Sign in to follow this  
Docterchese

Artifact Changes Review

Collectively, its been said that the test server should be altered for regular players to test the artifacts, then for a constructive discussion to follow on the artifacts.

That is and should be all thats needed on this topic, rather than pushing for changes saying its under or over powered without any proof for all sides to observe.

• Like 5

Collectively, its been said that the test server should be altered for regular players to test the artifacts, then for a constructive discussion to follow on the artifacts.

That is and should be all thats needed on this topic, rather than pushing for changes saying its under or over powered without any proof for all sides to observe.

Yep... and and the devs also need to distinctly understand we need to be able to setup characters with something approaching what you may find in actual conditions, and let us set characters up, including equipment and enchants, priest settings, etc.    While testing the artifacts is all well and good, there is a lot of things that compound in a character's setup, and equipment as well as the priest passive/active bonuses.   So much so, I'd have to say any base testing of the artifacts themselves without taking that into account both invalidates the testing and really makes it kinda pointless.     

Yep... and and the devs also need to distinctly understand we need to be able to setup characters with something approaching what you may find in actual conditions, and let us set characters up, including equipment and enchants, priest settings, etc.    While testing the artifacts is all well and good, there is a lot of things that compound in a character's setup, and equipment as well as the priest passive/active bonuses.   So much so, I'd have to say any base testing of the artifacts themselves without taking that into account both invalidates the testing and really makes it kinda pointless.     

You can set stats, you can spawn whatever gear, you can/could be whatever priest.

I don't see how enchants would matter at all as far as artifacts go.

The test server should be fine, the only problem is the inability to get the artifacts.

Lets face the facts

1. No matter who holds them, as long as  the current recharge mechanic is in place (doesn't matter if it's 1,7,30 or 90 days between recharges), arties will always stay in the hands of the kingdom able to field more players. Since higher numbers have an advantage in PVP, you will see a snowballing effect. Proof of this  in the last 5 years on Chaos is clear as day:  JK kingdom had the arties for ages and now MR kingdom held the artifacts for ages and it's not looking  to change anytime soon without dev intervention.
  2. Their usage (in PVP) has seen a sharp decline since the changes.

From there the question is

What are the dev's aiming for with Artifacts? 

For example, if the goal is to have more of a dynamic in the PMK's that hold the arties

A good solution would be to use the Unique spawn mechanic, where at random points in time, a random artifact gets put into the ground again at a random points on the map. This will still favor the PMK holding the most land, but it would give small PMK's a chance of getting their hands on it as well. 

If the goal is to see more usage

Make it so that if an artifact has not been used for X ammount of time, it has a higher chance of going back into the ground. This avoids the stockpiling of artifacts in a big foritfied deed and encourages players to use/PVP with them. 

If the goal is to increase their strength/power

Have them be stronger in the hands of their respective priests/champs. Mag priests/Mag champs get a bonus when using mag arties, Fo priest and Champs on using Fo arties, etc. 

If the goal is not specified, all you'll get is a thread filled with armchair game-developers saying how they think it should work, which may or may not be biased by their experiences in game. 

So wurm-devs, what is the goal of artifacts?

Edited by ThisIsRaffeh
  • Like 4

Also will be nice add stealing persons in sleep. More items will change owner globaly.

I would second ThisIsRaffeh in asking what is the devs aim for arti's?  And having been at Tyre I don't remember trying to blame that loss on the orb.  MR got caught up in a well timed counterattack, there was more issue with one of our champs losing connection just as they pushed but I doubt that would have really changed the fight results.  There was shock when the orb backfired I don't think that had been seen before but im not allowed to use them so I cant swear to that.  If the aim is to promote pvp though why not let the artifacts only be charged when the user gets on kills 1 charge per kill or something similar?

I would second ThisIsRaffeh in asking what is the devs aim for arti's? And having been at Tyre I don't remember trying to blame that loss on the orb. MR got caught up in a well timed counterattack, there was more issue with one of our champs losing connection just as they pushed but I doubt that would have really changed the fight results. There was shock when the orb backfired I don't think that had been seen before but im not allowed to use them so I cant swear to that. If the aim is to promote pvp though why not let the artifacts only be charged when the user gets on kills 1 charge per kill or something similar?

Alt charging is why :(

Surely checking that target was not in kingdom BUT in a PMK would solve most of that?  How many times would spy/alt battery Billybob be killed before the duped kingdom dumped the toon?

• Like 1

Fair enough. 

Now, care to offer a counter proposal other than the flat 'no' that you keep throwing around?

There's a number of people very quick to just -1 my suggestions and say why, but noone offers a counter proposal.  Is your issue with the AoE's or just the fact that they're instant.

Would having the AoE's have the same cast time as their priest casted equivalents be a suitable copromise, or do you have other abilities in mind for them

Also, the only real negative comments from my suggestions seem to be the weapons (hammer, scepter, sword, orb). 

So for now, shall we see if we can collectively come up with a suggestion that the PvP community at large can mostly agree upon for these four artifacts, and then move on to the more utility ones?

Give each kingdom specific artifacts. Each having specific use and no one can complain. Fun for all and more use in pvp.

don't wanna get banned by your trolling.

Edited by demondan

Can artifacts be used on test server? I would comment here if it was possible to atleast use them on test server to know what they are capable. I haven't used an artifact so I don't know what they are capable of.
The one time someone used an artifact on me was during challenge, where my 30-40 or so body account lost 80+% health in plateset and around 50-60%  health in scale set by the same artifact (sceptre of ascension). I believe it was used by someone of not very high body stats.
So, the damage is pretty good I would say. 

For god's sake, if they're ever reset again, actually spawn them randomly and not using roughly the same areas as the past 8 years, give or take

Resetting them is out of the question.

Nothing is out of the question Redd.

I would like to see what the team can conclude from this thread now and give us some feedback on what their steps are now.

Resetting them is out of the question

It wasn't out of the question when they were changed previously, why should it be now?

They were never reset when changed. When Madt Emailed Rolf and asked for a change they were not reset. Nor were they reset when made fantastic. Resetting them is out of the question.

I'm not sure why resetting is even on the table for chaos.  If/when the artifacts get buffed, they will be buffed to BELOW their original levels when MR originally had 12/12.

So, lets say artifacts were 10/10, now they are 4/10, say they get buffed to 7/10.  We get artifacts reset because they arent as good as they used to be?

That doesnt make sense.

Can someone teleport with artifacts? If yes, then that should not be allowed. People should have to go to recharge an artifact and come back on boat/horse all the way. Going to recharge and teleporting to town would be bad (If that is possible). It would highly reduce the chances of artifacts changing hands.

Can someone teleport with artifacts? If yes, then that should not be allowed. People should have to go to recharge an artifact and come back on boat/horse all the way. Going to recharge and teleporting to town would be bad (If that is possible). It would highly reduce the chances of artifacts changing hands.

Afaik you can teleport with artifacts but idk who does that as its easier atm on chaos to run on foot then spend 1k karma on a teleport. The teleport could have been changed as i remember that some people did teleport to a wardeed with a artifact not the other way around.

Edited by Wulfgarr

No wulfgar, you cannot. The recent changes removed all forms of teleportation from the artifacts including respawning with them.

• Like 1

No wulfgar, you cannot. The recent changes removed all forms of teleportation from the artifacts including respawning with them.

Thank you, was not aware of that :)

less religion, more magic please ty and 99% of people who play wurm dont care about artifacts because they dont get to see them ever. Just make sure whatever their power is, they dont make the life of the 99% missrable. Wurm PVP is to much elitistic as it is.

• Like 1