Sign in to follow this  
Baid

45 Degree Wall/Fence

Angled Walls  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

Adding angled walls and fences would be a great addition to Wurm. I'd love to see a change like this implemented!

clipping-centre1.jpg

• Like 6

I am not sure how that would work with the tile borders we have but it would be cool. 

Edited by Kegan

Considering that diagonal road tiles are just diagonal texture-wise I foresee this to become a big problem since the fencing would essentially still cover 2 tile borders in order to work. It'd end up covering either the corner of the inside or of the outside of the supposed fencing (or all 4 borders if unlucky) and you'd most likely get so horrendously stuck there every time you approached or you'd be blocked by an invisible barrier rendering most of the tile useless. If they can't get diagonal pavement to work I don't see this suggestion happening ever, I'm afraid.

Would love it, but agree... too many complications unless there is a major overhaul with tiles and buildings.

Are we Wurm developers now?

I don't know for a fact that Wurm cannot handle such a change, so I'm not going to dismiss the idea off-hand.  Just because you currently need a tile border to build in, doesn't mean that's the only way the game can ever be made to do it.  Or that we cannot build something that connects to two tile borders diagonally.

I see too many ideas shot down because people assume it can't be done, or it would be too difficult.  I respectfully suggest that we let those who actually know Wurm development make that determination.  I believe at one point multi-story houses were said by many here to be impossible or too hard to do when they were first suggested.  As well as bridges.

Good suggestion Baid.  I would love to see this in game.

• Like 2

+1 Hear, hear, Proximo !   It would be good to let the Dev's respond, if they would ? :unsure:

This is not hard to do to be honest. It is simply adding in diagonal boarders and 45' Walls. then adding that into the crafting ui.

As far as getting stuck no this wouldn't happen. A wall which is a object has a box collider which is a invisible wall scaled and stretched over the object. It is the collider that stops you from going threw the wall not the wall it's self.

Let me stretch this a bit for you. When you move a object forge. oven, crate, etc.... you can turn them in angles one being a 45' angle. Even now you are allowed to turn a wall around and all you need to do is add code in to make the wall stop in 45'. But to keep with the building aspects they will have to also add in a diagonal tile boarder. So depending on the old code  it would have to be rewritten to include the extra diagonal boarders.

Can it be done? Yes. Will they do it? Have to ask Rolf if it is something he see's worth changing that would still be along his vision of wurm.

Side not also with this there would have to be a lot more new floors created and  roof tiles and rules set in to building place so one couldn't make a mess. You would need at this point a new floor tile that is cut in half along the diagonal side as would a new roof tile would have to be made to fit in if this wall would be connected to said celling.

IMO This would be another holly grail for wurm and should really be considered to dropping on the future plans to be added in.

Edited by Arkonick

I'm not saying I think it would be a bad feature or that it wouldn't be pretty, I just have 0 hopes of us ever getting such a thing regarldless of what we want and even if we did get it it would be buggy as heck.

They were able to add upper floors pretty late in development.  Bridges work... who knows, this might be possible at some point.

If it turns out to be as big an undertaking as upper floors and bridges, though, not sure where I'd place it in the list of priorities.

Kinda think something like a revised cave system might be an addition with more benefit overall.  Chances are they can do more than one thing at a time though.   :)

Given the creativity we've seen in the Wurm community, it would be interesting to see what people do with this!

It would be nice. But they mentioned rivers or streams and reworking the underground levels. Seeing how long it took for bridges and multi story buildings, I don't know if this will ever happen unless it's kinda easy. You can't compare this to diagonal roads cuz those are really full road tiles with some art that makes them look like half a tile. If diagonal were easy we would have diagonal everything I think Anyways, voted aye cuz it looks good. 

-1 I love the concept and would love the feature. However, this would require completely changing tiles so they have diagonal borders cutting through them. Which in turn would probably break every current structure.

Bump for my favorite old suggestion, possibly could be looked at with new viewpoints ?

+1, Though just thinking about the overhaul to the entire building system that might be needed, and the graphical work required to make all the new boarders join together neatly in such a system ,  gives me a headache.

But just think of all the new building and fence design options we would have....

Thanks for the diagram. I would have struggled to visualise it otherwise.

25 minutes ago, Czar said:

Thanks for the diagram. I would have struggled to visualise it otherwise.

Precisely why it's there. I had to ensure you understood the suggestion.

Always figure that's what "rotate wall" was for when I first started.  Doesn't seem to do anything.

1 hour ago, Baid said:

Precisely why it's there. I had to ensure you understood the suggestion.

Totally. I and anyone else might have thought you wanted to turn walls into wheelchair ramps otherwise,  but thankfully that diagram disabused me of that.

18 hours ago, nicedreams said:

Always figure that's what "rotate wall" was for when I first started.  Doesn't seem to do anything.

Rotating the wall rotates it 180 degrees. Useful if a window is facing the wrong way or the edges of the textures don't match up, etc.

+1 would be interesting if there was an option to rightclick a tile (instead of border) to create a diagonal wall. rotating it, to change which way it's diagonal and "flip" for changing the facing of a wall/fence :)