Sign in to follow this  
Yldrania

How come so many are quitting right now?

Wurm doesn't 'have a lock' on the survival sandbox idea. There's loads of games out there that are similar or are taking up the mantle. A newer one that I'd been reading about/heard about was Tree of Life. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-VZwWXvy2w)

If the game wants to continue to compete, they need to start fixing some of the things they are doing wrong, and improving the things that people have been suggesting they upgrade (For example, combat.).

I myself decided to quit after observing the sheer mockery the 'community' (Often PvP players.) is foisting upon the PvE server's problems, and the total lack of any action on the part of those 'in power'. The devs just 'took a vacation' right when they were supposed to be fixing a bunch of things, and dealing with some of the worse issues...IMO basically 'throwing us to the wolves', which is always 'classy'.

(Not sure how we got to arguing about what games were like Wurm on a thread about why people were quitting in droves...)

(Not sure how we got to arguing about what games were like Wurm on a thread about why people were quitting in droves...)

Because people do have options.

A lot of Wurm's player retention is the monopoly on the freedom to terraform and custom build, which other sandboxes are still missing.

Of course, if the freedom to build as one wishes on PvE keeps getting eroded by barely documented mechanics' changes (dropwurmians anyone?) and shady handling of thieving/griefing, forcing PvE players into adopting a PvP-style of building, then Wurm's extremely easy to replace.

PvP-style plot of land of my own?  Even my garrison on WoW (pretty much the opposite of my former deed building style on Wurm) will do the job for a military spot of my own.

PvP-style plot of land of my own?  Even my garrison on WoW (pretty much the opposite of my former deed building style on Wurm) will do the job for a military spot of my own.

Please no, keep it away.

Because people do have options.

A lot of Wurm's player retention is the monopoly on the freedom to terraform and custom build, which other sandboxes are still missing.

Of course, if the freedom to build as one wishes on PvE keeps getting eroded by barely documented mechanics' changes (dropwurmians anyone?) and shady handling of thieving/griefing, forcing PvE players into adopting a PvP-style of building, then Wurm's extremely easy to replace.

While people may have options, we can only control Wurm (or the development team can). Therefore, talking about such options really doesn't make any sense in this thread.

We should be focusing on how Wurm can improve, not on "exit strategies" via other games.

And please don't mention WoW.... 

I started playing over five years ago, after 3 years I took a brake and recenty I came back. I expected some great things to change, new mechanics, new mobs, new features, items, or at least bugfixes. And what I found amazed me. Everything stayed the same. After 2 years, the most game changing update was possibility of transfering ore from pile directly to cart without putting it to inventory first. Still the same bugs, ulgy graphics (with some new models and animated animals, wooow) and irritating things that should be changed ages ago, but apparently they are seen as features.

Ah, I forgot about almighty bridges update, that was promised when I started playing, OVER FIVE YEARS AGO!

Also, there are many great ideas in Suggestion and Ideas section on forum, however rarely (if any) one of them is implemented...

Thats not how it should look like. The game is still looking as advanced alpha, where a lot should be improved and a lot should be added. Game is not changing, is constant, nothing changes... I think the monotony leads people to end their adventure with Wurm, at least thats what happend to me.

I don't think this is the case. Every game has people leaving, so I guess Wurm is just receiving less new players and those chronic leavers in every game are starting to become noticeable.

While people may have options, we can only control Wurm (or the development team can). Therefore, talking about such options really doesn't make any sense in this thread.

We should be focusing on how Wurm can improve, not on "exit strategies" via other games.

And please don't mention WoW.... 

What's wrong with WoW

• Like 1

Wurm doesn't 'have a lock' on the survival sandbox idea. There's loads of games out there that are similar or are taking up the mantle. A newer one that I'd been reading about/heard about was Tree of Life. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-VZwWXvy2w)

If the game wants to continue to compete, they need to start fixing some of the things they are doing wrong, and improving the things that people have been suggesting they upgrade (For example, combat.).

I myself decided to quit after observing the sheer mockery the 'community' (Often PvP players.) is foisting upon the PvE server's problems, and the total lack of any action on the part of those 'in power'. The devs just 'took a vacation' right when they were supposed to be fixing a bunch of things, and dealing with some of the worse issues...IMO basically 'throwing us to the wolves', which is always 'classy'.

That game looks very limited and basic

These days I only log on for a short while to feed animals and repair stuff on my deed. There isn't much else to do since the economy got so messed up. I used to love to farm but after filling bsb's with crops that no one will buy, whats the point? You spend hours making something that only sells for a silver or so that you can get by foraging for a while (which is as exciting as watching paint dry). In a game with such a low population a 100% player based economy doesn't work.

In the game I spend most of my time playing these days, farming actually means something. You use your crops and materials to craft trade packs that you transport across the world in your wagon or ship to sell to NPC trade merchants for a decent profit. The farther you travel, the better price you get.  PvP has more purpose too because to maximize profit people transport several packs at once which can be stolen and sold by other players. 

If wurm had a system even similar to that, I would actually have some reason to leave my deed....

• Like 1

I have been playing Savage Lands.  It is fun with good combat but early beta.  No end game or advancement. No dedicated server.  So I am bored with it coming back to Wurm.  Wish the Wurm combat was close to that game,  Would be more immersive.  So let's see plate smithing, blacksmithing, woodcutting or mining?  I could just cook meals and grind my soul depth on my priest.  So many choices. 

From what I can tell, the population of Wurm seems to be stable.

I cannot agree that the developers do not listen to the players, however it is the development team that have their 'road-map' for Wurm, we simply buy into the vision.

I cannot speak for other players but I subscribe to Wurm because it gives challenge, enjoyment and a little bit of escapism. I do not play to try and make money.

As you can tell, I greatly enjoy Wurm and look forward to playing for years to come. I hope others can join me.

• Like 3

As you can see last night i make a post of why i quit because of a woman coming in between years of friendship and she destroy my relationship with him. now the post had been remove. 

Dont we have the right to post as long as there are no language involve? She is making use of Sandyar and i hope God will punish her someday

emas

• Like 1

look like my post last night have been remove :angry: just because i wrote the reason why i quit .

Real Life. Some of us don't announce when we leave or when we might have an absence. It is because we know at some point we will be back, that we sometimes lurk the forums and that even though we don't log in.... We miss and love the game.

That game looks very limited and basic

That game isn't even launched last I heard. (May have in the time since I last read about it.) That's like pre-beta version. Most games look simplistic/basic early on. Wurm is how old now? Wurm is supposed to be past alpha stage, and it looks as simplistic in many respects as a beta version, and seems about as buggy. lol

I have to disagree that Wurm looks simplistic or that the graphics are bad. Especially when you consider it's 2D.  When I compare it to when I first started a few years back, the difference is like night and day.  Those who complain about the graphics in Wurm simply have different tastes in graphics, and what they think looks good I generally find to be obnoxious.

Granted there are a lot of bugs that need squashing, and I have my share of complaints about how some things are done and/or handled.  But to be honest, I have never played any game in all my time of online gaming (since mid 90s), that didn't have bugs and things I like to complain about.  lol

But when it comes to the *looks* of the game, I'll be the first to say that some people's taste is all in their mouth.  But then, that's *my* opinion and reflects *my* tastes in graphics.   ;)

Things I find personally appealing and attractive range from the large to the small and I find Wurm to be a beautiful world. Bridges, multi-story buildings, the creativity of some people's deeds and the possibilities, etc., are all big in-your-face things that most people notice. 

But I'm also one who notices all the little things.  How many have actually looked at the sheaf of wheat in your hand when you're planting it?  It's gorgeous.  lol.  Or looked a horse in the eye?  Or watched how the grass waving tells you how strong the wind is?  Watched the surface of the water and how it moves with the wind direction?  (smoke too of course but that's pretty obvious).  Noticed how the clouds move with the wind direction and change shape as they go along?  The atmospherics alone in this game are light years better than your average mmo.

So many little things that I'll bet most never even notice.  Many do notice though, and like me, they all add to the overall experience when playing Wurm. (and this is a good place to slip in my complaint about the removal of wood types and that boats need more work. hehe)

As for people leaving.  There are as many reasons why people leave Wurm as there are people who leave Wurm.  Many come back, and some come and go like the tide.

You love it or you don't.  I left too for a while last year.  I was fed up and disgusted about a few things and told myself there are greener pastures out there.  Well, for some people maybe there are.  For me, I tried just about every game currently being developed, I went back to some games I had played in the past, tried some older ones I'd never played before, etc.  In the end, while some of them have many of the things I love about Wurm, not a single one has *all* of the things I love about Wurm.

So I finally had to conclude that for people like me and most of those who stay for years, those who keep saying Wurm sucks are absolutely correct.  It sucks you in, and if you try to leave it sucks you back.  lol.

:)

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 9

I have to disagree that Wurm looks simplistic or that the graphics are bad. Especially when you consider it's 2D.  When I compare it to when I first started a few years back, the difference is like night and day.  Those who complain about the graphics in Wurm simply have different tastes in graphics, and what they think looks good I generally find to be obnoxious.

For a java game... its actually pretty amazing good.. 

• Like 3

Wasn't referring to the graphics in simplicity. More referring to features. Ability to do *Insert activity here*...

Other than the character models, I enjoyed most of the 'graphics' portion of this game...(But I also have a higher end rig to be able to do so...I've seen some of the photos people post with lower end machines and I nearly gagged at how bad things were.)...and from what I understand, the character models have only really received like one facelift, and there's new clothing incoming...

Or watched how the grass waving tells you how strong the wind is?  Watched the surface of the water and how it moves with the wind direction?  (smoke too of course but that's pretty obvious).  Noticed how the clouds move with the wind direction and change shape as they go along? 

#mindblown

.....As for people leaving.  There are as many reasons why people leave Wurm as there are people who leave Wurm.  Many come back, and some come and go like the tide.

You love it or you don't.  I left too for a while last year.  I was fed up and disgusted about a few things and told myself there are greener pastures out there.  Well, for some people maybe there are.  For me, I tried just about every game currently being developed, I went back to some games I had played in the past, tried some older ones I'd never played before, etc.  In the end, while some of them have many of the things I love about Wurm, not a single one has *all* of the things I love about Wurm....

:)

Very nice post Amadee. Good to see that you have returned and are once again enjoying your time within Wurm, as well as posting on the Forums. I find that a stroll through my small Villages always provide a welcome respite from the sometimes shortcomings of a few aspects of the game. Many pleasant interludes are then provided by the new additions to make, which turn the mind further in the direction of positive daydreams of no real consequence either way, should the ending come as quite the surprise.

A long and winding road, to be sure...

Safe Travels

=Ayes=

• Like 1

One of my favorite game-based scenes is birch forest in winter with fog in Wurm. I seem to have lost the picture though... The game world here is well done. 

There are other things like the wind related items you mention. Look up into a tree that is able to be sprouted. They have spur-like growths on them.

• Like 2

I love fog. Don't know why it gets so much hate.

• Like 2

I haven't played in a while, which quite frankly has been difficult - I still consider Wurm to be the most inspiring game I have played to date.

The reason I have stopped playing for now is mainly for selfish reasons:

- I see no absolute way of catching up, especially when certain things get abused or when people get lucky and then things are patched because it was too easy.

- The population is amazing on both sides, Wild and Epic.  However I want to play with both together, it is quite impossible for the current me to spread my time between two different server clusters.  I wish we could go past this stupid stage where the population is spread out and combine all servers under one rule set, I miss the early Wild days.

Meh, whilst I miss the game, I can clearly see that I will return, play for a month, get OCD and stop again.  Whilst I understand Rolf is trying to cater to a mixed population, there are better ways of doing it, in my opinion. 

The biggest single reason people might quit right now is the enclosure rule change which allows more things to be bashed. Players who play on PvE want safety, more than anything else. That's why they play there. To remove that safety and not replace it with something is going to make players ragequit.

Mostly it's just random changes causing some plaeyrs to leave. Some players come back and some players are new to it. It's like the give and go of a tide, except the game is getting older and less water is coming in.

Mostly we're all here because it's a sandbox, but that's not the only reason, just the major one. But with the greater array of sandbox MMO's, the competition is stiffer. Wurm either has to become a clone of the best sandbox MMO out there or it has to fill a niche in the sandbox MMO genre. It can't dominate just by being a sandbox.

And it's getting older. All aging MMO's tend to lose people. Most do not have a resurgence for very long. It's just a fact. The vast majority of aging games will never relive their glory days or make a large gain in popularity. The vast majority of succesful companies do not stay with one game either. They make new ones or sequels. Or break up or merge.

I remember a conversation I had with soemoen on Epic when I first started. It went something like this:

Person A: "Hey Wurm Online should be more like WoW."

Person B "But it can't compete with WoW's resources and would fail miserably. It'd just be a sloppy cheap version of WoW and brushed aside. It should fill a niche instead. By filling a niche, it ensures its survival. WoW cannot serve every playstyle or fill every niche. That's where WoW is weak."

Edited by Lightonfoot

Exactly.  Which it's why it's so funny to see the hypocrisy of this community.

Deed owner last year:  You didn't pay for that land.  I should be able to bash my way in and grief you, even on a PVE server

Same deed owner now:  I demand REAL PVE.  I should not have my unlocked cart stolen!!!!  Theft is PVP!!!

So theft is "pvp", but you are totally cool with wrecking your way into someone's fencing, even with catapults (because siege weapons = PVE am I right?) stealing everything, and killing all animals.

Disgusting....