Sign in to follow this  
Berris

Nerf sickles

Excuse me?

Of course I knew it could be used as a weapon, albeit a crude and not highly effective one compared to many others.

However your insightful, polite, and well-reasoned contribution is highly valued and I thank you for it.

• Like 4

Excuse me?

Of course I knew it could be used as a weapon, albeit a crude and not highly effective one compared to many others.

However your insightful, polite, and well-reasoned contribution is highly valued and I thank you for it.

No, you didn't.  It's very clear you have no clue the devs INTENDED it to be used as a weapon.  You even called it a "design flaw".  How do you explain that?

• Like 2

There's a difference between not knowing it *could* be used as a weapon, which I did, and not knowing that the devs had deliberately rather than accidentally made it better than a lot of 'real' weapons, which I didn't and conceded that I didn't as soon as Sme pointed it out to me.

That, in some people's view, is how a civilised and productive debate happens: people suggest ideas, other people present factual rebuttals and similar contributions, and everyone learns something.  There's really no need for anyone to take any sort of confrontational tone when engaging in such a debate.

It is clear that this is somewhat more intended, if no more explicable to me, than I had originally thought - as i already said above - so I expect we can all move on with their lives now :)

Before making idiotic suggestions maybe you should go out and do a bit of research on it before you act, like maybe getting some sickles skills yourself and testing it comparatively against other one handed weapons such as longsword and medium maul/axe..

That is good advice, and such bits of it as are relevant to me personally I will take on board.

If I might offer some advice of my own: your points are undermined by your tone and needless insults.  Moderate those and you might appear to be a more productive contributor.

• Like 1

It isn't a weapon, it's a tool - that's why it's under Misc Items.  That's why.  The game has a wide variety of 'real' weapons which no one uses, yet this tool, because of a design 'flaw' is better than many of them in many situations.

I don't think that's really a reasonable reason, I mean, axes are weapons with weapon skills, and they can be used to cut down trees and chop up logs, the exact opposite of a tool with tool skill being used as a weapon

• Like 4

A saw should be a musical instrument!

...if we ever get music in this game.

Edited by Klaa

Glad to hear that there was a bit of a ninja nerf to sickles so they are no longer outright the best, I don't think that weapon balance is that much of an issue for pve as you either go for max dps (huge axe) or defensive (longsword/shortsword) or a gimmick.

PS plz don't devalue my supreme sickle

Edited by Webba
  • Like 1

Well the thing is - its a bit late to nerf it fully right now as everyones been grinding it. But lets be realistic too, people claiming other tools can be weapons and stuff.

If rakes and sickles were good combat weapons youd expect they used them i dont know how many years ago in the middle ages or whatever. Instead they used swords and axes.. 

its hard to find a good balance in a game where you want people to use different kind of weapons but you don't want the weapons to have the exact same stats. Everyone will simply pick the best weapon.. because its the best.

Best way to go by that is that youd need every weapon to be exactly the same stat-wise and block, damage, etc etc, so people can pick their own weapon type without worrying about being as good as the others... but i guess that also makes it boring in some way. 

Only way to solve that is a different combat system like mount and blade, where you would lose as a sickle because of it's range.

pve conspiracy, revenge of the farmers

THEY'RE GONNA RAID CHAOS!

nah really, they were OP, now they're not, there are plenty of more pressing balance issues at the moment

-1. Something being categorized as a tool in wurm should not be grounds for denying it serving as the effective weapon it served in RL. The sickle not only adds balanced variety to weapon combat in wurm, but is now more accurate to its ancient RL usage. 

As a sixth-degree blackbelt in internet ninjitsu, I can confirm that sickles were the greatest weapons of all time. Their short, awkwardly-shaped, paper-thin blades struck fear into the hearts of even the most hardened men, shortly before slicing through their metal armor like melted butter. They were only used by farmers, not because they were some sort of improvised weapon (can you imagine?), but because no educated mortal dared handle such devastating power, and the peasantry was too uncouth to understand the sort of destruction that their farming equipment could unleash upon the world.

If anything, please buff the sickle to be a one-shot permadeath weapon.

• Like 4

Want a new skill:

Improvised weapons

Put all non combat weapons in this catagory, like rakes, shovels, etc.

Players with a fighting below 19 get a slight buff when using, just to help them out in the beginning.

• Like 1

Sickle:
Total swings: 194
Total hits: 51
Total parried: 20
Total blocked: 101
Total glanced: 14
Total dodged: 4
Total no dmg: 0
Your hitrate: 26.2886597938144%
Your blockrate: 55.8011049723757%

VS

Large axe:
Total swings: 181
Total hits: 44
Total parried: 28
Total blocked: 90
Total glanced: 12
Total dodged: 11
Your hitrate: 24.3093922651934%
Your blockrate: 46.3917525773196%

Round 1 - Sickle 38% HP
Round 2 - Large axe 11% HP
Round 3 - Sickle 54% HP
Round 4 - Sickle 37% HP
Round 5 - Large axe 62% HP

Sickle:
Total swings: 299
Total hits: 47
Total parried: 21
Total blocked: 146
Total glanced: 20
Total dodged: 5
Your hitrate: 15.7190635451505%
Your blockrate: 65.7657657657658%

VS

Medium maul:
Total swings: 222
Total hits: 33
Total parried: 82
Total blocked: 134
Total glanced: 17
Total dodged: 16
Your hitrate: 14.8648648648649%
Your blockrate: 44.8160535117057%

Round 1 - Med maul 48% HP
Round 2 - Sickle 70% HP
Round 3 - Med Maul 40% HP
Round 4 - Sickle 40% HP
Round 5 - Med maul 43% HP

Sickle:
Total swings: 349
Total hits: 51
Total parried: 31
Total blocked: 155
Total glanced: 25
Total dodged: 13
Your hitrate: 14.6131805157593%
Your blockrate: 51.1551155115512%

VS

Long sword:
Total swings: 303
Total hits: 45
Total parried: 89
Total blocked: 173
Total glanced: 59
Total dodged: 11
Your hitrate: 14.8514851485149%
Your blockrate: 49.5702005730659%

Round 1 - Sickle 59% HP
Round 2 - Sickle 61% HP
Round 3 - Long sword 18% HP
Round 4 - Sickle 52% HP
Round 5 - Long sword 42% HP

Here is some data I got whilst on the test server. Parameters; 5 spars using all non enchanted 90ql plate, 82ql weapons and 90ql large shields in normal mode.

My numbers might not be perfectly accurate but they do give a pretty good indication as to how well each weapon performed. Feel free to gather your own data and compare it to mine.

Out of 15 spars, sickle won 8.

• Like 4

Although I have no concern either way, when looking at the sickle within Wurm it seems a very fragile tool suited to picking sprouts. When hitting a person wearing plate armor it should then easily break or shatter from the impact of a few hits. A gimmicky "weapon" at best and even a stretch to consider it being one. 

=Ayes=

Yes, this is silly. A sickle is barely usable as a weapon and it looks ridiculous. Why cant I use an anchor as a weapon if I can use a sickle?

Maybe the solution should be to re-vamp the graphics of the Sickle.

Or make an entirely different one with the same combat stats listed on the Wiki (http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Sickle) but have a separate appearance from the "Tool" sickle.

As I've mentioned before Sickles was and are used as weapons, maybe the current model is a little cheesy for a weapon style sickle.. But fix it! 

Everybody has and should have a weapon preference.

Most people on Epic use Longswords. Some use One-Handed Axe's or Maul's. Then some people use Sickles. 

Weapon Variety is nice, I'd personally love to see other "tools" implemented as weapons. 

Daggers (Carving Knives/Butchering Knives) for example. 

Not only has Sickles already been nerfed, but they're one of the only weapons which can't be made from anything but Iron. 

Steel, Ada, Glimmer, Seryll is all impossible for Sickles. 

Light mauls are little more than small hammers.  I don't think hitting someone wearing plate with a light maul would do much damage either, it would just bounce right off.  I guess we should nerf those too.

I mean where does this line of thinking end?

• Like 1

I mean where does this line of thinking end?

It's the never ending story! Enjoy it while it lasts. Oh, it never ends. Never mind...

=Ayes=

It's the never ending story! Enjoy it while it lasts. Oh, it never ends. Never mind...

=Ayes=

Neverending Story!!! My Childhood! =D

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3khTntOxX-k

• Like 3