Sign in to follow this  
Yldrania

How come so many are quitting right now?

Exactly.  Which it's why it's so funny to see the hypocrisy of this community.

Deed owner last year:  You didn't pay for that land.  I should be able to bash my way in and grief you, even on a PVE server

Same deed owner now:  I demand REAL PVE.  I should not have my unlocked cart stolen!!!!  Theft is PVP!!!

Actually, it's usually different people speaking up at different times. Perhaps a couple have changed their opinions, but there's nothing wrong with changing an opinion.

`Yearly' Graph (1 Day Average)

paying-year.png

What I see in this graph is that we have exactly the same number of players as one year ago, with under 1% variation.

Could you please explain how you came to that conclusion?  What is it that I'm missing here?

The scale on the graph is not particularly detailed, so it is difficult to discern precise numbers, but this is what I'm seeing:

July 2014:  Approximately 6.2k players

July 2015:  Approximately 5.0k players

(6.2k-5.0k)/6.2k = 19.35% decrease in players from this time last year

This means that since last year, about 1 in 5 premium players have unsubscribed.  Again, the numbers are rough and approximate, but I don't see any possible way that the chart data could be interpreted to only show a 1% variation since the same time last year.

So please, either point out something that I am clearly missing, or explain your calculations to reach 1%.  Personally I don't see it, but I've been wrong before.

Edited by Karys
  • Like 1

It's different graphs from different dates.

Anyway, the graph now shows that we have fewer players than exactly 1 year ago - when Xanadu had just released - but that it is growing again "right now".

Edited by Cista

Exactly.  Which it's why it's so funny to see the hypocrisy of this community.

Deed owner last year:  You didn't pay for that land.  I should be able to bash my way in and grief you, even on a PVE server

Same deed owner now:  I demand REAL PVE.  I should not have my unlocked cart stolen!!!!  Theft is PVP!!!

So theft is "pvp", but you are totally cool with wrecking your way into someone's fencing, even with catapults (because siege weapons = PVE am I right?) stealing everything, and killing all animals.

Disgusting....

You got the right idea, but the wrong crowd.

The PvP crowd was the one that chimed up vehemently about the Enclosure rules and why we didn't need them. Most of the vocal PvE'ers were fully against the changes to the Enclosure rules.

• Like 1

I left because I achieved everything I wanted to achieve.

Game is too easy at the end, too hard in the beginning.

But still not simply just for this 1 reason. I'm an different individual as all of you, and for me it has always been hard to keep myself addicted to games.

If i have even 1week break the chances of quiting are very big. in +2years of wurming I only had 2day break at maxium in length, only at the end I had longer breaks and soon left.

Many seem to complain about staff and game mechanics here.

Some other games have 10x more players than wurm and also 10x less staff than wurm..

AND they are not original games but copies from asian games that only get new patches/content 3-6months late compared to asia.

If you got a problem u will get ur answer in 1-2weeks in which time you have either forgotten it, quited or sucked it up. Hard fact in many other games

You always decide what you play and you have to accept not all games go in lines of perfect, even tho there are also some which do great at that (not yet seen any, but seen websites with excellent communications)

My experience from wurm staff (watching in player perspective) is that 2/20 of my tickets were (very) negative.

In both of those two I didnt get my way and it bummed me. Thats usually when people get mad - dont get what they want.

I see many also are focusing on their 1/10's. and forget the 9/10 that went better.

the 18/20 for me went positive and that is very high number imo and always left a smile on my face + which motivated me jump abroad and maybe with my little help the 2/20 for someone becomes 0/20.

Also when few bigger names quit, it seems like MANY are quiting. that gives a wrong illusion :)

• Like 1

That's because 1 leaving player takes 1 to how ever many some people have and it seems they have an army of alts with them. I said somewhere up there that a single player might quit but it could be many premiums and multiple deeds leaving.

Sometimes, its just time to take a break...........................

That game isn't even launched last I heard. (May have in the time since I last read about it.) That's like pre-beta version. Most games look simplistic/basic early on. Wurm is how old now? Wurm is supposed to be past alpha stage, and it looks as simplistic in many respects as a beta version, and seems about as buggy. lol

I mean that game looks the same as all the other 100 survival games that are coming out

It's different graphs from different dates.

Anyway, the graph now shows that we have fewer players than exactly 1 year ago - when Xanadu had just released - but that it is growing again "right now".

Cista, look back at your post on page 6; you quoted and responded to the exact graph I showed in my post above, and then claimed that it was a 1% difference from last year, so no it's not "different graphs from different dates."  I'm looking at the exact same graph you referred to; and I don't see how you could have possibly calculated your 1% from that data.  I'm not saying whether the current numbers are a problem, but let's be realistic and honest about the facts, shall we? ~20% is not the same as 1%, by any stretch of the imagination.

Edited by Karys

I don't think a thread like this is truly helpful for anyone.  I just came back from an almost 3 month break because I was burnt out, this game is a grind we know it, we accept it, sometimes we need to leave it to balance ourselves.  It also has its warts with the longstanding bugs that tend to make every day a chore.  Kill the bugs, polish the systems the devs have said they are working on and deliver results in a timely manner and you would see more activity.  In the end though I suspect the numbers being down now are a function of it being summer.  Say what some will, people do tend to take breaks around this time, and that can include breaks from their chosen MMOs. 

The biggest single reason people might quit right now is the enclosure rule change which allows more things to be bashed. Players who play on PvE want safety, more than anything else. That's why they play there. To remove that safety and not replace it with something is going to make players ragequit.

Mostly it's just random changes causing some plaeyrs to leave. Some players come back and some players are new to it. It's like the give and go of a tide, except the game is getting older and less water is coming in.

Mostly we're all here because it's a sandbox, but that's not the only reason, just the major one. But with the greater array of sandbox MMO's, the competition is stiffer. Wurm either has to become a clone of the best sandbox MMO out there or it has to fill a niche in the sandbox MMO genre. It can't dominate just by being a sandbox.

And it's getting older. All aging MMO's tend to lose people. Most do not have a resurgence for very long. It's just a fact. The vast majority of aging games will never relive their glory days or make a large gain in popularity. The vast majority of succesful companies do not stay with one game either. They make new ones or sequels. Or break up or merge.

I remember a conversation I had with soemoen on Epic when I first started. It went something like this:

Person A: "Hey Wurm Online should be more like WoW."

Person B "But it can't compete with WoW's resources and would fail miserably. It'd just be a sloppy cheap version of WoW and brushed aside. It should fill a niche instead. By filling a niche, it ensures its survival. WoW cannot serve every playstyle or fill every niche. That's where WoW is weak."

I hate you for this post and I hate anyone who says that wurm is not succesful because "it is a niche game"

First of all, how do you know so many people quit because of the enclosure rules? I barely even see new players anymore, and if they quit I want to doubt that they do it because of some rule they probably never even knew about. As for griefing when you already have a deed, that's another story.

Now to my point, people right now are dying for a game like wurm online. Everyone wants a sandbox game like this but the only option they're left with is minecraft. THe majority of people grew tired of minecraft already, probably mainly because of the lack of any significant updates the few years.

Wurm online doesn't have a low player retention because it is a "niche" genre, it is because the execution of the game is done horribly, and I hate it when people start justifying this by saying "oh it's a niche game that's why". The game is incredibly unbalanced and many parts of it are plain tedious. Not to mention the immense amount of bugs and glitchyness and things that simply make no sense. If all of these were fixed wurm would be a whole lot more popular than it is right now.

Why do they not fix it? I don't know. Ignorance, incompetence or a combination of both?

This game has a small population because we are the niche people that are patient or stupid enough to deal with all the issues this game has, the majority of people don't have that.

I genuinly doubt anyone suggesting this game be like WoW by the way, unless he mentioned a certain aspect and you're just making a gross exaggeration of it.

Edited by Elktazahjr
  • Like 3

Real Life. Some of us don't announce when we leave or when we might have an absence. It is because we know at some point we will be back, that we sometimes lurk the forums and that even though we don't log in.... We miss and love the game.

I hate you for this post and I hate anyone who says that wurm is not succesful because "it is a niche game"

First of all, how do you know so many people quit because of the enclosure rules? I barely even see new players anymore, and if they quit I want to doubt that they do it because of some rule they probably never even knew about. As for griefing when you already have a deed, that's another story.

Now to my point, people right now are dying for a game like wurm online. Everyone wants a sandbox game like this but the only option they're left with is minecraft. THe majority of people grew tired of minecraft already, probably mainly because of the lack of any significant updates the few years.

Wurm online doesn't have a low player retention because it is a "niche" genre, it is because the execution of the game is done horribly, and I hate it when people start justifying this by saying "oh it's a niche game that's why". The game is incredibly unbalanced and many parts of it are plain tedious. Not to mention the immense amount of bugs and glitchyness and things that simply make no sense. If all of these were fixed wurm would be a whole lot more popular than it is right now.

Why do they not fix it? I don't know. Ignorance, incompetence or a combination of both?

This game has a small population because we are the niche people that are patient or stupid enough to deal with all the issues this game has, the majority of people don't have that.

I genuinly doubt anyone suggesting this game be like WoW by the way, unless he mentioned a certain aspect and you're just making a gross exaggeration of it.

Well, Wurm shouldn't change those tedious things about it because that's what makes me want to play it. They just need to reel in the right people.

Well, Wurm shouldn't change those tedious things about it because that's what makes me want to play it. They just need to reel in the right people.

well fortunately you are not the only player playing this game

if you actually like tedium and hate a system that would be a lot more fun then yeah "mainstream" wurm would not be a game for you

I think making the "right people" area broader would be a better idea unless wurm intends on having ~ 550 actual players online at a given time (I'm not counting alts here). Also remember the important part to look at here are the amount of new players. How many veterans does wurm have at this point? How many people play this game because it is so much fun rather than because of all their creations, items and friends that will be gone if they decide to quit? That's years of dedication gone if they quit.

a more balanced game and more fun mechanics right than right click + click will objectively be more fun than what it currently is

Edited by Elktazahjr

paying-year.png

I didnt bother to read all the pages, so Im sorry if some one allready posted the graph of premium accounts through the last year. we lost a few since last summer, but gained a few since april this year. So seen in 2015 we more people are joining than quitting. all is good.