Sign in to follow this  
Stormblade

Sextant for navigation

uses of the sextant include sighting the sun at solar noon or Polaris at night (in the Northern Hemisphere) to determine latitude. Sighting the height of a landmark can give a measure of distance off and, held horizontally, a sextant can measure angles between objects for a position on a chart.[1] A sextant can also be used to measure the lunar distance between the moon and another celestial object (such as a star or planet) in order to determine Greenwich Mean Time and hence longitude.

How about adding a sextant so that we can find our position while sailing.

I know we can use landmarks but those usually only work if you are familiar with the server, doesn't really help much when  you're going to make a deliver and you're not familiar with the server.  

'Find the nearest deed' well sometimes that wont' help as well, how many deeds aren't listed on the on the community map?

With a sextant ( limited to only being use while on a boat ) you could wait and appropriate time and much like a compass would say, you are around P12.

Anyways just a thought from having to make deliveries to unfamiliar servers and guessing at which bay or towards which mountain i should be heading to only to find out i gotta sail back 2 hours against the wind.

sextant_600.jpg

P.S. Length of time to find position could be based on the type of material the sextant was made of, Wood, Tin, Iron, Brass, Bronze, Gold, Silver.

• Like 4

Definitly +1, and don't have to be used just for sailing,i woud just made it that you can determine ingame coords everywhere on land using it. Would be great for those who demanded to know they location on map but it won't ruin concept of Wurm. And woul like to see it made just from bronze or brass, which would give some love to theese metals

You can do this to a point already with a dioptra. Alright you don't get grid references, but it's helpful when moving servers.

• Like 1

I like this idea - esp since I have a deed on Xanadu now and sailing times are still excruciatingly slow so +1 from me

be like me, a scout, /weather and look at the clouds, the direction the wind comes from they move, also can tell the speed

Edited by Mclovin

Speaking of weather, flags indicating the direction of wind.