Sign in to follow this  
Yldrania

How come so many are quitting right now?

like other said,because the staff keeps getting worse and worse people,because il probably get a warning for saying that,

because now the wiki that was finally getting better its been brought back into the wiki bullies system,now officially endorsed,

because for some reason people its not longer willing to just accept getting griefied  and banned for it on pve if they try to stop the grievers.

because while a few thing that were considered features and liked by everybody for years are considered bugs and "fixed",we still need to deal with tons of teleporting bugs and the brand new invisibilty problems.

• Like 4

Are you sure people are quitting? The game is more healthy than it ever has been.

http://jenn001.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/paying.html

There's a spike last summer, but that's pretty expected considering the huge PR and content push around the Xanadu launch.

I see 1000 less than last summer this week on that graph. 16.5% of the people here last summer aren't here now. That's not more healthy than it has ever been.

EDIT: InB4 Xanadu. Yes, but they didn't stay.

Edited by Audrel

I see 1000 less than last summer this week on that graph. 16.5% of the people here last summer aren't here now. That's not more healthy than it has ever been.

EDIT: InB4 Xanadu. Yes, but they didn't stay.

I don't know exact numbers but I'd be very surprised if more than 5% of trial accounts converted to long-term premium members. This is a very niche game.

Edited by Chakron

Shouldn't it be more of, how come we aren't getting so many new players right now?  This game needs newer ways of getting fluxes of people.  Stagnant growth is not healthy for a game.  Need to look at how larger sandbox games advertise and focus on taking the same roads.  

I don't know exact numbers but I'd be very surprised if more than 5% of trial accounts converted to long-term premium members. This is a very niche game.

Rolf watches the same numbers. He knows how many returning players he needs to finance the game. If it is a problem to him, he will do what he needs to do to stay in business. He's done a fine job of staying in business this long so he must know pretty well how many paying customers he needs. Us speculating on the health of the game is rather useless. There is only really one opinion on health that matters. His. :-)

• Like 5

Rolf watches the same numbers. He knows how many returning players he needs to finance the game. If it is a problem to him, he will do what he needs to do to stay in business. He's done a fine job of staying in business this long so he must know pretty well how many paying customers he needs. Us speculating on the health of the game is rather useless. There is only really one opinion on health that matters. His. :-)

I only have raw data to offer. On a related note: Rolf is doing much better than "staying in business" :)

• Like 1

Shouldn't it be more of, how come we aren't getting so many new players right now?  This game needs newer ways of getting fluxes of people.  Stagnant growth is not healthy for a game.  Need to look at how larger sandbox games advertise and focus on taking the same roads.

uhhhh

they actually fix their bugs, don't have the severity of the ones we currently have (and if they do, they close servers and fix it immediately), they balance their gameplay, don't have mods involved in pvp, don't have mechanics that limit playtime (fatigue) then tell players that legitimately hit it that they "play too much", don't actually believe that IP blocks work, and they don't pvp on dev accounts (sparta)

@ Audrel that's the exact problem with this game and why it doesn't get fixed - Rolf knows what he needs to finance the game and that he currently has a monopoly, thus he needs to do the bare minimum to keep those numbers up and all is fine

meanwhile, it's quite obvious that there are money issues, and I'd even go as far as to speculate that the art budget got cut, thus leading to the recent ship model fiasco

Edited by MisterTeddy
  • Like 2

We are told to shut up and take it , you cant treat players who pay for a product like mushrooms.

Off-topic: I love this phrase and use it all the time, mostly political but it can fit anywhere. It's great to see it used.

Geeeeez that was a quick deletion of my post.

Hope at least it got copypasted as feedback.

Add one to the list, and not just from today:  Ask players for feedback, ignore said feedback in their face (or delete their post).

By the way, you won't get much in alleviating players' doubts about staff corruption by silencing their slightest mention of staff corruption.   You can't cover the sun with a finger.

Edited by Mordraug
  • Like 13

because pvp is still horribly unbalanced, pve is getting griefed in a style that even pvp would condemn, any time staff do something wrong it is denied and covered-up (and people are banned for saying so), price went up a year ago, the game is still riddled with bugs that any sane gamer would find to be completely unacceptable in a full-price post-release game (ie. memory leaks, severe client- and server-side resource management issues, positional desync), off-the-charts latency, and its most innovative features are hardly ever capitalized on

it shouldn't be a surprise why people are quitting

but y'know, aside from all that

I'll shorten it:  Staff needs a serious cleaning up, Wurm's too small a community for us to not know who's who =)

Tsk tsk, Mordraug. You know you can only complain how and when you are told to and what topics you can complain about!

That's another peeve here. Hidden agendas and the censorship that goes on to remove anything that punches that agenda upside the head. Certain people who can be as vile and toxic as they like and post whatever they want, wherever the want but if you mimic them in reply, you get your posts removed or worse. I shouldn't be surprised though because it works that way in the game too. Doing unto some others as they have done to you is griefing while what they did is not. But that too fits the agendas.

I'm sure that has a good deal of bearing on where 1000 people went since last summer.

Edited by Audrel
  • Like 7

Especially with how the devs claimed they'd be doing tons of work, ironing out bugs over the summer only to take a two week break, I know a few people who are a bit bleh about that whole strategy.

In Europe, it is mandatory to take a holiday. Many just choose to do it during the summer. In the Nordic area particularly, where the sun only shines a few months a year, summer is very special. I think it is important for them to take this holiday. They will be back to work soon :)

• Like 3

Hey there,

I'm not really sure if there is a particular reason, or if this has always been this way I just haven't noticed, but recently it appears that so many of us are quitting, selling their toons, taking long breaks, or just disappearing. If I am correct and this is more of a thing right now than usual, is there anyone who might know what's the reasons? I know that a lot of players  I know, respect and am friends with have left due to update notes, changes they didn't like, or personal reasons, so I was wondering what the overall reason might be for other people.

Don't take offense by this post, I'm not judging anyone, I am just wondering :)

Alot of reasons i feel.

#1 The in game economy has fallen almost to the point of no return.

#2 The silent change of the traders has reduced ingame coin, as many who have traders will contest they are not earning what they once did, this is disputed but seems to be the case.

#3 What cost 2 years ago ingame 10 silvers is now 5 silvers ingame and thats if your lucky within the game economy. It is almost better to sell to the token now rather then trying to craft and sell merchandise to other players. 

#4 The constant changes going on, some good some not so good some took to long to get out people got tired of waiting.

#5 The lack of GMs not taking griefing more serious to the PVE servers. GMs following through with policy and rules and enforcing whats there.

#6 The price-  that's the biggest complaint. We are in a global recession in this real world and this game is an older game not all the bells and wistles the newer games are coming out with for graphics and such and its price to play premium level is the same as those new games on the market if not higher. Want more players, Advertise, Advertise,Advertise! Change the cost of premium time. Run specials monthly semi monthly on silver so people can buy more silver. Add new and interesting things that players can buy at the traders even if they are one shot items or a limited time special. It will in return bring more money for the game over all. It will get more players interested and keep players. By lowering the cost premium time the existing players will be more apt to premium up alts.

#7 Go back to tradition of welcoming new players rather then saying such things like i seen the other day where a new player came on in GL freedom and asked what should i do, im a new player. The experienced player in GL freedom responded "you should quit and leave this game while you still have a social life."

There was a time when playing this game, CA people was very helpful, not rude and not unwilling to help or give answers to questions asked. So many now say go to wiki. There was a time when people set up new deeds and players would say congrats and it was friendly, now its like oh gee another deed.  There was a time when Griefing of any kind was not tolerated. Favoritism is also a problem. Unspoken of but its there. Look at the staff first then look at players that are disruptive and then look at prices those three things if fixed will do the game a lot of good in my openion.

Edited by Yamuliss
  • Like 5

i haven't noticed anyone leaving at all but hey let's be dramatic 

• Like 4

Just a look on the sub forum alone well, it looks bad personally the pvp vs pve wars, the insane amount of theft. It's sad actually that the community is tearing itself apart without any signs of improvement.  :( 

• Like 6

Add one to the list, and not just from today:  Ask players for feedback, ignore said feedback in their face (or delete their post).

By the way, you won't get much in alleviating players' doubts about staff corruption by silencing their slightest mention of staff corruption.   You can't cover the sun with a finger.

Frankly this is one reason that I am also trying some other games out now.

I have sold a  number ( 6) accounts, and  slowly trimming my expenses in Wurm . This is being done to move away from the cloak and dagger rules that don't hold up to the game mechanics, with very little thought to the players.

We are told to shut up and take it , you cant treat players who pay for a product like mushrooms.

Wurm is a great game , but I don't trust the rule makers to be constant and not get personal in their choices.

Cheers Dadd

Yes I am also going to let some subscriptions die and let some of my deeds pop.

Haven't decided yet whether I will leave for good but I am certainly testing some waters.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 8

i haven't noticed anyone leaving at all but hey let's be dramatic

Go back to EVE, nerd.

heh I don't see a reason why people are arguing of what could be the reason...what if it's simply ALL the reasons you guys mention? I mean everyone who leaves, leaves for their own personal reasons...

that can be game related like "i can't stand those bugs anymore" or "the devs don't listen to me" or "I don't like how boring this game is for me" etc. and those are perfectly legit reasons...since well, there ARE other games out there and rolf is not responsible to make a game that fits to everyone or satisfies everyone. From what i have seen, those people complaining about bugs not being fixed are complaining about SPECIFIC bugs not being fixed. Wurm Dev team is fixing bugs all the time, thats a fact!

Then there might be other reasons, like starting a family, moving, playing other games, work, family in general, vacations, spending time outside with friends etc. and this stuff happens all the time.

it could be just coincidence that it seems "alot more" are leaving...unless ALL people are reporting why they are leaving, we will never know what the main reasons were. And we will always be biased based on those who are currently the loudest crowd.

• Like 4

a recent patch was put in on 21 January 2015 - 10:52 PM  - 

• Converting mayors now check kingdom influence

X3cf4n5.png

This is so silly I can't even believe it. This happened on Chaos, caused unhappiness and therefor change was made. Rolf why do you give the green light when it is clearly bugged, going against the new patch notes? As it was a staff member who converted the deed, it looks even worse. I'm very disappointed in the ruling. If I happen to be wrong here, it's because lack of information in patch notes and if so I apologize.

Edited by Sharkin
  • Like 1

I'm always amazed by how surprised people seem. Every year, at the same time, just about everyone in Sweden goes on holiday, and yet every year, the entire wurm community wonders where the devs have gone (and seem equally surprised that they might need a break). There will also be plenty of Summer left for bug hunting when they get back.

As for 'many of us quitting/selling etc.' in the OP. There are always some sales and quitting going on, just as new players are always appearing. I believe it's more a perception gained by peole who have been around a certain length of time, once you've settled in and started to take notice of the bigger picture, that's when you start noticing people leaving/selling etc. when really it had been happening all along. Just with anything else, there are occasional fluxes in the number of such at any time.

What he said, 100%

• Like 2

when a subscription elapses send them an email asking why.

not everyone will answer, and even some may say anything just

to get it out of the way. But its a good barometer to know why people

stop playing.

right now im taking yet another break.

reason: boredom.

boredom caused by nerfs that make the game more tedious for me.

also boredom due to grinding for days without seeing anyone in local

even tho im next to a starting point. ( maybe too many servers caused

that? i dont know.

so i grind and grind and it comes a point where i ask myself, whats the use?

noone will buy my stuff at a price worth my effort. and the things i work on

have been or will be nerfed. why? because god forbid something

causes fun in wurm. it will get nerfed.

currently playing ultima online.

• Like 2

when a subscription elapses send them an email asking why.

not everyone will answer, and even some may say anything just

to get it out of the way. But its a good barometer to know why people

stop playing.

right now im taking yet another break.

reason: boredom.

boredom caused by nerfs that make the game more tedious for me.

also boredom due to grinding for days without seeing anyone in local

even tho im next to a starting point. ( maybe too many servers caused

that? i dont know.

so i grind and grind and it comes a point where i ask myself, whats the use?

noone will buy my stuff at a price worth my effort. and the things i work on

have been or will be nerfed. why? because god forbid something

causes fun in wurm. it will get nerfed.

currently playing ultima online.

try out epic or chaos. The biggest + for me is that even lowtimes there is 10+ people online, going to the point there is 10+ from your village online. Alot of community events, fights, deed buildings and so on. :) I do ofc grind quietly a few hours a day but i know that alot of really strong accounts are not grinding, but doing what is needed and getting skills from that.

Not quitting, and haven't seen anyone in my circles quit, but I'd be spending a lot more money on the game if the cost per character hadn't gone up and if there was a discount for subscribing multiple accounts. Aside from that, honestly, every game sees their dry spells. Summer especially. Family vacations, holidays, nice weather, whatever. It's just part of the eco system. Video game forums are notorious for displaying only one side of things. 

• Like 1