Sign in to follow this  
Kegan

New permission for perimeters

Old idea 

While the developers are reworking deed permissions why not take the time and add in new ones for perimeters too?  

We have been seeing a lot about griefing lately so it got me to thinking that most all of the griefing that is done happens in the perimeters of deeds so why not just make perimeters have a permission system too.  Perimeters were made so people can pass by deeds and that will not change any but you don't need to cutting trees, dig or mine to pass by a deed and this will help stop the griefing that is done.

New players can not build in perimeters anyway so it is not like it will change anything anyway. The only thing it will do is stop players from most of the griefing that is done to them. 

Revision to the idea: Well with all the post made so far i will make a revision to this and suggest that perimeters have only the following restrictions added to them..

Only deed members and alliance members with permissions be allowed to dig and cut the young, mature and old trees in perimeters. (very old and overaged trees can still be cut by anyone) 

Everything else stays like it is now that way the griefer can not deforest the area completely and can not make any huge changes to the surroundings by digging.  

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 4

-1, just expand your deed if you want that.

Perimeter tiles are just to keep deeds/buildings away from where you may wish to expand to in future or just keep them away in general.

They should however be made cheaper I feel. At the current price, you might as well just pay to deed the tiles.

I've owned quite a few deeds and never paid for extra perimeter because of that. Almost none of the benefits but still half the cost.

If you can protect things like trees/mining/digging etc, then why pay for deeded tiles? That covers the majority of it anyway.

• Like 1

And then what about the tiles just past that? Where will it stop or will it take 150 tile range for people to finally be happy that someone can not touch tiles near there deed.

• Like 1

-1, just expand your deed if you want that.

Perimeter tiles are just to keep deeds/buildings away from where you may wish to expand to in future or just keep them away in general.

They should however be made cheaper I feel. At the current price, you might as well just pay to deed the tiles.

I've owned quite a few deeds and never paid for extra perimeter because of that. Almost none of the benefits but still half the cost.

If you can protect things like trees/mining/digging etc, then why pay for deeded tiles? That covers the majority of it anyway.

Well the protection the deed tiles give in perimeters you can still pick up things off the ground, hunt and there will be decay..etc the only thing is that you can't dig, mine and cut trees. (unless set to public or something like that)

Edited by Kegan

I would say yes to this, but only for digging.  Anyone digging next to a deed is usually (not always) trying to grief the deed owner with pits and moats around the deed.  And it can take a lot of time to fix that kind of a problem.  As to trees, they can be easily replanted, and mining would only be possible if rock is already there, if you can't dig (although why mine next to a deed unless you are trying to break into their mine).  But -1 to all of the restrictions, deed it is the rule then.

The reason why perimeters are semi-useless now is because back when we had the Area of Control system that preceeded perimeters people took that little extra hint of control and abused it as much as they could. The Area of Control was a set of FREE upkeepless tiles that came with every deed (deeds had set sizes back then) so even if you had a 21x21 deed you got thousands of extra tiles where only you could bash walls. So people bought the smallest deed available and fenced in all the free tiles and then noone could touch them.

This is a very tricky thing to deal with because you either end up with players claiming tiles they haven't paid for or people having an easier time griefing others. Every step in the direction of equating perimeter with deed will lead to the same kind of thing we had with the AoC, which doesn't go well together with the ruleset that says that offdeed items and structures are unprotected. What happens when people start convincing themselves that the perimeter IS deed and start storing horses there and then someone bugs through a wall to kill them all? Or to bash chests and bsbs? It's obvious griefing but the tiles are offdeed and according to the rules that's free game...

I agree that incessant digging in someone else's perimeter is griefing and should be stopped, but I'm not sure that giving the perimeter more authority is the best solution.

heh, y mean that someone from devs read this forum?

heh, y mean that someone from devs read this forum?

apparently not since they have to make a new thread for suggestions on balancing things and to get ideas. 

Edited by Kegan

Well the protection the deed tiles give in perimeters you can still pick up things off the ground, hunt and there will be decay..etc the only thing is that you can't dig, mine and cut trees. (unless set to public or something like that)

That pretty much renders the tiles useless to everyone else and might as well be classed as 'deeded' for the most part.

You can still hunt on someones deeded tiles, just not non-aggro mobs.

People would just abuse this and wall off huge farms or tree farms in their perimeters, as decay doesn't matter much for that. (Wouldn't even need to wall it off in the case of a tree farm)

Big +1 for digging permission.  Anyone that pays for a deed soon has a vision of what it will look like, they should have a way to preserve a bit of the area around themselves.  Make the outer 2 tiles of perim Kings Land with no permissions to allow for roads.  No one should have the right to go in and destroy a paying customers area, anyone that has the need to do that should move to a pvp server.  If its  a problem on pvp then disable it there or add items for them to be able to do it with even with permission set.

Well the mining i can see might be a little extreme and like others have said digging will stop most of that anyway.

I guess you can allow them to cut the older trees too but not the younger ones so they can not deforest the area at least that way people can have some wood here and there if they need but still allow for the forest to continue to regrow. 

This seems like a good compromise and digging in an area so close to a deed should be at the discretion of the deed holder anyway especially if it is paid perimeter tiles.  This revision will stop most of the griefing but still allow others access to wood and rock in an area but stops anyone from making any drastic changes to the surroundings of a deed.  

Edited by Kegan