Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Time to get Java 8!

i dont know about other but for me java7 always causes wurm to crash 70% of the time when i open it,so using java6 was always better.il try to get java8 and see if it even works

will it need 8gs of ram too?

My posts were in jest so if you were referring to those I do apologise if I mislead.

• Like 1

i dont know about other but for me java7 always causes wurm to crash 70% of the time when i open it,so using java6 was always better.il try to get java8 and see if it even works

If Java 7 is causing that much crashing, you have other issues.

Likely causes of crashing would be: 

• Poorly managed Java installs: Uninstall any and all Java and install Java 8 - 64-bit if you run a 64-bit system, otherwise 32-bit.

Out of date video drivers: Keep your video drivers as up to date as possible, always.

Software errors at the OS level: This can include corrupted registries and lingering files from past uninstalls.

Settings higher than your system can reasonably handle.

Hardware failure

C:\WINDOWS\system32>java -version

java version "1.8.0_51"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_51-b16)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.51-b03, mixed mode)

I've been running Java 8 for quite some time, as well as Windows 10 and beta drivers for nVidia. With as much "experimental" stuff as I've got going on, you'd think I'd be crashing all over the place. ;) I'm as stable as can be, with the exception of a crash-prone video driver.

• Like 1

I'm excited :) You sure have built up my expectations now!

does this mean we wont be able to play if we cant use java8?

not funny for people on the stuff that players will take seriously to make jokes about others not being able to play anymore.

I have same question and big concern :unsure:   I simply can't play Wurm using newer versions of Java ! I am using old 7,75 version. For newer versions I need to change whole operating system and it is big deal for me atm :( I already tried many times Java updates and I can't even start game :(

So, my question is - will we able to play game at all if we use older version of Java ? Or we just will not be able to see/use some of new features ? How important are they, can we play without them?

I love this game and I just paid for 2 premium accounts for 4 more month ( for me and my son ) and its been already 1 year as we play with prem time. Do I need to say Wurm bye bye now or after update??? I do not want to say bye, I want  continue to play this game without such problems !

Please, someone clear up situation regarding Java! I can see that I am not alone here with such problem. Please let us be able to play game using older versions of Java !!!

• Like 1

does this mean we wont be able to play if we cant use java8?

not funny for people on the stuff that players will take seriously to make jokes about others not being able to play anymore.

Java 8 will be required to play the game - this shouldn't be a big problem as it runs on all platforms supported by Java 7, including Windows XP. If there are any problems with upgrade, please post them in Technical Issues section. :)

RAM requirements shouldn't change - if you are able to run the game right now, you will be able to play after we will switch to Java 8 as well.

• Like 5

Will it affect the workaround I had to set up to get things running on 64? Suppose it's worth it and necessary, but don't like messing with stuff once it's working correctly. ;)

Yes it does. When I upgraded, few months back, the directory changed as well as some small settings. Caused me to have to change the directory in my Bat file.

• Like 1

I got the most recent 64-bit Java 8 I could find on the website (Update 45), and it's running smoothly enough that I can operate two Wurm sessions on the same laptop simultaneously with very little trouble (and even more surprising, no overheating!).

• Like 1

For me the last available update was 51.
Also, remember that we talk 64 bits here, the 32bits is also called java8 something.
I don't have a  functioning java in Firefox atm as I refuse to install back java32, it totally messes up the java settings else.

Heh my 32 updated as 1.8.0_51; though 64 one hasn't. Even getting the manual downloads show as 45

In my programlist I only have one java and it is listed as "Java 8 update 51(64-bit)"
I have swedish version maybe.
I updated manually.

If Java 7 is causing that much crashing, you have other issues.

Likely causes of crashing would be: 

• Poorly managed Java installs: Uninstall any and all Java and install Java 8 - 64-bit if you run a 64-bit system, otherwise 32-bit.

Out of date video drivers: Keep your video drivers as up to date as possible, always.

Software errors at the OS level: This can include corrupted registries and lingering files from past uninstalls.

Settings higher than your system can reasonably handle.

Hardware failure

C:\WINDOWS\system32>java -version

java version "1.8.0_51"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_51-b16)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.51-b03, mixed mode)

I've been running Java 8 for quite some time, as well as Windows 10 and beta drivers for nVidia. With as much "experimental" stuff as I've got going on, you'd think I'd be crashing all over the place. ;) I'm as stable as can be, with the exception of a crash-prone video driver.

Been running Java8 for a while now and it's much more stable than 7 for me. 

• Like 1

Please note Java 8 has no relation to Windows 8 at all - have seen a couple of comments in this thread so far that alluded to that.

As Warlander said, Java 8 should work on whatever operating system you're currently running - it is just an update to Java (that most people should be running by now anyway).

• Like 2

You're also open to potential future security risks with Java 7 being end of life and no longer updated.

• Like 3

This is exciting... let's get this stuff onto the test server so we can start working out the bugs.

Unless it's the lighting being fixed I won't see it anyway, so yeah I'm hoping it's the lighting.

you mean the lanterns that worked fine and then were broken after an alleged lighting "fix" over a year ago?

85ql lanterns used to be like little pocket suns, now it seems like turning up brightness and changing the angle of my monitor would be more effective

you mean the lanterns that worked fine and then were broken after an alleged lighting "fix" over a year ago?

Lmao a year ago? I think it was 2, closer to 3

• Like 1

Lmao a year ago? I think it was 2, closer to 3

I can't keep track anymore

• Like 1

85ql lanterns used to be like little pocket suns, now it seems like turning up brightness and changing the angle of my monitor would be more effective

2013 image

fSEQqXM.png

• Like 4

Sign in to follow this