Sign in to follow this  
dasfry

I want 60fps on max settings 1080p (What's the cheapest Video card should I get?)

Hello,

I want to get 60fps w/ vsync on max setting while playing Wurm.

What is the cheapest video card I can get that can do this?

I would like to do this at or under a $100 price tag.

But so far what I've seen/heard/ been told the price tag is $300+

What I'm using right now is a Radeon HD 7750,

and I'm getting 20 to 30 fps, on low/medium settings

Added after over an hour of game play, the game starts to studder when I walk around but re-logging tends to fix that.

(Cpu: 2.5Ghz Quad core and 8 GB ram, )

Edited by dasfry
  • Like 2

Not gonna get it for under $100. (Maybe if you find a good card second hand)

As Wurm is Java based, you're going to need a good CPU as well as GPU. (And enough RAM, but if you've got 2gb+ already, you should be fine for that)

As per the other requests of this type, a full list of hardware would help. That includes motherboard and even your case too. (Some cards can be longer than others etc)

Currently, I'm using a Nvidia gtx 780. Can run 2 clients, 1080p max settings 60+fps or 1 at max as well as 4 alts on min settings.

(In an area with less than 10 total people...haven't tried more crowded areas yet with multiple accounts)

Edited by Outlaw

how much ram do you have? honestly with wurm ram actually makes a difference.  also if you have a Radeon HD 7750 you probably wont find  any card better than it for 100 or less  maybe the 7790 which is pretty cheap and a little bit better but i doubt youll find it for under like 130 USD like i said ram is pretty helpful assuming you have a decent cpu

Edited by Nomos

If you want a decent card for low money you are probably going to want a Radeon R9 380 (£160-£180 Various from what i have seen on different sites) 

But Wurm uses CPU and ram mostly so Graphics cards arent really the issue, i am using a 1gb 5870 from 6 years ago and i am running on 60fps w/ vsync, but to be honest Java is a pain in the ass and will always crash and lag so there are few options to having the game run completely smooth

If you want a decent card for low money you are probably going to want a Radeon R9 380 (£160-£180 Various from what i have seen on different sites) 

But Wurm uses CPU and ram mostly so Graphics cards arent really the issue, i am using a 1gb 5870 from 6 years ago and i am running on 60fps w/ vsync, but to be honest Java is a pain in the ass and will always crash and lag so there are few options to having the game run completely smooth

So you're saying the Video card I have can get me 60fps w/ vsync... but i need a strong cpu/memory setup?

it sounds like you have a decent enough set up if 2.5ghz quad 8gb ram and  Rad 7750.   CPU seems like the it would be the best thing to upgrade and im sure you can find a decent CPU for 100 or less on newegg.com

wurm mostly uses cpu and ram, more cpu if you record

it also depends very heavily on your surroundings (items, structures, creatures, players)

I have a prefab HP with 8 GB DDR3 1600 RAM, GT640 4 GB DDR3, and i7 3770 @ 3.4 GHz that can run above 60 FPS in some scenarios on single client but has issues with multi-client and large villages (especially when both are combined)

honestly, no matter your setup, you will still drop below 60 at times; I have heard people with SLI GTX 980's, overclocked i7's, and lots of RAM (16-32 GB) that still drop below 60 FPS in certain situations because this game is so horribly optimized; compare that to Assassin's Creed: Unity or Batman: Arkham Knight, which people were outraged with because that it entirely unacceptable in this day and age

60 FPS is standard for PC gaming, and it should be attainable on low end machines with the lowest settings; no exceptions, no BS

Edited by MisterTeddy

...still drop below 60 FPS in certain situations because this game is so horribly optimized; compare that to Assassin's Creed: Unity or Batman: Arkham Knight, which people were outraged with because that it entirely unacceptable in this day and age

60 FPS is standard for PC gaming, and it should be attainable on low end machines with the lowest settings; no exceptions, no BS

I hope the makers of Wurm.  Set aside some time and improve the game performance.

My GeForce GTX 650 Ti (slightly overclocked) is able to run one client on max settings just fine, but framerate can drop to about 50 FPS in very large towns.