Sign in to follow this  
Kegan

When is vacation time over?

No kidding, these Europeans get more time off in one holiday then most Americans get in vacation days the entire work year.... And America is lazy!?

America gets double the time off that Japan does, and 10x the sick days. So yes, America is lazy if we're going to make comparisons =P

(Note, the 10x the sick days is a bit of an underestimate, considering the massive amount of stigma in Japan over taking a sick day.)

America gets double the time off that Japan does, and 10x the sick days. So yes, America is lazy if we're going to make comparisons =P

(Note, the 10x the sick days is a bit of an underestimate, considering the massive amount of stigma in Japan over taking a sick day.)

Wrong.

Japan's citizens get 10 paid days off per year, no matter who you work for. In America, you are guaranteed 0. It is completely the employer's choice/policy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_statutory_minimum_employment_leave_by_country

Edited by As_I_Decay
  • Like 3

I feel like Sweden might get a few extra immigrants this year of the Wurmian variety.

Edited by Outlaw

For all of you complainers:
I would love to be there to harass you all for taking vacation - or taking a weekend off  :rolleyes: They are taking a well deserved break! Enjoying life as its meant to be (people aren't supposed to be slaves or ants you know). I love the sentiment that just because you are more or less forced to work your a*s off more so than someone who is fortunate enough to not have to do that, you are somehow better or they are somehow to be shamed. Sorry your life sucks - seriously. 

"I am miserable, so you should also be miserable - that way everyone is happy"

(Maybe its time to see a shrink about all that pent up anger you are taking out on the world around you?)

Imagine the hard working cotton plantation slave telling a slave that actually got the day off that they are lazy and should just get back to work. Seriously, once again, I thank people for showing their true sides - I know who to not associate with because you are just plain out rude.

On a side note: If you check all sorts of statistics a lot of the districts of that country called "Europe" is doing a hell of a lot better than the US in most aspects that matter - life expectancy, happiness, income equality, healthcare.

The Wurm team has done a GREAT job this last year. Successful bridge launch, several new art updates, the *almost* weekly updates. The game has been getting a lot more updates than it did a few years ago. So I really hope you all ENJOY your time off! :)  And THANKS for a great game.

If anything - I would post a forum post in the lines of:
I cant wait for the Devs to get back and continue giving us awesome stuff! It's so hard to be patient for the good stuff! You better enjoy your time off :D
 Go and have an awesome vacation guys!

Edited by Journeya

This is utter and complete ######. The law says that your employer has to offer you a certain amount of vacation weeks for a certain amount of work weeks. You're not forced to take a vacation at a certain time of the year and you're not forced to take out your entire vacation all in one sweep.

We're not "itchy" because old Roffieboy is taking some time off - We're annoyed because they announced this to be the summer of bugfixing and then took pretty much the entire summer off. Like I've said before - They could've announced the "Fall of bugfixing" where they were all actually at the office instead.

Do all of you PR officers think it is good PR for the game to speak of the agitated players in the derogatory and insulting manner that you do?

And looking at Xanadu right now, this quote comes to mind. "While Nero fiddles, Rome burns."

How does an economy even function with European-styled mandatory long vacations?

*looks at Greece*

Ohhhh...nvm.

i live in greece, and not many respect the "mandatory thing" and i work 80+ h a week for 2-3 months at a time, no day off no weekend nothing! is either that or no job , that's how f*** up it is here.

To all you whining about the complainers:

It's not about the fact that the dev team has taken a vacation, it's about the fact that they announced this to be the summer of bugfixing when they knew they'd spend a large portion of it on vacation. They should've announced "The fall of bugfixing" instead.

Edit: And who cares that summer's not "halfway through", they should've announced the huge bugfixing effort at a time where they were actually at the office.

Edited by Aeris
  • Like 1

It's not about the fact that the dev team has taken a vacation, it's about the fact that they announced this to be the summer of bugfixing when they knew they'd spend a large portion of it on vacation. They should've announced "The fall of bugfixing" instead.

It's not even half way through summer yet...

I do see where you're coming from though.

They should have announced it when they got back.

Edited by Outlaw

Fall is from the end of september to december. Thats almost 2 monts after they are back from vacation.

Winter in nordic countries: Temperatures dropping -40 celsius, no sun in 3 months, polarbears roaming everywhere.

Enjoy your summer vacation CC ab folks :)

And looking at Xanadu right now, this quote comes to mind. "While Nero fiddles, Rome burns."

My latest 14 days in the game have looked like this:

- Attacked through house walls 3 days, multiple times during those days and at one point by 3 trolls at the same time

- When riding a cart into a house I have gotten kicked off and had to wander around in the house to find a point where I could reembark it. This has happened 2-3 times

- Driving too close to a mine wall in a cart kicks me off the cart. This happens every time I'm in a mine since the distance that is deemed "too close" seems to fluctuate

- When riding a cart into a house I have gotten stuck inside the house wall and had to relog to fix it

- When climbing next to a low stone wall I fell into it and got stuck, when relogging I was on the wrong side of the fencing

- For 2 days all the carts surrounding me were revving their wheels as I went past them

- Killing things inside mines and the corpses seemingly disappearing (it is very likely that they warped down to the water table)

- I was trying to catch up to a friend to open a trade window but he just kept going and so did I. Turned out we were so heavily desynced that he thought I was speeding away from him even though he was literally inside me on my screen. Upon relogging I suddenly was 60 meters away from him (which is what his spyglass showed).

Picture of the wild goose chase that he provided:

BC2n3AX.jpg

On my screen I was exactly where he is in the picture.

- No skillgain when fighting. Literally not a single tick in any of the fighting related skills (characteristics, weapon, stance)

- I could lockpick containers on the deed but when I checked the settings I wasn't supposed to be able to. I reported this in June, 2014

- I got the error message "You must be on the same floor level to start dragging." when trying to drag a cart around on a hillside. Seems it interpreted the sloping as me being on another floor level inside a house, even though there was no house nearby

- Having people's names visually stuck in my local even though they left it hours ago

- Seeing a ship on the horizon that isn't really there, and when the person turned around to park at our deed the ship model was still stuck on the horizon and thus invisible to me where it was parked

- Getting the viewpoint stuck when embarking a cart, has happened 2-3 times during this time period alone. Relogging sometimes fixes it but not always

- Disconnecting due to server lag and when reconnecting all containers I had opened are still listed as open even though they're visually closed on my screen so I have to close all of them to be able to reopen them

- When eating with 8-10% food left on the bar the game counts it as fasting even though you're refilling it before you have actually fasted and it completely messes up your nutrition level. This happens every single time I eat with low food bar

- I have had a marble planter flying in the air for 3 days. I am not kidding:

LSencbg.jpg

This has happened every single day:

- Me or my village mates have entered a mine somwhere and upon exiting we've become invisible to each other. Even if we didn't even share local when entering the mine we were invisible to each other upon tryin to rendez-vous later in the day. At one point I even returned to the deed to see that one of the horsecarts was invisible to me - Not the horses though, but more often than not both the cart and the horses are invisible

- Can't press "no target" while in a fight anymore. I'm not sure if this is an intentional change but I do not like it since "no target" is the easiest way to make sure you're not targetting something ten billion tiles away during the fight

• Like 3

I wonder who's ship that was? And I wonder who the invisible person was that came out of the mine was? Seems I might have been there for those. You were watching for me while my ship was a silhouette on the horizon and I was looking for an invisible person with no name in local.

EDIT: Made the 2 hour sail an hour longer too due to circling back and doubling up.

Edited by Audrel
  • Like 1

Most of Europe isn't like the U.S. In the U.S. they don't give a crap about the workers except how many hours a day they can crack the whip over them and how much blood and sweat they can squeeze out of them. It's not good enough to have most of the money. They want all of the money. The workers are tools to be thrown away once they are no longer useful. People, bah. There's more where they came from.  Just open the borders and let them pour through. Vacation?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

There's more where they came from.  Just open the borders and let them pour through.

We tried that part in Europe. Didn't work too well. :P

My latest 14 days in the game have looked like this:

- Attacked through house walls 3 days, multiple times during those days and at one point by 3 trolls at the same time

- When riding a cart into a house I have gotten kicked off and had to wander around in the house to find a point where I could reembark it. This has happened 2-3 times

- Driving too close to a mine wall in a cart kicks me off the cart. This happens every time I'm in a mine since the distance that is deemed "too close" seems to fluctuate

- When riding a cart into a house I have gotten stuck inside the house wall and had to relog to fix it

- When climbing next to a low stone wall I fell into it and got stuck, when relogging I was on the wrong side of the fencing

- For 2 days all the carts surrounding me were revving their wheels as I went past them

- Killing things inside mines and the corpses seemingly disappearing (it is very likely that they warped down to the water table)

- I was trying to catch up to a friend to open a trade window but he just kept going and so did I. Turned out we were so heavily desynced that he thought I was speeding away from him even though he was literally inside me on my screen. Upon relogging I suddenly was 60 meters away from him (which is what his spyglass showed).

Picture of the wild goose chase that he provided:

BC2n3AX.jpg

On my screen I was exactly where he is in the picture.

- No skillgain when fighting. Literally not a single tick in any of the fighting related skills (characteristics, weapon, stance)

- I could lockpick containers on the deed but when I checked the settings I wasn't supposed to be able to. I reported this in June, 2014

- I got the error message "You must be on the same floor level to start dragging." when trying to drag a cart around on a hillside. Seems it interpreted the sloping as me being on another floor level inside a house, even though there was no house nearby

- Having people's names visually stuck in my local even though they left it hours ago

- Seeing a ship on the horizon that isn't really there, and when the person turned around to park at our deed the ship model was still stuck on the horizon and thus invisible to me where it was parked

- Getting the viewpoint stuck when embarking a cart, has happened 2-3 times during this time period alone. Relogging sometimes fixes it but not always

- Disconnecting due to server lag and when reconnecting all containers I had opened are still listed as open even though they're visually closed on my screen so I have to close all of them to be able to reopen them

- When eating with 8-10% food left on the bar the game counts it as fasting even though you're refilling it before you have actually fasted and it completely messes up your nutrition level. This happens every single time I eat with low food bar

- I have had a marble planter flying in the air for 3 days. I am not kidding:

LSencbg.jpg

This has happened every single day:

- Me or my village mates have entered a mine somwhere and upon exiting we've become invisible to each other. Even if we didn't even share local when entering the mine we were invisible to each other upon tryin to rendez-vous later in the day. At one point I even returned to the deed to see that one of the horsecarts was invisible to me - Not the horses though, but more often than not both the cart and the horses are invisible

- Can't press "no target" while in a fight anymore. I'm not sure if this is an intentional change but I do not like it since "no target" is the easiest way to make sure you're not targetting something ten billion tiles away during the fight

Wow I have to say that I have had most of these things occur multiple times.  I just don't worry about it or bother to take more than passing note of it.  For me personally in 10 years they will not matter in my life, so I don't bother to keep track of  most of it.

That said the poor op was just wondering when the staff would return. 

I hope somewhere in all this he received an answer.

Wrong.

Japan's citizens get 10 paid days off per year, no matter who you work for. In America, you are guaranteed 0. It is completely the employer's choice/policy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_statutory_minimum_employment_leave_by_country

As someone who lived in Japan as recently as April this year, I can tell you first hand, many, if not most Japanese people only take half or less of their vacation time. They are legally offered 10 paid days or more, but they do not take them all because it is 'a burden on co-workers and the company'. VICE and the BBC have semi-recently done documentaries on immigration into Japan which touch on this issue, talking about how it is an undesirable work environment to prospective immigrants in professional trades like nursing, with the company-focused working conditions. It's not that the conditions are unsafe or anything, but time off is mostly a foreign concept.

So yes, from a legal standpoint, the Japanese are offered more time off. From an in-practice/cultural aspect, Americans take way more time off than the Japanese.

Edited by Arronicus
  • Like 1

Edit: And who cares that summer's not "halfway through", they should've announced the huge bugfixing effort at a time where they were actually at the office.

The Lady has a valid point.

Edited by geode

This is utter and complete ######. The law says that your employer has to offer you a certain amount of vacation weeks for a certain amount of work weeks. You're not forced to take a vacation at a certain time of the year and you're not forced to take out your entire vacation all in one sweep.

We're not "itchy" because old Roffieboy is taking some time off - We're annoyed because they announced this to be the summer of bugfixing and then took pretty much the entire summer off. Like I've said before - They could've announced the "Fall of bugfixing" where they were all actually at the office instead.

Do all of you PR officers think it is good PR for the game to speak of the agitated players in the derogatory and insulting manner that you do?

Forum troll candidate 2015, it's going to be a good election this year but this is certainly a strong runner.

^THIS^ is not trolling. This is ranting or flaming.

Forum troll candidate 2015, it's going to be a good election this year but this is certainly a strong runner.

^THIS^ is trolling. <this may be too.

• Like 3

^THIS^ is not trolling. This is ranting or flaming.

^THIS^ is trolling. <this may be too.

^- this is not trolling. Nothing is misleading or inflammatory.

You won. You're the Donald Trump of Trolls. Just tell the other's they're fired.

^ This is though. 

Edited by Audrel

As someone who lived in Japan as recently as April this year, I can tell you first hand, many, if not most Japanese people only take half or less of their vacation time. They are legally offered 10 paid days or more, but they do not take them all because it is 'a burden on co-workers and the company'. VICE and the BBC have semi-recently done documentaries on immigration into Japan which touch on this issue, talking about how it is an undesirable work environment to prospective immigrants in professional trades like nursing, with the company-focused working conditions. It's not that the conditions are unsafe or anything, but time off is mostly a foreign concept.

So yes, from a legal standpoint, the Japanese are offered more time off. From an in-practice/cultural aspect, Americans take way more time off than the Japanese.

Japan would be a good example as to the hazards of a work-centric society that shames people for taking time off.

A generation that abstains from marriage; a majority of graduates becoming disposable temporary workers; a cultural sense of detatchment from the world; extremely high suicide rates; and a sense of guilt if one doesn't submit to the work-culture...

Japan is not in good shape.

One of the main reasons Japan mandated so much vacation time was an attempt to curb the high suicide rate. Sadly, the culture of shame prevents people from taking a day off, for fear of being ostracized.

For many, it's not that they don't want a day off. It's that a day off can be considered poisonous for one's career. Being seen as "lazy" (ie. taking a day off) is the difference between being fired and being promoted in many Japanese companies. What's worse for the businesses that promote this lifestyle is how counter-intuitive it is: The loss in productivity due to fatigue (Presenteeism) is staggering, not to mention the costs of training to replace workers who end up dying as a result of overwork. (Karoshi)

Let their mistakes be a warning to America. Take more time off. Enjoy life. It's good for society.

Edited by Dairuka
  • Like 2

Japan would be a good example as to the hazards of a work-centric society that shames people for taking time off.

A generation that abstains from marriage; a majority of graduates becoming disposable temporary workers; a cultural sense of detatchment from the world; extremely high suicide rates; and a sense of guilt if one doesn't submit to the work-culture...

Japan is not in good shape.

One of the main reasons Japan mandated so much vacation time was an attempt to curb the high suicide rate. Sadly, the culture of shame prevents people from taking a day off, for fear of being ostracized.

For many, it's not that they don't want a day off. It's that a day off can be considered poisonous for one's career. Being seen as "lazy" (ie. taking a day off) is the difference between being fired and being promoted in many Japanese companies. What's worse for the businesses that promote this lifestyle is how counter-intuitive it is: The loss in productivity due to fatigue (Presenteeism) is staggering, not to mention the costs of training to replace workers who end up dying as a result of overwork. (Karoshi)

Let their mistakes be a warning to America. Take more time off. Enjoy life. It's good for society.

Don't forget that Japan has the highest national debt per capita in the world, at something like 200% of GDP. The US is a close second at something like 167%, and the problem is only going to get worse for Japan, with all the nuclear reactors in the country being shut down, forcing a shift to gas and coal power energy production; all the fuel of which has to be imported.

Living in Japan, one can't help but frankly be shocked by a number of things; the country is unbelievably clean - I have never been somewhere so clean in my life, with no litter almost anywhere, VERY little graffiti/vandalism, very few signs of abandoned vehicles, etc. The fact that they have the lowest crime rate in the world is evident - people hold tables with their purse, for long periods. Money is left inside vehicles, laptops and cameras can be forgotten and retrieved hours later in public places. The house I lived in in Kyoto didn't even have locks on the back doors. Even in the shadiest parts of town (roughest neighbourhood in Osaka) with mentally infirm people, had women walking alone at night in nice clothes without much visible fear. Everyone is polite. Very, very polite. And finally - the whole country is tired. People fell asleep against me on the trains regularly. Any time of day, anywhere you went, you could find people nodding off. I would see people asleep on the floor of bars at 9pm, with their friends just standing around talking, not disturbing them, because between family life and the job, there simply isn't enough time to sleep. 

Japan is tired, worn out, in overwhelming debt, facing an enormous population crisis, with a very bleak future, and yet I have never met a nicer, friendlier, more helpful group of people in the world. I do wish the rest of the world could take a note from that book. Perhaps they are by-products of Japanese culture, the good and the bad, the over-dedication and abstinence from crime. 

Don't forget that Japan has the highest national debt per capita in the world, at something like 200% of GDP. The US is a close second at something like 167%, and the problem is only going to get worse for Japan, with all the nuclear reactors in the country being shut down, forcing a shift to gas and coal power energy production; all the fuel of which has to be imported.

Living in Japan, one can't help but frankly be shocked by a number of things; the country is unbelievably clean - I have never been somewhere so clean in my life, with no litter almost anywhere, VERY little graffiti/vandalism, very few signs of abandoned vehicles, etc. The fact that they have the lowest crime rate in the world is evident - people hold tables with their purse, for long periods. Money is left inside vehicles, laptops and cameras can be forgotten and retrieved hours later in public places. The house I lived in in Kyoto didn't even have locks on the back doors. Even in the shadiest parts of town (roughest neighbourhood in Osaka) with mentally infirm people, had women walking alone at night in nice clothes without much visible fear. Everyone is polite. Very, very polite. And finally - the whole country is tired. People fell asleep against me on the trains regularly. Any time of day, anywhere you went, you could find people nodding off. I would see people asleep on the floor of bars at 9pm, with their friends just standing around talking, not disturbing them, because between family life and the job, there simply isn't enough time to sleep. 

Japan is tired, worn out, in overwhelming debt, facing an enormous population crisis, with a very bleak future, and yet I have never met a nicer, friendlier, more helpful group of people in the world. I do wish the rest of the world could take a note from that book. Perhaps they are by-products of Japanese culture, the good and the bad, the over-dedication and abstinence from crime. 

Japan is great, except for the extreme racism towards anyone not Japanese.