Sign in to follow this  
MissWilc

Auctions for Charity

New Year's Update:  The 1000 silver that was currently being held has been sold at the rate of .9 euro/1 usd per silver. Thanks so much to those of you who bought from us and to those who referred other players to us.

I'll be submitting 947 USD (I'll add a donation to round up a bit) to John Hopkins and was planning to say the following:

"This donation is the result of a charity auction held in the game Wurm Online. It's in honor of players, friends, and loved ones who have been affected by cancer."

I'll also add that I'm just the person collecting the funding, and not actually donating all of that myself. When I get some kind of verification that the donation has been received, I'll add a picture to the thread as verification.

There are still items left that have not been auctioned. I'll talk to Xallo, WKM, and Alyeska and see if we can come up with a plan to get the rest of the items sold and donations submitted. 

Thanks again!

Wilca

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Recently, a series of events have led to a person quitting wurm and us ending up with a large amount of items. Due to the nature of the events, we have decided to auction the items and donate all of the proceeds to the following charity, to help support cancer research:https://secure.jhu.edu/form/fjhm. Involved in the sale are WilcaXalloAlyeska andWhykillme. We've decided that it would be easiest for us create a new forum account,Charity, and will post the auctions from that account. All four of us have access to this account so sales can be monitored and kept fair. Silver proceeds will later be sold to convert to euros. All euro amounts will go to Xallo's paypal and he will then make the donation. A screenshot of the donation will be taken.  If you would like more information and details about everything, please send any of us four people a message and we can explain.

The involved auctions and sales can be found here. CLICK ME!

Edited by MissWilc
update on the sale
  • Like 45

Glad to see the money go where it is needed :)

• Like 2

How did you make it so the items have no signature? And how can you tell without examining them?

How did you make it so the items have no signature? And how can you tell without examining them?

Awhile back item signatures got messed up with some bug, and I assume the party involved never re-examined their items.

You can see if something has no signature without replacing it if you place it on the ground, or in a container, and then examine it (anywhere outside your inventory). :)

Edited by Xallo

This is certainly a way to take an unfortunate situation and turn it into something good.  I applaud you all for doing this.

• Like 3

Man, looking at the current auctions, that is going to be a lot of money donated. Nice idea guys. 

• Like 1

Awhile back item signatures got messed up with some bug, and I assume the party involved never re-examined their items.

You can see if something has no signature without replacing it if you place it on the ground, or in a container, and then examine it (anywhere outside your inventory). :)

Ah ok. Just wondering, as I had a drake set that lost its signature and I 'wasted' it by examining it on my alt. (Didn't realize it had no sig until I put the new one on)

Really good idea, hopefully the community bids in ;)

• Like 1

A lovely way of turning around a shitty situation, good job mate

Something to think about.  If you win a bid, print out this OP and a copy of your transaction.  It MAY be tax deductable, if you already itemize your taxes. Depending on your tax bracket, that would effectively reduce your actual cost for the item by 20-30%.  Probably would require you to have made the purchase via real currency and not in silvers.  Something worth considering.

Edit:  I'm from USA, so other countries tax definitions are probably different.

Edited by Wurmhole
  • Like 2

I was annoyed by the number of threads that the auctions forum had been spammed with until reading this. :rolleyes:

I still don't see the reason behind so many threads instead of a mega thread, but good luck with the sales obviously.

Something to think about. If you win a bid, print out this OP and a copy of your transaction. It MAY be tax deductable, if you already itemize your taxes. Depending on your tax bracket, that would effectively reduce your actual cost for the item by 20-30%. Probably would require you to have made the purchase via real currency and not in silvers. Something worth considering.

Edit: I'm from USA, so other countries tax definitions are probably different.

Bump for a bump, and for a big thanks to everyone bidding!

• Like 1

Fantastic idea! Will be interested to see the final total!

This is a great idea, you guys are awesome for thinking of it.

Very interested, would you mind sending me a message with a bit more information on this?

I'll just post publicly on it, in case anyone else is not sure what I meant.  This is strictly based on USA tax laws and not sure how other countries handle it.

In USA, there are two main types of tax deductions: Standard and Itemized.  Generally, if you aren't paying a house mortgage, have a TON of medical expenses, run your own business or donate significantly to charity, you will be using the standard deduction, and is always the case if filing the 1040 EZ.

If your taxes are more complicated and you itemize your deductions, then you look for every last penny you can claim as a tax deduction: dependents, medical, mortgage, work expense, moving expense, retirement plans, etc, etc and Charity.  A purchase here will technically fall into a charitable donation, since you are in an auction for the purpose of funding a charity.  So, if you make a purchase, or win a bid, print out a copy of the auction details, paypal details, etc and also the OP, showing that it is going to a charity, then claim it on your taxes, when you file next year.

Check your own country local laws on charitable deductions for taxes and see.

who did we lose .. so sad to see anyone leave.. if you can't say here please pm me , thanks kindly :(