Sign in to follow this  
Vox

Add a /kos function to know what deeds have you kos?

Can the people giving -1s give actual reasons why? I guess you dont have to, but I would like to know the reason since I cant see a negative side effect if this is implemented.

Edited by Nicrolis
  • Like 3

Thank you for the support.

It was just an idea from new player (if you know my brief history, that will explain a lot) which seemed reasonable.

Vox

If you're KoSed, 99.99% of the time is for a good reason, and "the enemy of my friend is my enemy" (if you did something bad to another person, there are high chances you would do it again, so better safe than sorry, and is everyone's right to KoS whoever they want, without providing an explanation).

On the other hand, I would like to see KoS entirely removed from Freedom (under the condition of very clear rules preventing griefing, because

Game Rules 
These apply to all servers.

Wurm Online provides a complex social environment with many different people.  These rules help keep the game running smooth while allowing you the freedom to enjoy the possibilities within Wurm Online without spoiling the experience of others.)

As long as there are clear mechanics to prevent spoiling other players' experience (and there are clear mechanics - gates, fences, walls, locks, permissions) there is no need for KoS on Freedom.

Edited by Evening

although i dont see a reason of this i cannot see why not? All those who are -1, tell me, why not? This does not change my playstyle or how i do things so if someone could use this, then sure +1 from me, if it makes your life better or easier.

• Like 1

The whole KOS thing is a bit clunky anyway nod I'd like to see it made easier to use.

As to the OP, at first I thought if you have to ask then you're likely up to no good but then you realise that in reality people get added to KOS for all sorts of reasons so why not

Maybe this could be extended to enable you to see where a character is on KOS for your server

Eg

/ KOS character name will show all the villages where that name is KOS

Anyway

+1

+1 for a list but KOS serves no purpose on PVE that you cant achieve with gates and/or deed settings, it should just be disabled on PVE imo.

If someones bothering you on deed chances are they can bother you just as much off it and yeah I have used it a few times but it didnt achieve anything other than making the situation worse than it needed to be (sometimes coffee before logging in is a great idea) :P

+1, always wanted to see my release list  :P

+1 so i know where to go for templar kill missions

Edited by whykillme
  • Like 2

The amount of drama that list would give us.

changed my mind ;) it would only be fun the first week.

Edited by Cenotaph

thats why you buy a deed to keep whoever you want to out. for the record i have never kos'd anyone but would in an instant if i saw bad intentions. would you realistically know if someone had a hit out on you? probably not unless you know you got caught and in you instance of a name? are you sure you didnt do something with that alt that caused it? otherwise how does that person even know who you are?

I was in local

To those that say KOS is not necessary on PVE servers, let me remind you that sometimes you have to keep your deed open, for business, or because a highway runs through it.  Besides, any dedicated asshat will keep trying to find a hole in your defenses and will use them to get through.  Best to make them go around your deed or get killed if they find a hole.

As an example, I had a pen get broken into and all my horses killed.  I DID have the gates locked, but due to a server glitch, the lock on 1 gate disappeared.  The asshat checked all the gates and found the 1 without a lock and used it.  New settings prevent a lot of what happened then, but some of it could still happen.

Edited by Vroomfondel

I'm not sure how I really feel about this.  Having never played on a PVE server I don't really know how things work out there.

Being from a PVP server I know its far from unheard of to KOS new names going through friendly local areas.

It may be convenient to know who doesn't like you so maybe you could ask why aside from people being paranoid but with the number of spy alts that float around maybe you don't want someone to know that you've figured out their alt and KOS'd them.

I gather on PVE servers if your on a KOS its because you have it coming.and deserve what you get.

-1 Overall.

Can the people giving -1s give actual reasons why? I guess you dont have to, but I would like to know the reason since I cant see a negative side effect if this is implemented.

Because this seems like a buff to people who are bad members of the community.

Now sure, I'm sure there have been people put on KOS through no fault of their own.  But generally if you seriously need a list of who many villages have you on KOS, you are probably doing something to deserve it.

Why should we make life easier for people like that?  And what would be the point of the "KOS" mechanic, if we make it childishly easy to circumvent by giving you a big "AVOID THESE PLACES" list??

• Like 1

Why should we make life easier for people like that?  And what would be the point of the "KOS" mechanic, if we make it childishly easy to circumvent by giving you a big "AVOID THESE PLACES" list??

The point of the KOS mechanic is to keep those people off your deed.

Giving people a list of places they are KOSd so they avoid them would help you, not hurt you.

I guess the main reason I'm against the idea is because giving those who misbehave a way to see where they should not go is sort of condoning the bad behavior.  I don't want to approve of anything that helps the bad players in the game.  It does unfortunately also prevent good players that were unfairly KOSed from knowing where not to go, but they should blame the bad players for that problem.

• Like 1

+1, you don't have to 'be an ass' to get added to KOS list; I add people sometimes purely because I don't like them, in the hopes that if they come by, the guards will usher them away. Anyone saying 'you should know you're kos by your actions without having to check' has never purchased a character, or been curious. 

It does unfortunately also prevent good players that were unfairly KOSed from knowing where not to go, but they should blame the bad players for that problem.

Just so we're clear here, good players shouldn't get something because bad players are bad? 

Edited by Arronicus
  • Like 1

Works for me. It's not like a KoS is actually any kind of deterrent beyond an automated Keep Off The Lawn sign.

sorry not buying this argument. -1 if you need to know if you are kos then you deserve to not know

Everyone who get's KOS'd deserves to be? By your own logic, can't you see the possibility that the very people who like to "be an ass", are the very sort of people who might maliciously KOS other players without any real cause? This can, and does happen.

I don't see anything wrong with being able to know about it beforehand... and I don't think that would detract from the ability to KOS deserving parties.. the mechanic isn't intended to be a way of luring people you don't like onto your deed so that they can die. If they know, they might avoid your deed. Isn't that the whole point? If they were online for the KOS when it happened, they will know about it anyway.

+1

There is a message, the first time you enter the perimeter of a hostile deed.

A player will get a warning message *every time* they enter a the 5 tile perimeter (out from deed tile edge) of a deed that they are KoS'ed on. With this warning I see no need for any list of deeds that an individual can check on a server to see if they have been KoS'ed on them. Waste of time coding this.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

I could have sworn I received a message telling me I had been KOS'd on someone's deed once.  Granted, I was online and on the same server when they turned it on.

Mind you, I didn't know where this gent's deed was, nor did I care to know where it was.  He was just basically mad that annoying me off the deed spot I had didn't work.

I think KOS is more than just keeping someone off your own deed though.  Couldn't there be scenarios where an alliance might all add someone to KOS as a way to say, "you mess with me, you mess with my whole family?"  Is a list of deeds in a particular alliance currently available?  Never had reason to look.  Would such a list make it harder to implement community wide KOS's if people know they might themselves become an explicit target as a result?  It could wind up just handing the bad guy a list of your friends to go annoy too.

In any case, Vox, such a list wouldn't affect me much if at all, but there may be some underlying repercussions lurking about so... +0.5  :)

Keep the suggestions coming man!  Your wah wah pedals rock! 

• Like 2

I guess the main reason I'm against the idea is because giving those who misbehave a way to see where they should not go is sort of condoning the bad behavior.  I don't want to approve of anything that helps the bad players in the game.  It does unfortunately also prevent good players that were unfairly KOSed from knowing where not to go, but they should blame the bad players for that problem.

What if the 'Bad Players' are the ones DOING the KOSing?

• Like 2

+1, you don't have to 'be an ass' to get added to KOS list; I add people sometimes purely because I don't like them, in the hopes that if they come by, the guards will usher them away. Anyone saying 'you should know you're kos by your actions without having to check' has never purchased a character, or been curious. 

Just so we're clear here, good players shouldn't get something because bad players are bad? 

Unfortunately that is exactly how it goes in RL, so yes, good players can't have it due to bad players.  As to those who have bought chars that are on KOS, caveat emptor, let the buyer beware.  You should check out the rep of a char before you buy it.

What if the 'Bad Players' are the ones DOING the KOSing?

I'll admit, some folks just KOS everyone they disagree with in chat, or anyone who comes near their deed.  I say if they want to be left alone, leave them alone.  But let's be honest, more often we have bad players who deserve KOS.

What this comes down to is whether a list of all deeds you are on KOS is needed or not.  Since you will be told you are KOS before you actually enter a deed, I'd say the mechanics work good enough to prevent any problems, other than suddenly finding you have to go around a deed instead of through it.  Why go to the trouble of coding for a list when the current mechanics work and tell you when you get too close?  There are many more important things that we need to have worked on.  As I said in the beginning, giving them the list and making is easier for the bad players is sort of condoning bad behavior.

• Like 1

'Okay, let me check - nope, not KOS at this deed - so I'm safe going over this one. Where shall I start my probing for holes..'

That's one facet of such a list also.

• Like 1

I made me think, "What if I just called the Sheriff and asked him if I have any warrants out for my arrest?" Though it really doesn't matter to me if someone has a list or not, it does have its funny side as well as its list of downs.