Sign in to follow this  
LadyCygnet

What do you like about Wurm Online?

What do i like about wurm online?  Ummm everything? Well except for the trolls of course :P

Edited by 4neofclubs

I like being able to troll people over and over in the forums and in the game.

While that is indeed true, I call bluff on much of it.  2 rounds of challenge I played alongside you and witnessed a playful fun person with off the wall humor and innovative adventurous ideas about the game you say you hate but still can't stop playing.

The terraforming, the "build anywhere", and the intricate designing that you can do with buildings and in-game items keep me here.

Friends too, but to a lesser extent. I feel pretty confident that if a Wurm-like game with decent development speed existed, I could persuade those friends to join in. 

• Like 1

Random chit chat with everyone and grinding as much as possible without moving around. The more afk i can be while grinding the more satisfied i am.

Thats wurm for me.

• Like 1

Bloodscythe himself, being able to do things and getting them done, skilling

I never said I hate the game. I just don't coddle the developers or staff when I see poor judgement or decisions. As for in game, yeah, I like to see others have fun, including the enemy. However, since I play on a PvP server, I suspect that what I like to do in game is looked at by most Freedomers on the forums as trolling.

Given the amount of negative posts I've seen in the forum and Bloodscythe's comment that the community is what we make it, I felt compelled to start this thread and ask what everyone likes about Wurm Online.  While there are some complainers who have left, there are plenty of players who stay on, creating new things and hoping for better things to come in the game, the community, or both.

So, tell me: What do you like about Wurm Online?  Why do you stay?  What keeps you coming back?

These forums, these forums. Forget these forums. There are trolls on the forums who don't even play the game. Maybe they used to but now they just flame and troll with no interest in the game. I'd take the drama crap you see on the forums and flush them down the toilet. That's how useful it is. 

PMK. No other games does that, which is a shame that Wurm does not expand such feature more vertically.

I love the complexity and depth of the crafting system.

I love that everything ties in together.  Nothing I do in Wurm really feels wasted.  I can go about my projects, and in the process of doing them, 15 skills I didn't even know I had get exercised and level.

I love going for a walk.  Coming upon a village or homestead that clearly must have been a heck of a lot of work, or is particularly well thought out, put together... it can be really inspiring.

I love just giving the ole "o/" as I sail past a coastal village knowing those folks are busy toiling away on their own projects.

I love my horses, admittedly some more than others, kinda.

I love that there are people on other continents that I haven't seen in a long time, that I can't wait to get in my boat and go visit when my stead is steady.

I love picking sprouts.  I can't explain it.  I just like having tons of sprouts for any occasion.  Perhaps it's the landscaping without actually leaving my desk chair.

I love the continued progress and improvements to the game.  It all looks quite different than when I started.  My first house was slanted (forgot to flatten, and yes made me seasick at times :lol: )  The crafting window alone should have won an award in my book.  What an improvement!

I do, however, miss seeing all the talented riders standing on their horses.  I was seriously impressed first time I saw Melinda speeding by standing on her horse by nightmare lake on Deli.  I also remember thinking the bloke she was with must think I'm stupid if he thinks I'm actually gonna wear my shield on my arm  :P

Lastly, I hate light breezes  :angry:

• Like 5

Arguing with people on the forums. I seem to spend a lot of time doing it, so I have to put it here.

Oh. As for Wurm itself? The level of creativity involved in actual world terraforming, and persistence of creations. That even solo deeds can last for close to two years now, on Epic, keeps me playing.

I like that this game treats me like an adult and doesn't force me to go from quest to quest.  Look here, if I want to sit in my underwear, sip a beer, and spend the whole night working on a chair or maybe planting trees, that's my prerogative!

Lack of lore or story-driven gameplay - look here, I'm tired when I get home.  I don't care about saving a princess, or stopping an army - or grinding "levels" to become a chosen one or a hero.  I'm just a guy with some tools doing what I can to survive.

The community - way more mature and helpful than most games (mmo's) I've played.  Chat isn't full of stupid people spamming me with stupid things.

Sense of ownership - Most games don't even give you an apartment to call your own, much less the scale that Wurm offers.

Bison

My Knarr

And last but not least, Beilla and Tineen :D

• Like 2

What do I like about Wurm?  Glad to see this kind of thread.  Let's see....Wurm, How Do I Love Thee.....

Too many things to list in one sitting actually.  When I was on my hiatus last year, no matter what game I was trying and/or returning to, I found myself constantly comparing them to Wurm.......saying to myself things like "Damn, in Wurm I'd be able to <insert activity here>." 

So I finally had to ask myself what the hell I was doing trying to find Wurm somewhere else when it's right here.  lol.   There are so many things that I was spoiled to and starting to take for granted, that just don't exist in other games. And those few that do have some of the things I love about Wurm are always lacking in too many other things.

So here goes, in no particular order, and sadly incomplete.  :)

--Fireflies, butterflies, fish, birds

--Seasons

--Clouds moving in direction the wind is going and changing shape

--The surface of the water and the smoke from fires going in the direction of the wind

--Trees, grass, and plants waving in the wind and boats rocking in the harbor along with how strong the wind is (except when it's coming from the south, in my case on my deed. There's a big mountain to my south and it appears to take that into consideration. I could be wrong on that and need to observe a little longer to be sure, but that's what appears to be happening).

--Lightening (and while I hear it's possible to be struck, I hope that never happens. lol)

--The moons, the phases and eclipses

--Fog

--Foraging

--Farming

--Breeding animals for traits

--Baby horses romping and frolicking and then growing up, growing old, etc

--Building a ship piece by piece

--Building a structure piece by piece, deciding how I want it to look, seeing other people's creative ideas, being able to make each section of wall different if I so choose

--Different wall types, different roof types, different floor and road paving types

--Hell, building anything piece by piece :)

--Milking a cow, making cheese from the milk, and then using the cheese to cook a meal (or to make useless sandwiches for that project up a mountain,only to have them disappear long before I have need of them)

--Planting a tree, watching it grow over time. (I love my oaks. :))

--Chopping down a tree and seeing the felled tree on the ground which I can put in my cart for later or chop up on the spot

--When I chop down a tree or bush it stays gone, it doesn't automagically *respawn* unless a new sprout is planted or it spreads from surrounding trees/bushes in the area.

--I can drop something on the ground just about anywhere and it stays there unless I or someone else moves/takes it, or it decays away.

--There is little to no *fake* scenery....places I can't go because it's not really there, buildings/mountains/items/etc, that only exist for show but no one can interact with them. (only the birds and butterflies and such, if I'm not mistaken)

--Mining. Tunneling a real mine, any way I want it. No running around in the <insert resource here> spawn field, competing with gold farmers for nodes that will respawn in a minute or two.

--Making a boat cave

--Terraforming!!  Major biggie, terraforming.  :)  One of my absolute favorite things

--Multi story houses

--Stairs

--Bridges

--Being able to store things in my house and craft in my house, etc

--Decorating

--Visiting friends and neighbors and seeing what they're doing on their little pieces of the world, and they're not cookie-cutter replicas of mine.  (well, unless they stole some of my ideas or I stole theirs. lol. And even then they're still different, unlike most other games with so-called housing)

Well, as I said, too many things to list in one sitting so I'll stop here.  :)

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 7