Sign in to follow this  
Shiraek

The Whispering Wood - what to do with it?

Hello,

It's now coming up on four years since Deliverance opened and I founded The Whispering Wood. For the first few years it functioned as a forest and hunting preserve, a sanctuary for travelling newbies, and home to a procession of new players who built in the perim as a citizen and learned the game in relative safety. For a time I operated a free crafting area, until bugs with planted bins meant they kept getting stolen and I gave up on it.

I can't remember the last time I ran into a really new player, and there's wild land everywhere now. Deliverance is deserted, compared to the 400 it would have on peak times when it opened, the 100 consistently since, up until Xan opened and the population finally collapsed. These days when I play I often see 20-30 people on. For an island this size, this empty, we really don't need a hunting preserve anymore, and it's not like trees are in short supply either.

And yet I'm hesitant to sell the deed or let it drop. The land in the perimeter is the ONLY untouched coastline on the server, and I know within a few months (blink of an eye to old Shiraek) of the perimeter dropping it will be dug up, terraced, trees cut down and a tangle of overlapping ruins planted atop... like everywhere else in Wurm.

And then there's the deed itself. Lots of fond memories for me there, and Whispering Keep is a piece of history to me.

Lastly, there's the tons of my own money I've poured into the deed and into Wurm over the years. Letting it all go seems... a really big waste.

But I'm out of ideas for what to do with the place. And I know of at least one neighbour, if they're still around, who would like to see that big perimeter die, or at least shrink.

Any thoughts?

• Like 4

Could always chop it down yourself for some woodcutting and shipbuilding/coal making skill gains :)

I doubt it would work but i guess you could try to find a group of new players and give it to them but most likely it would be gone anyway in a short time. The only other thing is maybe try to sell it to someone that has your same vision that would want to keep it preserved.

Either way your chances are slim so i guess there is not much you can do. I have moved away from some really nice deeds myself and some stay some do not that is just how the game is.  

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

Sounds like an awesome place and love the name! I hope it finds its way into the right hands.

• Like 1

Shiraek,

Your place is a piece of Deliverance history, as I believe you placed it on the day the server opened shortly before I placed my own. For this reason alone it would be a sad departure to disband it. Possibly better to just shrink it down to a 1 silver per month upkeep and let it remain, since at that minimal amount it is not much of an expense to carry. This way you will at least preserve the built up area and have a small retreat where your fond memories may continue to reside. 

Safe Travels

=Ayes=

• Like 2

It's the place I made landfall at on Deli, when i came over from Independence back in 2012 as a newbie. I bought my very first deed form at your public trader ( I also bought all the following deed forms at your place, as its always been closer to my place than GD). I myself have some very fond memories of The Whispering Wood and it would be a shame to see it fall.

• Like 2

I remember trekking up the road from Makinaw when I first started to try and hunt, it was one of the only spots in the area at the time you could find stuff spawned on a regular basis, was too scary though for my noobie self.

It is a nice spot.

• Like 1

It's a nice place to be in safety, because there are a lot hostiles around. We have a lot of newbies in Landsalar, on east of here. I'm not sure they wanted to move to Whispering wood and what thinking our mayor. Personally, I find the structure nice, but it's too high for me.

I throw in 10s to help preserve the place longer, how much is the upkeep montly?  CoD me something and let me know what you've sent in PM here on forums.

PS: Punk and Deli are not dead :)

Edited by erozaxx
  • Like 1

Maybe try and get it Heritage sited? As was said earlier, its a big piece of deli history.

"A Heritage site is any location deemed by the Game Masters to be of significant value to the community.  Heritage sites will be posted with GM Signs."

from what i understand they can set deeds to be free of upkeep too :-)

• Like 1

what's the upkeep on it?

maybe throw a couple of G in it every year and let it stay as it is.

i have a few deeds like this :)

cant bear to see them lost, but no time to be there.

Edited by JDBooker

D: Yeah! Please don't let it turn into another mookton! I never got to see that place in its prime but now it's a total eyesore! T_T Liive! LIIIVEE!!!

D: Yeah! Please don't let it turn into another mookton! I never got to see that place in its prime but now it's a total eyesore! T_T Liive! LIIIVEE!!!

• Like 2

On 11/10/2015 at 8:27 PM, Nicrolis said:

Maybe try and get it Heritage sited? As was said earlier, its a big piece of deli history.

"A Heritage site is any location deemed by the Game Masters to be of significant value to the community.  Heritage sites will be posted with GM Signs."

from what i understand they can set deeds to be free of upkeep too :-)

THIS +3

ami too late? i hope it did become a Heritage Site, if it did is there any public use? like Green Dog? {never understood GD with boats and nowhere to go}

if your stead was placed like GD as a starter point that would be sweet.

i would definitely check into it

• Like 1