Sign in to follow this  
Araninke

Traveling Time

Just sailed for an hour and 45 minutes real life time to my deed up North. With a gale at my back.

What's the longest you've spent traveling and is it worth it?

• Like 1

~18 hours getting back to Independence from Pristine (only took us two hours to get there) and the borders on Xanadu are wonky so if you go afk you can get kicked off at any time so I had to sit at the computer for the whole trip. It's not worth it and I'll most likely never go there again.

Edited by Aeris
  • Like 4

I once went from Pristine to center Xanadu with very low winds...

Took me like 10minutes to get to Xanadu, and in Xanadu took me 5 to 6 hours of real life time to get to my destiny.

Not my idea of fun spending hours just checking if the ship is in the right position from 20 in 20minutes :P

Sailing speeds should really be increased :D

• Like 2

A day.. (over 24 hours) or so when Xanadu first came out trying to find a perfect spot with my friend in the fog... Nightmares.

Xanadu in general makes sailing super bad for selling/buying also as people there do not like to pick up *ever* even when you convince them to meet up in like deli border it's a hassle, and if you charge extra for delivery most people find another seller. I'm speaking from experience here selling bulk goods. If there is anything I want more right now it's a boat update, make them faster or remove weather.  <_<

Edited by Niki
  • Like 4

I went from East Chaos to east Xanadu..................wait for it......................in a row boat

• Like 2

over 6 hours crossing Xanadu from the NW corner to the NE corner. I have done it numerous times since I had a deed on Indy and release. I wont be doing it again anytime soon because it got to the point where I sold my deed on Indy and disbanded my deed on Xanadu.

I wont be going back that way and will avoid Xanadu in the future until something gets done about the ridiculous travel times.

Edited by conmcb25
  • Like 1

I just went from inde to east Xanadu, back to west inde, back home to east inde. Took me 28 real life hours over 4 real days. Half the time I was in inde sailing in good winds, the whole time on Xan I was in opposing winds.

Oh, and worth it? Not even close. I will make the trip from inde to release onenlast time because I commited myself already. After that I will never do it again.

Edited by tarlynn
  • Like 1

And I thought my travel time was bad, lol! I knew there would be others who've traveled farther distances for much longer amounts of time. You really get a sense of just how huge Xanadu, and some of the other servers, really are.

You really get a sense of just how huge Xanadu, and some of the other servers, really are.

I think it reflects how useless sailing is rather than something positive about Xanadu's size to be honest. Back on JKH, before they implemented drowning, we swam everywhere and it was a lot faster and more convenient than sailing is. Then they introduced drowning but did absolutely nothing to enhance the boat experience.

• Like 2

Having lived on xanadu for some time now, I am very aware of how small the other servers are. I think that one of the reasons xanadu is so big is to make it very time consuming to travel between the old and new clusters. That way the integration of those populations is slow. The other reason is that if in the future xanadu should support all of freedom's population, it needs enough land mass which it probably just about manages. Not all coastline of course.

I have done very little sailing, but rather like the process personally. I could definitely understand how it would get tedious when having to travel long distances. I did glitch out twice on my last trip and I thought for sure my boat and inventory items would be lost at the bottom of the sea. But fortunately I pulled through both times and was able to continue on to my destination.

Having lived on xanadu for some time now, I am very aware of how small the other servers are. I think that one of the reasons xanadu is so big is to make it very time consuming to travel between the old and new clusters. That way the integration of those populations is slow. The other reason is that if in the future xanadu should support all of freedom's population, it needs enough land mass which it probably just about manages. Not all coastline of course.

Assuming that the server doesn't lag when more than 400 players log in.

I went from East Chaos to east Xanadu..................wait for it......................in a row boat

Oh dear god I'm so sorry... You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

For me, I think sending an alt in a sailing boat to Deli had to be one of the worst ones. I had intended to just semi-afk the journey while focusing on my main at my deed... but that day was a very foggy one, so I had to devote most of the six hour trip to that client... the visibility being too poor to point him at a landmark and leave him. The lag didn't help, either... the unresponsive ship steering makes me very nervous. This is partly down to my internet (out in the sticks, very old copper cable 4km from the nearest exchange!), but I have noticed a distinct drop in the lag when I get out of Xanadu.

My worst was taking a shipment of cotton up the inner sea on indy... with a cog in a light breeze from the wrong direction. Took literally 10 hours, and i would have swimmed or walked there faster (but wouldn't be able to carry the cotton...).

Xanadu E-W takes about 6 hours on a sailboat with bad wind. On a knarr with gale in the back it takes a bit over an hour.

N-S can be shortcuted through other server and shouldn't take more than 30 minutes unless you need to get to one of the inner lakes or are leading animals.

I don't own any cogs, corbitas or caravels nowadays so my nightmares are mostly over :P

Its bad. Long trips. A casual player, 2-3 hrs at a time will literally take a week to travel across Xanadu.

I think my worst was going to buy a couple corbs from someone about halfway across Xan inland a bit from the south shore. I took all the canals to get over there with a gale at my back... awesome!

Time to come back... light breeze, in my face... in the corbs... sailed about 4 tiles to the canal... only to remember when I screeched to a halt... Corbs don't fit through any of the canals... had to sail back about 6 tiles, then turn the corner, and sail all the way to the very SE corner and around to get home... toom, forever, especially steering three ships, the knarr that was way in front, one corb, and then the other that got lost on an inland branch so sailed another three tiles plus trying to figure that out where I was... I don't have a clue how many hours it was but it felt like about a month...

Just did a race... From the impalong at Misty Dragon to Kalambaka (s15). In parallel we sailed using server hop to avoid the south trip on Xana, and horse ride from Ravens Bluff at almost NE corner to same destination. The knarr was only 15 mins faster with 6 crew

buy a couple corbs 

There's your problem :P

once drove from cleveland,oh to dallas,tx  took 19 hours people said they wanted a game that mimic real life a  tad you got what you ask for lol

Edited by damine
  • Like 2

Sailing across Xanadu, point due west, breeze going 7.86 kmh ad afk on some TV shows. Come back two hours later and I'm swimming because "sharks" knocked me out ofy ship... wtf is that a feature? Did someone say " hey guys it takes too long to travel, let's make something to liven it up... let's stop the ship every so often!"

Considering the time period, everything takes a long time. Some internal server portals and some portals between servers that could accommodate large carts and wagons would be nice. 

• Like 2

You must have drifted up against the southern border. I have only seen that when you tried to cross a border that doesn't lead to another server

Longest here was 6-7 hours, with a light breeze AGAINST me, going from west-inde to south xanadu

Probably around 10 hours from the east side of Release to the northeast corner of Inde.

8-10 hours from Pristine to SW Xanadu... a whole working day lol, in a corb with bad wind.

1 hour 15 minutes, same distance (basically N or S border of Xanadu) in a knarr with gale from North. (so from aside!)