Sign in to follow this  
Yldrania

How come so many are quitting right now?

WURM will be ok. I remember some time ago after the PvP fiasco and the shutting down of JK and before Indy that WURM was a veritable ghost town. It was a good day when you typed /who and saw 20 people on. Most game companies would have closed the doors. 

Edited by Sarcaticous

but where i live in game sure seems DEAD.

That is the sad state of a game where players have ownership over land instead of having npc cities where you go do your crafting etc. It means there is nobody around most of the time. 

You neighbour plays 3 hours each day and you play 3 hours yourself, that means there are 21 hours in the day where your neighbour is not online and *nobody* is around in his "city". Add to that the fact that players in Wurm have numerous deeds on different servers and your neighbours might not even come back to your server until 2 weeks from now. Add to that the fact that your other neighbour might be playing another game atm and won't log in until next month while still paying his upkeep.

So a builtup server will always seem like a ghost town in a game like Wurm. It's something I have thought about a lot, and there is simply no solution to it unfortunately. It has nothing to do with whether the game is doing well or not financially. 

Not everyone wants neighbors so i think it is wonderful when my area is "dead" means i have that space all to myself. :)

The game has its problems, but they have caused no bigger temporary loss of players than it was in the past.

Edited by Propheteer

There will always be players who are dissatisfied with the game or staff or whatever and quit.

There will be players who are dissatisfied with the game yet continue playing.

There will always be players who just go with the flow.

There are all kinds of people in this game. However, this happens with any game.

Having said all that, the recent changes to the core of the game (ie. the new priests, etc) I would think would worry more people than normal and we might see a few more people leave than normal. It's a core piece of the game afterall that will cause imbalances here and there.

Edited by Lotus1

Since the first time i ever logged as a f2p player, the game population had keep growing year after year...

My 2i

Not everyone wants neighbors so i think it is wonderful when my area is "dead" means i have that space all to myself. :)

I don't think the game would feel so dead if people were living in 'survival' style structures or log cabins etc.

But walking around and seeing huge deeds that resemble castles and cities, all lying vacant, makes the game feel empty rather than 'survival in the woods' where you expect it to be somewhat empty.

At least if there were more NPCs walking around larger, built up deeds, it wouldn't feel so dead when you walk by.

That's why I sold the only built-up deed I've ever had and now anytime I own a deed, it's usually just a small house with a huge forest/farm, as it doesn't feel so depressingly empty.

• Like 1

but where i live in game sure seems DEAD.

Our area has lots of new people moving in. It's like it server open day again. we've been converting priests, blessing altars, talking to each other so that people don't tread on each other toes deeding so close. On the other hand my mountain deed doesnt see people around it for many months on end.

Not seeing people doesn't mean the game is dying or dead.

Lets face it the majority of people you never see, most don't speak in global chat and never speak in the forums.

Edited by Milosanx
  • Like 1

I don't think the game would feel so dead if people were living in 'survival' style structures or log cabins etc.

But walking around and seeing huge deeds that resemble castles and cities, all lying vacant, makes the game feel empty rather than 'survival in the woods' where you expect it to be somewhat empty.

I agree with you on that. But it's also one of the good features of Wurm to support different play styles - and for a lot of people their preferred style is to build castles and cities. It's certainly not my style but their play style is just as valid as mine is.

Personally I would like 3 different types of servers in the future:

• Freedom (PvE, with the current rule-set)

Competition (PvP, with a rule set like on Epic now)

Survival (PvE, but with Valrei mobs, limited terra-forming and much more difficult building, for example: wooden structures need double the materials they need now, stone structures need 5 times the materials)

And - for the time being - just one server for each of these types.

• Like 3

I like my deed being in a relatively quiet area. I have neighbours, but there's no pressure around, and that suits me just fine.
Friends are leaving because things get broken, and then the Devs move onto something else, shiny and new, instead of fixing the old stuff. I'm quite glad I have my deed locked down because of the permissions being borked, and that nothing I own will be ruined if someone bounced down the mountain I -chose- to live under, onto my deed. That's okay.
I wish stuff would get fixed. People who are already well-established do pretty much all the work and earn all the silver (meaning any up-and-comers have a great difficulty getting anywhere, and that's IF the Big Players don't ###### them over for lols/competition), and personally I go in-alliance for most of the things I need.
I live prem-to-prem, month-to-month, and right now only have one prem character, my main. I can't afford to run more than that, and it's hard to gather the funds to do so, but that's okay. I'm not angry or upset about that (bar when prices rise).

Just... fix broken mechanics, and stop censoring the community as-and-when it suits. Sometimes, people criticise the Powers That Be for a good reason. That should be listened to, and usually if someone is just talking ######, it becomes fairly obvious.

And I'll add my voice to 'Please actually PUNISH griefers on Freedom, and if you can't/won't, don't punish the victims that retaliate'.

EDIT: One last thing, but this is to the Community. Stop being ##### to new players! I've read and heard and seen incidences of newbies just asking for help or basic questions because they're confused, and people in GL (thankfully Release has a nice, if small, playerbase for the most part; we do - as all do - have bad apples, and they know who they are) treating them like crap and mocking them. If I hadn't had people around supporting me/encouraging me when I started, I'd've been put off by that sort of treatment too, and it doesn't surprise me one jot when newbies leave because of it.

Edited by LilyPhoenix
  • Like 3

I agree with you on that. But it's also one of the good features of Wurm to support different play styles - and for a lot of people their preferred style is to build castles and cities. It's certainly not my style but their play style is just as valid as mine is.

Survival (PvE, but with Valrei mobs, limited terra-forming and much more difficult building, for example: wooden structures need double the materials they need now, stone structures need 5 times the materials)

Oh, of course. I'm not saying to remove large cities...that's one of the best things about Wurm.

It would just be nice to see them with a bit more 'hustle and bustle'.

It can feel like a ghost town, even with 5-10 people online in a large city like deed, never mind with less.

I quit for 2 years purely down to the constant spreading of the population of players. I first started playing back when there was just 2 servers. Wild & JK-H. And thats what got me hooked, I ran around Newtown and literally saw random people everywhere. Local always had 2-3 people at least. Then run down to New SouthPort was filled with people in local, greeting, active projects everywhere. Wurm had a huge community feel to it. It was alive, busy and active.

But now, the game feels like its a private server version of wurm. Theres a stupid amount of servers. Not enough players to fill them. My friends join wurm, I lead them to my new deed and they question where is everyone. Now a-days you're lucky to see someone in local.

For people who have played WoW and then a WoW private server, you'll completely understand what I mean.

Edit:

I've recently came back from that 2 year break. But I can still ride for 20 minutes and not find a single person in local. Its a sad sad shame.

Edited by Headhunter
  • Like 1

But now, the game feels like its a private server version of wurm. Theres a stupid amount of servers. Not enough players to fill them. My friends join wurm, I lead them to my new deed and they question where is everyone. Now a-days you're lucky to see someone in local.

This is why you never see anyone. The population is spread over so many servers there is no single large concentration. If there were one server then there would naturally be a higher concentration of people. But I don't think there would be as many total people playing. 

The time investment in travel to gather at any particular location is what makes Wurm seem unpopulated and discourages player interaction on a casual and quick basis. Ultima Online was the first game to have it right when they created Rune travel, with also Books to store many locations within. Purchase these from any mage, charge it up and you would have the ability to instantly travel to any location. Most Runebooks had a stock Rune of each major city bank and were sold that way. Always at these bank city locations you would see players gathering to sell their wares or services, enabling a lot of player interaction.

Wurm already has the capability to enable this through the Epic Portal system, if this system were enabled on all servers for fast travel; yet, with the refusal to do this due to some strange insistence that travel anywhere *must* be very time consuming, this has never happened. Not much of a concern to me really since I mainly play the game doing my own thing but this really hurts the social aspect of the game for those so inclined who equate player interaction to the success of the game.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
  • Like 6

I completely agree with Ayes. I can't be bothered to sit in a boat and sail for upwards of 2 hours just to visit someone or sell someone something. Especailly for people who have time consuming jobs and that few hours is all the they have available to play wurm.

• Like 4

I would do survival if it was attached to home (ie sail there like you can to Chaos). I dont' want to give up my main deed for any new things. 

Griefers don't care about rules or GMs or forum posts. They work within the game mechanics only. Changing the game mechanics to not allow griefing is the only possible solution. Anything else changes nothing.

• Like 3

I have to agree that an end game in this game is an end all for this game though. World of warcraft is mention but how many of the elite players with max leveled chars of each type fully twinked out still play? They reached end game in arenas, battlefields, missions, pvp, rankings. Now they get to run around looking like badasses idolized by everyone in the exact same maps, hearing the exact same comments from people, never achieving or having anything to really do. Add terraforming to WoW and people may never leave.

Wurm is incredibly unique and something many sandboxes strived to achieve (Darkfall, shadowbane, etc.). The world here is 100% player shaped, driven and expoubded upon. Economy = player driven, community = player driven, terraforming = player driven. The devs create the maps and we change them to our suiting. Look at the original maps of inde compared to inde now. New islands, new land, missing islands and land, mossing mountains, new mountains, we control the pace and structure of all in the game. To those who continue to play this is the ultimate appeal to the game.

I get a full plate / glimmer set and still have many other things to do. I create a fleet of ships that makes the ancient war greeks grovel and still can build my deed better or craft 100 things to pretty it up. I complete that and can begin trade of the things I have mastered. I get bored of PvE I can freely go to chaos and PvP with all my gained skills and knowledge. I want to have PvP from the beginning in a whole new world? I make an epic portal and start fresh in a PvP server. All of this content including in the one premium cost. All other expenses are mine to make and mine alone, they are not required.

I take breaks from the game because I want to, because I can, and because it will al still be foable when I get back.

This game is for some and for the rest there is minecraft.

You should Post this to other gaming forums. This is an amazing description of what Wurm is.  Awesome Advertisement.    Rolf are you seeing this????

• Like 1

Yeah...Wurm 1.0 runs in Java...I'm talking about a 'sequel', being made from scratch in something more modern than the current game engine they made in java.

We had to wait many, many years for bridges. The past year, how many large updates have there been other than that? Not many.

With a new engine, designed from scratch and with some forward planning built in, new features could be designed and implemented in a fraction of the time.

Not to mention, it would remove the infamous spaghetti code that builds up after updating and patching a game with band-aid solutions for 10 years.

When you have a small development team it is not easy to just go make a new version.  There needs to be constant support and development for the people already customers.   When you have 5 people as employees,  and 400 bugs to fix and new features to code to keep your clients interested, who is going to take on the daunting task of rewritting the entire game in a new engine??

Griefers don't care about rules or GMs or forum posts. They work within the game mechanics only. Changing the game mechanics to not allow griefing is the only possible solution. Anything else changes nothing.

Not true at all. The enclosure rule was largely respected, as is the highway rule. I have yet to see a destroyed highway in all my travels.

Another thread where the most spoken minority complain.....

Regardless of what anyone says, let's be honest here:

The vast majority are the ones who download Wurm and give up within 2 days because of either or more of following reasons:

1) You can't get the game to start and won't bother starting a thread on a forum for a game you have no relation to, it's easier to just move on to another game.

2) If you try out a new game and you don't understand the controllers or the interface you are not likely to give it more than 1 or 2 tries unless you have a friend who already plays the game and can explain it to you. This might come as a shock - But the Wurm interface is despite its recent additions still very unintuitive and cluttery.

3) When you start the game you get all kinds of graphical glitches and unless you have an Nvidia card (and sometimes even if) you have to lower pretty much everything to the lowest setting and turn tons of stuff off in order to make it stop. After you've done that the game looks very much like a game from the last decade and you wonder how a 400kb Java client still manages to fill up your 16GB RAM after 2 hours ingame.

4) After some time of playing your processor is glowing more from heat than the campfire you created and you realize that the game doesn't give many craps about your graphics card but is rather reliant on your processor.

5) The area around the spawn is full of crap and all you really want to do is build a house so that you have somewhere to call home, but you can't build a house anywhere near where you spawned. If you point this out in one of the open channels people yell at you, call you lazy and tell you to go further off from the spawn. You don't really understand why, don't you have any sort of homebase in this game?

6) Playing alone is too hard and if you stay for long enough for your newbie buff to wear off (which is highly unlikely, but if you binge play for your first 2 days you might get there) you will become killed by everything. Even when things don't kill you you are lost for directions and noone seems willing to take you in since they think you're a thief or spy and your mere presence in their village might be a threat to everything they've worked for since they themselves started playing.

7) Actually asking questions in the open channels ingame is often met with "GO TO CA" and I can't speak for the new players, but if I had been them I probably wouldn't know what CA is or why I can't just ask actively chatting players what I want to know.

I skipped a lot of reasons that I could think of because the post is long enough already, I just wanted to make this point: The majority of players who find Wurm don't stay, which is why the ones that it appeals to despite all its flaws are valuable and shouldn't be brushed off with the "minority" trash stamp. The "complaining minority" might be a minority, but so are you for even staying with the game past the initiation period. Should all your opinions be brushed off as well because you're a minority niche gamer? Native Americans are a minority in the US too, doesn't mean they shouldn't have a say about the way they're treated.

If you all who call us "whiners", "minority", "complainers", "exaggeration" etc and so on blah blah are really all that bothered by it then perhaps you should realize that we are unhappy for a reason and support us in wanting to make the game better. It's not like we're trying to slight you or ruin your fun for wanting the devs to actually fix their bugs or give feedback on what they're doing and all other reasonable complaints we have. Many of you had the luxury of starting to play the game after it went out of beta so you never had to spend years thinking that all the trivial bugs you reported would become fixed before it was finally released - Some of us didn't have that luxury and we actually thought that the game would improve once it was out of its beta stage. It didn't improve, the bugs didn't become fixed and instead they were piled on top of each other with each new untested feature so excuse us for running out of patience. Lots of newer players have run out of patience as well, so it's not like it's exclusive for old players either, as a sidenote. You typically become tired of the game faster the worse bugs and grief you're exposed to and you only stick around if your time invested is greater than the suffering you have to withstand. Most players look for a game that's actually fun, as surprising as that might sound, and if coming off as whiners or whatever is what we have to do to try to make it so then so be it.

Edited by Aeris
  • Like 9

Not true at all. The enclosure rule was largely respected, as is the highway rule. I have yet to see a destroyed highway in all my travels.

GoodbyeThreeLane_zpst5hidhta.png

There ya go.

There ya go.

Congrats, you found a single case of someone breaking the rules? That hardly disproves the fact that it is indeed largely respected.