Sign in to follow this  
keoki

Trader placement

Recently, I purchased a trader contract that I wanted to place at my deed. Located at the northern coastal edge of release and knowing only of one other trader nearby me further than 63 tiles away, I thought I was in the clear to place my trader. However, when I tried to place my trader, I get the message that it's too close to another trader at shop "Trader_Trader". It seems odd to me that someone would name their building "Trader_Trader" so I was thinking that this is a trader where the building that the trader could have been in has already deteriorated.

How long does a trader stay if the building is now gone? 

Does the trader stay if the deed is also disbanded from upkeep?

What if the player who placed it stopped playing, does the trader still stay?

I'm basically out 50s for purchasing the trader contract that I cannot now use so I'm trying to understand all of this before deciding if I should hold onto it or sell it on the forums here.

• Like 1

1: The building does not matter only the deed it is a member of and you can name a trader whatever you want to so trader_trader could be an option for its name. 

2: Traders can stay if the deed disbands but only if you kick them out as a member of that deed before it disbands, 

3: Only till the deed disbands unless #2 happens but even if you kick the trader out of being a member of the deed it goes back to being a member of the deed it is on when the server restarts so it is unlikely to stay if the player has quit. 

Edit: Now i guess you could set up a trader that is not part of a deed if the person setting the trader was not in or on a deed when it was placed but that is highly unlikely too.  If that was the deal then yes that trader would stay forever placed even if the building falls unless a deed was placed over it then it would revert to being a member of that deed on the next server restart. 

I am guessing you just missed a deed in the area thought or miscounted your 63 tiles so you need to look around some more. Now you don't have to set the trader up in a house to see if it will work in that spot. You can just try to set it up and it will give you one of two messages one about setting up to close to another trader or one about not being in a building so you can use that to search for a spot then you build your building after you find a good spot. 

Edited by Kegan

Ok, so the name that is shows me, trader_trader, is the name of the trader, not the building name. Is that correct? When the message referred to "the trader at shop...", I was thinking it was the building name since you have to put the trader in a building.

Ok, so the name that is shows me, trader_trader, is the name of the trader, not the building name. Is that correct? When the message referred to "the trader at shop...", I was thinking it was the building name since you have to put the trader in a building.

yes it was the name of the trader not the building 

I'm not 100% sure, but if i remember right, a reveal creature spell can locate the traders around, it can help with the placement.