Sign in to follow this  
Wossoo

News #70: Wurmpedia Improvements

That's a shame, I doubt people will bother with a alternative history archive. Wurmpedia is easy to access, no ads, simple to use, and a cool URL to access.

• Like 2

The statement "And the removal of non-staff editor accounts" is incorrect.

All accounts are being disabled and there is an application process to become either a) a non-staff editor or B) a wurm-staff assistant to the manager.

So now if I understand this right, this is all just a move to weed out old, inactive accounts with the idea in mind that active players will make an application?

That is not 'all' we're trying to accomplish, as you've said; it is however one of the side-effects of what we're trying to do with the new security and groups on the Wurmpedia.

Edited by bwg

Screenshot.jpg?dl=1

What kind of Helmet is the guy 4th to the left wearing?   The Greco-Roman style helmet.   Please, I want to find out more about it!

• Like 1

wurm "insiders" = (for the most part) = volunteers who put up with lots of ####

Edited by Tipper

I always thought of wurmpedia as a separate community-operated entity... now its officially non-official official, ran by the community chosen by wurm for the community not chosen by wurm full of information guessed by the players and fact checked by staff to be as precisely imprecise as possible when documenting undocumented "facts".

Why do I feel like most of the people behind wurms curtain are political advisers?

I need a drink.

Edit: Still waiting on an answer about documenting certain mechanics the playerbase have guessed at. If incorrect information will be removed, will correct information be supplied, where correct information is only obtainable through developers with knowledge of the code? I hope this isnt a situation where many pages filled with 'best guess' are removed of content and left blank until someone eventually gets the right guess.

Edited by Leroy
  • Like 8

What kind of Helmet is the guy 4th to the left wearing?   The Greco-Roman style helmet.   Please, I want to find out more about it!

I think it was one of the Challenge rewards.

• Like 2

Can we load animals onto ships yet?

Then I might actually explore Xanadu.

Yahoo, A wiki that's useful.  What will they think of next?

Eventually these news comment pages will just be full of people congratulating them/patting them on the back...instead of asking for things...because it's obvious none of them are listening. Kinda sad really...

• Like 1

Plumed Helm of the Hunt

Since joining the Wurmpedia Team, I've been able to truly appreciate the great task that's ahead of us in bringing the Wurmpedia to where it should and needs to be. That's no easy task and not one that a team of so few of us can do on our own. To be frank, non-team edits have been down very low for quite some time now, with the majority that I've seen being just to keep player and settlement pages up to date. We've also had people bring those very pages to our attention, pointing out inaccuracies within those that we just couldn't help for the simple fact that we had a hands-off rule for content created by others. It was never our job to censor out or change the content other people put in the wiki, but to fact-check what was there and to add new information as it is discovered or made available. How can you fact check something like a player-written guide or a player's own profile page? (Edit: While you can fact-check some of the content within the guides, it's the personal feelings of the writer that we cannot simply edit and change.)

So this is all to make the Wurmpedia a more accurate resource. It's not censorship, and it's certainly not a fiefdom of any sort. I really do hope that a number of you apply to be editors, as I can tell you that this job is not easy. I can also understand the reason for a soft cap. We WA's are waking up to a new role, to help guide Editors into the new standards being set forth and to ensure that the Wurmpedia remains a resource of facts and verified information. This is a whole new system, and not one that can be beta tested before being rolled out. Having a soft cap lets everyone adjust to the new way of doing things, lets the kinks be worked out and changes made where needed, without seeing the whole system crash down around us.

I know I can't change everyone's mind, that is not my intent. Instead, I'm personally asking you to look past your feelings and give this a chance. Apply to be an Editor if you feel you can help contribute, and don't be discouraged if you're first turned away due to the soft cap. As a team, our only concern is for accurate information. There is no room for personal bias and opinion. It's fact, or it doesn't belong.

There is so much work that needs to be done, are you willing to help?

Edited by Keenan
  • Like 3

Plumed Helm of the Hunt

IMO it totally doesn't fit into this medieval themed game.

Edited by Bittereinder

I'll ask the question again, just in case it's gotten missed: as the wiki is now being run/managed by an 'official' team, and the aim is to have 'verified information', will there be a move to having mechanics and other game info confirmed or explained by people with access to the code (i.e. devs)?  Or will the primary documentation resource for Wurm continue to be based on player testing and speculation?

This is not a troll question.  I genuinely believe that one of Wurms major issues stems from the fact that it's a complex game that requires a serious commitment of time and effort, and yet many of the mechanics are poorly (or not) understood.  It's also hard to tell whether a particular feature is working or not, when nobody understands how it's supposed to work (e.g. the 'spark in eye' trait or enlightenment).  Ninja fixes and changes are also part of this (and another thing that needs to stop).

• Like 1

We WA's are waking up to a new role, to help guide Editors into the new standards being set forth and to ensure that the Wurmpedia remains a resource of facts and verified information.

Odd. "Changes are coming", Wurmpedia will have a control team in place to make sure wurmpedia has correct information. What I see and hear is many contradictions, and ironically a lack of information im keen to know. Again and again it's all about making sure the information is correct on the wiki. What I have yet to hear is what happens to the incorrect information after it is removed. Will it just remain lacking of information, or will the correct information be supplied to replace it even when the correct information has been actively withheld by staff due to 'keeping the sense of discovery'. Not just talking about stuff like meditation questions/ answers but the nuances like influence of stat skills on casting, real differences on altar types when receiving gifts, why skill gains can be so far off for meditation and other skills which wikis pages have many 'should' , 'could' and 'maybe' variables listed.

IMO it totally doesn't fit into this medieval themed game.

Is not me in that pic wearing it :P

But I know the person, and I know the name of the helmet, was just sharing with a fellow curious wurmian ;)

• Like 1

Greeks and Romans predated the so-called Medieval Europe, so totally legit.

• Like 1

I'll ask the question again, just in case it's gotten missed: as the wiki is now being run/managed by an 'official' team, and the aim is to have 'verified information', will there be a move to having mechanics and other game info confirmed or explained by people with access to the code (i.e. devs)?  Or will the primary documentation resource for Wurm continue to be based on player testing and speculation?

This is not a troll question.  I genuinely believe that one of Wurms major issues stems from the fact that it's a complex game that requires a serious commitment of time and effort, and yet many of the mechanics are poorly (or not) understood.  It's also hard to tell whether a particular feature is working or not, when nobody understands how it's supposed to work (e.g. the 'spark in eye' trait or enlightenment).  Ninja fixes and changes are also part of this (and another thing that needs to stop).

As we are all still players, I can't expect the developers to give us access to everything. We have some newer resources available to us as a team on Test, so that will help with testing mechanics. Beyond that, I don't think anyone can give you an exact answer right now as the details are still being worked out. 

Odd. "Changes are coming", Wurmpedia will have a control team in place to make sure wurmpedia has correct information. What I see and hear is many contradictions, and ironically a lack of information im keen to know. Again and again it's all about making sure the information is correct on the wiki. What I have yet to hear is what happens to the incorrect information after it is removed. Will it just remain lacking of information, or will the correct information be supplied to replace it even when the correct information has been actively withheld by staff due to 'keeping the sense of discovery'. Not just talking about stuff like meditation questions/ answers but the nuances like influence of stat skills on casting, real differences on altar types when receiving gifts, why skill gains can be so far off for meditation and other skills which wikis pages have many 'should' , 'could' and 'maybe' variables listed.

First and foremost, Wurmpedia is paid for and hosted by Code Club. So as such if there are any directives that come down from the owner, it will be respected and followed as it always has. That said, there hasn't really been many of those directives. If a new system was launched that was full of mystery, and Rolf had asked the details to be kept vague to give everyone a chance to discover it for themselves, I can't see how we couldn't honor that request. I don't think I entirely understand the rest of your post. Incorrect information, when it has been proven as such by testing and verification from players or Wurmpedia team members, is obviously removed from the Wurmpedia, but nothing is ever fully "removed" from a Wiki. You can still go in and see the historical changes of any page by clicking "History". The meditation answers may be the only exception that I know of to this, which is also the only directive that I know of as well.

In a lot of cases, if the information isn't supplied on Wurmpedia, it's because someone hasn't taken the time to do the proper amount of testing to discover it. A great example of the sort of testing we're talking about can be seen here, where Dasfry had been kind enough to test the mechanics of the long spear. This was a bit of an easier test, but it confirmed that a long spear has a longer reach. Now testing what altar types give what gifts is not as easy as poking a horse with a spear, just as the thread Pandalet had made about wood types has gone relatively untouched, simply because it's extremely difficult for one or two people to test all of the possibilities. Yes, we all know what people say about the types of wood, but when was the last time anyone has sat down and made every tool out of cedar, oak, and birch, then tested them all equally over the course of a few hundred actions to see which took the least amount of damage? Or left them on the ground to see which had the least amount of decay? Expand that to furniture, vehicles, and so-on. For something like that, we need several people taking it upon themselves to test the information we've all taken as accurate to see if it truly is that way.

Even with all of the tests you are saying that needs to happen. It will still be some bit of speculation.  Only a different person's version of events.  There is so much range in this game as to make many tests end up being just what happens in this instance.  Including laying 3 identical tools on the ground.  I know for a fact I can have 3 identical meals in the same place and they will take damage at different rates.  If Rolf or someone isn't behind the scenes saying this is fact or that is fact, none of means anything more than what has been input into the wiki before this 'team' was put into place.

• Like 4