Not to mention some of the enemy faction forum threads dedicated to attempts in collecting dirt on this or that GM. Those were particularly amusing.

I think we're talking about Devs here and not GMs...

GMs moderate the game, Devs well develop the game.

GMs are not to be dismissed so easily in this context, I have seen many pvp bugs be reported by GMs.

They do tend to be the ones most familiar with the reporting process and testing for such. Not to mention a certain degree of trust there.

In addition pvp GMs would be familiar with the context.

difficulty is what separates the good from the bad, and it is something that is clearly lacking in this game's design

If you were at all serious about separating the good from the bad within the current context and ruleset of Wurm you wouldn't complain about things like "use the best" and balance, you would recognize & embrace them as the challenges they are.  The fact you don't see those as challenges shows that your real intentions are to try to make Wurm like every other game you are used to playing.  Instead of getting better and putting in the time and/or money to do so its a hell of a lot easier to come to the forums everyday and lobby the devs for ezmode.

It's like you want to play chess but only if the rules are the same as checkers...

Do you?  Raiding is destroying someones hard work and home, it is hard and never should be easy and fast. If it is boring you can make it fun for yourself, but you do not need to change mechanics because you are bored. It is atm much faster to destroy a deed then build one and making it even more "fun" and easier/faster would make no sense and would just make it so that people just start popping deeds without building them (jkc tactics).

on chaos, its very rarely actually anyones home.

If you were at all serious about separating the good from the bad within the current context and ruleset of Wurm you wouldn't complain about things like "use the best" and balance, you would recognize & embrace them as the challenges they are.  The fact you don't see those as challenges shows that your real intentions are to try to make Wurm like every other game you are used to playing.  Instead of getting better and putting in the time and/or money to do so its a hell of a lot easier to come to the forums everyday and lobby the devs for ezmode.

It's like you want to play chess but only if the rules are the same as checkers...

That's not a very good analogy in the slightest.

It's like playing chess, and wondering why your pawn can't move like a queen. (Because the game mechanics don't allow it.)

So lets pretend for a second that the mechanics of chess let you pick your own pieces, and white picks 16 queens, black picks 16 pawns. Black is at such a large disadvantage that its not really a challenge, and nobody in their right mind would pick that as an option... So if an option gives no opportunity, whats the point of having it as an option?

Edited by Propheteer

Hey I have an idea, fix catapulting already. It's absolutely retarded how buggy catapulting is. There are shit mechanics that make no sense and just hinder progress. For instance, if you have an altar on the tile directly North or West of the tile your catapult is on, it won't let you shoot, saying "the area is too crowded." What's the point in this when you can shoot if the altar is on South or East side? Seriously, fix catapulting and I guarantee it will be a bit more enjoyable, maybe even a bit easier without making it 'too easy.'

What other bugs have you found while catapulting? Need reproducable issues (on test server preferably)

The real question is ofcourse how are any of these arguments relevant to getting the devs to look at a game, as live to see some of the many flaws for themselves.

Whatever the delusional types may have convinced themselves of the current system doesn't work. A single prem no fs alt is enough reason for group of 5 decent to good accounts to bugger off. Surely with all siege equipment and strategic use of available mechanics this group would have no real reason to worry and flee. However with remote inviting, teleporting and all that jazz they had every expectation of a group beaming in on them.

Here's some more ideas for North Rehan to dump on

Once a week a pmk/kingdom may place a siege token. Only one token may be in play for each kingdom at any given time. It should cost the same a a size 5 deed to drop and maintain. It does not act as a respawn. It is to be placed within 5 -30 tiles of the deed to be sieged. It's effect is preventing new villagers from joining the deed while the token still exists. It allows only walls and gates to be built on it (no buildings that require a writ) and no mine openings ondeed or in perimeter.

How about them apples

• Like 1

You havnt even explained what te token does or what it means?

Reguardless, -1.

Once a week a pmk/kingdom may place a siege token. Only one token may be in play for each kingdom at any given time. It should cost the same a a size 5 deed to drop and maintain. It does not act as a respawn. It is to be placed within 5 -30 tiles of the deed to be sieged. It's effect is preventing new villagers from joining the deed while the token still exists. It allows only walls and gates to be built on it (no buildings that require a writ) and no mine openings ondeed or in perimeter.

This interests me.

But I feel it would work better as a spell that prevents all teleports into or out of the casters local range. (That includes twigs/karma/meditation abilities etc)

The Spell should need to be constantly channeled or perhaps spawns some kind of entity that the caster or casters can feed favour into to maintain. (And that others can destroy if it is undefended)

A single prem no fs alt is enough reason for group of 5 decent to good accounts to bugger off.

Limited experience here, but yes alts are annoying.

Overheard someone else's suggestion, can't remember who, but there should be a respawn timer.

Make it very short at first, maybe only 30 seconds or even just instant for the first death, but it increases quickly for every death with a long cooldown before it returns to normal.

Also Mol-Rehan = Best-Rehan.

ty.

You want pvp but you dont want players to defend deeds you are attacking, seriously?  You shouldn't win if you show up with 5 players on Chaos to raid.  Its kingdom vs kingdom not casual run about and destroy things with a small group.  You need 25 premium accounts to make a kingdom for a reason, delusional is thinking you don't.

Using the forums to make raiding easier for you is really weak.

Edited by madnezz
  • Like 1

I was on the alt lel, you're kingdom ran. I'm trying to create a scenario where there is an incentive for the attackers to stick around and for the defenders to push. But seeing as you don't engage in pvp whatsoever I'd doubt you would get that sentiment madddddnezz

Edit: also seriously lel when an entire kingdom is numbered at 25 players is that not a sad reflection of an mmo. Even if you despise me and my suggestions seriously consider that if the game was more fun, you would have more people to play with and better player retention. Perhaps instead of sending emails to rolf with the intention of maintaining the status quo, find ways of implementing changes that benefit the server as a whole.

Edited by Postinglels
  • Like 1

• Like 2

except balance is what creates challenge, and I am asking for a challenge in overcoming the enemy's thought process (it won't be hard against you kek)

tedium is not challenge, if you can't understand that, stop talking about balance

also chess / checkers are studied by game designers because they have existed for centuries and are still strategically deep and have not been solved because there are too many viable options to allow for a solution, thus they are two of the most balanced games ever to exist

You completely fail to see the challenge of Wurm which explains why you beg and whine for the rules to be changed all the time.  Wurm is a grind, you grind skills to get better and you use those skills to be better in PvP.  Unless you have 100 in all stats your account is not finished with the tedium aka challenge that Wurm offers. 

The chess/checkers analogy has nothing to do with ancient deep strategy, it merely illustrates you like the idea of being a good Wurm player but the rules of Wurm currently are too inconvenient for you.  In order to compensate you ask the developers to dumb down the game to the point where you think can compete with the least possible effort.

disallowing teleports would force defenders to strategically plan an entrance into a sieged deed instead of teleporting in with complete safety, thus creating PvP and at a higher quality due to the strategy involved in entering the deed and the attackers' efforts to prevent said entrance

Do you play on Chaos? 

Everytime we karma in to defend a deed we aren't just looking to repair, we are looking for kills!  We want to punish the attackers and we make our deeds accordingly.  If you were to disallow karma'ing ON CHAOS you would not be bolstering pvp, you would be negating it due to several factors including the size of the map and the time it would take to get to deeds under siege.  If you are sieging a deed and you have blocked all points of entry then there will be no reason to come to the deed while you are there unless the defenders could muster a force large enough to route those sieging in order to get through them to then bash their way in to then repair.  It would be suicide for a smaller force and you know it.  The raids on our deeds lately have been done either when everyone is sleeping and/or at work or when we are preoccupied else where on the map in order to avoid direct pvp conflict.

These types of threads are literally begging the developers to make the game easier for the OP.  I feel you lot only want arena style pvp and all the terraforming, deed building, crafting, skilling, grinding just gets in the way for you.  It explains why you tend to bicycle accounts more because you don't want to play wurm in its entirety.  You want a quick pvp fight where the enemy has no place to run or any ability to defend themselves with terrain.  There are games that are exactly what you are looking for, go play them if you are not happy playing Wurm, its OK.

Edited by madnezz
  • Like 1

You completely fail to see the challenge of Wurm which explains why you beg and whine for the rules to be changed all the time. Wurm is a grind, you grind skills to get better and you use those skills to be better in PvP. Unless you have 100 in all stats your account is not finished with the tedium aka challenge that Wurm offers.

The chess/checkers analogy has nothing to do with ancient deep strategy, it merely illustrates you like the idea of being a good Wurm player but the rules of Wurm currently are too inconvenient for you. In order to compensate you ask the developers to dumb down the game to the point where you think can compete with the least possible effort.

Do you play on Chaos?

Everytime we karma in to defend a deed we aren't just looking to repair, we are looking for kills! We want to punish the attackers and we make our deeds accordingly. If you were to disallow karma'ing ON CHAOS you would not be bolstering pvp, you would be negating it due to several factors including the size of the map and the time it would take to get to deeds under siege. If you are sieging a deed and you have blocked all points of entry then there will be no reason to come to the deed while you are there unless the defenders could muster a force large enough to route those sieging in order to get through them to then bash their way in to then repair. It would be suicide for a smaller force and you know it. The raids on our deeds lately have been done either when everyone is sleeping and/or at work or when we are preoccupied else where on the map in order to avoid direct pvp conflict.

These types of threads are literally begging the developers to make the game easier for the OP. I feel you lot only want arena style pvp and all the terraforming, deed building, crafting, skilling, grinding just gets in the way for you. It explains why you tend to bicycle accounts more because you don't want to play wurm in its entirety. You want a quick pvp fight where the enemy has no place to run or any ability to defend themselves with terrain. There are games that are exactly what you are looking for, go play them if you are not happy playing Wurm, its OK.

You seem to miss the point entirely madddddnezz. There is a level of skill involved in setting up a deed with numerous access routes. There is a level of skill involved in organising defenders to meet up a x location near the deed being raided. There is a level of skill in having some of these defence routes blocked by the attackers. There is no skill in "invite plox, huehuehuehue right click teleport ", and even less pvp as often the deeds you teleport in to defend have no horses or any means to chase the attacker resulting in no pvp just the usual "I went 2"s off my hop, ughh I'm beastmode right now".

Like what the heck.

• Like 2