Sign in to follow this  
Cornchips

Remove Archery/Casting debuff when wearing armor

Problem is, it's just an annoyance. Nothing more. It doesn't balance leather against plate. Absolutely nobody is wearing leather because of this debuff. If they are, then they're dumb. It's just causing people to take their armor off, shoot, then put armor back on. It's simply annoying. If you want to make leather armor actually worth something, then buff it relative to plate. Don't rely on stupid gimmicks

I started post time ago about that, nothing happens. Simply penalty for cast and archery should much harder for plate and there should by timer on equip parts.

wurm is joke in casting spells and archery vs knights. Try to see what does do wurm mage vs bear without sword

Edited by ftoz

I started post time ago about that, nothing happens. Simply penalty for cast and archery should much harder for plate and there should by timer on equip parts.

wurm is joke in casting spells and archery vs knights. Try to see what does do wurm mage vs bear without sword

But that still wont make people swap out of plate.

You have to wear heavy armor to be able to survive in combat.

Being an archer or a mage is not possible with wurms combat system.

Archery only works in PvE because you can stay out of range on horses and animals cant block, while killing mobs with just magic really isn't possible.

y dont need someone swap out of plate. Need only more balace between archery and knights. If someone want be archer, so light armour should do more bonus to lead real use. Archer should be strong on long distance weak in short. No tons of universal soldiers.

Well I want universal soldiers thank you very much

• Like 1

Like it's obvious you haven't experienced this mechanic in pvp usage or any sort of combat scenario, and are just trying to wrap it around what sounds good to you in some little fantasy make believe realm that you think wurm should be.

All of these ideas of 'classes in pvp' don't work for wurm, because everyone can be anything all at once, actually think of the debuff, that's 30%, and what it does for the game? Absolutely nothing and it's an annoyance. People from all sides agree that it should be removed, this isn't some biased let's get an edge suggestion.

Imagine if there was an update where you had to perform some roleplay esque ritual before you casted any spell in the game. For no reason at all would that be needed because people would still look for and obtain the same outcome, which is getting a spell casted, therefore there should be no need for a mechanic like that because it just hinders people getting the same outcome from the exact same situation.

Wurm doesn't work like that ftoz, there is no such thing as dedicated roles of archers and knights because everyone needs to be everything at the same time, the archery takes place before the melee engagement there are no people staying back to archer without getting hands dirty. Its all about numbers of people and ensuring that everyone is working together for the same purpose at the same time there is no time for people to have different roles. Perhaps in some fantasy it is how things should work but the simple fact is that right here in wurm it does not work like that. Thinking that people should have different roles just shows that you don't understand the combat in this game.

• Like 2

Reading through this thread it's pretty obvious that posters playing on PvP servers want the debuff removed because it makes life easier for them: no lugging around 2 armour sets, no hassle in switching armour on the go. These posters talk about that "plate is needed in combat" but what they really mean is "plate is needed in PvP combat".

Light armour is a perfectly viable armour in PvE combat.

posters playing on PvP servers want the debuff removed because it makes life easier for them

Wrong way to look at it.  We want it removed because it makes life harder for us compared to before the nerf nobody wanted

I don't get why it's an issue to remove the nerf on heavy armor.  No one is suggesting remove buffs for lighter armor... so effectively it's the same without a pointless nerf

• Like 1

When people with 90 plus archery cant hit anything even when naked its time for a change - or at least a reverse of this stupid nerf.

This is odd. My Xanadu character is just shy of 70 archery skill, uses ql 70 bows and ql 60 arrows. And at longbow range 90% of his arrows will hit. So what's the reason that you cannot "hit anything" with 90 archery while I can hit everything with 70 archery?

It was a pvp nerf there is no reason it would be discussed for pve reasons, and shooting people is harder than shooting mobs...

• Like 3

If the nerf was much harder people would consider other options than wearing plate.

I am trying understand, what is senceable for game. So if some group, who wear plate, asking for cancel debuff, its egotistic view on group. Try to think deeply same situation, if group wear leather armour and read all posts again. Then compare both what that game add and lose.

You want to talk "sensible" for the game?

Currently, I spend way too much time equipping and unequipping my priest's armor because he's needed all over the deed to do enchanting work, and there's plenty of aggressive creatures trying to kill him.

Don't bother suggesting to get his FS up... at 70+fs, 1 troll will kill him in 3 or 4 hits with a cotton set/no armor on.

Edited by As_I_Decay
  • Like 2

This is odd. My Xanadu character is just shy of 70 archery skill, uses ql 70 bows and ql 60 arrows. And at longbow range 90% of his arrows will hit. So what's the reason that you cannot "hit anything" with 90 archery while I can hit everything with 70 archery?

Maybe because mobs don't have a l. shield to block 95% of your shoots?

You want to talk "sensible" for the game?

Currently, I spend way too much time equipping and unequipping my priest's armor because he's needed all over the deed to do enchanting work, and there's plenty of aggressive creatures trying to kill him.

Don't bother suggesting to get his FS up... at 70+fs, 1 troll will kill him in 3 or 4 hits with a cotton set/no armor on.

I also have huge issues with this, and I refuse to walk around with two armour sets on our priest since the weight slows it down. Our priest has 70+ fs which used to be fine but they have buffed all creatures a billion times and the priest doesn't last very long in a fight with a troll when wearing cloth. I had to duck into the water last night because a hell hound tore me a new one, which at 70fs isn't as much challenging as it is frustrating.

• Like 1

I can guarantee you "if the nerf was much harder" people would not wear anything but plate still, you don't understand the mindset of people that this affects, and it's just an annoyance to haveeeeee

Even if I take off all my armor and try to archer someone with a height advantage I still never hit.  Don't even glance.. miss after miss.  I carry 3 quivers on me now.

I am a priest and I WANT the casting penalty.  Seriously.

if PvE wants this feature, PvP is willing to let you have it good sir, we won't even argue against you good sir o7

archery itself needs a revert too, I can't even hit a damn wolf at two tiles naked with a shortbow if I'm aiming, also GG nerfing chain because it was so viable before that

EDIT: since apparently some people don't get it, Wurm armor choice is based entirely around damage reduction (except drake / scale) because there is a clear lack of any other balancing factors, thus creating a hierarchy of best to worst with no real viable options

buffing archery on leather won't do jack because the guy wearing leather will still get killed in three hits by a kid with halfway decent strength and a shortsword

"class" based balance can work if done properly, as in fitting a role (not just archery / casting nerfs as they are now); any buffs / debuffs also need to not be easily changed by switching or removing armor, and they need to encourage playing the desired role and discourage playing other roles without forcing them entirely

Edited by MisterTeddy

For those that don't know, where there are many, you can't encourage the use of armour when you can't kill someone with archery if they are running at you. If a guy in leather is shooting at a "knight" who is wearing chain plate drake scale or even leather, you won't kill him or even hit him if they have a shield. This it's literally pointless because you can't kill him, ever. What this is doing is either risking people's lives stupidly by having you either take off all your armour, right down to your gloves and boots, or forcing someone to switch or into leather just to shoot, then switch back again. In a pvp mindset, it is stupid and just annoying.

I never believed leather and chain should have any added buff or viability in wurm other than being easier to make. Scale the best and cloth the worst and if they want to have small Buffs in between fine but in melee combat which is basically every kind of combat which involves some kind of damage reduction, no amount of buffs will encourage someone to use chain over plate or leather studded over chain or plate.

• Like 1

I personally accept scale is better than drake and better than plate etc and I personally accept drake is better than plate and chain and plate is better than chain and studded and so forth.

This is how wurm combat is, I do hope it is changed

it seems to me most people opposing this idea have it in their heads that in wurm there are roles (tank, archer mage)

there are no roles in wurm pvp

everyone has a 50km/h horse, everyone has a backup horse, everyone wears plate, everyone only uses archery and spells to slow people down or spells to mitigate healing.

if you don't have a 50km/h horse, you die.

if you don't have a backup horse, you die faster.

if you don't wear plate, you die in three hits.

if you try to archer players on anything but a boat, the damage you deal in an hours time is negligible because it can be healed as fast as two players can do it, not even starting with fo spells or glance rates on oakshell. (and if damage was buffed, it wouldn't be fair due to all the position desync where players are 30-50 tiles off of where they are, which makes blocking useless.)

I see this school of thought all the time with new players that join us on Epic. We will tell them and tell them that there are no roles, and you should do everything, and sometimes they listen, othertimes they go out to PvP for their first time, get dropped 10 seconds in, and then wonder what went wrong because it clearly can't be anything we told them.

If you want "roles" in wurm PvP, it would take a lot more than an archery change, it would take a rework of the entire fighting system.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 5

If you want "roles" in wurm PvP, it would take a lot more than an archery change, it would take a rework of the entire fighting system.

Well I want universal soldiers thank you very much

ok, that also vote for same damage reduction on all armours. Its boring that plate has higher than leather. We can have aslo universal armour.

Edited by ftoz

this isnt Lord of Rings ftoz or real life, plate is and for the foreseeable future is the meta , at least in pvp, so +1 from me.

When people with 90 plus archery cant hit anything even when naked its time for a change - or at least a reverse of this stupid nerf.

No it isnt. If wurm want hold some game sence, so should respect base physic rules. If not, so can get back old horses and colors of mood to see that is big joke. 

There is talking about removing. This feature was add quite time ago and its good step to balace knight vs archer. I mean " harder" as more difference between ligth and heavy armor. If compare cast succeced, its almost same in naked, studded, plate. Minimal differ. I mean naked should be with high skill almost everytime done, with plate almost minimal chance. Archery and offensive spells are totally bet set. Hard to kill anything. So almost no natural archer or priest or sorceror. For me is interesting see other pvp where are wariety battles.In wurm there are universal knights, who can all. So if want all boring game chars leading to wear red, so why not. Game will be more boring than it is.

Edited by ftoz

No it isnt. If wurm want hold some game sence, so should respect base physic rules. If not, so can get back old horses and colors of mood to see that is big joke. 

Wurm really isn't going for realism.

Even if it was, plate armor isn't anywhere near as restrictive as it is normally depicted in games/movies.