Sign in to follow this  
Yldrania

How come so many are quitting right now?

meh same old same old, im an old fart around here, seen buncha crapy stuff, dealt with crappy bugs, dealt with slow devs, rolfs endless holidays, the players the leave in droves.  then watched them all return, pop goes up by 50%  then repeats etc. it happens alot, get used to it. im still here, havent been on much, but  i got some serious issues in rl atm  ( most recent is i fell twice and lost my ability to walk/stand/crawl) yea it sucks, but ill eventually heal, just part of life. anyhow they will eventually come back, game empties out this time of the year and bout xmas it picks back up and rolf n them got some big magical update that brings them all back in the spring time. usually how it goes. Though im hoping they get those bugs fixed, specially the ancient ones.

Congrats, you found a single case of someone breaking the rules? That hardly disproves the fact that it is indeed largely respected.

It has happened more than once and is, while still somewhat uncommon, still an issue. A large number of those highway rule infractions are probably recorded in a GM forum or something like that; so, if GMs were so inclined that information could be made public.

Congrats, you found a single case of someone breaking the rules? That hardly disproves the fact that it is indeed largely respected.

It's not a single case, I've got plenty more pix that I'm too bored to post right now, but the point is that it CAN and DOES happen. The problem is there is no way to stop it or fight back, and when that feeling of helplessness and frustration is compounded by officials not doing anything about it, well that's why some of us post about it. We don't want it to happen again, and we don't want it to happen to other people. It's apparent this particular thing has not happened to you, or you'd be unable to post as such. You might have had people do rude, careless, or nasty things, but you've not had a prolonged bout of harassment sanctioned by authority. I don't want you to.

I can't honestly speak for why are so many are doing anything, but I can speak for personal experience. I first logged into Wurm 1253 days ago. I have had premium a total of 37 times and actually played 224 days. I have had, and disbanded, well over a dozen settlements and currently own two. My first settlement was just north of Greendog, back when there was plenty of untaken space to be had. Each settlement after that was further and further from the starting point until my current lands are on the coast. I think the only reason I have 224 days logged in was the effort it took to terraform my current settlements. Now that I have the buildings and walls built, the only things I log in for is to tend to my crops and animals. If I lost my current settlements, which I only keep for the joy of having something of my own, I wouldn't play anymore. It's too much like work when I play games to have fun. Other than the few people I've bought things from, my social interactions have been few and far between so I can't honestly say that this has been a social experience for me. The more I read the forums, especially posts like this (honestly, why ask a negative question instead of inquiring why people love this game and want to play?), the more I question why I even bother. So, no, this isn't my favorite game by far. Anymore, I just try to get through the drudgery of farming as quickly as I can so I can log into Second Life and enjoy myself breeding animals and plants and buying all the things that make my land there so enjoyable for me. Sorry, this is what I meant by posts like this making me rethink my decision to play here.

If I had to pick one thing as wurms biggest problem, it's that it has way too many servers. Should only have 2 servers, One PvP, one PvE.

I know shutting down server would cause tons to get upset, but honestly it's the best fix for the game. I think Rolf could compensate deed owners etc with silver, shouldn't be that difficult.

The only issue with the two PvP servers merging is the issue with skill gain and the transfer between epic and chaos. Either way 1 side is just going to have to suck it up and deal with the result, and I'd be completely okay with whatever the result was if it meant the merging of the servers

Edited by New_Unsleep

you've not had a prolonged bout of harassment sanctioned by authority. 

Exactly, I never have. Neither have most Wurmians. This is in fact the whole point, because most players and neighbours in Wurm are very friendly, and harassment, theft and griefing are rare occassion. You and your fellow posters, in thread after thread, are trying to paint a picture to new players of this game being Hell on Earth for PVE players because of rampant griefing being everywhere and being accepted, even encouraged by the devs. At the same time you also claim to represent the vast majority of players, which is paradoxical.

The more I read the forums, especially posts like this (honestly, why ask a negative question instead of inquiring why people love this game and want to play?), the more I question why I even bother. 

The truth is, most players in Wurm are extremely happy with the game and proud of the unique gameplay we form a part of. But not all players follow the forums, which are dominated by a few dozen players, some of which unfortunately are negatively biased towards the game. Hence it has become tradition to warn new players against even opening the forums lol.

My two subs ran out of premium and I don't have plans to activate them anytime soon. It's not weather related and it's not dev vacation related. The cry baby, entitlement, he took my toy wah! mentality of the community has driven me away. I check the forum only when I'm really bored and it's the same everyday. QQ my horsies are dead, I didn't lock my and someone took it, I gave unknown people permissions and they took all the things! Seriously it's a sand box game.

L2sandbox

Exactly, I never have. Neither have most Wurmians. This is in fact the whole point, because most players and neighbours in Wurm are very friendly, and harassment, theft and griefing are rare occassion. You and your fellow posters, in thread after thread, are trying to paint a picture to new players of this game being Hell on Earth for PVE players because of rampant griefing being everywhere and being accepted, even encouraged by the devs. At the same time you also claim to represent the vast majority of players, which is paradoxical.

Odds are a player won't run into it.. but if they do.... ohboy.

Example:  One player destroyed roads all over an area including highways, broke into a deed's mines and lowered ALL the perimeter to dropshaft before reinforcing it, is still at it so roads in the area are a fantasy at best, will go for penned animals whenever he gets a chance, has called guards on penned aggro.... is CA.  Don't even need to say the name he has more reports than bridges have bugs.

6) Playing alone is too hard and if you stay for long enough for your newbie buff to wear off (which is highly unlikely, but if you binge play for your first 2 days you might get there) you will become killed by everything.

Cough Hellhounds Cough.

Many of the descriptions of the social aspect are the exact opposite of what I, and my entire group of friends have experienced. Maybe we were just lucky, but I think this community is better than most give it credit for.

We joined on Epic, Serenity, and every question we asked was answered, whenever we entered local and found someone, they asked who we were, were friendly, and often gave us supplies/tools for the road. When we lost our home and traveled to King's Landing(a respected and large Deed) they gave us a temporary place to stay, village permissions, and plenty of supplies to skill up with so we could fend for ourselves when we parted ways. When we set out again, we were helped by many people along the way, settled down in our own place, then purchased a Deed very close to spawn. Our Deed was never griefed, our neighbors were great, and even after quitting for two years and coming back recently we were able to quickly find a place in the game.

It might be different on other servers, but my community experience in this game has been better than any other game I've played to date. This game has a whole slew of problems, but I don't think it's fair to expect perfection from a community that I think is the closest I've seen to date. My 2c.

Edited by SwiftAsLeopard
  • Like 9

Regardless of what anyone says, let's be honest here:

The vast majority are the ones who download Wurm and give up within 2 days because of either or more of following reasons:

1) You can't get the game to start and won't bother starting a thread on a forum for a game you have no relation to, it's easier to just move on to another game.

2) If you try out a new game and you don't understand the controllers or the interface you are not likely to give it more than 1 or 2 tries unless you have a friend who already plays the game and can explain it to you. This might come as a shock - But the Wurm interface is despite its recent additions still very unintuitive and cluttery.

3) When you start the game you get all kinds of graphical glitches and unless you have an Nvidia card (and sometimes even if) you have to lower pretty much everything to the lowest setting and turn tons of stuff off in order to make it stop. After you've done that the game looks very much like a game from the last decade and you wonder how a 400kb Java client still manages to fill up your 16GB RAM after 2 hours ingame.

4) After some time of playing your processor is glowing more from heat than the campfire you created and you realize that the game doesn't give many craps about your graphics card but is rather reliant on your processor.

5) The area around the spawn is full of crap and all you really want to do is build a house so that you have somewhere to call home, but you can't build a house anywhere near where you spawned. If you point this out in one of the open channels people yell at you, call you lazy and tell you to go further off from the spawn. You don't really understand why, don't you have any sort of homebase in this game?

6) Playing alone is too hard and if you stay for long enough for your newbie buff to wear off (which is highly unlikely, but if you binge play for your first 2 days you might get there) you will become killed by everything. Even when things don't kill you you are lost for directions and noone seems willing to take you in since they think you're a thief or spy and your mere presence in their village might be a threat to everything they've worked for since they themselves started playing.

7) Actually asking questions in the open channels ingame is often met with "GO TO CA" and I can't speak for the new players, but if I had been them I probably wouldn't know what CA is or why I can't just ask actively chatting players what I want to know.

I skipped a lot of reasons that I could think of because the post is long enough already, I just wanted to make this point: The majority of players who find Wurm don't stay, which is why the ones that it appeals to despite all its flaws are valuable and shouldn't be brushed off with the "minority" trash stamp. The "complaining minority" might be a minority, but so are you for even staying with the game past the initiation period. Should all your opinions be brushed off as well because you're a minority niche gamer? Native Americans are a minority in the US too, doesn't mean they shouldn't have a say about the way they're treated.

If you all who call us "whiners", "minority", "complainers", "exaggeration" etc and so on blah blah are really all that bothered by it then perhaps you should realize that we are unhappy for a reason and support us in wanting to make the game better. It's not like we're trying to slight you or ruin your fun for wanting the devs to actually fix their bugs or give feedback on what they're doing and all other reasonable complaints we have. Many of you had the luxury of starting to play the game after it went out of beta so you never had to spend years thinking that all the trivial bugs you reported would become fixed before it was finally released - Some of us didn't have that luxury and we actually thought that the game would improve once it was out of its beta stage. It didn't improve, the bugs didn't become fixed and instead they were piled on top of each other with each new untested feature so excuse us for running out of patience. Lots of newer players have run out of patience as well, so it's not like it's exclusive for old players either, as a sidenote. You typically become tired of the game faster the worse bugs and grief you're exposed to and you only stick around if your time invested is greater than the suffering you have to withstand. Most players look for a game that's actually fun, as surprising as that might sound, and if coming off as whiners or whatever is what we have to do to try to make it so then so be it.

I want the game to improves as much as the next person, but the way some people go on in these forums is embarrassing. Just because I don't whine as much as some people doesn't mean I like the game any less, But I realise that the team is only so big and making games aren't easy. there are tooo many variables to look at when fixing bugs, providing content and making money. Do you think that the devs are blind to these complaints? I think not. We seem give a little gratification to the new things that come to wurm and  continually complain about the bad things. 

Many of your points that you have stated are ones that new players that come see and cant get passed, wurm is a niche game and if it is something that you can handle, research and make an effort you can get passed the initial stages no problem. I don't expect wurm to ever cater fully to people that want everything given to them on a platter and I hope it never does. 

Wurm is my favorite game to date, it has its flaws. I and I hope things get fixed in time and if it gets to the point that i'm am as frustrated as some people here are, I wil probably give it up. But I can't see that happening, because even though it isn't perfect, things are actually getting worked on. We are getting content and bug are being pushed up the priority list. they can only do what they can do.

Edited by Milosanx
  • Like 3

All I can say is that I don't think you understand the problem at all since you focused on the wrong things in my post and completely missed the point and there's really no way to counter lack of understanding when someone does not want to understand, so I'll leave it at that. It's good that you are having a great time, just too bad not all of us can with all the bugs and grief.

Speaking as a PvE priest (a priest of a god who is now almost useless on PvE) the recent influx of new gods might be the reason so many folks are selling their priests, instead of needing 2 priest alts they now only need 1.  The fact that priests are horrifically nerfed for PvE would exacerbate this situation since people are far less likely to sell a main than an alt (traditionally priests get traded around a fair bit).  The nerfing of enchanted grass (hence a sharp fall in the price) has also reduced the "upkeep potential" of such priests making them cost more to keep than they save/earn.

The trouble is that this isn't something that could be fixed easily, magic is a high end novelty that no player is going to gain themselves (since the restrictions imposed cut of 90% of PvE gameplay) but certain spells such as CoC, Genesis and Courier are vital for late game trade/skilling/breeding so there is a need for it.  Sadly to be effective at providing for these needs a priest needs to be quite high level (and most quit and sell before they reach that), its far easier to buy a priest, CoC your tools up, CoC some spares up, WoA a set and then sell him on (maybe gaining or losing a couple of silver coins, far less than the casts would have cost in the first place).  This might be why there is a slight increase in sales (a larger volume of priestly accounts changing hands) but I doubt it accounts for all the numbers.

All I can say is that I don't think you understand the problem at all since you focused on the wrong things in my post and completely missed the point and there's really no way to counter lack of understanding when someone does not want to understand, so I'll leave it at that. It's good that you are having a great time, just too bad not all of us can with all the bugs and grief.

What you call grief are just minor inconveniences of interacting with other people who dont have the exact same goals as you. It is a multiplayer game, dont forget.

You do crack me up since it's hard to tell whether you're trying to make people upset or actually believe your own words, either way I'm not going to argue with you. It is indeed a multiplayer game - you can tell by all the tall stone walls you need to lock people out, all the people intentionally boxing others in by deeding side to side and all the wrecked roads.

• Like 1

You and your fellow posters, in thread after thread, are trying to paint a picture to new players of this game being Hell on Earth for PVE players because of rampant griefing being everywhere and being accepted, even encouraged by the devs. At the same time you also claim to represent the vast majority of players, which is paradoxical.

I'm not trying to paint any picture to new players. I don't imagine new players rush into the forums. I don't claim to represent anyone but myself. You're jumping to a lot of conclusions and accusing me of things I have no intention of. I am posting because I've been a victim of something badly unpleasant, and I know the situation hasn't changed. I don't like knowing it could happen again, and that it could happen to someone else, and that someone could be a person that was already depressed or in a bad space BEFORE it goes down. You've delivered to me a bunch of times, you know what the area looked like. Come by again and have a look.

What you call grief are just minor inconveniences of interacting with other people who dont have the exact same goals as you. It is a multiplayer game, dont forget.

Have you seen the pictures I've posted? There's disagreement, and then there's harassment.

Hey there,

I'm not really sure if there is a particular reason, or if this has always been this way I just haven't noticed, but recently it appears that so many of us are quitting, selling their toons, taking long breaks, or just disappearing. If I am correct and this is more of a thing right now than usual, is there anyone who might know what's the reasons? I know that a lot of players  I know, respect and am friends with have left due to update notes, changes they didn't like, or personal reasons, so I was wondering what the overall reason might be for other people.

Don't take offense by this post, I'm not judging anyone, I am just wondering :)

How about insted of suddenly being surprised, you (meaning Wurm team) listen to the players, rather than forcing unwanted changes and ignoring pleas for wanted changes? And all this with the bad climate of poorly covered lies (maybe it's just poor communication... fix your communication then).

It's like running to people who keep warning you about fire hazard, yelling "yeah you were right, my house is on fire rigth now, how do i make my house more fires safe?"

How much development time was spent on "Challenge"? That was when everyone was waiting for bridges. How sooner would the promised bridges be live in not "Chanllenge"? How many years-old bugs could be fixed in this time? People give you a HUGE amount of credit, because we love this game, but huge is not unlimited. And you seem to be able to deplete any and all trust laid in you. Basically, being a Wurm player, I feel like the dev team stands above me and pours warm liquid on my head. I hope that answers your question a bit.

(Sorry for multiple edits, but one more thing). After 3 years of watching it, I don't have anymore hopes that Wurm will get better. I just hope that it won't get ruined too soon. I believe some people, who started years before me, already hit the point where they found the game ruined.

Edited by Hula_Girl
  • Like 4

I want the game to improves as much as the next person, but the way some people go on in these forums is embarrassing. Just because I don't whine as much as some people doesn't mean I like the game any less, But I realise that the team is only so big and making games aren't easy. there are tooo many variables to look at when fixing bugs, providing content and making money. Do you think that the devs are blind to these complaints? I think not. We seem give a little gratification to the new things that come to wurm and  continually complain about the bad things. 

Many of your points that you have stated are ones that new players that come see and cant get passed, wurm is a niche game and if it is something that you can handle, research and make an effort you can get passed the initial stages no problem. I don't expect wurm to ever cater fully to people that want everything given to them on a platter and I hope it never does. 

Wurm is my favorite game to date, it has its flaws. I and I hope things get fixed in time and if it gets to the point that i'm am as frustrated as some people here are, I wil probably give it up. But I can't see that happening, because even though it isn't perfect, things are actually getting worked on. We are getting content and bug are being pushed up the priority list. they can only do what they can do.

To me, it's not about how fast the team is working. It's about the decisions that have been made as of late....

- 3 new priests (with the possibility of more) coming to the game that disrupts the Vyn, Mag, and Fo balance on Freedom drastically. With Nahjo's abilities especially. Mag's almost pointless for anyone not wanting to do combat with their priest

- No more wood types on ships. What's the point of making multiple ships of the same type now yet different looks from the feel of the different woodtypes? I feel sorry for the shipbuilders out there. That whole change took the "wind out of my sails" so to speak. I haven't made a ship since

- Multiple threads on theft. While I'm on the fence about some of the concepts on this, it's still highly discouraging and WILL rub off on people

I'd actually argue that the team's almost working too fast. They're not thinking things through. They're not thinking about the consequences of certain actions. We've seen drastic changes of the game in the past 3 months that do not necessarily make this game better. One can argue that some of these changes are even making it worse. While I am all for change, the wrong change can be deadly for a game.

This game is great, but the wrong change does have the potential to set fire to what was once a good thing. That's what I fear the most at the moment.

Edited by Lotus1
  • Like 2

See. All your freedomers, this is why you play on a pvp server. If someone griefs you, you simply bash their deed in and take all their . And kill them in the process

- 3 new priests (with the possibility of more) coming to the game that disrupts the Vyn, Mag, and Fo balance on Freedom drastically. With Nahjo's abilities especially. Mag's almost pointless for anyone not wanting to do combat with their priest

I'm sorry Lotus, but I saw this as a great opportunity to create a priest that has as much utility as a vyn, which was previously untouchable spell wise, for at least pve anyway. It just happens that the spells We are missing out on from the olders 2 don't really matter to us.

We created 3 nahjo. 2 from a fo and a mag and an alt. One is currently 71 faith and the other 2 are just behind. The is with about a months work.

This is an example of an instance where some people see changes as bad things and a good thing to others.

A for the grief part of this thread. I'm not happy about the things that have happened to people. Some of my best neighbours haven't played since they were griefed. All their building are now gone, they were all still there for a very long time. Deed intact. I know they have lost faith in the game....BUT.......there deeds were still there and most importantly, all there characters still had there skill(if you know what I mean). 

I have had this discussion with Garit Many times....If say...."Rolf wiped inde" yes I'd loose my deeds and all that work, but I'd start again and I have many times to date. I know people would be like "i quit, you wiped my deed and all those years of work". People drop deeds all the time with not much thought they are loosing work and time done. But as soon as some one takes something away from them, they feel cheated.

Anyway, Perhaps I'm the minority here and I see this as a game and if things change, I change, accept it or give up. But that's just me. I played WoW for way to long and the time invested is huge, but now I feel that time kinda wasted. But, that's life. We are at where we are at.

Rant over.

Anyway, Perhaps I'm the minority here and I see this as a game and if things change, I change, accept it or give up. But that's just me. I played WoW for way to long and the time invested is huge, but now I feel that time kinda wasted. But, that's life. We are at where we are at.

Just because people complain about something, it doesn't mean they don't think of it as a game. It means that they care about the game and what happens to it. It means they don't want to stop playing due to what they deem as a "negative" change.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that people who are complaining are negative in general. It means we want to see the game steer in a positive direction. Lately, it hasn't felt that positive, at least to me.

• Like 5

Don't make the mistake in thinking I don't like the game as much as the people that are complaining. I try to advocate for the game where ever I go, Youtube and mmo sites, always commenting on posts and threads. But, I like to think I am realistic when it comes to looking at game making and not just think about where I sit in the game and how it affects me. I constantly try to look at the obstacles devs face and how long things can take to do and just because the developers priorities don't match the players all the time, doesn't mean they don't care for the game and its progression. We are the human race, most of the time we mainly think about ourselves and how things affect us.

Anyway, that's how I see it, at least for me :)

• Like 1

Don't make the mistake in thinking I don't like the game as much as the people that are complaining. I try to advocate for the game where ever I go, Youtube and mmo sites, always commenting on posts and threads. But, I like to think I am realistic when it comes to looking at game making and not just think about where I sit in the game and how it affects me. I constantly try to look at the obstacles devs face and how long things can take to do and just because the developers priorities don't match the players all the time, doesn't mean they don't care for the game and its progression. We are the human race, most of the time we mainly think about ourselves and how things affect us.

Anyway, that's how I see it, at least for me :)

When did I say that I don't think you like the game as much as the next person? I'm just saying not to think the people who complain don't like the game. There was nothing there specifically directed at you to say that you don't like the game as much. ;)