Sign in to follow this  
Proximo

Retaining Walls

Retaining-Walls-1--400x335.jpg

rustic-fence-cagwin-dorward_3779.jpg

A retaining wall is basically a wooden or stone or brick design.  Built vertically to hold back dirt and create usable area in otherwise difficult slopped places.

I feel Wurm Online has a need for such a thing.  Flat-raising and building slabs comes close, but leaves much to be desired visually in my opinion.  Retaining walls would be a PERFECT addition to the game imo.  There are so many uses for it, and we have no actual alternative.

What do you guys think? 

• Like 7

As long as it was merely for aesthetics and didn't altar the way in which dirt walls are constructed.

The medium sized stone wall fits quite well for the purpose, although a more 'complete' wooden fence would be nice. With planks all the way rather than just a couple.

Not sure how it would work practically with the current grid based terrain. Care to elaborate abit on how this would work more in detail?

/Andreas

• Like 2

closest idea I have had for this is to make bridges between the second floor and the top of the slope but the limiting factors are the need for a writ, the fact you cant plant on bridges and/or change the paving type as well as the walled sides limiting the length possible 

Tof7P1t.jpg

5u5S1S6.jpg

now we can place bridges side by side to create a level section of ground full length of a building as I understand it from some of the screenshots thats how people are making cathedral ceiling in some of them and if it was possible to build the bridges without the wall and somehow connect them so you didnt fall between them without it (unsure if thats actually what would happen) and have a dirt surface that is able to be planted on and paved as normal on both the bridge and roof (by roof I mean the floor level with the bridge) then you could simulate a retaining wall admittedly it would be 1 storey high minimum but it would still be a really cool way to use bridges and by using a building you can add stairways up to the top levels if you wanted

Edit.  pics were more for a vague idea of layout sorry I didnt have any wider ones to show 

Edited by Lordterrabyte
  • Like 1

With the current system this would not be possible. The slope of the ground would prohibit the ground from meeting the wall at the tile border at the top of the retaining wall. A special tile would have to be made on the tile that the retaining wall sets against. Perhaps make the tile behind the retaining wall part of the building process. This tile would have to have no slope as though it were a building to eliminate any chance that characters would slide down between the tile and the retaining wall yet meet all adjacent dirt tiles as though it were a dirt tile plus have all of the properties of a dirt tile. The amount of coding required for this would be huge. Then there are the bugs this would introduce plus allowing walls and or fences to be made upon the retaining wall. 

In all likelihood, with the current system, you would have animals puling carts or carrying people diving down when they crossed the border between a regular tile and this special tile as you currently do with bridges.

Edited by Sarcaticous

Not sure how it would work practically with the current grid based terrain. Care to elaborate abit on how this would work more in detail?

/Andreas

Thank you for your interest.  As a developer you know more than I what is and isn't possible.  But as the other poster pointed out, bridges seem to prove the game can support the visual aesthetic of dirt appearing to be right up against a vertical surface or structure.

All that would be required to make retaining walls a reality, is to allow us to drop dirt right up against a stone wall or fence so that it appears to be against it vertically.

I have seen terraformed areas where a tile has been dug down to the point of looking nearly vertical - perpendicular to the ground.  Could we not implement some sort of mechanism where you can build up dirt, vertically, adjacent to a retaining wall (stone wall or otherwise)?

I just see a lot of areas that could benefit from this. 

• Like 1

I have always been surprised this was not an inherent feature, considering the building of vertical retaining walls for terraforming has been around for thousands of years. The idea of dirt not piling up or "flowing" against a wall has always struck me as unnatural and extremely restrictive. I'm not a coder, but I would think removing that restriction would be the simplest way to implement this idea. It also seems natural to me that walls would be stackable, although capacity/strength vs. height limitations would likely be necessary (perhaps introducing a need for support braces or buttressing). It also would natural that a fence or hedge could be placed atop retaining walls. A very grand example of this type of building technique is the constuction on the back side of Neuschwanstein in Bavaria.

• Like 2

I have always been surprised this was not an inherent feature, considering the building of vertical retaining walls for terraforming has been around for thousands of years. The idea of dirt not piling up or "flowing" against a wall has always struck me as unnatural and extremely restrictive. I'm not a coder, but I would think removing that restriction would be the simplest way to implement this idea. It also seems natural to me that walls would be stackable, although capacity/strength vs. height limitations would likely be necessary (perhaps introducing a need for support braces or buttressing). It also would natural that a fence or hedge could be placed atop retaining walls. A very grand example of this type of building technique is the constuction on the back side of Neuschwanstein in Bavaria.

I think this is the way it could work right here. Allow the dirt to build up on the corner adjacent to the wall and then once it reaches the top of the wall, begin to flow over it.

Not sure if I want people piling dirt up next to my walls and jumping over into my deed and killing my horses.

Not sure if I want people piling dirt up next to my walls and jumping over into my deed and killing my horses.

Well, they can already do that so this change wouldn't affect that anyway.

I love the idea!  :D

A simpler way to do it, under current mechanics, would be to make the wall act as a container, or require X amount of dirt in the construction of the wall type.  B)

i think there are two ways of doing it, either providing a "crack" in the tile system covered by the wall, or using one tile for the actuall vertical wall, like it is today with max steep dirt walls only allow variations (and vertical) walls of different types instead of dirt. Either way, its not trivial...

• Like 3

I would like this. I hate the high dirt wall, it is impassible and ugly.

+1000

• Like 1

i think there are two ways of doing it, either providing a "crack" in the tile system covered by the wall, or using one tile for the actuall vertical wall, like it is today with max steep dirt walls only allow variations (and vertical) walls of different types instead of dirt. Either way, its not trivial...

Yes a full tile for the graphic would be best.

• Like 1