Did a little test with these today and while the wiki is right about not being able to improve the cats or the turret once cast it is possible to dispel the cast and improve the strange device and recast courier or dark messenger, dispelling makes them just an ordinary strange device so you can also change the turret type if you wanted to or try for better strength casts.

Edited by Lordterrabyte

Lordterrabyte,

Can you please add the wiki link ?

What's an "ordinary strange device"? One laying on the ground not moving? And does improving the cast make them stronger as some kind of war machine? I love them but IDK what they do beyond look super cool.

I was told they are completely ineffective if an enemy is wearing a shield.  Since most players wear shields they seem to be only good for giving a sense of false protection.

I have updated the pages with relevant information provided here and done a layout update with the ItemBox.

Device: http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Strange_device

Acid: http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Acid_Turret

Frost: http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Frost_turret

Fire: http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Fire_turret

Lightning: http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Lightning_turret

Some things we need to test and confirm:

• Do higher casts give any bonus
  • Does higher quality give any bonus
  • Do shields provide 100% protection
  • Is the basic device simply ornamental

Thanks,

Marni

Some incorrect information there.

When dispelled they appear to revert to a normal strange device but if you try and put a fresh courier on them you get the message

'The spell will not work on that.'

The pseudo turret can still be imp'd for fine carp gains but it cannot again become a turret.

I have two contradicting statements then, post 1 and 6.

Need some more backup/testing before I modify the Wurmpedia again.

Thanks!

Marni

When dispelled they appear to revert to a normal strange device ..

But what is a "normal" strange device - does it wiggle around and look upset? And have a glowing top?

But what is a "normal" strange device - does it wiggle around and look upset? And have a glowing top?

No, a strange device is the non animated version, the acid/lightning/frost/fire turrets are the animated ones as you describe.

It goes   strange device -> courier cast ->  chosen animated turret -> dispel cast -> strange device.

The normal one is the pre-courier cast one which can be turned into a turret.

The problem is that the pre-courier cast and the post-dispel cast versions are identical to players except that the latter cannot be cast on again.

I've assumed this is not a bug but deliberate behaviour, tested it again today, so lost another strange device, recasting on it was not possible.

Marni,

We can test all we want but we simply don't know if the recast  behaviour is correct or a bug. My recommendation here is to take this back to the dev team so they can tell you what its meant to be. Then if its correct, adjust the wiki or if not add a bug report.

strange device -> courier cast ->  chosen animated turret -> dispel cast -> strange device.

The normal one is the pre-courier cast one which can be turned into a turret.

Ok maybe I don't know what a "turret" is. Is it a still strange device? Before we cast courier, it was like a tree lying on its side. Is that what a turret is? Ty for bearing with me.

Ok maybe I don't know what a "turret" is. Is it a still strange device? Before we cast courier, it was like a tree lying on its side. Is that what a turret is? Ty for bearing with me.

The strange device is the lifeless lying on its side stage.

The turret is when its active and animated with the glowing orb.

Casting courier transforms the strange device into one of the four turrets depending on where the courier cast is made.

It sounds like you've got the two transformed in your head, device = dormant, turret = active.

Not sure did a bug had already been reported but I posted one from doing some testing earlier. Bottom line was: having someone else place the turret (the owner/maker) I could find no means recast courier on the strange decice after dispelling. This included multiple variations. To include having owner trade the item to me/ additional dispels/ blessing/ picking up and dropping by both myself and owner/ moving the location of the item/ improving the item.

As stated above you simply get the message when casting courier that "The spell will not work on that".

Hope the info helps. Will attempt to try again after server reset to see if that does something.

Did a little test with these today and while the wiki is right about not being able to improve the cats or the turret once cast it is possible to dispel the cast and improve the strange device and recast courier or dark messenger, dispelling makes them just an ordinary strange device so you can also change the turret type if you wanted to or try for better strength casts.

Could you provide details about how you managed to get a re-cast?

Details would be good, as would a bug confirmation.  I'll keep my eye on the bug report.

Details would be good, as would a bug confirmation.  I'll keep my eye on the bug report.

No details on how a successful recast could be done so I'd say that means it was an inaccurate report, happens.

Devs are now back, hopefully refreshed.

Any chance of bumping the bug report and making sure they've perused it. I'm sort of hoping the answer is obvious to them, one way or another.