Sign in to follow this  
zigon

Windows 10 graphics weirdness

Has she checked to see if her graphics card drivers are up to date?

WIndows 10 is gonna have oodles of bugs for now too, so be prepared to deal with funny things for a few months.

She probably didn't put her new video drivers for windows 10.

I had to install the Nvidia drivers twice for it all to take. Sound did not work the first time.  Try re running your graphics drivers even if it tells you you already have them.

Yes, the people above are right. Windows 10 installs the windows drivers for graphics cards by default. The windows drivers generally dont work well with wurm (and many other games). Reinstalling graphics drivers is the first thing to do. Both AMD and Nvidia have released WIndows 10 drivers on the day of its release

I had the same issue after installing the new Nvidia drivers. I had to go back into 3D settings for Nvidia so that Wurm would launch with it instead of Intel.

I've been on Windows 10 for months now, and yes - it doesn't like to install the right drivers. It also depends highly on your graphics card. Microsoft didn't put a whole lot of effort in supporting older cards, they wanted to make sure support for the new DirectX was tight. My 550 Ti wasn't even officially supported the last I looked, and I had to take a chance on the driver. I know the latest driver by nVidia didn't work and I had to take a previous version. I haven't tried again as I'm thinking about going back to Ubuntu anyway. :)

I have Windows 10 on my laptop, and it has both Intel and AMD graphics. Both graphics cards have the latest drivers (the AMD has the latest driver so that Windows 10 would actually work with AMD because before it wouldn't. I am seeing tile overlap in Wurm with tiles having a certain name and looking like a different tile (ex. tile will say cobblestone but look like a farm tile or dirt until I get close to it). I'm not sure why this is happening but hopefully it will be fixed soon or there is a setting that I can change to make it work.

I have Windows 10 on my laptop, and it has both Intel and AMD graphics. Both graphics cards have the latest drivers (the AMD has the latest driver so that Windows 10 would actually work with AMD because before it wouldn't. I am seeing tile overlap in Wurm with tiles having a certain name and looking like a different tile (ex. tile will say cobblestone but look like a farm tile or dirt until I get close to it). I'm not sure why this is happening but hopefully it will be fixed soon or there is a setting that I can change to make it work.

This is because wurm is using the intel instead of the AMD graphics. AMD uses a really weird way to handle this in comparison with Nvidia, mostly because they seem to have tons of different variations to this.

You can always try and rightclick the wurm icon on your desktop and select "start with graphical processor -> High performance AMD" (or something in this trend)

To try and fix it permanently without having to rightclick open everytime..

NOTE: There is a huge variation in versions of the ATI/AMD Radeon Catalyst Control Center for adjusting the settings for these cards so the following should be seen more as indicative than actual. Even if your Control Center looks different to these images, the principles are the same and you should be able to find similar options to those described here.

First open your catalyst control center

1. go to Graphics > PowerPlay - Set Plugged In and Battery to Maximum Performance. Click Apply.

AMD-powerplaysettings.jpg

2. If your Catalyst Control Center has the Switchable Graphics tab go there and go to "switchable global settings". Try to see if you can put it on "always prefer high performance AMD processor. (It might be called different, but the idea should be the same; preferring to use the high performance)

3. If this is not the case, go to the switchable graphics application settings and browse to locate java (either javaw.exe, javaws.exe or j2p_launcher.exe, with a little luck it is in "recent applications") and set it for High Performance. Click Apply.

Screen_Shot_2015-01-22_at_4.07.52_pm.png

I hope this helps!

Edited by Viti

This is because wurm is using the intel instead of the AMD graphics. AMD uses a really weird way to handle this in comparison with Nvidia, mostly because they seem to have tons of different variations to this.

You can always try and rightclick the wurm icon on your desktop and select "start with graphical processor -> High performance AMD" (or something in this trend)

To try and fix it permanently without having to rightclick open everytime..

NOTE: There is a huge variation in versions of the ATI/AMD Radeon Catalyst Control Center for adjusting the settings for these cards so the following should be seen more as indicative than actual. Even if your Control Center looks different to these images, the principles are the same and you should be able to find similar options to those described here.

First open your catalyst control center

1. go to Graphics > PowerPlay - Set Plugged In and Battery to Maximum Performance. Click Apply.

AMD-powerplaysettings.jpg

2. If your Catalyst Control Center has the Switchable Graphics tab go there and go to "switchable global settings". Try to see if you can put it on "always prefer high performance AMD processor. (It might be called different, but the idea should be the same; preferring to use the high performance)

3. If this is not the case, go to the switchable graphics application settings and browse to locate java (either javaw.exe, javaws.exe or j2p_launcher.exe, with a little luck it is in "recent applications") and set it for High Performance. Click Apply.

Screen_Shot_2015-01-22_at_4.07.52_pm.png

I hope this helps!

I did what you recommended and basically kicked everything Wurm related into High Performance mode and now the tile distortion is gone. Thank you very much for the help! Everything looks so much better now.

Thank you for this post !!!!!! this also works for Nvidia chipsets  this should be stickyed if it isn't already

Thanx for the post Vidi.  Right clicking on the icon then picking start with graphical processor fixed my problem with the ground showing textures that weren't there :)