Sign in to follow this  
Klaa

Real Words of Advice to New Players

• Read the Wikipedia. Yes, the info can be so-so; however, its still invaluable.

Ask questions. ALOT. Just pester everybody... especially the CAs. The masochists actually volunteered for this.

Never click on a link posted by Glory. EVER.

If you have to ask, the answer is, "No, you cant kill it."

Steal everything not nailed down, then come back for the nails.

Its perfectly fine to spam Enki with pms.

• Like 23

Good thread Klaa. +1

Don't steal though -1 there.

Edited by Niki

• Its perfectly fine to spam Enki with pms.

To do this step, type /tell Enki 'Message'.

If he doesn't reply, try typing /support then typing 'Stop ignoring me Enki...I know you can hear me'.

Don't forget, you can ctrl+c to copy text then ctrl+v to paste it again. It'll help save you from getting RSI while trying to contact him.

(Not to be held responsible for any misuse of the above information. Information provided purely for educational purposes)

Edited by Outlaw
  • Like 4

You started out well.... but... *frowns on shenanigans*

• Like 8

• Steal everything not nailed down, then come back for the nails.

Best advice you can tell a noob, 100% :P

• Like 1

Ask questions. ALOT. Just pester everybody... especially the CAs. The masochists actually volunteered for this.

Hey..hey...I volunteered for the cookies..    :huh:

Edited by Firestarter
  • Like 2

Hey..hey...I volunteered for the cookies..    :huh:

What cookies?

How do I craft cookies?

Do I need to be premium?

Can you give me some?

Help meeeee.

Edited by Outlaw

What cookies?

How do I craft cookies?

Do I need to be premium?

Can you give me some?

Help meeeee.

I've said too much...  :blink:

Real advice:

1. Talk to the people in the area where you would like to deed, if there are any.  How they react to your presence will tell you a lot about your neighbors.  Some will be afk with other stuff, some will be friendly, some with be super-friendly, and some will be hostile. Talking first will help you avoid drama with grumpy people, and if the people are friendly, they might be able to help you find a good spot to deed...and they might even hook you up with tools, carts, and/or raw materials. Also, be polite and friendly in your interactions in local chat. These people might be your future neighbors, so it's best to keep relations copacetic. 

2. Deed the land you want to keep. Sure, it costs real-world money, but it's better to spend a little to keep your nice little spot than to have someone deed up the land just short of your 1x1 shack, mow down the trees, and turn it into the Land of the Technicolor Colossi. 

3. Lock everything you possibly can, and keep the keys in your inventory (satchels within backpacks are great for this). If your cart/wagon/other lockable thing isn't owned by you, get the ownership transferred to you or craft/buy your own and lock it.

4. Lock the locks. (Physically impossible, really, but keeping stuff locked up is that important.)

5. Be careful who has permissions on your deeds/buildings/other locked stuff.  Most people in Wurm are pretty cool, but there are occasional bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling looking for opportunities to skirt the rules for the lulz. Get to know people before you trust them not to pilfer your hard-earned goods, and LOCK YOUR STUFF.

Edited by LadyCygnet
  • Like 4

• Never click on a link posted by Glory. EVER.

• Like 2

Remember, if you can pick it up, move it, or take it, you can have it. If the owner wants to protect it, they have the means. 

Real *World* Advice: Learn how to get along with and respect other people in your daily life. This will serve you well both there and within the game. After you develop this maturity you will then need little guidance of any rules within this game, as they will just seem the natural way for you to react in dealing with other players.

Online games do not transform anyone's true character, they only place less restraints upon it being revealed.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
  • Like 7

Online games do not transform anyone's true character, they only place less restraints upon it being revealed.

Online games answer questions like 'Would you steal it if you knew you wouldn't get caught?'

Real *World* Advice: Learn how to get along with and respect other people in your daily life. This will serve you well both there and within the game. After you develop this maturity you will then need little guidance of any rules within this game, as they will just seem the natural way for you to react in dealing with other players.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

Now that's just crazy talk!

Seriously, though, you're absolutely right--cooperation, respect, and maturity are all things that all players should cultivate in themselves because they are helpful in every real or virtual situation that one can imagine.

• Like 2

Best advice. Get the heck away from the stinkin computer and go out and do something useful. What the heck are you doing wasting your time playing an online game that will get you nothing but a fat butt and carpal tunnel.  :rolleyes:

• Read the Wikipedia. Yes, the info can be so-so; however, its still invaluable.

Never click on a link posted by Glory. EVER.

If you have to ask, the answer is, "No, you cant kill it."

Steal everything not nailed down, then come back for the nails.

Its perfectly fine to spam Enki with pms.

He forgot to say that he runs Klaa's Information Hotline. 1-800-Get-Klaa. I heard he also fully endorses slapping champion unicorns with a plank at under 10 fight skill.

• Like 1

• Its perfectly fine to spam Enki with pms

I realise that this last piece was in jest, but some newer players may not get your humour.  To that end, I present:

Help I need Enki

• Like 1

He forgot to say that he runs Klaa's Information Hotline. 1-800-Get-Klaa. I heard he also fully endorses slapping champion unicorns with a plank at under 10 fight skill.

Yup totally endorse such. Even use to make a game of running up with no armor to slap spiders when they were a bit faster, larger radars, and more powerful.

I realise that this last piece was in jest, but some newer players may not get your humour. To that end, I present:

Help I need Enki

Heh I remember (waves a gemmed staff around) when one could just bug Un4 or Oracle about anything regardless... granted they were likely to rip out your heart if it was particularly petty. Literally heart items.

Mmm good times.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

• Steal everything not nailed down, then come back for the nails.

But... Its not stealing if you can take it. :)

• Like 1

Nosfirebird thought the same thing.

• Like 2

Where do you park your car? Mine's getting a bit worn out. I can use a back up.   ;)

Edited by Sarcaticous
  • Like 1

There's a shortcut in this game that makes its slower moments a lot more enjoyable:

ALT-TAB

Fullscreen windowed mode also helps with this.

These false comparisons with real life stealing are ridiculous.

On your first day of premium, type "/refer Klaa" into the chat.

• Like 2