Sign in to follow this  
Berris

Nerf sickles

Seriously it can't be intended that sickles are such a great weapon, can it?  It's just silly.

• Like 2

I imagine they are actually great weapons, similar to a curved blade (scimitar)

Infact, I think more things should be able to be used better as weapons.. I imagine getting smashed with a rake would really, really hurt.

Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 8

They were already nerfed recently in some form of ninja nerf.

About 5 months ago, the glance rate on plate and scale when using a sickle literally was nonexistent. You would never glance, you can see it in many PvP videos. (or looking at any logs pre-forum ban from the notorious Chev the Dragon (self proclaimed).

Now, it has a pretty high glance rate with a high damage output, but most other weapons are preferable in many cases due to a lower glance rate, either way the dps output is still enough to be viable which is why they are still used.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 2

As long as the weapons are balanced, its nice to see some variation other than the Sword+Shield or Maul+Shield from the past 10 years.

Just need a use for the RT Shovel I found.

Edited by Outlaw
  • Like 5

sickles are still by far the best weapon in the game.

sickles are still by far the best weapon in the game.

From your perspective, you would be better off in a 1v1 using an lt shortsword or longsword for the much much higher parry rate and just a small decrease in damage output with a smaller glance rate on commonly used armors. Shortsword would be most effective for those with SOTG or saint. If you are in a group fight, you are also better off just going defensive with an lt shortsword if you get focused, or aggressive with a 2h that has fa/fb (huge axe for bigger crits, or large maul for higher avg dps.) if you aren't being focused.

From an enemy perspective, in a 1v1 with a sickle, they don't even need to have a shield, they can just beat you down with a huge axe if they can take a few hits, usually before you can get them to half because of your reduced parry rate. In a group fight, if you get focused you will die because of the reduced parry rate. Sure your DPS is high, but its no higher than any other weapon, especially not higher than an axe with the recently increased glance rates, whereas before it was much higher as you never glanced.

I'm not sure where the fact they are the best weapon in the game comes in to play? Maybe in the past? Yeah, sure, they're really good at killing horses now, and blitzing down terrible accounts of course, but any experienced group seeking to maximize efficiency and damage output while reducing damage intake would use one of the methods listed above over a sickle unless they sat at a gatehouse or had such a large number difference that they utilized to overcome lesser effective loadouts and tactics.

As for PVE, it's pretty much a joke. After 80 or so fightskill you can kill basically everything with just a carving knife if you wanted to, except maybe a champion croc or troll, which you then could if you just put on a shield. So what you actually use there isn't really relevant, and if you wanted efficiency there, you would be best off actually using a sickle or a small maul for the swing timers and damage rates, preferably with LT so you would never have to waste cotton.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 4

Sickles are good, but they arent the best at what they do.

• Like 4

Why nerf something that adds more variety to the game.

Same like they nerfed staffs which were fun to use.

• Like 3

If someone's coming at me with a sharp pointy thing and stabs me, it tends to do damage. Last I checked, sickles were rather sharp. It would need to be sharp to cut some of those sprouts effectively (on trees that only give you 1 sprout at a time.... wogic there). I don't really see how a nerf like this is needed.

And, as other people have mentioned, it gives variety.

-1. NO they are not the best,but they sure are fun :D

• Like 1

Seriously it can't be intended that sickles are such a great weapon, can it?  It's just silly.

In medieval times sickles was actually often used as weapons. Generally they'd have a chain attached to it to increase the range and deadliness of the weapon. 

Onehandedscythesareusuallycalledquotsick

They was even featured in Game of Thrones 

tumblr_m95iryMDii1rn4vvs_1.jpg

They was very powerful weapons in those times to those skilled enough to use them.

Edited by takatsuki
  • Like 2

Should just mention on the balance thread to balance weapons.

Just trained up sickle to 70 ,but sticking with large axes as main and sickle for lt.

Granted the various sickle designs intended as farming implements can also be fairly effective weapons in their own right.

Still its a matter of people making do with what's available.

An actual "sickle" sword designed for fighting ended up developing into this form, the khopesh, a design the ancient Egyptians favored.

Khopesh.png

Featuring a curved blade similar to longer katana and other blades, the overall curve became far less dramatic than a farming sickle. Made it more versatile, easier to carry and stab with; though, still primarily a slashing weapon. The hooked end had an added advantage for hooking the edge of a shield to potentially pull it out of the way and still position the blade for a stab or whatever.

Personally having a khopesh ingame would be awesome.

Edited by Klaa

I imagine they are actually great weapons, similar to a curved blade (scimitar)

Infact, I think more things should be able to be used better as weapons.. I imagine getting smashed with a rake would really, really hurt.

This really, for the sake of a vast variety of things to use as an effective (or less effective) weapon.  I mean a saw is a 2h weapon that does slaps? cmon!   Let farmerbob smash spiders with his hammers!

• Like 3

-1, i haven't finished grinding sickle yet, can we get a battle pick while we're talking about tools as weapons?

• Like 2

Why would you call for a nerf to a weapon.  I mean....seriously.  Just why?

-1.  Just no.  And I don't even use sickles.  Dual maul master race!

Why would you call for a nerf to a weapon.  

It isn't a weapon, it's a tool - that's why it's under Misc Items.  That's why.  The game has a wide variety of 'real' weapons which no one uses, yet this tool, because of a design 'flaw' is better than many of them in many situations.

I don't think the world will end if this doesn't get done, I just wanted to raise it because it's a bit of a joke that a tool is better than so many weapons so much of the time.

Maybe I should have led with "Buff carving knives" instead ... they are truly terrible weapons, even at 'high' skill.

I'm not sure how you mean by design flaw, sickles and scythes were buffed last year to become 'more viable weapons' I think were the patch note words used. They're ok I think but I do think other sharp objects should function better than they currently do

• Like 1

I just meant that things which are clearly weapons and have weapons skills associated with them seem frequently to be worse than something which is essentially a too.  Maybe it isn't so much a design flaw as a bit of design that is just outstandingly strange to me :)

• Like 1

It isn't a weapon, it's a tool - that's why it's under Misc Items.  That's why.  The game has a wide variety of 'real' weapons which no one uses, yet this tool, because of a design 'flaw' is better than many of them in many situations.

I don't think the world will end if this doesn't get done, I just wanted to raise it because it's a bit of a joke that a tool is better than so many weapons so much of the time.

Maybe I should have led with "Buff carving knives" instead ... they are truly terrible weapons, even at 'high' skill.

The very fact you had no idea that sickles could be used as a weapon (as well as a tool too) is the main reason why you should not have a suggestion post to nerf it anyway.

Get your facts straight before you fling up like this in this forum..

• Like 2