Sign in to follow this  
Clatius

Newbie Rope?

Adding crude axe sounds reasonable.  Also allowing sword and carving knife to pick (low ql) sprouts sounds reasonable.

What about the newbie sword?

It always seemed grossly underpowered compared to a player-crafted iron shortsword. Then that just may be due to the low ql, five is pretty down there.

Armor and weapons?  I think keeping it the same works fine.  Something to work towards.

You have, to my knowledge, bought most of your characters with skills so I'll give a brief summary of the newbie gear:

It sucks

Oh how it sucks

It be so terrible

Worse

So much worse

• Like 2

If anything, get rid of the newbie sword+shield.

At least then people wont be given false hope lol.

Why not give newbies a 20ql 2-handed weapon of their choice? It's not like it would hurt the economy or anything and it would actually be useful in killing the weaker monsters.

I don't see a rope being particularly useful now that you can forage for wemp. You can craft a rope as quickly as any other iron tool now, unlike the old days where you had to grow it. Growing wemp with 1 farming, meaning you only got back 1-2 wemp which you needed to replant etc It would take a minimum of a few days before you could make a rope. Now though you can have one in half an hour.

I don't think a sickle would help much either.

With 1 skill, you're going to fail planting 5-10 sprouts for every one you plant. Most 'real' newbies, not just alts, probably aren't going to bother with that anyhow.

Edited by Outlaw

You have, to my knowledge, bought most of your characters with skills so I'll give a brief summary of the newbie gear:

It sucks

Oh how it sucks

It be so terrible

Worse

So much worse

true, I have bought most, but my first alts, I skilled up and experienced the joys of fighting as a noob.  It was one of my great motivators, to learn how to make a better sword, shield and some real armor.  In fact, only a couple of my acquired accounts had over 70 FS and just barely over.  I think grinding body stats through crafts and gathering skills work is at least as useful for fighting as actual fight skilling is.

Adding crude axe sounds reasonable.  Also allowing sword and carving knife to pick (low ql) sprouts sounds reasonable.

What about the newbie sword?

I like it. As you can see from some people's lists here, they would give the newbie everything they need to be self reliant right off the get go. Most of us here did just fine by foraging a little, dieing a couple times, and figuring out how stuff worked. The only thing that I found to really be much of a pain as a brand new player, was finding iron, and even then, I wouldn't give that to new players so much as say, improving the ways you can find ore. 

• Like 1

As a new player, I quite enjoyed having to "scramble around" somewhat to get my basics sorted - it helped me gain some vital basic knowledge and was very immersive. 

I really like the idea of giving a pelt to new players, however. I think for many newbies that particular item is quite out of reach at the start, unless given to them by a kind, more experienced player.

+1 to cutting sprouts with other blades

A lantern or even a torch would be much better than a rope. Mines be dark. Mines also be where the iron for nails is.

A lantern or even a torch would be much better than a rope. Mines be dark. Mines also be where the iron for nails is.

They get a newbie light for x amount of hours

They get a newbie light for x amount of hours

True. It lasts 24 hours. But a torch is better than a rope. It's going be a long while before they can ride anything. It's not going to be a long while before they are mining in darkness.

The most important things for a noob are ones that they can't get for themselves that are needed to work up the tech ladder, build shelter and secure food. Weapons are fairly useless but the short sword they have now is ok if they must have something. So most of the things they currently get work. Like Wormhole said, a PELT. Forget the rope, give them something to improve with. When you're a noob you run into a wall making things because they have no way to get past the pelt. You can't kill anything for it because anything that gives a pelt will kill a noob. 

The reason for something to cut sprouts with is because noobs tend to deforest anyplace they come to and can't replant anything. Not saying they will if they could but they have no choice. And let them use the sickle to harvest grains. That's what it was invented for in the first place. Maybe a hit on the amount gathered compared to a scythe. Not that grains are all that useful in the game, they kinda are not really needed.

I used to just build a fire for light. That's what noobs do now. 

To be honest, it's really a lot easier being a noob now. It used to take forever to find things like wemp, cotton and vegies. Now it's not a problem at all.  And making stuff is a whole lot easier too what with the fails being made not harsh at all till you need a pelt. So a pelt seems to make the most sense. 

Edited by Clatius
  • Like 1

I think the newbie rope is a great addition for new players. With this they can lead various animals for fun and enjoyment to have them as their own. Even if they just want some livestock of horses, cows, bulls, pigs and chickens to graze around on their farms. They can even try to tame dogs for pets, which need to be led too, so this rope is a nice little perk for them.

Yes, a sickle would also be another good item to add for newbies as well. Maybe even modify some existing newbie item to pick sprouts with, as some have suggested.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

It sucks

Oh how it sucks

It be so terrible

Worse

So much worse

Thank you for the laugh  :lol:

It may sound really stupid, but the potential to have a dog by my campfire as a noob is something I really wanted.  It's part of the initial role-play and immersion.  Yes, I can order it along without a rope, but still.  I think new players come in with different notions and intentions than veterans with new alts.  Sure, a vet knows how useful a sickle is, but does the brand new player care?  Question in my mind is, what is it THEY want?

I also think the initial struggle is something people look for in this genre of game.  Ok, not endless failures in menial tasks, that seems to frustrate people, but the complexity and depth of the crafting system... one item leading and feeding into another, I think that's really a wonderful introduction to what Wurm is, and what it can be for someone long term.  Too much, too early detracts from the pleasure of discovering just how amazingly cool this new game they found really is.  Just mho.

Also, I do really think it should be made more obvious that cows can be ridden.  No, they're not fast, but you can keeping moving even when all stamina is lost.  That is a huge bonus to the new player.

Personally, I don't think it ever occurred to me to try and ride a cow when I started out.  Is it in the tutorial?

Definite +1 to making it possible to grab sprouts with a hatchet or small sword.  Sickle could be for the more professional.  If I'm in the woods and my axe can't cut a sprout, I'm in trouble.  Not in the habit of hiking with a small sword though, so that I guess I can't speak to.

• Like 2

It may sound really stupid, but the potential to have a dog by my campfire as a noob is something I really wanted.  It's part of the initial role-play and immersion.  Yes, I can order it along without a rope, but still.  I think new players come in with different notions and intentions than veterans with new alts.  Sure, a vet knows how useful a sickle is, but does the brand new player care?  Question in my mind is, what is it THEY want?

Yeah. Sitting by the campfire with a four legged pelt I can't have cuz the bloody dog will kill me if I try and kill it. 'Wish I have that pelt so I could imp some stuff. How I hate that dog'. Real cozy.  :P

On second thought, maybe I could tie a shard around it's neck and lead it out into the water...hmmm.

Edited by Clatius
  • Like 1

rope... lol, shield needs attention.  I ground Fight SKill from 1.00 to 24 with a longsword and the newbie shield.... never blocked once, shield is still 10.00ql..

True. It lasts 24 hours. But a torch is better than a rope. It's going be a long while before they can ride anything. It's not going to be a long while before they are mining in darkness.

The rope is far more useful for leading animals around, than actually riding. To that end, I would say the rope is more useful than the torch. As a new player, I just made campfires where I needed light. Actually making a ropetool to get rope on the other hand, was a more difficult task.

Hey, just give them a box of large and small nails. 

• Like 1

Rope is fantastic newbie tool. I guess you are worried they could, god forbid, take away some wild breedable animals from you that you used to hoard in such ridiculous numbers that noone could even dream of starting a farm unless they paid you? Because I see no justified reason to be upset about new players getting rope.

I for one am soo glad for this change. I restarted in Wurm several times over the years and despite loving the game, eventually burned out. I cant care less about getting better shield honestly, but I always wanted to start  a farm/ranch and rope used to be such a pain in the ass to get. Remember having to grow wemp before I could even dream of any, dont remember being able to get wemp from foraging/botanizing like nowadays on Xanadu.  Just seeds. And even after I managed to get that rope, there were just so little domestic animals spawning in the world due to established hoarders, that I was just wasting my time hoping to not have to pay someone for greedily abusing animal limit.

Another time we settled on a beautiful island, but realized too late getting anything there is actually impossible. 

Fast forward getting back to Wurm, trying Xanadu with a friend. Rope made me instantly go "whoa, yes please, best change ever". By the time we found a lovely place to settle, we amassed quite a nice little farm and its growing steadily, while we still  live in a cave until we completely terrarform the area. It helps that Xanadu is really overcrowded with fauna left and right.

He already subbed to Wurm and I feel very motivated to do it aswell, because this time around I feel like Im able to accomplish what I always wanted.

Besides, rope is fun, who cares if you are slower riding a cow, it is fun experience. Sometimes its good to have a fun you know...not just sit on your deed obsessing over quality and efficiency of everything you make or do.

Or lets say you are fresh in wurm, completely alone..why not get a dog to keep you company? If that inspires newbies to stay on their own, figure things out themselves and not feel completely lonely doing it,  I am happy for it. And why? Because I dont find rushing to join a village the optimal experience for starting out in Wurm personally. Frankly, I find it rather boring, it loses the charm of figuring the survival part of Wurm and building up everything from zero up. Which is the most satisfying part of it.

Obviously, this is just one opinion, from someone new and not new at all at the same time.

Edit: Also I dont see how anyone can, by mistake, steal your horses/animals if you have them secured, as you should. If you dont, well, let me be harsh and say..your fault for not taking care of that. Unless some major change happened in a last year or so when  it comes to deeds and pens that I might  not know about.

Edited by Nyct
  • Like 3

if you make 5 new accounts, then trade all the ropes to one of them, you can go cut some trees and make a catapult because the only non wooden part is the rope :D

This is an incredibly useless topic

A) While sure you could make an arguement that the mounted combat buff can help a newbi kill a chicken or allow him to be more mobile when he is overweight its simply not NEEDED or vital, its a waist of the Developers time!

B) More or less newbi tools are pointless, the first random person that kills you will make you drop it all because newbi tools drop on a pvp death???  (WHY)  Oh right respawn and attacking of Premium Geared players over and over!

-  So because a Free Alt can exploit a game mechanic we make newbi items drop on death???

- How about fixing said exploit another way and NOT have newbi tools drop on death!  Because REAL newbi's need there crappy tools!  

C) While most newbi items hold no GREAT value to a Veteran player a Newbi rope that is with them everytime they die to a NoGump or Drakespirit would be VERY VALUABLE and thus WHY it should NOT EXIST..... (Because if the Veteran didnt have a reason to kill the random new player, just incase he is a spy alt, the need to get himself a new BLESSED Rope could actually serve as a reason for even the more tolerant Veterans on PvP servers to kill a lowbi...

So to summarize, the development team has waisted time to paint a target on new players heads instead of fixing the one major flaw in newbi tools (They drop on PvP death)

Additionally the crowd of people that like to abuse alts will no doubt make Freemium alts over and over to create a Catapult....  Something a Freemium alt could never imagine because the aquiring of rope (Rope Tool / Skill / Wemp ) Was highly unlikely but the rest of the parts needed for a catapult are quite easy!  So now we will have the typical armys of Free alts actually armed with Damaging Catapults>????????

Seriously Dev team???

Edited by sulfurblade
  • Like 1

Hmm so what you say is only the newbie sword should be droppable in pvp death, not the rest?

• Like 2

You need 21 strength to use a catapult. A freebie can't use it. You need 20.5 to steal a horse with it. Again, not for free. If they are no drop, would they also not be able to be looted when you kill them as they would res back with their rope? I don't pvp so that's an honest question.

Hmm so what you say is only the newbie sword should be droppable in pvp death, not the rest?

Zcul I think that would be an excellent idea!  

Rope is fantastic newbie tool. I guess you are worried they could, god forbid, take away some wild breedable animals from you that you used to hoard in such ridiculous numbers that noone could even dream of starting a farm unless they paid you? Because I see no justified reason to be upset about new players getting rope.

I for one am soo glad for this change. I restarted in Wurm several times over the years and despite loving the game, eventually burned out. I cant care less about getting better shield honestly, but I always wanted to start  a farm/ranch and rope used to be such a pain in the ass to get. Remember having to grow wemp before I could even dream of any, dont remember being able to get wemp from foraging/botanizing like nowadays on Xanadu.  Just seeds. And even after I managed to get that rope, there were just so little domestic animals spawning in the world due to established hoarders, that I was just wasting my time hoping to not have to pay someone for greedily abusing animal limit.

Another time we settled on a beautiful island, but realized too late getting anything there is actually impossible. 

Fast forward getting back to Wurm, trying Xanadu with a friend. Rope made me instantly go "whoa, yes please, best change ever". By the time we found a lovely place to settle, we amassed quite a nice little farm and its growing steadily, while we still  live in a cave until we completely terrarform the area. It helps that Xanadu is really overcrowded with fauna left and right.

He already subbed to Wurm and I feel very motivated to do it aswell, because this time around I feel like Im able to accomplish what I always wanted.

Besides, rope is fun, who cares if you are slower riding a cow, it is fun experience. Sometimes its good to have a fun you know...not just sit on your deed obsessing over quality and efficiency of everything you make or do.

Or lets say you are fresh in wurm, completely alone..why not get a dog to keep you company? If that inspires newbies to stay on their own, figure things out themselves and not feel completely lonely doing it,  I am happy for it. And why? Because I dont find rushing to join a village the optimal experience for starting out in Wurm personally. Frankly, I find it rather boring, it loses the charm of figuring the survival part of Wurm and building up everything from zero up. Which is the most satisfying part of it.

I like this!

+1 to making all sharp tools to work as a sickle, but with quality capped at something like 20ql.

I think the newbie pottery bowl should be able to contain water and should not be lost on death. Clay is very sparse on the older servers so making a pottery jar isn't always a good task for brand new players. An even better option be to make it possible to "dig for clay" on dirt tiles using the same mechanics as rummaging for iron on rock tiles. Even with low chance and low quality this would be great for new players.

Edited by DKSprocket
  • Like 3