Sign in to follow this  
Clatius

Newbie Rope?

So now noobs get a rope. Exactly why do they need a rope? So they can hang themselves when they get frustrated? Oh right. So they can lead an animal back to camp to kill it for food. But then the mature cow they lead back to camp kills them because they don't have the fight skill to do the job. Maybe so they can tame a useless pet and lead it around. Why not give them something people have been asking about for a very long time. Give them a sickle, not a rope. Sheesh.  :rolleyes:

• Like 6

lol the newbie sword is a death sentence

• Like 4

lol the newbie sword is a death sentence

But but but... Aeris? They also have a 20QL small shield! 

• Like 1

But but but... Aeris? They also have a 20QL small shield! 

Haha yeah, that shield is invaluable! Especially since shields were deemed in need of a nerf. I had an alt wearing a shield for a year. Fs is at 70 and the skill for the shield never reached 2. Reading the fightlogs made it evident it wasn't even raising its arms in order to block. :P The catch 22 where you actually need skill with the shield in order to gain any.

Good luck newbies lol

• Like 3

It's good to know that I can lead horses I can't ride now as a newb! Just what I always wanted!

rope and  should always have been in a noob pack.  lead chickens, cows, sheep bison.   all needed for food and riding

I do hope they are adding a sickle also.

• Like 1

Instead of giving the new player one more item to weigh/slow them down. Let any bladed item work to pick sprouts at capped ql.

• Like 11

You can ride a cow.

Because I totally want to ride a cow at 8km/hr instead of being on foot travelling over 17km/hr....

• Like 2

Instead of giving the new player one more item to weigh/slow them down. Let any bladed item work to pick sprouts at capped ql.

Like how you can gather reed, but its capped at 20ql if you dont use a sickle.

I was once heavily injured and escaped on a bull. It was slow but it saved my life.

More importantly, riding a cow looks silly and can be fun.

I was once heavily injured and escaped on a bull. It was slow but it saved my life.

More importantly, riding a cow looks silly and can be fun.

All I'm saying is that the first thing a lot of newbies are going to want to try to do is ride a horse. Not a cow. Not a bull (and they can't ride a bull even). While it can be fun to look silly on a cow, what does that do to help newbs survive?

My initial post was meant to be a joke to do with what a newbie will want to do first with that rope. Did it go over your head?

Personally, I don't really care.

Edited by Lotus1

My initial post was meant to be a joke to do with what a newbie will want to do first with that rope. Did it go over your head?

Probably.

+1 rope!  +1 what Ohana says for any blade picking sprouts.

At least they didn't just give them a pliers ;)

You continue asking for sickle for few years...

...they add a fork for newbies.

• Like 1

Jokes and sarcasm aside, the rope is incredibly helpful and a very welcome addition to the newbie pack, personally I'd consider it more useful to a new player than a sickle. 

• Like 1

5-speed cows actually move along quite well...

Ok so with the rope, now, besides improvements to the tools and weapons, newbies need:

water skin
oil lamp or some personal lamp
sickle
butchering knife
satchel ?

cotton
tar
farmer's salve
healing covers

That's what I try to give all of mine.

My concern about giving the new player a rope is theft of horses by accident! Enough griefing is going on already then to give misguided judgement to a new  player to fall trap into. I guess it's cool if that little bit about horse thieving is mentioned in the tutorial as it's deemed wrong if it's still considered wrong. Im out of the loop a little on this subject matter. I know we no longer have a rule policy to ask if a ship belongs to anyone before conducting salvage rights. Has posting lost horses changed as well? I thought if you find a horse you should list it before taking and assuming it's yours but maybe that's changed. I know spawned horses don't matter but how a new player to tell the difference one way or another? As someone else mentioned why it matter when a new player can't ride a horse unless (A) he has the skill set to do so. (B ) Is premium to ride a horse ?

Edited by Yamuliss
  • Like 2

All newbies are overloaded, they need something to carry them. Like a cow.

Edited by Cecci

Its a nice addition to the newb set. Granted there's other tools that might be nicer. Not to mention other toolsets... for example I never quite understood why a crude ax was never added.

The rope will be significantly nicer when one starts out on a fresh map with no pre-existing player infrastructure, especially farms. Sure its a lot easier nowadays to rummage around for wemp and cotton.

EDIT: Agreed shield skill gain at low levels could use a boost. Not to mention the newbie sword.

Edited by Klaa

Its a nice addition to the newb set. Granted there's other tools that might be nicer. Not to mention other toolsets... for example I never quite understood why a crude ax was never added.

The rope will be significantly nicer when one starts out on a fresh map with no pre-existing player infrastructure, especially farms. Sure its a lot easier nowadays to rummage around for wemp and cotton.

EDIT: Agreed shield skill gain at low levels could use a boost. Not to mention the newbie sword.

Adding crude axe sounds reasonable.  Also allowing sword and carving knife to pick (low ql) sprouts sounds reasonable.

What about the newbie sword?

• Like 3

why the crude axe? Doesn't the hatchet do everything you need?

pick, carving knife, hatchet, saw, CHISEL, shovel, rope, flint/steel, compass, backpack, tent, rope, PELT.

Allow other bladed tools to pick sprouts.

Armor and weapons?  I think keeping it the same works fine.  Something to work towards.

I'd consider adding a built in lock for the tent.  I think it important for new players to be thinking of locks on day one.

my 2 cents.

• Like 1