Sign in to follow this  
Yldrania

How come so many are quitting right now?

Hey there,

I'm not really sure if there is a particular reason, or if this has always been this way I just haven't noticed, but recently it appears that so many of us are quitting, selling their toons, taking long breaks, or just disappearing. If I am correct and this is more of a thing right now than usual, is there anyone who might know what's the reasons? I know that a lot of players  I know, respect and am friends with have left due to update notes, changes they didn't like, or personal reasons, so I was wondering what the overall reason might be for other people.

Don't take offense by this post, I'm not judging anyone, I am just wondering :)

• Like 4

In honesty probably because the updates seemed to come to a slow.  They made bridges, and really for most those aren't that game-changing.  Updates sort of give people a bit of hope that progress is still being made, it was good publicity, and right now it feels like things are just on a hold.  

• Like 4

Because a larger elevation server fixes PVP you see.

• Like 7

In honesty probably because the updates seemed to come to a slow.  They made bridges, and really for most those aren't that game-changing.  Updates sort of give people a bit of hope that progress is still being made, it was good publicity, and right now it feels like things are just on a hold.  

Especially with how the devs claimed they'd be doing tons of work, ironing out bugs over the summer only to take a two week break, I know a few people who are a bit bleh about that whole strategy.

• Like 1

Usual summer time happenings. Also usually seems to be a snowball effect. When someone see's another account sell for 200e, they might be tempted to sell theirs too.

Especially with how the devs claimed they'd be doing tons of work, ironing out bugs over the summer only to take a two week break, I know a few people who are a bit bleh about that whole strategy.

I'm always amazed by how surprised people seem. Every year, at the same time, just about everyone in Sweden goes on holiday, and yet every year, the entire wurm community wonders where the devs have gone (and seem equally surprised that they might need a break). There will also be plenty of Summer left for bug hunting when they get back.

As for 'many of us quitting/selling etc.' in the OP. There are always some sales and quitting going on, just as new players are always appearing. I believe it's more a perception gained by peole who have been around a certain length of time, once you've settled in and started to take notice of the bigger picture, that's when you start noticing people leaving/selling etc. when really it had been happening all along. Just with anything else, there are occasional fluxes in the number of such at any time.

• Like 18

because pvp is still horribly unbalanced, pve is getting griefed in a style that even pvp would condemn, any time staff do something wrong it is denied and covered-up (and people are banned for saying so), price went up a year ago, the game is still riddled with bugs that any sane gamer would find to be completely unacceptable in a full-price post-release game (ie. memory leaks, severe client- and server-side resource management issues, positional desync), off-the-charts latency, and its most innovative features are hardly ever capitalized on

it shouldn't be a surprise why people are quitting

• Like 13

From my own experience people play more during summertime. I know a lot of people who get bored after they built their house because theres no PVE at all.

because pvp is still horribly unbalanced, pve is getting griefed in a style that even pvp would condemn, any time staff do something wrong it is denied and covered-up (and people are banned for saying so), price went up a year ago, the game is still riddled with bugs that any sane gamer would find to be completely unacceptable in a full-price post-release game (ie. memory leaks, severe client- and server-side resource management issues, positional desync), off-the-charts latency, and its most innovative features are hardly ever capitalized on

it shouldn't be a surprise why people are quitting

That whole situation is getting blown way out of proportion right now.

Sheesh give the Swedish a break... its not like they get out of the snow often throughout the year. ;)

• Like 1

I'm always amazed by how surprised people seem. Every year, at the same time, just about everyone in Sweden goes on holiday, and yet every year, the entire wurm community wonders where the devs have gone (and seem equally surprised that they might need a break). There will also be plenty of Summer left for bug hunting when they get back.

It's probably not so much surprise at them taking a vacation as it is disappointment with how they made a big fuzz about this being the summer of bug slaying and then showing little to nothing to make us believe it. So far they've fixed some bugs while managing to reintroduce others (by inducing old and unfixed code along with new updates, as usual) and then they went on a vacation. Giving us attitude about our disappointment won't change our stance really, what we want is communication and proof of action.

I'm not going to pretend to know what goes on in the head of the people who've quit recently though, but that's just my 2 cents on it based on friends who've quit or stopped paying in the past. It's very similar to when the game went 1.0. but still reeked of bugs so that the only thing we had as proof of it going out of beta was the increased pricing.

• Like 5

You have to also consider a large number are alts that are being sold, not main toons. During summer for me it is all about family so I spend more time on the forums sneaking in on an auction or ninja posting on an update. But mostly just lurking and reading. At the end of summer I will be much more active but my alts serve no real purpose during summer so I can sell one or two and make some money to pay for a small vacation. The perspective goes both ways that summer brings more playtime but for others it brings more family time.

• Like 1

ummm no end game, nothing but a grind like it's a job more than a game. other games coming out that can give a similar experience but have some action and point to the game. take your pick

• Like 1

Because its still the same old game its been for years and absolutely nothing is getting better lol 

Plus the staff and devs are really awful lol

also idk but seems many are disappointed challenge hasnt been started again 

Edited by New_Unsleep

I hate the excuse of no end game. Pacman had no end game yet everyone remembers playing that non stop to eat ghosts or get the high score. There is at least one mechanic that those who stay enjoy, end game is not the end all. Personally I don't like games with an end game because you push so hard to "beat it" that once you are done you are left with only the filler but no more drive. This game has much to offer to every player.... after all Zalor, you are still here aren't you? And it certainly is not the modern graphics or action packed fights and cutscenes.

• Like 2

Patch notes and in game mechanics need to be explained BETTER!

Wurm is known for its heavy grinding and it does take time to do things... we all know that but keeping stuff a secret I.E Priest spells etc is just silly

there are certain things in game that are unknown and should be public knowledge in patch notes etc...

Recently a Deed on Epic server was converted to another kingdom... this deed had several towers around it including 3 x Deeds surrounding it

a recent patch was put in on 21 January 2015 - 10:52 PM  - 

• Converting mayors now check kingdom influence

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/117447-new-tapestries/?hl=%2Bdeed+%2Binfluence#entry1200701

this was to stop the ninja converting to other kingdoms etc.

After a Support ticket was made this was the reply

X3cf4n5.png

now you wonder why you are losing people when an entire deed gets converted and a patch is put in place that later on is ruled to be intentional?

all i ask for is DETAILED patch notes on what has actually been done. and More information on game mechanics etc

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

• Like 11

Pacman was designed as an arcade game with the sole intent of getting the player addicted while getting progressively more difficult in an attempt to kill the player because when the players dies he / she has to pay more to keep playing

sounds just like wurm

most good games these days are designed with some strategic, narrative, or other type(s) of depth to keep the player interested, not just addict them because they will be playing it on a console / PC where measured playtime only matters in units of hours, days, weeks, and months, not seconds and minutes

• Like 1

But you know you love pacman just like you love wurm :).

On topic I do agree and would love to see more clarity in the patch notes. I also thought that this was discussed by the game devs as something that was going to start being done.

You are all wrong...it's not summer reasons...PVE reasons...PVP reasons...bridge reasons...new clothing reasons...tapestry reasons...sheep reasons... griefing reasons...poor Euro economy reasons...bizarre village permission reasons....Xanadu lag reasons...Xanadu 'all creatures are on the mountain sides of the North West reasons..

I'ts because the first passenger on a cog is no longer in the crows nest..... 

And then that whole Berris is OP, and hasn't been nerfed yet thing....

• Like 11

I have sold a  number ( 6) accounts, and  slowly trimming my expenses in Wurm . This is being done to move away from the cloak and dagger rules that don't hold up to the game mechanics, with very little thought to the players.

We are told to shut up and take it , you cant treat players who pay for a product like mushrooms.

Wurm is a great game , but I don't trust the rule makers to be constant and not get personal in their choices.

Cheers Dadd

• Like 25

I'll tell you why I stepped back from it. I'm not looking for conversation about it or opinions about it or comments for it or against my reasons but here it is.

There was a post a while back that the new Dropwurmian gummybutt bouncing could take people over walls on deeds with/near slopes and you need to rearrange your deeds. I have a very large deed. Not only is it very large, but it has a lot of high slopes. At the same time, we got bridges. The solution turned out to be to use 3 bridges and rearrange some walls so the slops are not even able to accessed to bounce off of. It took nearly a month to complete. It looked great too. The only problem is that the bridges are completely and utterly broken for the use they need to be used for. 

To get from tier 2 to the ground level, I can indeed go down the bridge. It works fine going down the slope. Going up? You can't get up. You can't get up because the gates sealing on tier 2 won't up from the bridge. You have to go all the way around the deed edge and up the only not-bridged slope to get back to my workshop that is 10 tiles from the entrance to the deed. Not only this but the gates have to stay because animals would get onto the bridges and not be able to get off or be lead off and would stand there and die of starvation. 

So now you can't bounce into my deed or into my horses or into my work areas but I can't get into them either without playing Mario Andretti and doing laps to get back to the south side of my deed where I live. My house is on tier 1, ground level, and my workshop and mine is on tier 2. They are separated by a 5 tile bridge that broke my gates and kills my animals making the gates required to be left in place so the animals can't get on.

This doesn't affect the villagers who live at the top. They can get around fine and out the top gatehouse and, like I said, even down my hill and out because they are going the direction the gates open. I have to go to their houses and down their paths to get back to mine 5 tiles away. My deed is about 100 tiles long. When you ride the loop 10 times a day, you might as well circle the server for fun.

• Like 4

As for 'many of us quitting/selling etc.' in the OP. There are always some sales and quitting going on, just as new players are always appearing. I believe it's more a perception gained by peole who have been around a certain length of time, once you've settled in and started to take notice of the bigger picture, that's when you start noticing people leaving/selling etc. when really it had been happening all along. Just with anything else, there are occasional fluxes in the number of such at any time.

Because where I live the only time of year people take long vacations is end of December til January because the weather dictates you do so then.  Where I live it is not uncommon to call in "snowed in" instead of sick. To me it seems strange for people to take time off from work when the weather is so cooperative in getting To Work. We take 4 day weekends in summer but that's about it generally speaking ( almost all people where I live are "Worker" class).

Sweden's customs seem odd to me, but I have gotten used to seeing Rolf disappear for several weeks each summer. Not everyone does things the same way in the world, and that is a good thing I think.

Edited by geode

Please pick from one of the following interchangeable excuses:

It's past New Years, everyone is burned out.

It's past Valentine's day, everyone is burned out.

It's Spring Time, everyone is burned out.

It's Summer Time, everybody is burned out.

School is starting, everyone is burned out.

It's Fall, everyone is burned out.

It's Halloween, everyone is burned out.

It's Winter, everyone is burned out.

It's almost Christmas, everyone is burned out.

It's almost New Years, everyone is burned out.

I don't know why people's first go-to excuse is the time of year it is, predominantly because that fallacy of an excuse is so ridiculously interchangeable that it has absolutely no meaning.

I'm going to start collecting quotes to use in future threads.

The sand must be comfortable for so many people to stick their head into it.

Edited by Dairuka
  • Like 3