Sign in to follow this  
LadyCygnet

What do you like about Wurm Online?

Given the amount of negative posts I've seen in the forum and Bloodscythe's comment that the community is what we make it, I felt compelled to start this thread and ask what everyone likes about Wurm Online.  While there are some complainers who have left, there are plenty of players who stay on, creating new things and hoping for better things to come in the game, the community, or both.

So, tell me: What do you like about Wurm Online?  Why do you stay?  What keeps you coming back?

• Like 4

As toxic as the forums can be sometimes I really enjoy the Wurm community in general and the people I closely play the game with. Plus of course I love the freedom and Sandbox elements that Wurm has to offer. I've been playing Wurm for about a decade now and I certainly don't see it changing anytime soon! 

• Like 6

I don't have to play it to play it... great for after work when you don't feel like doing anything yet still want to be productive and half-socialize and feel like you're getting closer to achieving something whether it be building or grinding skills.

• Like 1

So, tell me: What do you like about Wurm Online?  Why do you stay?  What keeps you coming back?

What I love about Wurm is that it leaves a lot of room for creative expression. While I do wish that I could grind carpentry a little faster so that I can complete my main building more quickly (as it stands, it will be a couple of years at least before I have sufficient skill to make Ascalon look as I want it to look), I love the fact that I can reshape the world around me, given enough time and/or materials. It also sparks my creativity in other areas outside of Wurm, and it's a great outlet for stress.

Another thing I love is the local community within the game.  I'm part of a remarkable alliance, and without the friendships I've built both within and outside of the alliance, I don't know if I would have as much interest in playing as I do now. It feels good to help others and work together to make something remarkable, whether it's crafting a large cart to help a newbie out or building a bridge with my allies and neighbors to make travel easier and safer for everyone in the area.  While I have control over what happens on my deed, and that feels great, too, it's nice to be part of something bigger as well.

• Like 3

helpfulness of Black Legion members

Susanne's picture

Candi's laugh

Hoppi's armour

Bloodscythe's always positive attitude

Tgod's rare deed

Wurmhole's outbids

Zenobia's actions for putting me on KOS when i only started the game and asked if he had few silver lumps for a pendulum

mycelium for always staying with full food and nutrition bars

everything else is just pixels 

Edited by bangzuvelis
  • Like 3

Is this some sort of trick question? I smell a trap here somewhere. Expecting positive comments? Really? An attempt to mess with what others enjoy about the game?

No, no, no! I am not giving away such vital information. Sorry, too wise for these types of tricks.

*slams the door shut and applies 25 fantastic locks*

Yes, the night has degenerated into a state of paranoia. Maybe when the refreshing light of dawn returns to shine with the bright hope of a new tomorrow, then will be the time for rejoicing.

=Ayes=

That's too bad.  I'm genuinely curious, because all of the recent melodrama and vitriol make me want to stay within the confines of my alliance and forget that these forums exist. 

While on the forums it may seem like pvp servers are extremely toxic... the people are really cool to be around and even if I stop playing for a while I still talk to them and such.

• Like 1

The sandbox, and when your part of a community it raises the game to a whole other level.

I"m not a casual gamer.  I can't play more than one at a time, and go all in when I do.  As such I usually wear a game out and grind it to the floor in hrs or days.  I like that you can't do that in wurm, as it will long out last you and wear you out before you wear it out.  I  like that it is NOT quest based and you can self guide custom play the game to the extent your imagination allows.  I like that you don't have to be 24/7 to the game and babysit actions , that you can pick it up or put it down as schedule allows and grow with it over time/years.  Although the game is the best thing i've ever found hands down, the game itself is only in fraction as fun until you include the community.  The players make the game much more rich and dimensional to enjoy both pvp and pve side.  This also reminds me of a thread made to celebrate players that have impacted your gaming in a positive way in wurm http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/117802-the-official-name-and-fame-thread/page-2?p=1204960#entry1204960

Edited by Bloodscythe
  • Like 11

I like that I can spend a year on various projects and at the end I have the satisfaction of seeing what my hard work accomplished, that there is indeed a tangible reward for how much effort I put into something.

Unlike a certain other game that you can spend all day in a que, afk raid, and look like the other millions of other players showing off their epeen size.

How much you put into the game is rewarded at the end.  It is not a 'gimme now' game for weak players or haloheads that just wanna pew pew everything around them or for those that think they should start off in gawd-mode.

What I like best about Wurm is that it weeds out the different players, the hard workers, that stick around and become members of the community or the 'gimme nows', that don't last more than a week ( or sometimes a few days )

• Like 3

Doing whatever you want.

Too many games try to force you into seeing all the 'cool features' they have or limit you in some way.

In Wurm, you set your own limits.

The freedom in building wherever you want is nice too. No set 'housing areas' or 'The forest is at XYZ town'.

The forest is wherever you build it.

And it all stays there...for years. The longevity and permanence of your actions really makes the world feel 'real'.

Also, I really love popcorn but don't always have something to watch while eating it. The forums fill that gap.

Edited by Outlaw
  • Like 5

I used to like the gameplay, but all the bugs and needlessly repetitive tasks (like dragging from crate to bsb etc) have ruined that.

I like my friends.

• Like 1

I"m not a casual gamer.  I can't play more than one at a time, and go all in when I do.  As such I usually wear a game out and grind it to the floor in hrs or days.  I like that you can't do that in wurm, as it will long out last you and wear you out before you wear it out.  I  like that it is NOT quest based and you can self guild custom play the game to the extent your imagination allows.  I like that you don't have to be 24/7 to the game and babysit actions , that you can pick it up or put it down as schedule allows and grow with it over time/years.  Although the game is the best thing i've ever found hands down, the game itself is only in fraction as fun until you include the community.  The players make the game much more rich and dimensional to enjoy both pvp and pve side.  This also reminds me of a thread made to celebrate players that have impacted your gaming in a positive way in wurm http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/117802-the-official-name-and-fame-thread/page-2?p=1204960#entry1204960

Is it okay to practice necromancy on that thread? I wouldn't mind giving a shoutout to some great Wurmians who helped me on my way. :)

• Like 2

needlessly repetitive tasks (

The whole game is a needlessly repetitive task.

• Like 1

Is it okay to practice necromancy on that thread? I wouldn't mind giving a shoutout to some great Wurmians who helped me on my way. :)

It never goes out of style to give thanks IMO , that post should live on as much as what do you look like and last post wins for all obvious reasons.

• Like 2

I like being able to troll people over and over in the forums and in the game.

• Like 1

I enjoy building something with people.

I enjoy making some good friends and then conspiring with them to kill any new face we see together.

I enjoy reading the forums, as they test my resolve to not become an armchair warrior with daily rants and remind me to never feed the trolls. 

I enjoy spending hours crafting/ improving and various other tasks to improve the things I own and possibly produce a coveted rare item to no avail, only to get a rare roll the first time I tend my farm.

I enjoy running from Dragons and the Kyklops.

and I enjoy seeing Gary's colossus when I travel by Glitter.

But mainly I'm here for the drama and good times.