Sign in to follow this  
wsrich

Will wurm work on a tablet ?

I'm looking to go mobile without the need of a laptop I wanna buy a tablet that can play wurm does anyone know of such a thing or is thus just wish full thinking ?

Even if it does work, I imagine on the lowest settings you'd get 10 or less FPS with lag spikes. Wurm is too resource intensive for it to be ran on something like that.

• Like 1

I would say very unlikely since Wurm is highly dependent on CPU *and* gpu *and* ram.  Wurm runs extremly poorly, to the point of unplayable, for people who have a severe weakness in any one of those areas. I have seen people with very old processors (Pentium D), or very weak integrated graphics (Intel HD 2000), or very limited ram (1-2 gigs), who can play but at single digit framerates.      My computer was built in 2006 and still runs the game so it CAN be done on lowerend hardware but you cannot skimp too far on any corner of ram-cpu-gpu.  Tablets tend to skimp on all three in order to be small and lightweight. 

That said, there may be others popping up shortly who say it runs SUPERB on their tablets and make me a liar mistaken individual.

• Like 3

Yeah iv been looking at the Microsoft tablet it's like 1333 gbp and still hasn't even got a graphics card ...

It took well over a decade I think from when laptops first became popular, to where they were able to actually be decent for gaming. We don't blink much now about gaming on a laptop, but that didn't used to be the case -- once "everyone knew" that laptops were NOT for gaming. They used to cost 3X as much as a desktop and run 3X worse, but they have narrowed the gap over the years to now just a mild "well they cost more and don,t game as good, usually".   The problem is that cramming that much power into such a tiny space causes massive heat dispersal issues. Desktops have tons of space so they conquered this first. With laptops, for a long time you needed the really HUGE "desktop replacement notebooks" that were not very portable.   Laptops still have a tendency to run really hot at times.  With time, technology makes it possible to make all the important components smaller and smaller and smaller. Look at solid state disk drives as an example. Tablets are still in the category of "cost a fortune and run games sh1tty" but there will come a time when there is a $300 tablet that runs modern games. That time may be 2025, but it will happen.  Some tablets run some games, but Wurm is not one of those games. 

ps: I found some good threads since the topic comes up regular, and devs plus  people who actually game on tablets have better information:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/114463-tablets-and-wurm/

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/88772-tablet-play/

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/118463-wurm-on-tablet/

Also Beau Hindman loves tablets and has done a lot of research, including running games like Guilld Wars or Wurm:

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmozDicZaVc

In this case, you have a desktop at home running the game and use the tablet to remotely access the computer. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

I dont think wurm on a tablet will work. There might be certain workarounds, splashtop for example. It runs wurm on your home desktop and streams the screen to your tablet through an internet connection (and sends your controls/commands to the desktop).

I never tried it before myself, but some people say it works well for some games. I am not sure if wurm is one of those games, mostly due to optimization issues (as in for example: the memory leak) and it is not free (something like 20 USD a year + any (mobile, if not on a wifi) internet charges) but this is as far as you can go currently, I would guess

Using remote desktop is the only way currently since there is no way to currently run java natively in the way that Wurm does on Android.  Apple will be a huge no-no since they're strict on what you can do on their devices and I've not tested with any other brands such as Microsoft.

However I have managed to get Wurm going on a Galaxy Tab using Chrome Remote Desktop with little latency while on my home network.  I'll share a quick video when I have time.

• Like 2

Depends on the tablet.  Wurm would probably run fine on a Microsoft Surface Pro.  But obviously not an Android or iOS powered tablet.

I would agree that a surface pro would probably run Wurm fine. I would wait for the Surface Pro 4 which should be released by sometime in the fall. You would probably still have to play on lower settings, however.

the razer tablet runs wurm fine but that is cost like 1k. A i7-4720hq with its on broad graphics can run wurm at 30+fps on high settings but i would think u need at least a mobile i3 to run wurm not what u typically see in cheap tablets.

I play Wurm on my Surface Pro 1, and it runs just fine on medium settings.

But to answer the question in general, it depends on what you mean by "tablet." Any modern tablet PC will run Wurm without a problem, however pure tablets - the sort which are basically giant smartphones - probably cannot. Basically, this includes any iOS or Android device, as well as any ARM-based device, such as the "non-Pro" Surfaces which run Windows RT.

FACTS!!

I know for a fact that it will not work on a tablet. I bought a new Laptop and it didnt have the traditional two button track pad. The entire thing was one button and to right click you needed to use two fingers. You know like the Macbooks.

When trying to run Wurm on it it kept crashing because I didnt have a two button track pad. I needed to hook up a mouse to it. Enki told me that you might be able to find a vertual mouse out there somewere but like most people have said I dont think it is even possible. Plus the major FPS lag youll get

Thanks all for the reply, you guys have gave me a lot of info on this subject thanks for you tine guys :)

Thanks all for the reply, you guys have gave me a lot of info on this subject thanks for you tine guys :)

Can always just buy a tablet, try it out and return it if it doesn't work :P

deleted - posted in error

Edited by Batta

maybe the acer swift 7 black edition could do that. i found it when i searched for tablets with graphiccard.

On 7/15/2015 at 1:41 PM, Brash_Endeavors said:

In this case, you have a desktop at home running the game and use the tablet to remotely access the computer. 

pretty much only option.. you can get a random/good or worse tablet/ and run a pc or buy a subscription to some gaming service.. google stadia, nvidia streaming service[, or VM with GPU .. cost of which you WON'T LIKE]

* tablet controls... given .. if you get to add keyboard or additional HUD on screen to control movement and clicks... you'll have a lot of troubles playing wurm..... it's a HUGE MICROMANAGEMENT HELL OF CLICKS, I can't imagine it being fun on a tablet.. no matter of the setup.... maybe remote desktop-ing and attaching usb/wifi/bluetooth keyboard and mouse... but still it's going to be a lot to deal with, unless you chisel bricks all day or pray at an altar.. you'll have issues doing a lot of the 'simple' things in the game, as it all takes so many actions

GLHF

Edited by Finnn