Sign in to follow this  
bwg

Level of Detail: Where do we draw the line?

There's been a request to have the following added to the Mixed grass page which has made me think about conformity and standards going forward.  I'd like everyone's opinion before we move forward.

1. Grass can be sold to the merchant via the Activate the item, and right-click sell command to earn coins toward your quota.
  2. Number of units of mixed grass that fit inside a
    1. 6 pottery flask
    2. 41 quiver
    3. 50 Pottery Jar
    4. 50 Fruit press
    5. .....

If we were to start adding to every single of the 100's of item pages how many of them can be stored in the tens of containers we have or if they may be sold to the trader/token or not, we'd end up driving ourselves into the wall - the sheer work involved for 10, 100, 1000 people would be immense and difficult to maintain or organise.

These are both great ideas and have a high value-add to the Wurmpedia, but we must think logically about this.

Sell-able items

1. We could add to the ItemBox template a flag as to whether something may be sold.  As time goes by we can turn this flag on when it's been confirmed that an item may be sold.
  2. We could start a form of offline database to collate the information and possibly present this as a flat table on the Sell page where we can search for an item and find out the answer.
  3. We could build an off-Wurmpedia database where everyone could contribute and the data may be searched through.

Containers

1. We already have a pretty comprehensive list of basic materials and containers but obviously listing every item in the matrix would be entirely unmanageable.
  2. Adding tables to the bottom of every item page would be possible but also pretty unmanageable considering the multiple different combinations of container possible.
  3. We could build an off-Wurmpedia database where everyone may contribute and search through.

Fire away with your ideas.

Marni

Edited by bwg

Personally, I think the team should stay away from altering/removing accurate data and just specifically focus on the data that is incorrect/missing.

I also would highly recommend staying away from "off-wurmpedia databases".

In the end though, it really doesn't matter to me what you guys do with it. At this point in my game career here, I've learned that I am better off testing things on my own than to rely on the tests and/or claims of other players. And since this Wurmpedia team will not be getting exact numbers and game mechanics straight from the devs (instead, having to screw around on the test server themselves to "figure stuff out"), the wiki will remain as useful (or as useless) as it always has been.

The only difference is, I used to have the ability to edit it. Now, I have to reapply for that ability again... and tbh, I really don't feel like I have a reason to do so.

Nothing personal, Marni. Just giving my 2c on this whole wiki topic

Edited by As_I_Decay
  • Like 3

...I also would highly recommend staying away from "off-wurmpedia databases"..

Agreed

Can't you just have the "size" (not to be confused with weight) on each item's page, and for containers put their internal volume, then anyone can just divide one by the other? I assume this would be consistent for all containers except bulk ones and quivers.

Can't you just have the "size" (not to be confused with weight) on each item's page, and for containers put their internal volume, then anyone can just divide one by the other? I assume this would be consistent for all containers except bulk ones and quivers.

You just might have the solution here.

Just have each item show volume and weight as we find out.  Also let each container show the max volume that fits.

Then we don't need to have a list of how many of each item actually fits for each container.

• Like 1

By size, you mean volume?

Then on containers, we could also place their maximum volume limits.

This might be a great solution :)

By size, you mean volume?

Then on containers, we could also place their maximum volume limits.

This might be a great solution :)

I was just avoiding the word volume as containers themselves must have a "size". Basically when I say "size" I mean external volume, and when I say "volume" I mean internal volume (capacity) :P

I was just avoiding the word volume as containers themselves must have a "size". Basically when I say "size" I mean external volume, and when I say "volume" I mean internal volume (capacity) :P

Wraithglow,

Thank you for the clarification

Ah, size and capacity work great then.

why not just add the "how many can of such item can fit in what container" on the discussion pages?