Sign in to follow this  
Slickshot

The Wurm Chronicles...Resurrected?

Wow these guys have some awesome Ideas I certainly hope the Devs are reading this. :wub:

Good job Slickshot on another interesting interview. B)

Wow these guys have some awesome Ideas I certainly hope the Devs are reading this. :wub:

Good job Slickshot on another interesting interview. B)

Aye.  I find it interesting how I posted this interview several weeks ago, but some people are still just now seeing it.  The wonders it does to basically "bump" a thread now and then. haha  Thank you, thank you!

It's been a while since I've conducted an interview, but alas the holiday season is nearing its end and so is the busy season IRL.  Basically this means more interviews!  My next guest needs no introduction, quite literally, and so with that I'll leave it up to you all - the community - to guess who's next on Chronicles.  I'll give you one hint:  this being is neither man, or woman, but a crustacean!!!

The next interview should drop in early January.  Merry Christmas all, and Happy New Year!

Shrimpiie, you are up!

Edited by Valdor

With another interview due to drop within a couple weeks, I'm curious of the opinion of the viewers:  do you enjoy mostly staff interviews with a player interview (ex:  Factional Fight) sprinkled in here and there, or would you like a more even split at 50/50?  Or maybe you'd like to see staff interviews only?  Let me know what you think!

• Like 1

I prefer the staff interviews for the insight into "behind the scenes" stuff.

But both are good.

• Like 3

I'd say 50-50. I just think there's so much to be gained from the player interviews.

• Like 2

Due to there being not that many staff, maybe a 2 player to one staff member ratio, so we don't cycle through the staff members too soon. Also, more frequent interviews would be nice :) I've been patiently waiting for another interview!

37 minutes ago, Verotika said:

Due to there being not that many staff, maybe a 2 player to one staff member ratio, so we don't cycle through the staff members too soon. Also, more frequent interviews would be nice :) I've been patiently waiting for another interview!

I'm going to try to do them more frequently, I've just been busy as of late due to real life issues.  Perhaps I'll look into doing a 50/50 split.  The idea overall would be to release 1-2 interviews per month, but we'll see how that goes.

• Like 1

Edition 4 of the Wurm Chronicles will be posted January 16th, 2016...in other words; this Saturday!!!

Small preview:

Shrimpiie: Woof, that is certainly flattering but I wouldn’t consider myself a top LeatherWorker really! As for it always being an interest, mostly yeah. When I began Wurm I wanted to be a ship builder, so I fashioned a bunch of low quality nooblet parts and had a friend begin the hull of a Corbita for me. You try building a Corbita with only 15 Shipbuilding and only succeeding 1/30 attaching actions… A local friend went out around that time and slew about 40 unicorns in the area for FightSkill, I went out, picked all the corpses up in my nooblet small cart and butchered them for leather, then I started working with it to make armor and such and have been hooked ever since.

Slickshot:  As a matter of fact I have attempted to build a Corbita with approximately 15 shipbuilding.  Needless to say it’s a ridiculous task and I gave up on it quickly.  Can you tell us a few of your fondest memories so far from Wurm Online?

Edited by Slickshot
  • Like 2

Interview with

GM & LCM,

Shrimpiie!

It’s been awhile everyone, but I’m happy to welcome you back to The Wurm Chronicles!  Wurm’s favorite sea crustacean is with us this wave, and he’s ready to make a splash!  Alright, alright, I’ll stop it with the salty puns.  Let's begin!

Slickshot:  Other than the ocean, where do you reside Shrimp?

Shrimpiie:  Well, in-game-wise I reside on my deed Blackmoor up on the Independence server. Real life though? Right up here in Portland, Oregon.

Slickshot:  Have you always called Portland home?

Shrimpiie:  Portland, Oregon indeed I have called home all my life. As for in-game I’ve lived several places such as Exodus and Chaos in addition to my current residency.

Slickshot:  What kind of work do you do?  You don’t work with seafood by chance, do you?

Shrimpiie:  I work at <classified classified classified>, it really is fun work with <classified classified>. Though no, it certainly does not involve seafood, I really don’t like it....

Slickshot:  You’re obviously a very open guy, although I’m not surprised at your distaste for seafood because seafood is, of course, disgusting.  How many years have you been swimming in this life?

Shrimpiie:  Now that would ruin the suspense wouldn’t it!

Slickshot:  What a bugger you are!  Fine we’ll move along...If anyone knows you they know you obviously spend a lot of time within this community, whether that’s playing the game itself, attending to support tickets, or hanging around the forums.  Would you say Wurm is your main hobby and favorite video game, or do you have others?

Shrimpiie:  Definitely Wurm is my main hobby and favorite game. Many other games have threatened to pull me from Wurm over the years, and many pull me away for a month or so, but I always tend to come right back to Wurm. I do enjoy TF2, the Fallout series, and the Elder Scrolls series which I bounce between while playing Wurm.

Slickshot:  Yes the Elder Scrolls are magnificent!  I just recently started playing Fallout 4, so that’s been a fun experience.  In the end, however, Wurm always seems to have that niche appeal to it, and you can definitely spot the veterans based on how they take vacations but always return for more!  Speaking of a history with Wurm, let’s switch gears and talk about your tenure so far as a valued player.  When did you first join Wurm Online?

Shrimpiie:  I began my Wurmian journey in Feb. 2012.

Slickshot:  And how did you find out about this little niche game?

Shrimpiie:  I had a good friend that told me to give it a try. I gave it a shot and was hooked but unfortunately my friend didn’t stick and thus I ended up with his account Omega.

Slickshot:  That’s a bummer.  Thankfully the community is full of friendly people to neighbor up to.  Which do you prefer, pvp or pve?

Shrimpiie:  I would say I prefer PvE over PvP simply to avoid the immense drama. That isn’t to say I don’t enjoy my time in PvP, just that if I had to pick one it’d be the former rather than the latter.

Slickshot:  Ah, we’re cut from the same cloth.  

Most of us who know you, know that you’re one of the top leather workers in the game.  Not to build your ego too drastically, but in my experience and opinion you’re the best leather worker in the land.  Have you always had an interest in that path in Wurm, or have you had other professions along the way?

Shrimpiie:  Woof, that is certainly flattering but I wouldn’t consider myself a top LeatherWorker really! As for it always being an interest, mostly yeah. When I began Wurm I wanted to be a ship builder, so I fashioned a bunch of low quality nooblet parts and had a friend begin the hull of a Corbita for me. You try building a Corbita with only 15 Shipbuilding and only succeeding 1/30 attaching actions… A local friend went out around that time and slew about 40 unicorns in the area for Fight Skill, I went out, picked all the corpses up in my nooblet small cart and butchered them for leather, then I started working with it to make armor and such and have been hooked ever since.

Slickshot:  As a matter of fact I have attempted to build a Corbita with approximately 15 shipbuilding.  Needless to say it’s a ridiculous task and I gave up on it quickly.  Can you tell us a few of your fondest memories so far from Wurm Online?

Shrimpiie:  Hm, getting my butt kicked to 0%(not dead) health by a champion unicorn was certainly an interesting experience… But as for truly fond memories, my very first Impalong I attended back in 2012, Willow’s last Impalong she hosted, was truly an amazing experience especially for a young nooblet like myself.

Slickshot:  It’s nice to see players having such treasured moments soon after coming through the portal.  It really helps keep people involved in the community for years to come.  What about personal achievements in-game?  Are there any you are especially proud of?  No judgment here, I swear.

Shrimpiie:  Do soon-to-be achievements count? If so then I would have to go with my deed here on Independence named Blackmoor. I dropped it down on a very mountainous rock face, and will be surface-mining ~1,100 tiles down ~200-300 dirt height. This is all before building the deed on top of course. I will definitely have pictures by dozens don’t worry!

Slickshot:  Oh yes, I remember you telling me about that undertaking on Teamspeak!  That’s a massive load of work ahead of you, good luck on that.

We’re going to drop into a topic here that is a bit of a tangle due to your varying amount of experience in several areas of volunteer staff.  Currently you’re a GM and the LCM, correct?

Shrimpiie:  Indeed, I am GM Prawn and the LCM to the CM Team.

Slickshot:  Before we get into any details on that specifically let's back up just a bit.  When I first invited you to the Chronicles for an interview you were the Lead Forum Moderator.  Before that position you were a Board Moderator.  Can you tell us where you began your resume with Wurm Online as a volunteer staff member?

Shrimpiie:  You already said it actually! Board Moderator was my first role in staff entirely!

Slickshot:  Hah, imagine that.  I thought you would have been a CA at some point early on.  Give us a little history on the other positions you held, if you would please.

Shrimpiie:  I applied and got the position of Board Moderator in January 2014 after having my application denied for CA a few months prior. About March 2014 I applied again for CA and got it. In about June 2014 the position of LFM came available and I figured I’d give it a shot, and got in. About a week later I was promoted to CM in-game also. About October 2015 I was given GMiT and by November 2015 I was a full GM. In late November the position of LCM opened up and so I applied for that, leaving LFM to Solmark. So in order: BM, CA, LFM, CM, GM, LCM.

Slickshot:  That’s quite the laundry list in such a short period of time!  Makes me wonder if you have any skeletons in your closet...but we’ll save that for another discussion.  So if you had to pick a position that was your favorite, which would it be?

Shrimpiie:  It would definitely be a toss-up between LFM and GM, as both were/are just incredible experiences.

Slickshot:  Ah, unfortunate that you left the LFM position then!  

Well it’s no secret that people are drawn to conflict, whether it be good or bad; that’s just how entertainment works.  Are there any memorable conflicts or issues you’ve had to intervene in?

Shrimpiie:  The nasty ones tend to always be PvP oriented. Specifics I’ll leave out but a look through at any thread regarding PvP changes always tends to get personal.

Slickshot:  Aww, no juicy details?  I feel jipped!  

Coming full circle to the beginning here, you confirmed being a GM and LCM.  The GM’s, and occasionally the CM’s, seem to catch flack from players frequently when it comes to support-ticket rulings involving conflict amongst players.  Do you feel that your team handles this kind of tension well?

Shrimpiie:  It is always difficult to handle tickets where both sides are adamantly stuck on their point of view as either way someone is going to get really pissed off. The same applies to the forums. As I told the FM Team many times, damned if you do, damned if you don’t. What I’ve found over my tenure of taking tickets and dealing with forum issues is that people that don’t get their way on issues get extremely upset, which I understand, but what they need to think of is that they are not privy to all the information, we are. A ruling may look entirely wrong and even based on some weak connection between the staff member and the case, but if that someone was to look at all the information that we look at when judging a case, they would understand why we made said judgement.

Slickshot:  Having all the information certainly helps, but unfortunately as players we are also faced with the “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” scenario.  Sometimes you just can’t win it seems, but that’s a whole debate not worth getting into.  Moving forward!

We’ve had Enki on the Chronicles, and he’s a champ in his own right without a doubt.  He’s done a very good job at being a thorough investigator and mediator ever since he took over the Head GM slot quite a while back.  Here’s what I really want to know...What’s it like on the other side of the looking glass when you’re actually working with the man?  Don’t worry, any disparaging remarks will remain a secret between us. ;)

Shrimpiie:  He drives us hard with little pay, little sleep, and lots of beatings. Just kidding of course! I’m not usually one to be able to convey with words what my thoughts are on someone, so I’ll try my best to say that he is full of wisdom, and is the man everyone goes to for an opinion on matters. I certainly went to him a lot during my entire tenure as LFM. I’ve worked with him quite close over the past year and a half and he has always shown terrific judgement in direction of moderation.

Slickshot:  That sounds pretty accurate.  He always seems to serve with equality in mind, even if sometimes equality doesn’t feel like justice.  Nevertheless, he does a fantastic job and we all hope you will as well.  

Do you plan to continue your volunteer services into the distant future if able?

Shrimpiie:  Entirely.

Slickshot:  That’s wonderful to hear, as we’ve lost quite a few volunteer staff this past year.  Speaking of the future, I’ve seen quite a few doomsayers proclaiming the demise of Wurm Online at the hands of Wurm Unlimited.  Personally I don’t find myself concerned, and feel this is merely a repeat of any other significant changes we’ve undergone as a community in the past where we emerged strong and unwavering.  What is your opinion on the fate of Wurm Online?

Shrimpiie:  The ultimate fate of WurmOnline? That is a topic for an entire discussion in itself really. I would have to say I really can’t envision Wurm having a massive player-base as that just isn’t how it’s setup to be, and changing it to being able to sustain a larger player-base I feel could simply do more harm than good. I feel that WurmUnlimited has become more of a direct competition for WurmOnline rather than a portal into WurmOnline, and have seen a large amount of players peter off to WU but never return to WO… WU is great in that it outsources development of the game, bug fixes, new additions that can simply be packed into any update of WO. I really do hope that with so many corrections of late that it looks better to outsiders who are contemplating giving WO a shot.

Slickshot:  Yeah, that’s definitely been a bit of an issue as of late with losing some of the player base, but as you said the outsourcing and bug fixing opportunities have been nice.  Hopefully we’ll find a nice balance and start bringing in more fresh players from WU over to WO.  Are you satisfied with the immense amount of work and content the development team have been pumping out so far this season and throughout the year?

Shrimpiie:  Indeed, there have been some much needed additions, and of course everyone is always up for bug fixing. Personally, I like to see 20 bugs fixed rather than a few large additions in game content, it just feels better really.

Slickshot:  Aye.  Rolf and Co. have certainly done well to craft the continued evolution of Wurm Online over the years, and this year has been no exception.  We’ve had so many updates and changes, from bridge implementation early in the year, to much needed bug slaying over the summer, to plotting sailing courses now in the late fall-early winter season, with plenty of cosmetic features and texture updates trickled in throughout.  Not to mention a new permissions system which is shiny and fantastic!  If you had to pick one feature or project you enjoyed the most in the past 12 months, what would it be?

Shrimpiie:  I would have to go with bridges, with the permissions update being a very close second. Permissions system in second place because I’m a bit old fashioned and still was entirely comfortable with how things were setup prior, just that now it makes things a bit easier. The bridges are a very long awaited feature to WurmOnline, and they give a whole new dynamic to deed construction.

Slickshot:  I couldn’t agree more myself.  The amount of creativity from the player-base after the release of bridges has skyrocketed.  Bravo Wurmians, bravo!  

If you had the opportunity to put a suggestion or idea into effect and help create it, whether it be yours or someone else’s, what would it be?

Shrimpiie:  That is quite a difficult question as there is just so many different great ideas to choose from. I would have to go with really a mass of PvP oriented fixes and tweaks to balance out mechanics and the like. Too many bugs are exploited to gain advantages when they are discovered, instead of being good folks and turning them in on the spot.

Slickshot:  I’ve personally never delved too much into the realm of PvP so I can’t relate to the frustrations, but I’m sure it’s a big pain in the butt and many people would share your enthusiasm for such fixes.  

We’ve just entered a new year in life and in Wurm, which is a great reason in itself to rejoice and be thankful.  With a new year comes more opportunities to grow, evolve and change.  What hopes do you have for the future of this magnificent game and the loyal community behind it, and are you excited for what’s to come?

Shrimpiie:  I think that if the 2015 year is any indications, then the future of Wurm will be full of changes. I personally am not a fan of change, but change must happen in some areas and that I can deal with.

Slickshot:  Without change we wouldn’t have come as far as we have in Wurm though, so it’s worth being thankful for, for sure.  Thank you so much for your time today Shrimp.  It has been an honor.  I hope I speak for all of us when I say we look forward to your continued volunteer work and camaraderie for the weeks and months to come.  As per tradition, close us out with a favorite quote my friend.

Shrimpiie:  [17:34:31] <Dream_Master> wait... horses provide hide?

Edited by Slickshot
  • Like 5

Shrimpiie:  I work at <classified classified classified>, it really is fun work with <classified classified>. Though no, it certainly does not involve seafood, I really don’t like it....

Slickshot:  You’re obviously a very open guy

:D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LorenaMontana said:

Slickshot:  You’re obviously a very open guy

:D

I know right? Lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shrimpiie said:

I would tell you, but then I'd have to kill you ;)

You couldn't kill a fly ;)

I've recently added an index to the original post to make it easier to find the interviews in this thread.  So if you're just seeing this thread for the first time and would like to catch up on the interviews, please head to the front page to find the clickable links! :)

• Like 1

On Saturday, January 16, 2016 at 4:35 PM, Shrimpiie said:

I would tell you, but then I'd have to kill you ;)

Well, the suspense is killing me to the point that I am going to take you up on the offer, Shrimpiie. Go ahead, tell us and then you can kill us all.

24 minutes ago, Valdor said:

Well, the suspense is killing me to the point that I am going to take you up on the offer, Shrimpiie. Go ahead, tell us and then you can kill us all.

He's killin us slowly.

Edition 5 of the Wurm Chronicles interview will be released next Saturday, January 30th.  Here's a sneak peek:

Slickshot:  Wurm definitely has that grind wall that makes it hard for a casual gamer to accomplish many goals, however it works out well when you multitask, as you’ve said, between other games and chores, etc.  Speaking of other games you play what are some of the more prominant ones?

Milosanx:  I jump around a lot from game to game. I revisit mmo’s that I’ve played before, any games that are survival or simulator like or open world sandboxes. For example, at the moment I’m playing alongside Wurm - Swtor, Elite: Dangerous, The Long Dark, and thinking of playing some more ARK again. Actually, I need to play some more Fallout 4 as well :)

auction_timer_E1454169629.gif

Edited by Slickshot
Added countdown timer.
  • Like 1

Interview with

Wurmian,

Milosanx!

Welcome once again everyone to the Wurm Chronicles!  Based on some of the suggestions recently I’ve decided to mix things up a bit with how the Chronicles work.  Initially the segment was geared towards staff interviews with just a sprinkling of player interviews.  In favor of bringing more light and familiarity to players as well I’ve decided to split the interviews 50/50:  half of the interviews will be staff guests, and the other half will be player guests!  Now that we have that bit out of the way, without further delay let me welcome veteran player and videomaker Milosanx!

Slickshot:  Welcome to the 5th edition of the Wurm Chronicles Milo.  I’m glad to have you here.

Milosanx:  Hey Slick, thanks for having me. It’s a pretty cool idea you have going here, glad to be a part of it.

Slickshot:  I’m happy you think so.  Let’s begin shall we?

Milosanx:  Let's do this!

Slickshot:  Wooo, enthusiasm!  Okay let’s start.  How old are you Milo?

Milosanx:  I am 42 this year, going on 18. I guess like all gamers, we are children at heart. A lot of people think I’m a lot younger than this, which is quite welcoming :)

Slickshot:  Yeah I would never have guessed you were going on 42!  The internet definitely allows a veil of secrecy.  Speaking of secrets, let’s spill another; where are you from?

Milosanx:  I’m from Sydney, Australia,  been living here since about ‘97. I grew up about 830km north of Sydney, a place called Byron Bay. If any Wurmians have gone backpacking in Australia, they’d definitely know the area. Everyone goes through Byron.

Slickshot:  Well I can say - unfortunately I might add - that I have never been to Australia.  Perhaps some day I’ll be fortunate enough to go.  So what kind of work do you do?

Milosanx:  At the moment I have a job I thought would be easy of pie, but it’s a lot harder that I had ever expected. My Title “Stay at home Dad”.

Slickshot:  All I read right there was “Wurm at home Dad.”

Milosanx:  (Haha), It’s funny. One of the main reasons I play wurm is the fact you can get up and leave the game anytime you need too. There’s no “Oh I’m raiding at the moment, locked to a 10 man and this boss fight takes 15 mins. As I’ve gotten older and presented with more family responsibilities, I’ve shied away from games I can’t dedicate to specific chunks of time to. One of the reasons I don’t go to Chaos much, even though I would love to spend hours running around the countryside PvPing. Also, I can walk by the computer on wurm, hit mine/dig/make bricks/pray, any of these in passing and still do Kids stuff or other Life tasks as the day goes by.

Slickshot:  I don’t have children myself, but I can relate.  I - like many players I’m sure - choose the route of [keybind], [queue], Netflix.  And I must say it has done me well so far!

Milosanx:  Yeah, I play other games alongside Wurm, either on the main pc or I load up a priest on my laptop. I find priests great to have while playing other games at the same time. As a lot of people know I’m not the most efficient wurm player, so hardcore grinding sessions are few and far between. I regen favor, pray, make yoyos, all this while getting a more exciting gameplay fix from other games. Don’t get me wrong wurm is still my main game, I just need a different pace here and there. But all in all the things I like to do in wurm like build, dig, tunnel, all work great for an afker like myself.

Slickshot:  Wurm definitely has that grind wall that makes it hard for a casual gamer to accomplish many goals, however it works out well when you multitask, as you’ve said, between other games and chores, etc.  Speaking of other games you play what are some of the more predominant ones?

Milosanx:  I jump around a lot from game to game. I revisit mmo’s that I’ve played before, any games that are survival or simulator like or open world sandboxes. For example, at the moment I’m playing alongside Wurm - Swtor, Elite: Dangerous, The Long Dark, and thinking of playing some more ARK again. Actually, I need to play some more Fallout 4 as well :)

Slickshot:  You have quite the library building up, and I know how tedious that can be at times.  I have several games on the Xbox One to play, as well as Wurm I need to get back into.  It’s actually great that you mentioned Ark and Fallout 4, as I recently started playing both and can’t decide if I should jump back into Wurm after my hiatus or continue playing those games.  Man, choosing among video games is tough work!  Well, getting back to Wurm, would you mind telling me when you first started playing this game?

Milosanx:  It’s a funny story really. My Brother had been playing wurm 2 years before I finally started playing. He had shown me the game and I always said “man, I can’t handle these graphics, this is really ugly”. I think I actually started just before multistory came out, so perhaps it was October of that year. I still kick myself for being so superficial. I could have had an extra 2 years of play. My brother still gives me crap about it, even though I overtook him in skill a very long time ago and also added another 4 or so skilled characters to the list.

Slickshot:  So you’ve been around for a few years, and have achieved quite a few things in that amount of time.  I’ve only ever bothered to level up one character, so shame on me.  What is your highest skill or skill you are most proud of?

Milosanx:  Because I really don’t grind very much, There aren’t many skill that I’ve really set out to push at all. If there were skills that I sat and grinded out, I’d probably announce those skills. To be honest, I don’t get caught up in the skill business. I’d rather just do things and if it’s something I’m enjoying doing and I get the skill that’s great.

All my higher skills are non crafting skills and more building related. I’m the worst crafter in wurm. Although, I am on the way to be happy with my vyn priest skills, even though casting RNG angers me to no end. I guess when it all comes down to it I play wurm to relax, sitting at the forge for hours doesn’t do it for me, but on the other hand some people find it to be the best part of the game. I guess I look at wurm more in what and where I can go opposed to having the best skills. Can I make a deed on that mountain peak?  Can I make a road along that ridge nobody has been before?  What’s on the top of that mountain? I’ll make a tunnel up it. Just to say that I did it.

The joke among the guys is that I have many WIP’s (works-in-progress) I’m always chopping and changing projects and rarely finishing the other :P It all comes back to -If I'm not enjoying it, don’t do it.

Slickshot:  For casual Wurmians that seems the best way to go.  I’ve had countless villagers burn themselves out grinding up various skills because they want to make money in-game.  There are, however, the occasional few who stick around because of the atmosphere of the game and the community.  I’m much like you in the respect that I flip-flop between projects from week to week, so more power to ya.  And speaking of works in progress, do you have any to share?

Milosanx:  Currently, I’m just working on the mountain deed. There’s always lots to do and by looking at it over the years, it looks like I really haven’t gotten far with it. I just do too many projects so things are all spread out. Been trying to cut back a bit on the wurm addiction of late.

There’s not much of an incentive to keeping many characters prem’d, I think we would see more people prem’ing up characters if there were better incentives to do so and after seeing the loyalty program fizzle and lackluster xmas presents, I’ve cut back on characters. With so many games out there these days, it’s not enough to say “I love a game and I'll pay whatever to play it”. So many companies give more and more incentive to get players to play their game, Codeclub should too.

Anyway, cutting back a bit and trying to concentrate on less characters and deeds. It’s a hard choice, but I’m giving it a go. At the moment with school holidays and the xmas period it’s even hard to make videos.

Slickshot:  Yeah I’ve seen a lot of complaints over the past year or two about the lackluster Christmas gifts and rewards program.  Personally I don’t mind the gifts and the rewards, as I play the game for the atmosphere, but that’s just me.  On another note I’m curious which mountain area you live in.  You play on Independence right?

Milosanx:  My main deed is Twin Angel Peaks in the SE of Inde. It’s on the community map. The terrain is pretty rugged which I like. I have other coastal deeds, but love mountains for the challenge. I guess my only gripe I have is the time it takes to get there, It’s pretty much the furthest from water you can get in all directions. It’s a decision I’ve made to live there so I shouldn’t complain. :P

In relation to gifts, I know it’s a little thing and If I wanted gifts in wurm I’d go and buy a supreme item from somewhere. It’s not really about having the item. It’s more about the dev respecting we pay good money for wurm premium, especially if we have many accounts. I can still play the game with one account, but for Rolf sake and the game, it doesn’t take much to incentivize just a little to want to prem more. Wurm needs to at least make an effort to move with the times a little. In the end I can still play and If I really wanted to I could prem many characters.

Sometimes I look at decisions and think, really? Example; loyalty program and xmas gifts are too related to me playing more characters. I’m a bit jaded by both, so now wurm doesn’t get that money. Rolf says the loyalty program isn't something we are entitled to. But, in the end he loses money over these decisions. In short, look at how other games in the era run.  I’m not saying nerf mechanics, but at least find some more incentives to keep players here and not in other games. One day, someone is going to make wurm 2.0. Wurm now is a rare gem. One day it will have competition in its niche genre.

Anyway, wurm is still my favorite game of all time and it probably is for many players. I’m just concerned and I don’t complain much, but some things will get me going.

Slickshot:  I can tell that it gets you going. (haha)  However, before we end up making this into a full-blown session about Rolf and gifts, let’s move back to your deed for a moment.  Do you have any notable neighbors or allies who have helped you out along the way?  Anyone you’d call a friend in Wurm Online?

Milosanx:  In my travels I’ve met so many people and with doing the videos even more. I wish I could mention everyone, but that would be a huge list. OK...I’ll start with close friends and move outwards. Apart from Dazt (brother) there’s Garit and Fazz, great guys and we do the Xanadu business together. Olim who plays for a short time here and there. Ulvirala who lives on Flamgra’in where I first started playing and Emoo. Basically all these people I know well enough that they are on our vent server time to time. There are lot of others I know, but haven’t joined the vent server of course. Brandonsf, Cecci, Quiglen  and all the Xanadu alliance members. As for close neighbors, Ronal, Archaed, Ceno, Harth and Lordlouis. All great neighbors and very helpful. A little further away, Cerberus, Blahsonson. There are so many people I know through the video, you know who you are all awesome people. Also, Red and Rosie plus all the MR members, a great community that work together so well. I’d also like to mention Dakota who passed away a couple of years ago, who was one of my favorite Wurmians. I know it sounds arrogant, but I can’t mention everyone. Oh Delone and Gypsy who sadly stopped playing after that permissions incident a while back. The same thing that happened to Aeris at Silent Hill. Lastly, The Inde freedom chat, my favorite freedom chat and server...I should stop there. :P 

Slickshot:  For goodness sake mate, you didn’t win an award or anything.  The Wurm Chronicles isn’t that prestigious!  Ha, jokes aside it’s nice to see you’ve made good friends and lasting bonds, and I think it speaks true to the nature of those of us who have been around for quite some time and who keep coming back year after year.

As for the videos you mentioned that’s something I wanted to go into detail on.  Can you share more about that process?

Milosanx:  There’s no real process, I don’t really put that much effort into them really, not like some of the youtubers out there. Ideally, I like to just hit record and hopefully just capture the event I’m at or the topic I’m talking about. Sometimes there are edits if I say something really crap, but I try to keep it natural. Most of the time its record, but video and audio at the same time. Occasionally, I do a voice-over depending if the vocals were too boring or there are too many gaps in the monologue.

It is Wurm, so it’s never that action packed, but I know the wurm crowd just like watching things while grinding skills and the video is related to what they are doing game wise, so they are usually pretty happy. Sometimes I get people saying the video sucks, but I get a lot of people pretty happy with what I do. I’m not out there to please really, just doin what I do.

I’ve never been one to do all the beginner tutorials either, so it reduces things to make videos on, but when I come up with something or someone contacts me to do something I’ll do a video. Sometimes it’s not even something special. It’s maybe just a deed update, it’s something to watch and my deed area is pretty interesting I think. Seeing progress of any kind is enjoyable watching, imo.

I use a avermedia c875 portable to record. This means no taxing on the system, like fraps say. Sony Vegas for editing and I just use Vegas for the rendering too. Australian uploading is pretty slow, so that takes the longest time. We are moving soon so fibre is on the way!

Slickshot:  I’d say you have a decent amount of experience under your belt, judging by the amount of videos you’ve uploaded on youtube.  I remember asking you to help me do a project akin to Wurm Wurld Nuws a while back, and you turned me down.  Any chance I can interest you to help me revive that in some form?

Milosanx:  I really would like to but as you can see with lining up doing this interview between the both of us, it is not easy at all. Life is also a lot busier for me at the moment. We can perhaps have another chat about it later. :) 

Slickshot:  I won’t take it as an insult. (haha)  Well let’s talk about your future in Wurm, and the future of the game itself.  You’ve mentioned that you slowed down on playing a bit and stopped prem’ing so many characters; does this mean you intend to eventually leave Wurm or will you be around for as long as you are able?

Milosanx:  I don’t think I'll leave wurm. I am always looking for a wurm 2.0 to play but nothing comes close. Even with games like ARK and Life is Feudal, they still don’t compare for me Don’t get me wrong, I’ve done 700 hrs plus of ARK and it’s a great game, but it is still missing many thing that I like in a game.

Slickshot:  But Wurm will always kind of be home, yeah?

Milosanx:  Well, it’s the people as well, not just the game. The people add the extra dimension to the game. Year’s ago I played WoW just for the people and the people kept me there longer that the game did. I feel that about wurm when it comes to the people I've met here.

Slickshot:  Yeah I can relate to that.  Wurm is great because of the total atmosphere of the community and the game style.  Are you happy with the direction Wurm has been traveling in the past year, updates and content wise?

Milosanx:  I think so. Everyone always wants more content and the faster it comes the better. I think there has been lots of changes lately, but we just have to remember that it’s a small team and things take time. We forget that sometimes. I’m hoping we see more WU mods added, it’s a great way to add more content fast. In this day and age, Rolf and the team needs to look hard at what is going to get people and keep people here.

Slickshot:  Alright, so you’re more of a patient player.  Would you say you appreciate the interaction between the development team and the community?  It is definitely unlike most other games I’ve played personally.

Milosanx:  I think they are getting better at it, but I wouldn't same they are on par with lots of new games. Newer games really do listen to their community a lot. There are games out there that develop right along side community ideas. But let's say they are getting better.

Slickshot:  Progress is heading in the right direction.  What would you say was your favorite edition to Wurm this past year?

Milosanx:  Hmm...It’s probably longer than a year, but i’d say the crafting menu. The bug fixes are very important too. Too many to pick from really. I’ve enjoyed everything they have added lately.

Slickshot:  Ah, a happy customer.  That is fantastic!  Did you see the recent news about the Devs working on building in the mines?

Milosanx:  Oh yes. Very excited about that. I’m a big tunnel and mine builder. My whole deed has a tunnel network underneath it. More building, more projects. Let see how long that takes to get here.

Slickshot:  Take a guess at how long you think it’ll take?  I’m wagering at the earliest it’ll be out next winter.

Milosanx:  Underground space, might be a big job. I’d assume it would take as long as multistory took?

Slickshot:  So a few years you’d say?

Milosanx:  Haha, well I hope not.

Slickshot:  You and me both brother.  Well are there any suggestions you’d give to the Devs as far as projects you’d like to see worked on?

Milosanx:  I’d like to see Speed per QL for ships. But mainly I’d like to see some more new player attraction improvements. Perhaps a combat rework or even engine change. Oh I’d like to see the trees textures updated. Plus more incentive to premium more characters. :)

Slickshot:  Those are valid suggestions, and I especially agree with the ship movement changes and tree textures.  I never minded the combat system much, and that might be because I’m daft, but yeah.  So with premium incentives, would you rather have more incentives to premium more characters or be able to play more characters at a premium level while only paying for one account, as in most mmo’s?

Milosanx:  I don’t mind the combat either, It’s not for me. It’s for new players and the growth of the game.  I wouldn’t expect Rolf to give us many characters on the same account, he’d make no money that way.

Slickshot:  But do you think that would keep more people playing longer and keeping their premium up consistently?

Milosanx:  With more incentive at least people would be more willing too, I know I would.

Slickshot:  Perhaps we’ll find out sooner rather than later.  Since the decline in player population due to the release of Wurm Unlimited, I’ve seen many players claim that “Wurm is dead.”  How do you feel about that claim?

Milosanx:  Well, the forums are renowned for stating “The end of the world is coming”. I shrug it off, sometimes I don’t even read the forums. I find it more relaxing to stay away. :P

Slickshot:  You got that right.  There are plenty of doomsayers on the forums, but Wurm has lasted this long so I think they’re highly misguided in most cases.  Do you foresee Wurm Online sticking around for several more years?

Milosanx:  Oh for sure. Especially if Rolf makes some really good changes and if he is still making money :)

Slickshot:  And you’re gonna stick around and continue making entertaining videos, yeah?  

Milosanx:  Yup. Just depends on the time I have for making videos. With moving and school out at the moment it’s really hard. We’ll get back to it though. Like right now, everyone is up for the morning and I’ll be afk here and there for the day.

Slickshot:  Those kids will run you ragged mate.  Good luck on that frontier!  Hey it’s been great having you on the Chronicles, and hopefully we’ll have you back some time in the future.  Perhaps we’ll even get around to collaborating on bringing back the Wurm Wurld Nuws. ;)  Who knows, but for now let’s call it a day.  Mind closing us out with a favorite quote?

Milosanx:  “Only in wurm.”  Cheers, thanks for having me. It’s been great talking to you, Slick.  :)

Slickshot:  I’m gonna do something I never do, which is halt this for a moment.  I call ###### on that quote! (haha)

Milosanx:  No, I’m serious. Look at all the funny world defying things that happen here. From fountains in pans, sharpening pelts, high QL priest casting 0 coc, dragging ships up buildings. I’m sure you can come up with even a lot more than that. If I think for a minute I can add to this. Oh things that weigh unrealistic weights. Or did you want a real life quote?

Slickshot:  I could let you slide with that measly little quote…however I’m not gonna do that.  Give us something hearty to digest!

Milosanx:  I’m not great with quotes at all. But one I use sometimes is “It is what it is”. Things are as they are unless you change them and even if you can’t change them then things are as they are anyway. :)

Slickshot:  Bah, I guess that will have to do.  Until next time...

Edited by Slickshot
  • Like 3

Great to see a player sharing what they love about the game too, and a fellow Aussie to boot!

• Like 1

Always got time for Milo and his stories/vids, he's a great guy and this was a great episode :)

• Like 2