Sign in to follow this  
Ripsipiirakka

Fix the damn PvE rules!

As of lately on PvE servers there has been plenty of occations when some player has just come to destroy and steal everything he can. Bashing into horse pens killing everything in them, making shacks around deeds to prevent them from expanding etc. Now i remember the better times even a bit over a year ago when this wasn't so usual. So how about devs or even someone fix the rules or give more power to GM's handle things according to their own sense of justice.

This has not happened to me thankfully but i've seen plenty of paying players whom this has happened to. And its pushing not only them but any newcomer who see the same stuff happening away from wurm. Something has to be done to the PvE rules and fast before this whole thing spirals out of control.

Since when did PvE mean you can grief people all you want ruining the game for everyone?

• Like 14

This is an open world game with a large player base compared to its limited number of volunteer GMs. There are very clear rules around "deed it or it isn't yours", and extreme griefing is investigated and punished. Pretend you're in charge of Wurm. How do you solve this problem?

• Like 2

Pretend you're in charge of Wurm. How do you solve this problem?

1. Find out about a griefing/harassment/stalking.

2. Tell the person nicely they are now on notice, the next time is an IP ban.

3. If they do it again, IP ban and announce.

4. Reap the benefit of other asshats understanding there are consequences.

• Like 17

Sure there's always room for improvement, and the current pve rules are the result of years of tinkering and experimentation.

Where would you say are the weak-spots, loopholes, or out right gaps?

Now how would you recommend they be fixed?

No one cares! People have the attitude in this game that anyone can do anything to anyone at any time. Doesn't pay to be nice. Doesn't help to do whats right. One the reasons why im leaving the game. Game not what it once was. The bad  people control the community and the game as a whole from my perspective. The rules will never be fixed to serve new players and end griefing as a whole.

• Like 2

if there is another thread like this i'm going to make the entire state of California go under the sea

• Like 6

1. Find out about a griefing/harassment/stalking.

2. Tell the person nicely they are now on notice, the next time is an IP ban.

3. If they do it again, IP ban and announce.

4. Reap the benefit of other asshats understanding there are consequences.

1. That already happens through /support. I don't know what you mean by "find out". Be all-knowing?

2. For every single offense?

3. IP bans are a last resort and do not prevent people from coming back playing Wurm. They only make things worse.

4. You're going to post the results of every single support case to the public? Ignoring why that's a terrible idea, you've just given the volunteer GMs less time to focus on their real jobs.

• Like 1

Lol youre still calling perfectly acceptable actions "griefing". Bashing undeeded enclosures is perfectly fine, if you want to protect things deed and lock it.

• Like 1

1. That already happens through /support. I don't know what you mean by "find out". Be all-knowing?

2. For every single offense?

3. IP bans are a last resort and do not prevent people from coming back playing Wurm. They only make things worse.

4. You're going to post the results of every single support case to the public? Ignoring why that's a terrible idea, you've just given the volunteer GMs less time to focus on their real jobs.

1. /support would be the main way.

2. Every offense like this:

Play Nice Or We Will Rip Your Heart Out (griefing)

Definition: Activities that are not constructive and with deliberate intent to do harm to others.

A ) You may not block access to deeds, merchants, or structures not belonging to you.

B ) You may not call guards to kill penned animals on deeds you are not a citizen of. (They ain't hurting you)

3. It's a start. How would it make something worse?

4. Not every single support case. Griefers being removed. Which will result in less griefers needing to be removed. I guess I'm not being clear enough - I'd love for the GMs to never have to sort out any griefing cases. They've already got enough to do.

• Like 2

Fix the damn whining first.

Offer a solution or stay away from the forums.

I would suggest making deeds, roads and waterways the only protected constructions. This means the ability to bash undeeded houses.

As for the referenced killing of so many horses - which had nothing to do with bashing but was done by an alliance member - there are rules against that kind of griefing that just need to be enforced. In a clear cut case like that deleting the offending character would seem quite appropriate to me. Temporary bans (account or IP) would probably be the most common punishments.

Whatever happened to that horse hater by the way?

Whatever happened to that horse hater by the way?

I'm not entirely sure, but I heard the character he did this griefing on was actually a kind of "shared" alt, where more than one person could log into it. Which to me makes the action that much worse, that he wouldn't care about a shared community resource that other people had invested time into. So for that reason, I'd feel bad if it was banned, but I also guess there's no way to prove this sort of thing for other offenses - like everyone could claim it was a shared alt if they got busted. IDK, it's just a sad story, and this sort of thing is making me tired.

I don't want to have to play in fear that players can use or manipulate a GM's personal sense of justice get other players in trouble.

I don't want to have to question every action I do off deed as to whether some player might consider it griefing. If a player feels its griefing its likely he or she will start debate about it between me, the dude and a GM.

• Like 1

I don't want to have to play in fear that players can use or manipulate a GM's personal sense of justice get other players in trouble.

I don't want to have to question every action I do off deed as to whether some player might consider it griefing. If a player feels its griefing its likely he or she will start debate about it between me, the dude and a GM.

Oh I agree. I'm talking about obvious cases of deliberate attempts to harm and cause unhappiness. Plus, I think one warning is warranted. It's the serial griefers that need to be fixed, not disagreements about how an area should look.

Sure there's always room for improvement, and the current pve rules are the result of years of tinkering and experimentation.

Where would you say are the weak-spots, loopholes, or out right gaps?

Now how would you recommend they be fixed?

One sample of that "tinkering and experimentation"... Enclosure rule... It was removed, because GMs were overwhelmed by it. The fact, that GMs were overwhelmed by it is proof enough, that it was needed and it caused serious problems in game( land disputes, theft, griefing etc). So it was removed, but the problems didn't disappear. Yes, GMs can now tell people, that "It is not our problem", but for players it didn't solve anything. It made it even worse actually, as enclosure rule was widely respected, because it could bring you a punishment. So basically removing that rule has made such cases happen even more often and it has escalated the problem for players.

Actually I am all fine with lightening the load of GMs, but if they remove a rule and tell the playerbase to deal with griefing/theft themselves, then they have to give actual tools ingame that CAN help to deal with it, not just tell "suck it up, not our problem".

• Like 2

I'm not entirely sure, but I heard the character he did this griefing on was actually a kind of "shared" alt, where more than one person could log into it. Which to me makes the action that much worse, that he wouldn't care about a shared community resource that other people had invested time into. So for that reason, I'd feel bad if it was banned, but I also guess there's no way to prove this sort of thing for other offenses - like everyone could claim it was a shared alt if they got busted. IDK, it's just a sad story, and this sort of thing is making me tired.

The fact that an alt is shared should remove NONE of the consequences or lessen them by any means. By sharing a character, you are accepting the actions of anyone else playing that character, and inherently accept the consequences of them on that character. Look at the rules of games like Eve Online; it doesn't matter if it was your son or little brother or your friend who committed the offence on the character, the character is getting banned. If CC went at ALL soft on account sharers, the behavior would be encouraged.

• Like 4

making shacks around deeds to prevent them from expanding etc.

We should totally ban anyone who has ever built a shack in an attractive neighbourhood in Wurm. As the OP notes, we all know that such behaviour was completely unheard of until a year ago, and not a single veteran of the game has ever been found guilty in such a hideous crime. A sweeping ban action will therefore only kill off all the unwanted griefing new players that we all despise and hate .

/end sarcasm

Enough with the pitchforks please, this wave of whining and entitlement is getting totally out of hand. Just play and enjoy the game for what it is  :)

Edited by Cista
  • Like 6

/end sarcasm

Enough with the pitchforks please, this wave of whining and entitlement is getting totally out of hand. Just play and enjoy the game for what it is  :)

"Whining and entitlement"

Translation:  It's not what I want so time for childish name-calling.

If you want thieving so bad, go to PvP where players can bring consequences about.  If you are from PvP, why the %#"$% are you in this thread about PvE rules?

Potential profit loss or just being a pain for the sake of it?

• Like 7

I fail to see where he resorted to "childish name-calling"

If you want thieving so bad, go to PvP where players can bring consequences about.  If you are from PvP, why the %#"$% are you in this thread about PvE rules?

Yes let the hate flow through you! Your transformation is nearly complete.

Lolol you're the first and only person in this topic who starts with personal attacks. Accusing other people of childish name-calling indeed. Can't tell if deliberate troll or just "special".

Translation: It's not what I want so time for childish name-calling.

If you want thieving so bad, go to PvP where players can bring consequences about. If you are from PvP, why the %#"$% are you in this thread about PvE rules?

99% of pvpers pve. Its the bulk of the game lad whether you like the input or not

• Like 3